As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[UO] Come back, my Lads! - IPY 2.0

• Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    UO had the best player economy.

Khildith on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Khildith wrote: »
    UO had the worst ever in any game player economy.

Fixed that for you. It was solid for a little while, but it got ramped up to a ridiculous point, even before the game changing pub 16.

Trades were done in millions of gold, you either got crap for a few thousand, or you had a tamer and made the millions it took to get the high end lot.

Seriously, worst player economy for high end magic gear. For crafted gear, I agree.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    amateursuperheroamateursuperhero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Post AoS UO economy was atrocious. But yeah, in theory I think UO has the best player economy of any MMO. It just requires gold-sinks to keep inflation down. From what I've read, IPY has a ton of gold sinks to control money supply. Like for instance, when a red dies to a Paladin and has to pay the chaos shrine tax, half of it goes to former victims and the other half is just destroyed as a gold sink.

amateursuperhero on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm not sure what kind of skill set I want my main character to have.

I'm certain the person I live with will want to play a crafter, so I'll probably avoid that role.

Should I be a detective? Maybe go into politics? Maybe I could make a thief?

I don't know, so many choices!

Khildith on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A thief is one of the few things I never really played as. You just need Snooping and Hiding, don't you? I forget what all skills are involved.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    korodullin wrote: »
    A thief is one of the few things I never really played as. You just need Snooping and Hiding, don't you? I forget what all skills are involved.

Snoop
    Hide
    Stealth
    Stealing

Those are the 4 cores, after that you the traditional thief took:

Magery (recall, paralyze, offensive spells and healing)
    Eval
    Inscription (two fold, trade skill to make some small income and the bonus for defensive spells)

Or!

Fencing
    Anat
    Healing

With the second set you have to use scrolls/books to recall around, but you have the ability to pop out of stealth with a spear it, paralyzing your victim and then face melting him.

Myself? If I get into this (high probable), I'll be taking this build:

Hide
    Stealth
    Fencing
    Poisoning
    Anat
    Healing
    Parry

I ran this build in the way, way back days. I played as a bounty hunter. I'd hang out in my house on Moonglow island and people would come to me and request some one dead. I'd gather information on them with my network of blue friends (I was deep, deep red), then find out their hunting spots. I'd get runes there, recall in when I heard they where hunting, stealth up and wait for them to get some loot.

Right when they would get ready to take off and go bank up I'd drop out of stealth with a deadly poisoned Kryss and vaporize them before they could do anything.

Man...I'm so going to get back in on this. Between this and Rift there is a high chance my wife will divorce me. Damn it.

Best bounty hunting story:
    Right after the release of T2A, before you could recall into and out of T2A...It was probably one of the hottest hunting zones in the game. People loved it because it was hard to get around in there, and the Ophidians had an amazing loot table and could be farmed by mages.

I was sitting in my Villa making poisoned food to sell on my vendor to kill people for jollies. When a nice fellow came up and told me a story:

He was mining in T2A with a few friends to defend him, when a red mage came up and killed everyone. They had lost all kinds of high grade magic gear and tons of valuable Valorite ore. The total lost bill came in at around 2 million gold (this was back when 1 mil was...epic). This miner wanted to hire me to hunt down this mage, and kill him. Bring back his head as proof, and anything he was carrying was mine. Along with the spoils of his gear, I would be paid 750k for the head. I also had to screenshot the "killed by" information as further proof.

I accepted, geared up in my full suit of guarded leather armor and blessed Vanq Kryss. I set out my spies and started networking. In 3 days I found out that this mage went to the Ophidian hunting grounds every day around 7pm EST. He hunted for an hour or so before he off loaded and started hunting blues and "low hanging fruit". I was informed that during his hunting time he was geared to the nines, invuln leathers, high grade scrolls, and usually carried upwards of 50k when he was done hunting.

It was a Friday evening, I set out into T2a and stealthed all the way across T2A. For those who know, that is a long ass walk. It took about an hour for me to get to his hunting spot and I stood below a tree. And Waited.

After about 20 minutes, he showed up. I watched him and followed him around for about 45 minutes. He started to walk out of the hunting area, and I strode up behind him, coming out of stealth with a *Shink*. The poison stuck on the first hit, we waged an epic war for all of 5 minutes. Him chugging cure pots, me replying poison and ducking in and out of stealth to avoid getting hit by spells. In the end, he was laid low trying to run away while poisoned, chugging down pots to try and cure it off. I watched as he fell.

