As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vancouver (B.C.) Carpooling

TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
edited April 2006 in PAX Archive
Just wondering who would be willing to carpool on the way to/from PAX? If we don't all take separate cars, then we can reduce gas costs and maybe wait times at the border the day of PAX.

Anyone interested?

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
Trillian on

• Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    So far, with the passengers and luggage, the vehicle I'm using is full. Otherwise, I'd be for it.

Well, if anything changes, this thread'll be the first to know.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I intend to make the trip again this year in my own truck. My spot and two others are kind of taken (people who came with me last year whose names I can't remember) but that should leave two more spots!

GeeCee on
  • Options
    twispbytwispby Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I would have taken you up on it if I wasn't going to fly this year.

Also the U.S. border patrol guy last year was one of the biggest douchebags I have ever had the displeasure of meeting.

twispby on
    twispby.png
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    twispby wrote:
    Also the U.S. border patrol guy last year was one of the biggest douchebags I have ever had the displeasure of meeting.

They all are. They're paid to be douchebags.

They're paid douchebags.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    GeeCee were you the guy with long hair and glasses in front of me in line for PAX on opening day? If you were, I was the guy who you tried to play Advance Wars with but it wouldn't work. Just thought I'd throw it out there cause I remember him saying something about driving down with two people He didn't even know.

twispby on
    twispby.png
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Nah. I have glasses but I am super fat and have short hair. Everyone in my truck was from this forum. :D

GeeCee on
  • Options
    degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    yeah but you were in my hotel room :shock:

degreesplatinum on
  • Options
    AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Our border-guard last year was great. It was just all-too-appropriate.

His name was Wang.

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Our border guard thought we were using innertubes to smuggle drugs. He asked us around 5 times if we had any illegal substances. Perhaps it was because we decided to come through the B.C. border...

twispby on
    twispby.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    We crossed the border into Idaho, and that border guard could not have looked more bored.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I'm hurt trillian, I offered a long time ago, you should know that offer still stands!

And yes I am still definately going. Nothing shall keep me from the promised land.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    leaf wrote:
    I'm hurt trillian, I offered a long time ago, you should know that offer still stands!

And yes I am still definately going. Nothing shall keep me from the promised land.

Well you know what happend, and thanks buddy :) I'm just seeing who needs a ride there/back, I know you'll have space for me if I need it :P

Trillian on

• Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Our border guard rifled through our passports rather quickly until he saw the brown guy's passport, at which point he stopped and asked us, "have any of you been convicted of any crimes recently?"

He also demanded a permission note from my parents even though my 18th birthday was in less than 24 hours.

Azio on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2006
    I'll probably be commandeering a caravan of 2 cars, which may or may not be full. Even if we have seperate carpool groups, wouldn't it be nice if we could meet up someplace beforehand and travel southward together? Or maybe not; it's too much trouble.

As for border guard stories, when I went down last year, my conversation with the guard went like this:
    Guard: Where you off to?
    Me: Gaming convention.
    Guard: Elaborate.
    Me: Mario Kart Tourney++!
    Guard: Nintendo teh kiddy olol
    Me: NO U
    And then I drove off >_<

On the way back, my conversation with another guard went like this:
    Guard: So what were you doing in Seattle?
    Me: I was on an adventure (actual words!)
    Guard: Carry on.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Eyes5 wrote:
    I'll probably be commandeering a caravan of 2 cars, which may or may not be full. Even if we have seperate carpool groups, wouldn't it be nice if we could meet up someplace beforehand and travel southward together? Or maybe not; it's too much trouble.

As for border guard stories, when I went down last year, my conversation with the guard went like this:
    Guard: Where you off to?
    Me: Gaming convention.
    Guard: Elaborate.
    Me: Mario Kart Tourney++!
    Guard: Nintendo teh kiddy olol
    Me: NO U
    And then I drove off >_<

On the way back, my conversation with another guard went like this:
    Guard: So what were you doing in Seattle?
    Me: I was on an adventure (actual words!)
    Guard: Carry on.

I was so tempted to get a picture of our last border guard named Wang, but I doubt he'd have appreciated my sense of humour.

It's like calling my manager at work Master when his last name is Bator (no joke)

Trillian on

• Options
    edited January 2006
    yeah but you were in my hotel room :shock:

Why the :shock:?

GeeCee on
  • Options
    RydarkRydark Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I'm planning to attend my first PAX this year, and I'd like to know if there would be anymore room for a car pool.

Rydark on
    Rydark.png
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    PM Leaf, he may have some room. But I call shotgun keke?

Trillian on

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited January 2006
    The closer we get to August, the more of these carpool threads/discussions pop up, so no worries!

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Just throwing my car up in here. 3 seats still available in it, leaving from Richmond. Can drive around to pick people up (within reason - no driving to kelowna)

de4dmeta1 on
  • Options
    TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Oi, the probable driver of the car sayeth: Aren't we probably going to be driving down with three other PACultists?

