As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xbox 360 Must-Plays 2005-2010

maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what?New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
So I've owned a 360 since late '07 and I'm only now just getting around to playing Gears of War. Excluding the Halo series, what's the must-play gemstones of the 360 library I should catch up on?

FU7kFbw.png
Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
maximumzero on

• Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd say dead rising is a fairly interesting and unique game to play on your 360.

Earth Defense force 2017.

The Assassin's Creed series.

Singularity was an underrated gem (in my opinion)

The Darkness.

EDIT: Oh, mass effect.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dead Rising - Zombies in a Mall

Bayonetta - It's Devil May Cry 5. That's what it is.

Blur - Call of Mario Kart

Deathsmiles - A cross section of everything good about shumps, and Cave's first localization effort. I wrote a detailed review.

Brutal Legend - You got Hack n Slash in my RTS, now they taste better!

Dead Space - Resident Evil 5 without all the bullshit.

Darksiders - LoZ: Ocarina of Western Edginess, starring War: Horsement of the Apocalypse, who although angry, is more reasonable than Kratos, but still quite angry. He can only make this face :x

Mass Effect 1 - It's worth it just to import your Sheperd over to Mass Effect 2.

Mirror's Edge - I'm jumping rooftops and I'm still alive. And believe me I am still alive.

Bioshock - Objectivist douchebag builds an underwater city with no taxes, no government, and no laws...It's a warzone full of drug addicts.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    I'd say dead rising is a fairly interesting and unique game to play on your 360.

The Darkness.

I would say you could safely skip Assassin's Creed 1, but 2 and up are seriously must plays.

Other than that, I totally approve of the suggestions thus far. And also you should find the slash-signal.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spafeyspafey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seconding Bioshock.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is pretty damn awesome, though fairly difficult, so YMMV.

Super street fighter 4 is great if you like fighting games, less so if not.

The darkness is an under-rated game that you may like, its stupidly cheap nowadays as well. :)

spafey on
    I ate the entire cake. At one point, I remember becoming aware of the oppressive fullness building inside of me, but I kept eating out of a combination of spite and stubbornness. No one could tell me not to eat an entire cake - not my mom, not Santa, not God - no one. I would eat cake whenever I damn well pleased. It was my cake and everyone else could go fuck themselves.
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Visti wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »

The Darkness.

I would say you could safely skip Assassin's Creed 1, but 2 and up are seriously must plays.

Other than that, I totally approve of the suggestions thus far. And also you should find the slash-signal.

Actually, I found that if you repress your inner completionist, and just do the bare minimum to get through, AC1 is way more fun. YMMV

Also I'll second EDF 2017. Don't take it seriously though. Get a buddy, get a few beers. Enjoy.

Xaviar on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Resident Evil 5, make sure to play it with a buddy though.

Burnout Paradise.

Split/Second - Burnout directed by Michael Bay.

Lost Odyssey, Resonance of Fate if you like JRPGs.

Batman: Arkham Asylum.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, this isn't that old, but you should definitely play Red Dead Redemption. It is awe-inspiringly good. I'd say give Halo: Reach a shot too, but it appears your not a fan. I wasn't a huge fan before Reach either, but Reach was excellently done, Campaign, MP, all of it was top notch. The Campaign was especially amazing, but it does have halo derivative gameplay, so if you really hate that, then I guess you won't like it.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Let's see here...going through the thread...

Definitely want to play:
    EDF2017
    Assassin's Creed
    Mass Effect
    Dead Rising
    Dead Space
    Bioshock
    Batman: Arkham Asylum

Might Play:
    Singularity
    The Darkness
    Brutal Legend
    Darksiders
    Mirror's Edge
    Resident Evil 5
    Burnout Paradise (Even though I'm not a big racing game fan I hear this one is open-worldy.)
    Lost Odyssey
    Red Dead Redemption.

Not Interested In:
    Bayonetta - Not good at the high-speed action games. Never got past the second stage in Ninja Gaiden Black
    Blur - Not a big racing game fan.
    Deathsmiles - Terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE at shumps.
    Ninja Gaiden 2 - See Bayonetta.
    Super Street Fighter IV - Not good at the fighters.
    Split/Second - See Blur

Drakeon wrote: »
    Well, this isn't that old, but you should definitely play Red Dead Redemption. It is awe-inspiringly good. I'd say give Halo: Reach a shot too, but it appears your not a fan. I wasn't a huge fan before Reach either, but Reach was excellently done, Campaign, MP, all of it was top notch. The Campaign was especially amazing, but it does have halo derivative gameplay, so if you really hate that, then I guess you won't like it.