In the end, I ended up with over 1.2 million gold in loot, then 750k for the payment, and 500k for a server wide bounty on him.

Oh, and he was the best red mage on ATL. He had over 500 kills, and was wanted by everyone and their dog. My business tripled once it was posted that I had killed him in single combat. I went from only a few hundred thousand gold in the bank to 5 million gold in the span of a month. Before the release of Trammel (and the end of my character and fun in the game), I was the second richest person on Atl, and the most feared assassin on Atl.

Sorry for the length of the story, but it's the single best gaming memory I've ever had. I'll be probably jumping in on this ASAP, if anyone wants an assassin friend...

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'd love to have the lot of us in a guild, or something similar. I plan to pump many hours into this shard.

Edit: also, awesome story! I think I was on your shard, though I was like 12 at the time so I don't really remember.

Khildith on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Epic story felon. I'm disinclined to go red though, but I may consider a stealthy assassin type to kill reds.

That or crafting, I love crafting.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Epic story felon. I'm disinclined to go red though, but I may consider a stealthy assassin type to kill reds.

That or crafting, I love crafting.

Excellent. I'll need a buddy to keep me in GM leathers and poison pots.

Haha. I'm kidding (not really).

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've never been red before, so I doubt I will be now, although I don't have anything against player killers in general.

I just don't have the killer instinct to ruin some poor miners day.

If people are serious we can save up and maybe get a keep or castle together or something.

I love this game, nothing compares to it in terms of freedom.

Khildith on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well if we're organizing a PA thing I'd be happy to take a crafting skill or two, I'm not planning to go all out hardcore on the combat skills anyway.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well if we're organizing a PA thing I'd be happy to take a crafting skill or two, I'm not planning to go all out hardcore on the combat skills anyway.

One of my best friends from the way back had a fantastic warrior/crafter template. I was always very impressed when fighting with him, and most people just got annoyed as shit by him.

Fencing
    Healing
    Anat
    Tactics
    Magery

How he worked it was like this: He only used spears (fencing) so he never needed parry for a shield, and with all the warrior skills, he was able to perform very well in combat. Prior to a fight he would load up Protection and Reflect to boost his armor and survivability, inscription boosts both those, and Eval has no effect.

He'd use magery for gates and recalls, spot/support healing, and the occasional finishing blow on a runner. Mostly though, he was using scrolls. His bank was loaded with bags of scrolls and he'd take out a handful, blow people away without having to disarm the spear, and laugh. On top of this, since he was GM tailor he made full leather suits and stored them.

So! When he died (we all die), he'd res, run to the bank, craft/grab a full GM leather suit, snag a GM spear, grab some scrolls and run back out. I'd never seen a guy more ready to rumble after he died so quickly. Most of the time when he rolled together he'd whip me up a suit of GM leather in 30 seconds and we'd get back to the fights.

If you want a warrior/crafter build, something along those lines works really well. You could swap out fencing for swords (halberds/bardiches), or maces (THE BEST old school weapon, warhammers) and grab mining and blacksmithing. I liked the idea of inscription and magery, since it gives you some offensive oomph, defensive protection, and a good trade skill.

Sorry, I'm kind of a UO guru...
    Khildith wrote: »
    If people are serious we can save up and maybe get a keep or castle together or something.

On this subject, Castles where originally only 1 million gold for the deed. Which is very doable if everyone works together, I also know of 2 castle/keep spots in the world that most people didn't know about. I remember finding 2 of them that were empty even after trammel housing went live. Which means they were empty for years. I'd vote for a Tower/Keep though. They make better guild houses, towers especially. Much easier to navigate, and some big rooms for guild meetings. As well as cleaner storage rooms for storing guild supplies.

I'm going to gun for a Villa or Small Tower myself. I never really needed that much space.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, on second thought a Tower is probably better, castles are for really large or rich guilds.

I love the UO guru thing, I had that kind of knowledge at one point, but years of playing other games can drive it from your head.

