As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Heroes of Shadow. Dhampyr Vryloka Vampire now possible.

• Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Funny how life just works out for the fighter consistently in 4E isn't it?

At least until they need to do anything--anything at all--that isn't violence. Though I guess liberal application of violence tends to make problems unrelated to violence go away. So it does work out I guess.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What's the website called that offers heaps of free maps? And what's the best way to print maps?

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    New preview article is up.
    http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4pr/20110110

Another Gamma World expansion next month!
    Detials about the heros of shadow book.

More info on the card things. 3 more examples of cards - these reinforce my view that they are too powerful. All of the ones shown replicate something available in a feat or utility power. I don't know one person IRL or on various forums I read that like these.

MrBeens on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sweet Jeebus.

You draw one card a round!
    You can play one card a round!
    That defense card is a free, save-able, reroll if you happen to be bloody when you play it. A reroll on pretty much anything!

Sweet Jeebus.
    Amigu wrote: »
    I really don't see the problem. The DM could decide how they would be distributed and who draws them when.

This isn't really how they're intended to be used. Sure, I and probably all the other posters here could make these not suck and not be terribly stupid. This is not what Wizards is aiming for and it isn't what the official rules are. No, Official Rules Ninjas won't find and arrest me if I ignore them but when I bring a new player in I have to find out if they think these stupid as fuck cards are "normal".

The killer for me is that these are supposed to be player built decks and that apparently a card a round would be "normal".

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The killer for me is that these are supposed to be player built decks and that apparently a card a round would be "normal".

Yeah, I can easily see this being horrible abused. I think I might go to a 3rd party seller, buy only really useful cards and make my deck for free broken powers!

:?

Lezta on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lezta wrote: »

Yeah, I can easily see this being horrible abused. I think I might go to a 3rd party seller, by only really useful cards and make my deck for free broken powers!

If you've never run into a player who would do just that.....then I envy you.

Edit: Ya know, I read that at first as sarcasm and I don't think it is. I'll just leave it as a wish for a better world.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just spent like an hour getting a map and tokens together for next week's MapTools game and it didn't save or something! ARGH.

EDIT: Oh, to heck with it. Next week- skill challenges and character development. Week after next? FIRE

MapTool has an autosave function. Did you turn it off?

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Lezta wrote: »

Yeah, I can easily see this being horrible abused. I think I might go to a 3rd party seller, buy only really useful cards and make my deck for free broken powers!

If you've never run into a player who would do just that.....then I envy you.

Edit: Ya know, I read that at first as sarcasm and I don't think it is. I'll just leave it as a wish for a better world.

Sadly, I was not being sarcastic. I know all too well what people are like, especially when it comes to games.

Lezta on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vampires.

I don't know what class you're supposed to be a Shade for; rogue, thief and executioner all already get stealth for free.

Rius on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ignoring the cards for the moment; Heroes of Shadow preview is nice - that's an interesting take on racial structure/feats for the Shade. Wonder if it's unique to them or if the other shadow-creatures are going to get it? And are they not the first race to have a "negative" attribute in the loss of a Surge?
    A pity about Shadar-Kai apparently being excluded in favour of these guys though. Or at least not getting a full write-up; maybe there will be some Shadar-Kai feat support in there?

Also, the Revenant apparently no longer being DDi Exclusive is vaguely annoying, not entirely unexpected, and probably entirely necessary. It also possibly means the Assassin class in the book is the "original" DDi Assassin and not the essentials Executioner build.

But back to those execrable cards; I propose a motion to incinerate them on sight should someone bring them to our games. Can I get a second?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is why every fighter should invest in Superior Will. Not only does it boost will, but it gives you a save against those effects at the start of your turn. Conveniently the fighters secondary stat is Wisdom! Funny how life just works out for the fighter consistently in 4E isn't it?

Con is the Fighter's secondary stat ;-)

Where do you get your maps from? Those look like Dungeon maps, but I'm not sure.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, looks like shades are the first race with a negative attribute to them, though the loss of a single healing surge (from my gaming experiences) is nothing to sweat over, especially with free Stealth training, at least for classes that don't start with it for free, so sorcerers and warlocks could really rock that, specifically the latter.