I said not the Halo series but I own 'em all...except for Halo Wars...which I do mean to pickup some day.

Keep 'em comin'. Making a list to pick up next time the B2G1 and B1-50% sales roll around.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Darkness is like four or five dollars now, if it helps put it on your get list.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vanquish. It's Gears of War but better.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alan Wake is certainly worth playing

So is GTA4 though if you were only going to play one I guess I'd go with RDR over that.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to avoid posting games which are available on other platforms (especially PC) for a number of reasons - mostly because I always will buy for PC before console if there is an option.

So, nifty games that you can't get elsewhere:

Earth Defense Force 2017 - Arcade shooting action. My friend who is not a gamer says it reminds him of Contra if it were a TPS. He's not wrong in that the game is strictly about shooting tons of enemies mindlessly. All you have to worry about is choosing which of hundreds of weapons you're going to bring with you into any given level. Great for local co-op.

Also make sure to check out XBLA if it's available to you. Shadow Complex is a good Metroidvania, and there might be a couple other alright games that weren't released on PSN or for PC (can't immediately think of any right now).

Edit: Spent so long writing this / watching football that I failed miserably keeping up with the thread or even remembering what the OP said. Edited down.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Banjo Kazooie. Some hated it, some loved it.

I <3 it. See also Viva Pinata!

Edit: From your list so far, EDF2017, Dead Space and Batman: Arkham Asylum are all outstanding!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've purchased more games via XBLA than retail in 2010. Just look at the sales and something awesome will come up. It's a shame you missed the New Years sales.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited January 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    I've purchased more games via XBLA than retail in 2010.

Same. And even more XBLIG.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SUPER MEAT BOY

phishstik on
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Let's see here...going through the thread...

Definitely want to play:
    EDF2017
    Assassin's Creed
    Mass Effect
    Dead Rising
    Dead Space
    Bioshock

Might Play:
    Singularity
    The Darkness
    Brutal Legend
    Darksiders
    Mirror's Edge
    Resident Evil 5
    Burnout Paradise (Even though I'm not a big racing game fan I hear this one is open-worldy.)
    Lost Odyssey
    Red Dead Redemption.

Not Interested In:
    Bayonetta - Not good at the high-speed action games. Never got past the second stage in Ninja Gaiden Black
    Split/Second - See Blur

Drakeon wrote: »

I said not the Halo series but I own 'em all...except for Halo Wars...which I do mean to pickup some day.

Keep 'em comin'. Making a list to pick up next time the B2G1 and B1-50% sales roll around.

From your list of might play's, I can be ok with most of that, but I highly recommend moving Red Dead Redemption up to a must play. It is easily one of the best games released for the 360, and definitely the best one released last year. Sure, some might say it's just GTA on a horse, but that game has kept me entranced all the way through (I still haven't beaten it, but I heard the ending is fucking amazing) while I lost interest in GTA4 before ever hitting the halfway point in the story. In RDR, there's just so much to do, so many stories weaved throughout your play time, so many amazing characters, a beautifully realized western frontier, and (I believe a first for Rockstar) a main character who you actually give a fuck about.

Seriously, you should play RDR.

Dourin on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but Crackdown. It's so fun. And it's super cheap right now. I don't know much about the second one, though. It got low review scores because it was basically the same game. I see no problem with this, though.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd definitely add Crackdown to the list, especially considering how cheap it is by now. Oh, and if you don't have it for the PC, get the damn Orange Box!

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Everyone has already said EDF2017, but I still want to post this vid again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJhI3V05yHM

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd definitely add Crackdown to the list, especially considering how cheap it is by now. Oh, and if you don't have it for the PC, get the damn Orange Box!

Eehhhh....I've heard the TF2 community is pretty small, if it even exists at this point, and none of the DLC has carried over as far as I know. As for the HL episodes and Portal, all of that is better played on a computer, and requires low enough specs that most somewhat recent computers should be able to play them. And they definitely should be played on the computer. Plus, you can pick it up on the cheap during pretty much any of the Steam sales.

Dourin on
    edited January 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    Vanquish. It's Gears of War but better.