Khildith on
  • Options
    NativeSonNativeSon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i'd love to get in on a big PA guild. i started on a real goody goody guild, then bounced between my own stone and SAS on Sonoma way back in the day. mostly tried to go back whenever i hit red because i hung out at this RP/open community spot called the YMCA all day. i just remember always dressing up as an unsuspecting wandering healer, staff and everything, then murdering the hell out of people. the best part was i could act like it was all RPing in character and the community would forgive me.

i think i quit shortly after we all moved onto that test shard for those large scale PVP wars for a couple months. i've seriously been pining for that same kind of community/unadulterated killing. the closest i ever got was a tight CS community a couple years later.

NativeSon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    NativeSon wrote: »
    i'd love to get in on a big PA guild. i started on a real goody goody guild, then bounced between my own stone and SAS on Sonoma way back in the day. mostly tried to go back whenever i hit red because i hung out at this RP/open community spot called the YMCA all day. i just remember always dressing up as an unsuspecting wandering healer, staff and everything, then murdering the hell out of people. the best part was i could act like it was all RPing in character and the community would forgive me.

i think i quit shortly after we all moved onto that test shard for those large scale PVP wars for a couple months. i've seriously been pining for that same kind of community/unadulterated killing. the closest i ever got was a tight CS community a couple years later.

HA! I played on Sonoma once Ren came out and Atl got stale.

I remember the YMCA. I was perma-banned from there for assassinating Dor (the YMCA community leader) during one of her story time things. I dropped out her mid story, I had been standing behind her stealthily for a good hour or so, she eventually started boring me, so I just poked her once with my Vanq Kryss. Out of the 30 something mages that were there trying to cure her, no one succeeded and she died. I right away dropped back into stealth after the one hit.

Walked right out of there all hidden and shit with "The sash of Dor, community leader", her special GM granted item that they neglected to bless. I eventually ransomed it back to her for like 10 million gold. No one on the server would speak of the event, like it never happened. But I had to shelve the character shortly there after, as I only played in Fel on him, and if one person saw me, Sonoma would rally a 100 man hunting party to kill me.

Totally worth it though. I also remember SAS, never really got in with them, personality miss match between their IC and myself (that and the fact that I had killed many of them while they were trying to champ spawn).

I'm totally in on this. I'm remaking my Assassin/Bounty Hunter. I love UO. These memories are all flooding back, I'm excited to make new ones. You can all be my friends and I won't kill you!

(We should try and set up a Jabber for people playing this, worst case, we can use ICQ I guess, but Jabber is vastly superior.)

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ICQ makes me think of UO, but if you guys have a better alternative I'll join.

Khildith on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So if we do a PA guild, what are you guys thinking? PKs? Pirates? Paladins? O/C?

amateursuperhero on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't really have an opinion, I'm not much of a PK, and wouldn't likely go red. I could probably get on board pirates, but really have no idea yet how that works. O/C looks like a lot of fun, but we would need to pick a town as our home.

Khildith on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Since UO is so freeform, I think our best bet (and there's no reason not to do a guild, even if it's just like 10 people, guilds aren't about numbers in UO) is to just make a guild. Not aligned with anything in particular, just...people.

That way we can just play, together. There isn't going to be a need to form a 25 man group to do anything you can't do with 5 guys, even with IPY's enhanced PvE stuff, no one is going to need a huge group to function.

Order v Chaos....eeeh I'm not sold on it. It's a cool factional thing, but factions didn't really work out in official OSI...But with a more hardcore crowd it might work out. I just think we should make a group of people who want to play. If you want to PvP? We'll have pvpr's who can help you with templates, training, and tactica. If you want to PvE one night? Get some PA buddies and go cruise a dungeon. Want to have crafter night? Everyone will be down to do something for that.

I guess my vote goes for being un-aligned. If we don't get big enough to have a "town" that means we're always the raiders, and never the raidee's. We never have to worry about a faction/group/what-have you knocking down our door.

Even with all the gold sinks in the world, a group of 10 guys who are willing to work hard enough can get themselves moderate houses, and a guild house within the span of a week or two.

That's just my idea. I know when I was running my assassin (which is what I will be doing this time), I ran guildless simply because so many guilds were affiliated with something that hindered a "come as you are" playstyle.

