As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game of the Year 2010 Poll [*RESULTS*]

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is a great well rounded list, also yay for S&P2 hitting #53.

earthwormadam on
  • TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mcc wrote: »
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    Majority opinions mean precisely sod all.

Well, this is a poll. In a poll, majority opinions mean everything. That is what a poll is!

I didn't say that :(

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Christ, Mass Effect 2 completely obliterated the competition. I mean, it's a great game, and it's good that everyone loved it (including me), but it's also a little sad to it getting such thoroughly disproportionate love compared to all the other amazing games this year.
    I expected Stalker to fare much better.
    I don't know if I did, really. I remember SoC placing well when it came out, but a lot of people had that experience and then didn't keep up with the series. The STALKER thread around here is pretty active, but outside of a handful of us, a lot of that is because new people keep picking up SoC. What I did expect to place higher is Metro 2033. I'm pretty disappointed in how little attention that game has gotten, and is apparently still continuing to get.
    It's weird to look at the end list and see something like Angry Birds preceding Alpha Protocol, VVVVVV, and Stalker.
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see Angry Birds in the top 20. I downloaded it because it was free for Android and I don't get it. I really don't understand what makes it popular.
    Remember that these polls are a reflection of what we played and enjoyed over the year. Things with low barriers to entry tend to place abnormally high because everyone played them. It's the same reason you had stuff like Iji and You Have To Burn The Rope rank well last year.

Monger on
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Monger wrote: »
    Christ, Mass Effect 2 completely obliterated the competition. I mean, it's a great game, and it's good that everyone loved it (including me), but it's also a little sad to it getting such thoroughly disproportionate love compared to all the other amazing games this year.

Yeah, the jump between 2nd and 1st place is crazy.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I think Fable 3 is the lowest ranked, high-profile game on the list at 43.

Well, depending on your definition of "high-profile", Mafia 2 is sitting at #82.

I mean, Madden 11 is at #125, but you know, sports.

Edit: Oh, and Epic Mickey at #100.

Edit the second: On another note, there were a few 2010 games I own but didn't have enough play time to honestly vote for them, such as Amnesia, Mafia 2, and Metro 2033. I'm curious if anyone else found themselves in a similar predicament.

Lawndart on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I think Fable 3 is the lowest ranked, high-profile game on the list at 43.

Well, depending on your definition of "high-profile", Mafia 2 is sitting at #82.

I mean, Madden 11 is at #125, but you know, sports.

Edit: Oh, and Epic Mickey at #100.

Edit the second: On another note, there were a few 2010 games I own but didn't have enough play time to honestly vote for them, such as Amnesia, Mafia 2, and Metro 2033. I'm curious if anyone else found themselves in a similar predicament.

Well the steam sale caused this problem for me in general. I'm sure I'm not alone.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kuratosu wrote: »

Actually, the fact that it got such an overwhelming vote when it came out last January speaks volumes, considering gamers usually have the memories/attention spans of a small rodent

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know if I did, really. I remember SoC placing well when it came out, but a lot of people had that experience and then didn't keep up with the series.

Yeah, but from the sidelines it felt like Pripyat was getting a fair amount of attention for all the stability and gameplay improvements over its infamous predecessor. It seemed like more accessibility meant a better point for interested parties deterred in the past by bugginess to hop on and experience the Zone.

Your point about Angry Birds is well taken, and at $1 a lot of people were exposed to it, but it's still hard for me to fathom it showing up in anyone's top 10 list (where most of its votes come from) unless there wasn't much competition, i.e. few games played and all ranked.
    Opium wrote: »
    By that logic the Oscar for Best Picture would go to something like Transformers: Rise of the Fallen and Two and a Half Men would count as sophisticated literature. Just because a majority likes something does not make it de facto high quality.