Ah, Vanquish. Played the demo, it was okay, and like most 360 games the controls were needlessly confusing. That's my pet peeve of 360/PS3 games in general. I'll likely get it on the cheap someday.
    217514671_xcyao-L-2.jpg

Every damn game flashes that on the loading screen and when you get into the game you're like Buh? What?
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Alan Wake is certainly worth playing

So is GTA4 though if you were only going to play one I guess I'd go with RDR over that.
    Dourin wrote: »
    From your list of might play's, I can be ok with most of that, but I highly recommend moving Red Dead Redemption up to a must play. It is easily one of the best games released for the 360, and definitely the best one released last year. Sure, some might say it's just GTA on a horse, but that game has kept me entranced all the way through (I still haven't beaten it, but I heard the ending is fucking amazing) while I lost interest in GTA4 before ever hitting the halfway point in the story. In RDR, there's just so much to do, so many stories weaved throughout your play time, so many amazing characters, a beautifully realized western frontier, and (I believe a first for Rockstar) a main character who you actually give a fuck about.

Seriously, you should play RDR.

I'm not a huge fan of open-world games because I never feel like I finish 'em. I like my games linear when possible. I do like westerns so I'll likely pick it up in the future when it gets cheap with all the DLC bundled in.
    I'm going to avoid posting games which are available on other platforms (especially PC) for a number of reasons - mostly because I always will buy for PC before console if there is an option.

Also make sure to check out XBLA if it's available to you. Shadow Complex is a good Metroidvania, and there might be a couple other alright games that weren't released on PSN or for PC (can't immediately think of any right now).

I don't own a PC. I use a Mac, so feel free to recommend titles that you'd prefer on the PC.

I'm not a big fan of Metroidvanias because they just get needlessly confusing, and like open-world games I never, ever get close to 100%ing the damn games.
    Banjo Kazooie. Some hated it, some loved it.

I <3 it. See also Viva Pinata!

I actually own both Banjos from the XBLA and Nuts & Bolts as well. N&B is one of those games that I need to go back and finish...also want Viva Pinata at some point.
    phishstik wrote: »
    SUPER MEAT BOY

Waiting for the Mac version.
    anoffday wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but Crackdown. It's so fun. And it's super cheap right now. I don't know much about the second one, though. It got low review scores because it was basically the same game. I see no problem with this, though.

Going on the maybe list. :P

Already own The Orange box on both my 360 and Mac.

List additions.
    Definitely want to play:
    Vanquish
    Red Dead Redemption
    Viva Pinata

EDF2017
    Assassin's Creed
    Mass Effect
    Dead Rising
    Dead Space
    Bioshock

Might Play:
    Crackdown
    Singularity
    The Darkness
    Brutal Legend
    Darksiders
    Mirror's Edge
    Resident Evil 5
    Lost Odyssey

Not Interested In:
    Split/Second - See Blur

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited January 2011
    Dourin wrote: »

Eehhhh....I've heard the TF2 community is pretty small, if it even exists at this point, and none of the DLC has carried over as far as I know. As for the HL episodes and Portal, all of that is better played on a computer, and requires low enough specs that most somewhat recent computers should be able to play them. And they definitely should be played on the computer. Plus, you can pick it up on the cheap during pretty much any of the Steam sales.

I actually prefer TF2 on the 360 because it's so simple. No swords and bows & arrows and so many other add-ons that I have to relearn the entire game every 3 months if I take a break. I often get killed by other players with weapons I've never heard of, used, or understood.

Edit: Seriously the game is slowly morphing into World of Warcraft and it bums me out.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll agree with Mass Effect 1 and 2, Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood, and Bioshock.

I'll then add Cthulhu Saves the World because it is amazing and shame on all of those who didn't mention it yet.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    If you don't have a gaming PC, then I can heartily re-recommend most everything stated in this thread. Standouts for me:

AssCreed series - I'd probably give 1 a miss unless you find it for cheap and feel lost after playing 2 for an hour or two. I'm definitely in the "1 was a glorified tech demo" crowd, but 2 and Brotherhood are great games.

Hitman: Blood Money - This was a launch title, but it remains great, and no other game since then has even attempted to match the gameplay. The whole point of the game is to walk into somewhere you shouldn't be, do your job, and walk out without ever being detected. The difference between this and other stealth titles is that the stealth is more social in nature; you're not hiding so much as looking like you belong.