I also know, I'm going to need crafters. I hate making crafters, and if some one wants to provide potion kegs I'll love you long time. Otherwise I'm going to have to make an alt just to make pots. And that makes me a sad panda.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heh, I haven't used ICQ in so long my old number isn't active anymore.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If I do end up doing this I'm sure I'll be crafting. Hard to say what exactly I'd do besides Blacksmithing (and Mining), but I did like being able to sell DP'd weapons, so...

Ketar on
  • Options
    NativeSonNativeSon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    @Anon the Felon - she finally got some real GM support? that's actually kinda awesome lol. i was there long before that i'm guessing, but i do remember her fairly well when things were still small. lol@your story though. stealth in UO is what led me to being assassin classes in every game i've played since. i really do miss the open ended options and ability to literally be whatever you want though.

as for the PA guild, i'm more than happy with getting everyone in the same guild and being open to letting people do their own thing. we'll definitely be there for each other and back each other up, but we don't necessarily have to pick sides. .....unless as a guild you *do* have to choose, in which case, i'm up for whatever everyone else wants to do. i've always been a real casual player, so i'm happy to hop in, help out, then dip

NativeSon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    All right then! Its settled, open ended it is! If any of us want to do any of those things, being in a guild wont hinder that, you can join a town without any other commitment from your guild, if you want to participate in O/C.

Khildith on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sounds good to me. I'm glad there are a lot of people looking to make primary characters that are crafters. I think having committed crafters is going to be huge on IPY.

amateursuperhero on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'll spend so much time playing I'll likely have a dedicated crafter and some kind of hunting character.

Khildith on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm still screwing around over on angel island, which is launching an era accurate Siege Perilous which I've been looking forward to. This should be tons of fun to play until then.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm probably going to go for one of the following builds:

Archery
    Bowcraft
    Tracking
    Lumberjacking
    Animal Lore
    Tailoring
    and some basic fighting skills.

OR

Alchemy
    Magery
    Cartography
    Tailoring

OR

Some form of heavy crafter, mining, blacksmithing, tailoring etc. Since there are skill gain caps I might just go all out for this and level several crafts at once.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Archery
    Bowcraft
    Tracking
    Lumberjacking
    Animal Lore
    Tailoring

If things work the way I recall, animal lore is only useful for tamers and its very limited ability as a con system. Tracking can be useful for finding specific game, but once you know where things spawn approximately, it's not so awesome anymore.

Also, you need tactics in that list. Any character that does damage needs tactics, save for pure mages.

This all assumes that they don't change around the ruleset and the ways skills work. Maybe I missed such a list of changes from r15-16 in the op. I'll go look.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hm, well probably just go for a pure crafter or a mage character then. Honestly leaning pure crafter but I'll probably end up specializing and getting some combat skills too so I can defend myself. Its Siege Perilous after all.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm likely to have multiple characters, maybe even multiple accounts, since the FAQ says that will be okay. I might have a gatherer/crafter with like no defensive skills to die over and over with while I work things like hiding on another account.

Khildith on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, this is so tempting after talking with Sanguine about playing UO.

I'll have to wait and see how it is at startup.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I eventually want to have a PvP character that is:

swords
    tactics
    wrestle
    magery
    med
    eval
    resist

and a PK that is:

wrestle
    magery
    med
    eval
    resist
    hiding
    stealth

And then a moneymaker of some kind. On launch I'll probably simultaneously work on my moneymaker + one of the PvP characters (which one depends on what more people see themselves doing).

amateursuperhero on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Old school UO with smart modifications and a PA guild?

Damn this is fucking tempting.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My main way back used to be mage 5x, scribe, hiding. Oh man, so many memories.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    seabass wrote: »
    Archery
    Bowcraft
    Tracking
    Lumberjacking
    Animal Lore
    Tailoring

If things work the way I recall, animal lore is only useful for tamers and its very limited ability as a con system. Tracking can be useful for finding specific game, but once you know where things spawn approximately, it's not so awesome anymore.

Also, you need tactics in that list. Any character that does damage needs tactics, save for pure mages.

This all assumes that they don't change around the ruleset and the ways skills work. Maybe I missed such a list of changes from r15-16 in the op. I'll go look.

