As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D) Shot

1101112131416»

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    That map is actually targeting states, not politicians. I don't think anyone is going to assassinate the entire state of michigan.

.. did you scroll down? the politicians are listed below the map. by name. followed by (x) number down.

I don't understand how anyone could possibly misconstrue it either.
    Come on, "x down" is incredibly common phrasing. Sarah Palin was not inciting people to violence, people are only jumping on this because they hate her so much.

Coinage on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kdrudy wrote: »
    If society has broken down then man cannot survive

Society has broken down

Thus man cannot survive

In the year 2525...

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Coinage wrote: »
    That map is actually targeting states, not politicians. I don't think anyone is going to assassinate the entire state of michigan.

.. did you scroll down? the politicians are listed below the map. by name. followed by (x) number down.

Come on, "x down" is incredibly common phrasing. Sarah Palin was not inciting people to violence, people are only jumping on this because they hate her so much.

Well that and her one word away from calling for violent uprising sentences, second amendment solutions, dont retreat reload, etc...
    galenblade wrote: »
    Now seeing reports that there was apparently a suspicious package left at her office. Bomb squad's checking it out.

Man nothing worse than a crazy with a back up plan.

It's probably just his ridiculous manifesto

override367 on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

When attempting to rebut arguments, it helps to have the slightest idea of what you're talking about.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That timeline at csgv.org is scary...

If you're wondering what kind of behavior violent political rhetoric encourages, it's that kind.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

They hate her because she is willing to make those kinds of comments, to create a divide between 'real Americans' and the majority of America. Because she incites people and talks about taking back the country while using incredibly inflammatory rhetoric linked with using firearms. She's very content to wink and nod at her supporters and nudge them without explicitly saying "Go kill these people" but the imagery she chose in that PAC picture to take back those counties speaks volumes.

Z0re on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

They hate her because she is willing to make those kinds of comments, to create a divide between 'real Americans' and the majority of America. Because she incites people and talks about taking back the country while using incredibly inflammatory rhetoric linked with using firearms. She's very content to wink and nod at her supporters and nudge them without explicitly saying "Go kill these people" but the imagery she chose in that PAC picture to take back those counties speaks volumes.
    I always thought people hated her because she's a fucking idiot more than her rhetoric. The Real Americans thing pisses me off too, but that is not violent at all. The gun imagery generally (I find the image more unfortunate in hindsight than anything else) does make me a bit uncomfortable but it's hardly incitement to violence, talking about a "war" is very common in politics.

And, of course, as the link posted earlier pointed out, almost no assassinations in US history were about anything anybody other than the assassin cared about.

Coinage on
  • Options
    tetsuoZshimatetsuoZshima Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I still don't know what I think of the whole thing. It's about a mile from my house. The Wells Fargo next to that Safeway is my bank. I guess I don't really care if it's political or not, to be honest. Crazy people need to shoot themselves, not others.

I find the last part to be rather offensive.

The reason why we have people like this killing other people has more to do with the breakdown of society than anything that is wrong with the individual. Some of us need to be a part of a community more than others, the alienation many adults feel in modern society that results from the inability for many individuals to find a place in it is a growing issue.

You can make it about the left, you can make it about the right, but what this is really about is society. Man cannot exist without meaning, so when he cannot find meaning, he will make his own.

I respect your right to feel this way; and to express it; it's non-inflammatory. I find it abhorrent in thought though. Sometimes animals are born with two heads; yes I believe gays are born gay; and guess what? I think crazy people have some wires connected differently upstairs. I blame society for Nazi's; I blame society for slavery; but to blame society for turning an individual "crazy" is just too far for me. The very definition of society implies a flock -- a group that works together; an outlier does not fit in society, nor is it created by society. Look, millions of kids get picked on in high school, many quite badly, but very, very few end up going on a killing spree. Society is a bitch; but it's not a simple blame-all for everyone's actions.

tetsuoZshima on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hate her because she's obviously not suited to run a Chevron yet doesn't care and wants to run the country based on beliefs I find wildly outdated.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While I agree that Sarah Palin is dogwhistling with some of her violent rhetoric, my opinion of her is low enough that I don't really think she's doing it intentionally. She just apes the language and tropes she sees around her. (Which in its own way is even more frightening - watching an echo chamber form in real time)

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Eh, the primary difference is that the mainstream left has always abhorred these people. The right is embracing its crazies - they won't this guy (at least I fucking hope not), because he's crossed whatever line that they have, but most of the crazies so far have been either defended by them or not distanced from them

There's also the fact that deaths caused by left-wing whackos are almost non-existant.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eh, the primary difference is that the mainstream left has always abhorred these people. The right is embracing its crazies - they won't this guy (at least I fucking hope not), because he's crossed whatever line that they have, but most of the crazies so far have been either defended by them or not distanced from them

There's also the fact that deaths caused by left-wing whackos are almost non-existant.