There's a pretty sharp difference between appeal to popularity of a general audience (oh no Britney Spears sold 30 hojillion records) and appeal to popularity of a more limited audience like a particular forum. If you're going to toss out the entire spectrum, then the Academy Awards poll of 6,000 or so doesn't somehow get a pass.
    Xagarath wrote: »
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    I thought ME2 was pretty much perfect in a lot of ways and was the most polished game experience I've had
    And I repeat:
    If your only criteria for considering a game the best of the year was how polished it was, I find that deeply and depressingly dull.

I think you're missing something.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I appove of this final winners list because Darksiders is somewhere in it.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Best RPG was a shooter and best FPS was not a shooter. What a crazy world. Also a little sad that King's Bounty couldn't get onto the list because The Legend came out in the twilight of 2009, but otherwise, fun little poll. Nice to see Alpha Protocol do so well and kind of interesting to see Conviction do so poorly.

PC as a platform seemed to do pretty well: there are more PC exclusive in the top 10 than there are games that can't be played on the PC, which wasn't the case in '09 or '08, for instance. VVVVVV got some serious love.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually really liked Conviction but I think that stems from me not really having any investment in the series prior to its release. It is a radical departure from other SC games and if you were interested in Conviction because it said Splinter Cell on the box then I imagine that you were bound for disappointment.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Mass Effect 2 is a fantastic game. Maybe you don't like it, but that is your opinion, and its a goose opinion because regardless of how much you personally dislike a game, you cannot disregard such an overwhelming majority opinion.

I'm probably one of the most outspoken critics of ME2 on these forums, and I don't begrudge it winning. I do, however begrudge this kind of "we are the champions, no time for losers" mocking. As it's one of the reasons I soured on it in the first place :?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Mass Effect 2 is a fantastic game. Maybe you don't like it, but that is your opinion, and its a goose opinion because regardless of how much you personally dislike a game, you cannot disregard such an overwhelming majority opinion.

I'm probably one of the most outspoken critics of ME2 on these forums, and I don't begrudge it winning. I do, however begrudge this kind of "we are the champions, no time for losers" mocking. As it's one of the reasons I soured on it in the first place :?

That's just Dhalphir though. Mass Effect 2 was indeed my game of the year, but if you didn't like it you didn't like it. At the same time though, I don't like how some people (not you) do begrudge the game for winning the top spot.

Then again I voiced by own dislike for two of the other Top 20 winners so I guess I'm part of the problem haha. (Though my dislike of Alpha Protocol is almost entirely based on technical issues on the PC, not the dialogue that people seem to applaud the game for.)

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

That's just Dhalphir though. Mass Effect 2 was indeed my game of the year, but if you didn't like it you didn't like it. At the same time though, I don't like how some people (not you) do begrudge the game for winning the top spot.

Then again I voiced by own dislike for two of the other Top 20 winners so I guess I'm part of the problem haha. (Though my dislike of Alpha Protocol is almost entirely based on technical issues on the PC, not the dialogue that people seem to applaud the game for.)
    It was actually in my top 10 of the year, so I was part of the problem

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Huh, for some reason I'm surprised ME2 won the title. I mean, if it was in the top 3 that'd be one thing. But I had the impression that RDR generated more buzz on the forum than ME2 did. Maybe my memory is just a little fuzzy.

At any rate, nice info to see as always. And thanks for running this gig again mcc. :^:

Henroid on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Huh, for some reason I'm surprised ME2 won the title. I mean, if it was in the top 3 that'd be one thing. But I had the impression that RDR generated more buzz on the forum than ME2 did. Maybe my memory is just a little fuzzy.

At any rate, nice info to see as always. And thanks for running this gig again mcc. :^:

The ME2 G+T thread went through 50 pages (thats 50 posts per page) every few days when it first came out and is still cycling through a new thread every 2-3 weeks this far down the track. AND SE++ has one that doesn't exactly run slowly too.