EDIT: also, these three seats be bench. Just sayin'

Theros on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Theros wrote:
    Oi, the probable driver of the car sayeth: Aren't we probably going to be driving down with three other PACultists?

EDIT: also, these three seats be bench. Just sayin'

As far as I'm concerned, it's first come first serve for the seating.

Number of seats available now - 2.

de4dmeta1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Right now, my car looks like this:
    Seat A: Me.
    Seat B: Empty at the moment, but I have a few people in mind who I'm planning to invite. Email me if you need a ride and I'll put you in line.

WANTED: A person age 25+ with a full license, whose presence will free up seats C, D and E. Stupid ICBC...

Azio on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    One seat now available in me car.

de4dmeta1 on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Azio wrote:
    Right now, my car looks like this:
    Seat A: Me.
    Seat B: Empty at the moment, but I have a few people in mind who I'm planning to invite. Email me if you need a ride and I'll put you in line.

WANTED: A person age 25+ with a full license, whose presence will free up seats C, D and E. Stupid ICBC...

Ahaha. Silly new license people. I got my way back before those vancouver kids started killing themselves and anyone else with street racing. All I need are:

1) Glasses
    2) No blood alcohol content

And I can fill me car!

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    I don't even have an L anymore!

Maybe I'll get my liscence when I'm 25, just to avoid all those problems. :P

Andwarf on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Andwarf wrote:
    I don't even have an L anymore!

Maybe I'll get my liscence when I'm 25, just to avoid all those problems. :P

Don't work that way IIRC. You still need to do the same shit, no matter your age.

de4dmeta1 on
  • Options
    RydarkRydark Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Hmm, I'm going to have to get my U.S Visa soon if my citizenship test isn't coming up shortly. I don't want to hide in a secret compartment(luggage) to get to PAX.

Rydark on
    Rydark.png
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2006
    I am putting a motion on the floor that this Vancouver group rendezvous with the other Canadian group who's routing through Abbotsford/Sumas, it would make the caravan a little larger.

Either way, I'm damned well going even if I have to ride my bike down there!

b0wser on
  • Options
    YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2006
    b0wser wrote:

Heh.. I'm half tempted to suggest a PAX bike trip starting from the border. Would be fun. Plus the irony of doing something so healthy and actiave on the way to a gaming convention amuses me.

Yuritau on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Yuritau wrote:
    b0wser wrote:

Heh.. I'm half tempted to suggest a PAX bike trip starting from the border. Would be fun. Plus the irony of doing something so healthy and actiave on the way to a gaming convention amuses me.

You have to go through mountains on the way. Plus it's really far. I'd much rather sit back and eat doritos ;)

Trillian on

• Options
    edited March 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Yuritau wrote:
    b0wser wrote:

You have to go through mountains on the way. Plus it's really far. I'd much rather sit back and eat doritos ;)
    Agreed. Just don't get too many crumbs in my car. :P

de4dmeta1 on
  • Options
    eclypsedeclypsed Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    We could meet up with this caravan somewhere from Abbotsford/Sumas surely, we do abbotsford because the border lineup is so much quicker. Like a 2-3 car wait. Takes 10 mins to get thru.

eclypsed on
    dynsig.png
  • Options
    YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Yuritau wrote:
    b0wser wrote:

And that's exactly why I never got further than half tempted. :P

Yuritau on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    What we need is a master list of drivers, driven, dates of departure, and locations. PM me with info, and I'll update as needed.

Trillian on

• Options
    edited March 2006
    I've preregistered - though a job I'm applying for runs all the way through up to September 4th, so I don't know for sure if I can make it, just yet.

~\A/~
    Andrew

Andwarf on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Naah you're coming to PAX.

Trillian on

• Options
    edited March 2006
    Yuritau wrote:
    b0wser wrote:

I would be tempted to agree if I wasn't planning to bring 50 pounds of computer junk.

Azio on
  • Options
    bzarhandsbzarhands Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    What we need is a master list of drivers, driven, dates of departure, and locations. PM me with info, and I'll update as needed.

PM'ed. :)

Pleased to be forgiving my ignorance, as I'm an infrequent lurker, but is it crazy to suggest a Pre-PAX '06 Vancouver Meet-Up, perhaps sometime in the coming weeks? You know, bonding before le grande voyage.

bzarhands on
    I made a post on the Internet!
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    bzarhands wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

PM'ed. :)

Pleased to be forgiving my ignorance, as I'm an infrequent lurker, but is it crazy to suggest a Pre-PAX '06 Vancouver Meet-Up, perhaps sometime in the coming weeks? You know, bonding before le grande voyage.

Well, there's usually some partyage going down every few weeks with the PACult. Could always arrange a get together through them, pending PAC approval, of course.

de4dmeta1 on