I'm honestly not saddened by the lack of shadar-kai in the book. I've never been fond of them. I am curious about these vryloka, though. A different take on the dhampyr, perhaps? Although another "ancient human bloodline that went naughty" might run the risk of stepping on some tiefling toes.

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Actually losing a healing surge is a pretty big deal, especially if you're a squishy class that their stats fit like a rogue or similar. In addition to this, I was pretty amazed to see a vampire based class in the book and I do wonder if we'll see lycanthropy in the Heroes of Feywild book. This has as much potential to suck as it does have in being an interesting idea though. I do wonder how they will make 30 levels of vampire relevant to be honest.

@angrylinuxgeek: I always use wisdom secondary because +wis to all opportunity attacks is just fucking ridiculous for a fighter on numerous levels. I get my maps from numerous sources and the maps from Dark Prophecy are from Dungeon mostly (Lord of the White Fields and the farm maps from one of the essentials books or Slaying stone. One of those). The Dark Sun desert map was from somewhere on the internet, I think the Cartographer's Guild. I steal maps from so many sources now I can't remember where I get all of them.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You know, by definition, as a PC class, the Vampire class will need to be able to operate in sunlight.

So they're not really fucking vampires.

Wonder which brain trust at WotC is responsible for poaching Stephanie Meyer.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think it's an interesting departure; basically making "monster" class progressions. I expect a Shadow Controller/Martial Striker blend powered by Cha and/or Int. with Str or Dex riders. Ranged powers being gaze attacks to stun/immobilise/dominate as you level, with bat/wolf/mist form type utilities. Combat striker type stuffs to be based on modified MBAs in the vein of Essentials classes.

You're right about not having much in the top end; what do high level vampires do in the monster manuals anyway?
    Maybe end up with summoning type powers towards the end of the tiers?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They already have vampire NPCs in the monster manual, most just don't regenerate in sunlight (though weaker ones are destroyed, PCs are generally "exceptional cases").

Jishian on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would prefer to see monster typings as Themes.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I think it's an interesting departure; basically making "monster" class progressions. I expect a Shadow Controller/Martial Striker blend powered by Cha and/or Int. with Str or Dex riders. Ranged powers being gaze attacks to stun/immobilise/dominate as you level, with bat/wolf/mist form type utilities. Combat striker type stuffs to be based on modified MBAs in the vein of Essentials classes.

You're right about not having much in the top end; what do high level vampires do in the monster manuals anyway?
    Maybe end up with summoning type powers towards the end of the tiers?

Daze/Dominate, Blood Drain (do damage and regain hitpoints), Mist Form (insubstantial), Debuff defenses with at-wills, etc. And of course Regenerate, which doesn't work in sunlight. Also they can make vampire spawns by killing with blood drain, or make new vampires by doing an Anne Rice inspired ritual.

Jishian on
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Healing surges have only ever really shown a threat of running low in my groups with defenders, to be honest. Strikers, especially ranged strikers, often seem to have at least one trick up their sleeve to avoid damage and I don't know if I've ever seen anyone outside of a defender reduced to zero surges, and even that's rare. The party is usually more likely to take an extended rest due to a lack of daily powers than a lack of healing surges.

My thoughts on a vampire class are profoundly "meh" at this point. Could it be good? Sure, so long as they don't sparkle. But I'm not going to get excited about anything just yet.

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would prefer to see vampirism be a terrible curse of undeath, rather than a source of awesome powers.

Again.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Themes aren't being introduced to general DnD until later on, but we could have the hilarious concept of a bloodline/theme/race/class.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Now I'm thinking that the various monster templates from back in the day would make great themes.

Vampire, Werewolf, Frankenstein (flesh golem), Revenant, etc.

It's a perfect way of handling that stuff.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Themes aren't being introduced to general DnD until later on, but we could have the hilarious concept of a bloodline/theme/race/class.
    Vampire/Werewolf/Revenant/Golem

"This is the new party Defender, DracMum WolfenStein."

OptimusZed on

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yea, I think for anything which isn't ACTUALLY a race (i.e. revenants, vampires, anything where you could be any race and be afflicted) themes are the way to go. I know we don't get themes in general d&d yet, but I think that is a good argument to delay vampires until then. Or push themes up.