Dhalphir on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I never had any doubt about Mass Effect 2 winning. Disappointed but not surprised that Alan Wake was all the way down at 22, but I suspect that's because not enough people played it.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yes but then you have to take into account that RDR is actually really boring.

Adus on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not surprised my ME2 being on top. I put it there too, not even so much out of a sense of awe or anything, but that I couldn't think of much else to put there.

Usually in a voting period, later events or entrants have a significant advantage. So yeah, ME2 stands out there (except Bioware have been releasing DLC throughout the year and thus have kept interest up). It also explains (to me) Super Meat Boy's relatively high placement - it'd probably drop ten ranks if it were released last January; XBLA darlings like MNC are far down the list since I assume most people have moved on and mostly forgotten. In another 4 months it'll be the same with SMB.

Yeah, I think my tastes are now officially no longer mainstream. While I can see the appeal in nearly every game in the top 20, most of them don't excite me at all, even if I did play them.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Adus wrote: »

Yes but then you have to take into account that RDR is actually really boring.

The multi was really fun for a couple weeks. But when people had cycled through the fairly limited content/population dropped enough that you couldn't find friends to play with, which that needed more then most - it just completely vanished.

Leitner on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I say any sense of RDR being boring is just them doing a good job simulating the new frontier.

>_>

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still say Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror should have won.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RDR > Starcraft = All is right in the world

While I enjoyed ME2 a lot and personally wouldn't put it in my top ten, I can see the merits and am totally happy with it winning.

Super Meat Boy at #6! Wooooooooooo!

UnbreakableVow on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Blue map wrote: »
    6. Super Meat Boy (3205)
    7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (3006)
    So does anyone else remember how a bunch of people in the XBLA thread ripped the hell out of Super Meat Boy prior to its release? Yeah, hindsight is funny sometimes.

I am totally okay with admitting that I was 100% dead wrong.

That kind of game with that kind of picky platforming didn't sound fun at all to me. I hated N+, I thought it controlled like shit and that when I got through something it was based on pure luck, because it brought absolutely no sense of satisfaction.

Hearing about another indie 2D platformer that would necessitate thousands of deaths had me yelling "boo!", but luckily there was a demo available

I didn't even dig the demo that much, honestly. I was like "Well...better than I expected but whatever"

And then I got this feeling in me like two days later and I just bought it straight off and wasn't able to put it down. It's wonderful.

You didn't need the ranking for SMG2 in that post though, 3D Mario games are trash :wink:

UnbreakableVow on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll admit I was one of the soul sucking deadites who voted for ME2 as my favourite game of 2010. It may not have been the most cutting of edge games that pushed the limits of the concept of what a game is to the limit, but what it did do was improve on the combat immensely from the first game (also among my all time favourites as an experience, even one with flaws), made the cutscenes highly enjoyable, added a 'quick time event' mechanic to the dialogue that was endlessly entertaining (I don't care how Paragon I play my character, Renegade interrupts are funny and awesome as hell) and produced a soundtrack that I find so enjoyable I would like to give some credit to it for helping me lose weight this past year.

Normandy Reborn, Suicide Mission and The End Run are all VERY high on my music to play to keep me motivated for [strike]killing enemy combatants in droves[/strike] pushing myself on the cardio machines.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Opium wrote: »

By that logic the Oscar for Best Picture would go to something like Transformers: Rise of the Fallen and Two and a Half Men would count as sophisticated literature. Just because a majority likes something does not make it de facto high quality.

Bingo.
    Majority opinions mean precisely sod all.

I'm not saying ME2 was bad, mind you, I'm saying it wasn't game of the year material by a long, long stretch, especially not in a year as strong on innovation and imagination as the one we've just had.

b5pbbn.jpg

battledrill on

Ohh man was '10 the only year Fluidity could have been nominated? I just played the demo on WiiWare and it's kinda awesome. It's aka Hydroventure for PAL people.

Ufouria is so funny, I love the silly/hilarious spritework. Sigh... I didnt do my job recognising all these obscure Nintendo titles.