Same on the right you know.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Depends upon if you count wars or not.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh fucking hell here we go.

"Left's better!"

"Right's better!"

I fucking CRY for a bigger-than-two-party government. CRY goddammit.

Kagera on
  • Options
    TaxexemptionTaxexemption Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I still don't know what I think of the whole thing. It's about a mile from my house. The Wells Fargo next to that Safeway is my bank. I guess I don't really care if it's political or not, to be honest. Crazy people need to shoot themselves, not others.

The reason why we have people like this killing other people has more to do with the breakdown of society than anything that is wrong with the individual. Some of us need to be a part of a community more than others, the alienation many adults feel in modern society that results from the inability for many individuals to find a place in it is a growing issue.

You can make it about the left, you can make it about the right, but what this is really about is society. Man cannot exist without meaning, so when he cannot find meaning, he will make his own.

I respect your right to feel this way; and to express it; it's non-inflammatory. I find it abhorrent in thought though. Sometimes animals are born with two heads; yes I believe gays are born gay; and guess what? I think crazy people have some wires connected differently upstairs. I blame society for Nazi's; I blame society for slavery; but to blame society for turning an individual "crazy" is just too far for me. The very definition of society implies a flock -- a group that works together; an outlier does not fit in society, nor is it created by society. Look, millions of kids get picked on in high school, many quite badly, but very, very few end up going on a killing spree. Society is a bitch; but it's not a simple blame-all for everyone's actions.

You view him as an outlier, someone that was different. I am curious, what do you think people are supposed to be in this day and age? and how does modern society help someone that is that way to succeed? How does it help them to find purpose?

We live in a society that provides neither purpose nor meaning to the individual. I think that to be a significant problem.

Taxexemption on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Coinage wrote:
    The Real Americans thing pisses me off too, but that is not violent at all.
    Yeah, since when has othering ever led to violence???
    lol

Nartwak on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This is leading to the 'H' word isn't it?

Kagera on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hores?

Because that is the only acceptable answer. I don't care if it's misspelled.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Purpose and meaning are where you find them. Existentialism ho!

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, has anyone else read Balance of Power? This shit is like straight up predicted by Richard North Patterson

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

You view him as an outlier, someone that was different. I am curious, what do you think people are supposed to be in this day and age? and how does modern society help someone that is that way to succeed? How does it help them to find purpose?

We live in a society that provides neither purpose nor meaning to the individual. I think that to be a significant problem.

In the words of Kurt Vonnegut;
    "He, like all novice lunatics, needed some bad ideas, too, so that his craziness could have shape and direction.

Bad chemicals and bad ideas were the yin and yang of madness."

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to know where all the lunatics who espouse open carry as a way to prevent violence were.

I've heard dozens of people who are for carrying assault rifles around in cities say shit like, "Well if everyone had a gun that shit would have NEVER happend, I'd have solved THAT problem myself!". Anything from bank robberies to rapes to public shootings.

Guess what? 13 People still got fucking shot assholes.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I'd like to know where all the lunatics who espouse open carry as a way to prevent violence were.

I've heard dozens of people who are for carrying assault rifles around in cities say shit like, "Well if everyone had a gun that shit would have NEVER happend, I'd have solved THAT problem myself!". Anything from bank robberies to rapes to public shootings.

Because they all think that a gun makes them Batman.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

I'm pretty sure that crazy people aren't specifically wired to go after dem representatives who have just won hard-fought elections.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    dispatch.o wrote: »

well, open carry has been legal for many, many years

so 'some people got shot to death, tragically' isn't really proof of... anything, i guess

i don't perceive the point you're making

Organichu on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say the reason he was able to get so close to her was because he wasn't open carrying..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    this is going off the rails

let's try again tomorrow or something

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.