Yeah, tactics is a must. Without magery, anatomy is too honestly. I don't know the exact damage formula, but I know to do max damage you need wep skill + tactics + anat. Tank mages drop anat and still do alright damage, but if using a weapon is your sole method of dealing damage, anatomy is pretty essential.

I think tracking is actually going to be extremely good on this shard, as a result of not being able to recall/gate in or out of dungeons. I foresee a lot of PKs and adventurers a like getting hiding to avoid big groups of each other. Tracking will allow players to track down hidden enemies in dungeons and kill them.

I've been thinking of using this template for a support PK/Paladin:

Fencing (use poisoned spears, switch off to a kryss to chug potions)
    tactics
    anat
    healing
    resist
    hiding
    tracking

I'm not sure I'd have the time to make it for a while, but if someone wants to adopt the template, by all means do. I think it'd be a really viable pvp character as long as its supported by mages.

amateursuperhero on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nope nope nope. Tactics is not a must. Tactics is a luxury skill you can easily drop for something more useful. At GM tact you get, on average, 3-5 points of bonus damage per hit. Whoopdee fuckin doo! If you lose a fight by 3-5 points per hit, you deserve to die. Tact also aids in hitting your target, but only by about 10-15% increase in hit chance.

Now, Anat? Anat increases damage of melee by roughly the same amount, does not increase hit chance, but increases healing factor of the "Healing" skill by orders of magnitude, very useful.

Dropping tact for something more useful is totally cool, and most of the time you will not notice it is gone. Dropping tact for some other luxury skill that doesn't ever help you in combat? eehhh, you should probably take tact in that case.

I used to run lots and lots of builds in PvP, as did friends of mine, that would drop skills people thought essential. We did fine, if not better because we had more options.

On the subject of tracking: Unless they change the way the skill works (highly possible), 30.6 tracking is just as good as GM tracking. Some one in the beta might want to do some investigative research on this, or we can look it up when the release hits. But, the rule of thumb was always "Never train tracking past the vendor trained point, it's useless".

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nope nope nope. Tactics is not a must. Tactics is a luxury skill you can easily drop for something more useful. At GM tact you get, on average, 3-5 points of bonus damage per hit. Whoopdee fuckin doo! If you lose a fight by 3-5 points per hit, you deserve to die. Tact also aids in hitting your target, but only by about 10-15% increase in hit chance.

Now, Anat? Anat increases damage of melee by roughly the same amount, does not increase hit chance, but increases healing factor of the "Healing" skill by orders of magnitude, very useful.

Dropping tact for something more useful is totally cool, and most of the time you will not notice it is gone. Dropping tact for some other luxury skill that doesn't ever help you in combat? eehhh, you should probably take tact in that case.

I used to run lots and lots of builds in PvP, as did friends of mine, that would drop skills people thought essential. We did fine, if not better because we had more options.

On the subject of tracking: Unless they change the way the skill works (highly possible), 30.6 tracking is just as good as GM tracking. Some one in the beta might want to do some investigative research on this, or we can look it up when the release hits. But, the rule of thumb was always "Never train tracking past the vendor trained point, it's useless".

Wow, really? I'll try to confirm this with people who know more about IPY pvp to make sure this is the way it is there.

I do know higher tracking = greater range of tracking ability on IPY, which carries obvious benefits. I want to say GM tracking allows you to track 5 screens away (not totally sure), and that range decreases the more distant you are from GM.

amateursuperhero on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Wow, really? I'll try to confirm this with people who know more about IPY pvp to make sure this is the way it is there.

I do know higher tracking = greater range of tracking ability on IPY, which carries obvious benefits. I want to say GM tracking allows you to track 5 screens away (not totally sure), and that range decreases the more distant you are from GM.

Totally, if they did some work on tracking...then it sounds like a great skill to work into a template if you can.

If you can look into tact, do so. I'd be very surprised if they made any sweeping changes to tact, as it would throw lots of things out of balance. By requiring tactics (if they made sweeping changes), you're pretty much screwing lots of melee builds. Making them take 4 to 5 skills to be effective really limits the "fun factor". It's the same with mages though.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Maybe we should make up a list of templates for the OP, as a quick resource for those that are less familiar with the min/maxing of UO.

Khildith on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I know there's a pretty good compilation of pre-UO:R templates elsewhere. When I'm home I'll try to find it and put a link the the OP.

amateursuperhero on