Lenore03 on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Disappointed but not surprised that Alan Wake was all the way down at 22, but I suspect that's because not enough people played it.
    Plenty of people played Alan Wake. I'm actually surprised that it ranked as high as it did. The thing with it is that, while the writing and the presentation and the atmosphere and the tv show are all superb, it's kind of a chore to play. The combat is great in short bursts, but there's so goddamn much of it and it never changes. No new abilities or enemy types or anything at all to mix it up. No other gameplay mechanics at all beyond shooting. Occasionally there are some pretty great setpieces, but it's just not enough to keep it from getting super repetitive super fast. Near the end, I was salivating to see where the story was going, but I could barely force myself to actually play the game anymore. Though I guess it was partially my fault for jumping immediately into hard.

Monger on
  • SurfaceBeneathSurfaceBeneath regular
    edited January 2011
    As with any GotY poll, there is a balance between the number of people who played the game and the quality of the game itself and a game has to have both to score the top spot. Look at CODBLOPS and Amnesia for example of games that had one category but may have faltered in the other and thus fell down the list a great deal because of it. CODBLOPS sold something like 4 times the amount of copies Me2 did, but it's also kind of a vapid experience, something you play and enjoy but don't particularly remember too well. Amnesia is probably the most emotionally affecting game I've played all year but since its sales are rather low, it placed very low on the list as well. Saying ME2 won just because a lot of people played it is only half true because the critical reviews for ME2 also happened to be the highest of any game released this year (if metacritic is any judge), so again, it's a mix of an outstanding game as well as plenty of popularity.

My most pleasant surprise is Super Meat Boy placing so high. I actually didn't place it on my list because I just got the game a week ago and I'm amazed at how great it is. If I were to go back and revise my list, I'd probably throw it at 3 easy. Just Cause 2 got some love too, though I wish it were a little higher as it's easily my favorite GTA-like game ever.

SurfaceBeneath on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Everyone who bought ME2 that I know said, AT WORST, it wasn't any better than Mass Effect 1 and a couple said it was a bit worse but they still enjoyed it. Thats the worst I've ever heard anyone (who has actually played it for any significant length of time) say about Mass Effect 2,

Dhalphir on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    EdS25 wrote: »
    Games I think not enough people played: Nier, Infinite Space, Lara Croft:GOL. Particularly Lara - I don't know anyone that has tried that and not loved it (when played co-op). I can pore over stats and spreadsheets for hours and what would be really fascinating to me would be to know what people actually played, and how they voted. For example, if only 22 of us played Infinite Space, and we all had it in our top 20 somewhere (just an example - if you didn't like it that's fine) that would mean something. 999 may be an example of this where "everyone" that played it ranked it.

Sadly, I honestly think the Lara Croft name was more detrimental than beneficial. I'm guessing most people though it would be another average third person action/adventure game like the previous Tomb Raider titles, so they just skipped it. I know that's what happened with me, until I downloaded the demo on a whim and was thoroughly wowed. Had it been a new IP, and had a bit more of a marketing push behind it, it could have been this years Shadow Complex, IMO.

Though shipping without online coop probably hurt it a bunch too, which is a shame because the game honestly had the best coop implementation I've ever seen in a game. Coop not only changes how you play the game, but the entire game itself is altered to make the puzzle solving a two person affair. A lot of love was put into that coop.

Coop coop coop.

Undead Scottsman on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmmmmm.

17 of the top 20 games this year I have absolutely no interest in playing.

Am I getting old or something?

It's just lack of taste.

And ME2 is fucking awesome.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hated the gameplay in Mass Effect #1 and thus ignored Mass Effect 2. It seems I may have made a mistake. What platform is best for me to give it a go on?

Also I can't see how being a cowboy can be classed as boring. I'm still putting some time in to the multiplayer with a friend, sometimes we just boot up free roam and mess around for hours.

