As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NOBODY EXPECTS THE [CHAT] INQUISITION!

1484950515254»

• Options
    BlacktronBlacktron Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    yeah okay let's not start this debate in the chat thread. sorry i encouraged it.

someone can start a new thread about this stuff tomorrow when we've had a little more time to gather information and reflect

it's really a sad, tragic thing

Umm wow so that spun out of control quickly. I apologize if I was not so clear. All I was saying is that crazy people do not live in a vacuum. This particular crazy person lives in southern Arizona, which is not a climate particularly favorable to Democrats. I do not blame conservatives particularly, though I will note that this day could not have happened without their rhetoric. So umm, I think this will be my last post in this particular [Chat] thread, because when I said I have been ghosting this forum for a while, I truly meant it, and I really understand the need to not shit up a Chat thread with political crap. If you guys want to start another thread about this event I will try to explain my reasoning in it, but right now its 4:30 AM where I live and I am on drink #5 so it would be best if I tried to post when I am a bit more sober.

Also... <3 our Chiropteran overlords. They are more relevant to Human evolution than perhaps you know.

Blacktron on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Speeding is pretty expensive here too. If I was like 10kph over the limit it could easily be like 400 dollars. But I suspect that I was only very slightly speeding.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    Speeding is pretty expensive here too. If I was like 10kph over the limit it could easily be like 400 dollars. But I suspect that I was only very slightly speeding.

This is why I leave my GPS active, but not set to give directions (I know the route).

Speed camera warnings.

japan on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I think there'll be a new thread about all this tomorrow. I'm just not sure if the topic is going to be Palin or dc v heller

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Those cameras can be very sneaky on unfamiliar roads.

Honk on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sooooooo,

Who's next up for being a shot democrat then?

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

They were a massive problem on UK roads for a long time. The local police authority got to keep a cut of the fines from the cameras, so they would do shit like hide them behind hedges, or place them halfway down sliproads onto faster roads so they caught people accelerating to join the faster moving traffic but would move the speed limit signs so that the higher limit technically didn't apply until after the camera.

Now, they have to be flourescent yellow, clearly visible, signed in advance, and there are some pretty tight restrictions on where they can be placed. So it's got a bit better.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So I checked the table and I'll most definitely be owing $300. That's harsh. My bad though.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »

They were a massive problem on UK roads for a long time. The local police authority got to keep a cut of the fines from the cameras, so they would do shit like hide them behind hedges, or place them halfway down sliproads onto faster roads so they caught people accelerating to join the faster moving traffic but would move the speed limit signs so that the higher limit technically didn't apply until after the camera.

Now, they have to be flourescent yellow, clearly visible, signed in advance, and there are some pretty tight restrictions on where they can be placed. So it's got a bit better.

Ours have to be signed in advance as well. They're blue and aluminum in color so pretty hard to spot when it's dark.

Putting them on sliproads and ramps is a pretty dickish move.

Other than that I've always been skeptic of the fact that they use a strong as hell photo flash, how good can that be during the night? Blinding the driver...

Honk on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love firefly. I want to hire a companion. I am so alone.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wahhhhhhhhhzilla.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    wazilla wrote: »
    I love firefly. I want to hire a companion. I am so alone.

Vote yes on legalised prostitution.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    But like, they choose me! To give them money. Then super bang them.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hmm you can edit your own thread titles from the main subforum screen.

• Options
    edited January 2011
    There was a major blizzard yesterday while I was driving down from the mountains. I saw one car do a 180 into a rail.

And accidents happen mainly because people are pretty dumb. There was an SUV trying to overtake me 200 meters before the two lanes merged into one. He gained like 10cm on me every second, so he was extremely slow. So right before the merge I had push the pedal to make him realise that his car and mine could not occupy the same space at once, and I jumped like ten more meters in front of him at once.

If there is a long belt of cars going 30kph below the limit, it's probably for a good reason. And if you then try to overtake your way forward in a car that clearly cannot handle it, you're pretty dumb and should pretty much be shot and disposed of for endangering the public.

Honk on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, these pokeyman games start off so slowly. Trying to get back into the spirit of the series by going through Crystal, and it's pretty numbing.

Tamin on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Doesn't making the cameras plainly obvious defeat the point of catching people who are speeding because they think they can get away with it?

I'm sure there's some logic I am missing, and I understand that there was an opening to corruption there in some cases, but it seems like some issue with only having cameras that will stop people from speeding for a small window, then let them crank it back up again.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The commentators of the womens skiing events are pretty casually sexist. Referring to the competitors as little girls in various ways more or less all the time.

Honk on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tamin wrote: »
    Man, these pokeyman games start off so slowly. Trying to get back into the spirit of the series by going through Crystal, and it's pretty numbing.
    It's Pokemon wtf did you expect?

Aldo on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

That's some stiff competition though

are you hard onough to push the deal to the climax

simonwolf on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    It's Pokemon wtf did you expect?

What I'm getting?

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    simonwolf wrote: »

Doesn't making the cameras plainly obvious defeat the point of catching people who are speeding because they think they can get away with it?

I'm sure there's some logic I am missing, and I understand that there was an opening to corruption there in some cases, but it seems like some issue with only having cameras that will stop people from speeding for a small window, then let them crank it back up again.

No matter if they're concealed to begin with, people will eventually learn where they are. All the cameras will ever be good at is slowing the traffic down from it's natural pace to the limit for a stretch of 100 meters. People who are actual speeding offenders - the ones that go 130kph on every road all the time - just hide their face behind the sunblocker and never get any tickets because of it.