Anyone else suspect a marketing whiz said, "Kids love vampires. Look at those white wolf games. I bet we could get girls to play if their boyfriend was playing a vampire & the guy they also have a crush on is playing a werewolf. They could play as Bella! I think I need to go do more drugs now."

streever on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    streever wrote: »
    Yea, I think for anything which isn't ACTUALLY a race (i.e. revenants, vampires, anything where you could be any race and be afflicted) themes are the way to go. I know we don't get themes in general d&d yet, but I think that is a good argument to delay vampires until then. Or push themes up.

Anyone else suspect a marketing whiz said, "Kids love vampires. Look at those white wolf games. I bet we could get girls to play if their boyfriend was playing a vampire & the guy they also have a crush on is playing a werewolf. They could play as Bella! I think I need to go do more drugs now."

I wish I could deny that, but in my experience, playing a vampire will bring in the girls.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wonder which brain trust at WotC is responsible for poaching Stephanie Meyer.
    Persisting in sunlight is not an invention of Stephanie Meyer's - Dracula was always able to do that and while many mythologies have vampires burnt by bright light, only a few have them instantly exploding a la Buffy. And D&D vampires are different again, generally being unable to heal in sunlight and variably vulnerable to radiant damage, but not utterly crippled by a single sunbeam.

Frankly I resent the idea that anything anyone hates about a particular variant of the world's numerous vampire myths is exclusively Meyer's fault - that's giving an unimaginative hack entirely too much credit. D:

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dear WotC,

If the vampires in Heroes of Shadow can go into the sunlight and/or sparkle, I will hate you to death.

Love Lezta

Lezta on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That's pretty much how I think it went personally. If they fucking sparkle in the sunlight I need to cancel my trip to Australia. I'm going to Seattle.

>: (

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Rose, you make a good point. And yes, Stephanie Meyer is an unimaginative hack, but she's also a very popular unimaginative hack, and I think it's giving WotC too much credit if we pretend they've been influenced by anything other than Twilight.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ok Essentials is bad and DDI sucks but WotC isn't gonna make Vampires sparkle

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Maybe they are going to do so to be totally ironic. Then again, it's going to be exceptionally hard to sell me on letting someone play a vampire to begin with. Unless it fits with the tone and theme of the campaign, I don't see myself making it a particularly viable option. I mean I can deal with a lot of random shit in 4E thus far, like Shardminds that think they need boobs and cat plant people - but vampire classes? I think that's just stretching my ability to allow everything "core" a bit too far.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ok Essentials is bad and DDI sucks but WotC isn't gonna make Vampires sparkle

Sparkle Recharge 5, 6
    Close Burst 3
    Targets: Enemies in Burst
    Special: This power can only be used in direct sunlight.
    Attack: +13 vs Will
    Hit: Target is blinded until the end of the vampire's next turn.
    Effect: One player at the table must shake fist at ceiling and yell "GODDAMN TWITARDS!"

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Next week's announcement is that next season's Encounters will be co-written by Stephanie Meyer.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also just to reiterate but the Shade is really shit. Without feat support it is terrible.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    yeah I'm not gonna allow Vampires either.

it's kind of shocking, like I said before. if you had told me June 2010 that D&D would be in teh state it's in now...I would've laughed you off. Now I have to disallow shitty races, shitty cards, shitty classes, and consider the old CB "decent" software. :?

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also just to reiterate but the Shade is really shit. Without feat support it is terrible.

It's a Dex/Cha race that, if you look at it for two seconds, looks like it might be decent for Zephan, which is why I took a closer look and tried to figure out if it'd work well.

The closer look lasted about 5 seconds, then I said "fuck this."

Rius on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it's kind of shocking, like I said before. if you had told me June 2010 that D&D would be in teh state it's in now...I would've laughed you off. Now I have to disallow shitty races, shitty cards, shitty classes, and consider the old CB "decent" software. :?

Any guesses as to what caused this across the board decline in quality?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone else more bothered by the racial penalty to healing surges than Wizard's faithfulness to a particular strain of vampire myth? Because to me it sounds like someone went "hey maybe racial penalties weren't so bad" when in fact they were completely terrible.

edit: and still are. Sucks to be you, Small races.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Any guesses as to what caused this across the board decline in quality?

imo this kind of sweeping steering into terrible-land could only be from someone with "vision" imposing on the entire line.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Depending on how far in advance they work things out, I'd guess all those layoffs didn't help

Terrendos on