Dead Space - I know you said you'd get it, but I'd just like to say that it's great and probably my favorite survival horror game since RE4. Unlike Bioshock it's fun all the way through, and unlike RE5 it isn't annoying as shit to play without another player. Also, the sequel is coming out in a few weeks, so it's a good lead in to that.

Ultimanecat on
  • G0DG0D Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A quick Amazon check shows EDF2017 going for 79.88 up to 122.94 USD. 54-55 used. Ouch. Is this downloadable?

Also -- the same search revealed Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon slated for June 28th release, this year. Related?

Yes related... Anticipated by anyone?

G0D on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    EDF2017 is available on XBL games-on-demand for $20.

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned Deadly Premonition yet?

Rex Dart on
  • DjanvkDjanvk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I didn't see Borderlands mentioned, great game and a lot of fun.

I second RDR, AssCreed 2, Crackdown, and Mass Effect

Djanvk on
    edited January 2011
    G0D wrote: »
    A quick Amazon check shows EDF2017 going for 79.88 up to 122.94 USD. 54-55 used. Ouch. Is this downloadable?

Also -- the same search revealed Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon slated for June 28th release, this year. Related?

Yes related... Anticipated by anyone?

Ouch is right...who knows if they ever printed more beyond the initial run, but I imagine demand has probably not gone down much.

There is a thread for the sequel, but without search it could be hard to find. Consensus at the moment seems to be that it looks alright (selectable characters with different playstyles, online multiplayer) although it is not being developed by the same people.

Ultimanecat on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll suggest that Darksiders gets bumped up to must play.

Also dont forget to pick up Lara Croft: GoL, Limbo for Xbox live.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Red Faction: Guerrilla is worth looking into, although it is an open world game. An open world game where you demolish buildings with your hammer. Or explosive charges, if you are so inclined. I don't think I'd put it in your "must play" list, but it can't be selling for too much these days.

SteevL on
    edited January 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    Red Faction: Guerrilla is worth looking into, although it is an open world game. An open world game where you demolish buildings with your hammer. Or explosive charges, if you are so inclined. I don't think I'd put it in your "must play" list, but it can't be selling for too much these days.

Yeah I really enjoyed that too, even the demo is fantastic!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If ya like linear games, even though I'll probably get a lot of shit for saying this, but The Force Unleashed 1 and 2. A lot of people give TFU a bad rap, but I feel its unjustified. It's LucasArts first attempt at a game like this and they did well. The story is especially good and the compliment of powers/attacks is nice. Its a nice tie-in for between Episodes 3 and 4 and the DLC for both games is fun.
    Also, Red Dead Redemption is DEFINITELY a must-have, including all DLC for it. Simply amazing.
    Crackdown gets really boring after a while.
    Mass Effect 1and 2 are must-haves. Left4Dead is also simply fuckin amazing, personally I found L4D1 better than the sequel but thats just my opinion. The online versus is so much fun.
    And I can't believe nobody has mentioned these, but Fallout3 and Fallout New Vegas are definitely awesomez. Both are open world but if you follow the story you can play it as if it were linear.

never-ending-reign on
  • TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ghostbusters. If you enjoyed the movies, atleast give the game a shot.

It's essentially Ghostbusters 3.
    It suffered from everyone having too high of expectations once it finally came out.

And if you like multi-player beat 'em ups, try out Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    [PROTOTYPE] - Flawed, but very fun.
    Stranglehold - Some of the best gunplay of any game. Ever.
    Bayonetta - The most insane game you can possible imagine.
    Alan Wake - The best Stephen King story never told.
    Oblivion - Five years old and still the biggest and the best.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tikhon wrote: »
    Ghostbusters. If you enjoyed the movies, atleast give the game a shot.

The Ghostbusters game was fantastic and if you are a fan of the movies, hell even if you aren't, you gotta check it out. It's seriously awesome.

I played Metro 2033 on 360 and it was pretty excellent as well. Not sure if it's a "must play" or not; I guess it depends on how into shooters and/or the apocalypse you are.

Definitely play Lost Oddysey if you are fan of JRPGs who has been very disappointed for a long time. It's everything you remember being great about JRPGs in a beautiful package with a well-written and emotionally charged story that might actually bring a tear to your eye. Really.

Not gonna mention most of the obvious stuff that has been mentioned already like the Mass Effects and Bioshock, but definitely check out that stuff too, if you're so inclined.

hatedinamerica on