The cameras basically suck at controlling the limits and will never be good at it unless there is a constant string of cameras to control a whole stretch of road (impossible to construct because one camera costs about 100 000 dollars). All they are good at is raking in an occasional cash sum for the police budget.

Honk on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What I'm getting?
    well then its ok

Aldo on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

No matter if they're concealed to begin with, people will eventually learn where they are. All the cameras will ever be good at is slowing the traffic down from it's natural pace to the limit for a stretch of 100 meters. People who are actual speeding offenders - the ones that go 130kph on every road all the time - just hide their face behind the sunblocker and never get any tickets because of it.

The cameras basically suck at controlling the limits and will never be good at it unless there is a constant string of cameras to control a whole stretch of road (impossible to construct because one camera costs about 100 000 dollars). All they are good at is raking in an occasional cash sum for the police budget.

And potentially slowing traffic in certain accident prone stretches of road.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

That's some stiff competition though

are you hard onough to push the deal to the climax

Pffff, hahahahaha.

:winky:

WMain00 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    I saw one car do a 180 into a rail.

This sentence turned spectacular when you miss the "a".

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hiding your face doesn't seem like a thing that should be usable to avoid a fine, though. Don't cameras normally target the license plate instead?

I think down here they mostly use covert speed cameras in parked cars, or wheelie bins, instead of having a sitting camera waiting for people to learn where they are.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah. Like the road I was driving on for instance, the limit is 70kph but everyone, and I really do mean everyone, drives at least 80kph on it. Even during heavy traffic - it's become the de facto limit of that road. That happens everywhere.

So during traffic the one thing that happens is that the fleet of moving cars temporarily slow down and then speed up again.

And like I mentioned, if the image doesn't display your face you can't get a fine from the camera. So those who really do want to be assholes and go way over the limit do so freely.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hiding your face doesn't seem like a thing that should be usable to avoid a fine, though. Don't cameras normally target the license plate instead?

I think down here they mostly use covert speed cameras in parked cars, or wheelie bins, instead of having a sitting camera waiting for people to learn where they are.

It's a loophole. If they can't confirm your identity you can without any trouble claim that it wasn't you. You don't even need to help identifying who it was.

"Oh I left the keys in the car door so someone random must've borrowed it and then put it back. I didn't even notice the car was gone for a while."

They probably went through a few of these cases and then decided to not even try again.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

If nobody knows the camera is there, then it doesn't accomplish its alleged purpose, which is to reduce the speed at which people drive on the road.

In theory, you would think that someone caught by a speeding camera would stop speeding, but that doesn't happen. Particularly when, as they were at the time, people were being prosecuted for the likes of 74 on a 70 limit road.

The proliferation of speeding cameras is actually one of the little-discussed factors in driving up insurance premiums in the UK. Because people get caught by them essentially at random, it's broken the correlation between speeding convictions and increased risk, so rather than an insurance company being able to load the premium of drivers with a lot of speeding convictions, it's necessary to load all premiums because you're no longer able to differentiate a particular class of higher risk driver.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    I saw one car do a 180 into a rail.

This sentence turned spectacular when you miss the "a".

Yeah that would've been way more scary.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

It's a loophole. If they can't confirm your identity you can without any trouble claim that it wasn't you. You don't even need to help identifying who it was.

"Oh I left the keys in the car door so someone random must've borrowed it and then put it back. I didn't even notice the car was gone for a while."

They probably went through a few of these cases and then decided to not even try again.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that loophole doesn't exist down here, because the majority of cameras aren't signposted. Odd that they wouldn't close it on your end.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't see how they can close that loophole really. I mean they can always send out the fine, but since people know they can easily contest it, it won't work most of the time.

If it comes to court they have to actually prove it was you, and they can't without positive ID. Everyone may still know it was you, but you'd be innocent due to lack of evidence. Also they don't want to spend money going through this process, they want to rake in easy money by just issuing fines.

There's a limit where speeding becomes a jailable crime though and that's pretty different, since you'd be summoned to court anyway.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't see how they can close that loophole really. I mean they can always send out the fine, but since people know they can easily contest it, it won't work most of the time.

If it comes to court they have to actually prove it was you, and they can't without positive ID. Everyone may still know it was you, but you'd be innocent due to lack of evidence. Also they don't want to spend money going through this process, they want to rake in easy money by just issuing fines.

There's a limit where speeding becomes a jailable crime though and that's pretty different, since you'd be summoned to court anyway.

Well, that's why it becomes a license plate issue as opposed to a facial issue - you aren't fining the person who was driving at the time, you're fining the registered owner of the vehicle as it was their responsibility. The facial thing would just come into play when the owner needed to decide "who was driving" and needed to give them the money to pay the fine.

Doesn't seem like such a hard loophole to close, just move the burden of payment from a face to a car.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shopping arrived earlier than it was supposed to.

It's a good thing I decided to put on clothes.

Also they keep sending me paella rice instead of risotto rice. Grumble.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shopping arrived earlier than it was supposed to.

It's a good thing I decided to put on clothes.

Also they keep sending me paella rice instead of risotto rice. Grumble.

You get groceries delivered to you? That is awesome!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Ugh. Nap time.

I hate having colds, I get exhausted just sitting still.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I guess but like I said, the owner will just say the car was temporarily used by someone and he doesn't know who. Maybe he "forgot" the key in the car door. That would be negligent of him but not at all punishable.

So he'd be alright, claiming someone else had done the deed.

Honk on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Honk, start a new chat.

SOTAR, you are Honk's faithful sidekick on this.

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.