And thanks again to Mcc for the list.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited January 2011
    PC is the best if viable due to the modding capability

Dhalphir on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There aren't too many mods for ME2. While I'd still recommend PC just for the bump in graphics and KB+M controls, you should probably just play it on whatever system has the controller you like (it's not natively compatible with the 360 pad on PC).

If you have one, you should also seriously consider the PS3 version coming soon since it'll include all DLC so far.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There aren't too many mods for ME2. While I'd still recommend PC just for the bump in graphics and KB+M controls, you should probably just play it on whatever system has the controller you like (it's not natively compatible with the 360 pad on PC).

If you have one, you should also seriously consider the PS3 version coming soon since it'll include all DLC so far.

Yeah, I meant PC, 360 or PS3, they're all options. Being it's not natively compatible with the 360 pad though I may just pick it up on the 360 itself, I imagine it'll be cheap enough by now.

I like to game whilst lazing in my couch, Keyboard + Mouse makes me sit up straight :)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited January 2011
    There may not be specific mods for ME2, but the sheer amount of customisability in the coalesced.ini makes it well worth a purchase on PC.

For example, there is one specific character you don't get access to until very late in the game, but it seems that the developers originally intended him to be available earlier as there is a TON of unique dialoge (dozens and dozens of lines, both of his and of other characters in reaction to him) that you cannot access on the 360 but can on the PC by modifying the file to allow you to have access to him earlier. It breaks continuity a bit, but only in a story sense, not in a gameplay sense, and is the kind of thing you only do after you've played through once or twice already obviously.

if having to KBAM is a dealbreaker go for 360 but its a much better experience on PC.

In addition, if you intend to play the game more than once, a little minigame that Bioware saw fit to include, that is, scanning planets for minerals, while nifty the first playthrough, becomes INCREDIBLY dull in subsequent playthroughs but you have to do it anyway to finance upgrades, and the PC version lets you just skip that completely and just buy upgrades as you find them, rather than having to find upgrades and then STILL scour planets for minerals to research them.

Dhalphir on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

All the amazing games this year? I can't really name any amazing ones that've come out over the last 10 days... :P

I'd put the overwhelming ME2 popularity down to it being a high profile game in what was overall, a pretty mediocre year. ME2 was my number 2 I think, but if it had come out in 2009 it probably would've been down around the 5th position or lower (underneath at least Uncharted 2, Batman, AC2 and Infamous).
    Darlan wrote: »
    The real story here is Call of Duty finally getting properly punished for throwing out the same mediocre AI and more or less the exact same MP mode again and again. (Which the developers of Blops didn't even make in the first place!) All the way down to 18! Beaten by Alpha Protocol! That's justice right there.

I was kinda annoyed it even got that far up the list but I guess your view is a nicer outlook on it. Black Ops' single player campaign was horrendous, ratcheting up MW2's stupidity and adding some really incompetent design into the mix as well. For all its stupidity, MW2's scripting was generally pretty intuitive and it all felt very natural. Black Ops on the other hand felt like a robot, requiring you to specifically go to different spots to trigger an end to the enemies infinite respawns or whatever.

Oh and Grinch, you could just wait for the PS3 version to drop in price. That way you get to choose the ME1 story variations without having to play the game again and get all the DLC packaged in.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ME2 winning should have been expected, but it's still a testament to its quality that a game from January blew everything else out of the water. '10 was a pretty bad year for new games (I only voted for 7 on my ticket) and somehow 5 of my picks were in the top 10, so I feel like I played the best of the best, as I usually do.

Minecraft as an FPS is mind-boggling, I suspect it has something to do with keeping Halo off the awards?

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Also I can't see how being a cowboy can be classed as boring.

the real 'wild west' was actually fucking boring that's why.

I voted ME2 as my #1 as well, even though I wasn't hot on the gameplay

Alfred J. Kwak on