As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT] 2033

• RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe I should try Deus Ex again. I got stuck and got pissed off and stopped playing. I do remember enjoying it a lot.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dead Space was more of a spiritual successor then bioshock which was basically a remake of system shock.

Bioshock > Dead Space

Bioshock was a lot scarier in my opinion, and had better atmosphere.

Bioshock was not in the least bit scary. At least, if you discovered how over powered the wrench was when combined with being able to turn invisible.

When you are sneaking up and one shotting enemies and stealing their life and if they do turn around you can heal by hitting them faster than they can hurt you well, things cease to be scary really fast.

Yeah I can't imagine how someone could say Bioshock was scarier when there biggest scare was a shock one, and it was a trick they used a couple times.

Also Dead Space at least had a story all the way till the end unlike Bioshock...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Like I'm pretty sure that Dead Space was originally going to be a System Shock game.

I remember hearing something similar to this as well. It is at the very least a spiritually successor. I really should beat that game, I only got halfway through on my first playthrough on hard. Tempted to go back and start over an easy, but, I dunno if it would have the same feel of terror of it was less hard.

Dead Space is nowhere as good as System Shock 2.

Dead Space wasn't really that good imo.

I wish it were scarier.

It was scary enough for me.

*wibbles*

Is Amnesia scary? These people are making me want to play Amnesia, but I need to focus on Mage, and EVE, and moving, and the D&D game and and

I find Penumbra rather scary, and I am told Amnesia is even scarier.

I have it but I have not installed it yet.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    Like I'm pretty sure that Dead Space was originally going to be a System Shock game.

I remember hearing something similar to this as well. It is at the very least a spiritually successor. I really should beat that game, I only got halfway through on my first playthrough on hard. Tempted to go back and start over an easy, but, I dunno if it would have the same feel of terror of it was less hard.

Dead Space is nowhere as good as System Shock 2.

Dead Space wasn't really that good imo.

I wish it were scarier.

It was scary enough for me.

*wibbles*

Is Amnesia scary? These people are making me want to play Amnesia, but I need to focus on Mage, and EVE, and moving, and the D&D game and and

Yes.

But Mage!

I've got a rulebook and a 30-page handout to read :(

Silas Brown on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dead space 2 is going to be super fun.

Evil Multifarious on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dead Space was more of a spiritual successor then bioshock which was basically a remake of system shock.

Bioshock > Dead Space

Bioshock was not in the least bit scary. At least, if you discovered how over powered the wrench was when combined with being able to turn invisible.

When you are sneaking up and one shotting enemies and stealing their life and if they do turn around you can heal by hitting them faster than they can hurt you well, things cease to be scary really fast.

The thing that robbed BioShock of its fear for me was the life restoration chambers.

Still beautifully atmospheric. The ending may not have been powerful, but the twist everyone knows about was well done.

RMS Oceanic on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Bioshock > Dead Space

Dead Space fails to be scary in the same way, even on hard mode.

Bioshock was all in the atmosphere. Something that Dead Space put a lot of effort into but never really sucked me in with. Ultimately Dead Space felt very...gamey? While Bioshock did a lot of things to pull me into the story.

Also the sound files were better in Bioshock.

Winky on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I know this will catch me all kind of flak but man I could not for the life of me get into Deus Ex for some reason, this was back when it came out. I dunno, I'd get a couple missions in and just burn out every time. I must have done those first couple missions close to a dozen times. I think I would just become dissatisfied with my choices no matter how I developed my character and always want to go back and try again, ad naseum.

I felt the same way, I loved SS2, but Deus Ex just didn't grip me. The narrative just wasn't there.

bolded for WHAT THE FUCK

MikeMan on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bogart wrote: »
    Oh horse balls. Peter Yates died.

Thanks for Bullitt, dude.

He also gave us Krull.

Thomamelas on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Solution: install Windows 98 on a separate partition.

I have a whole seperate machine for Windows 98.

Radeon 9700 Pro for the win.
    Up until about a year ago I was still using a 9600XT on my main PC...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been watching some stupid nerds plan a Shadowrun game, and now I'm really in a cyberpunk mood.

Silas Brown on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On the other hand, Bioshock 2 had a magnificent ending.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Also Dead Space at least had a story all the way till the end unlike Bioshock...

This is something you could say if Dead Space actually had a story.

Winky on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The last couple of times I've tried to get back into Deus Ex I haven't been able to. I've played through it in full three times in total, but I just can't immerse myself in it any more.

japan on
    edited January 2011
    Dead space 2 is going to be super fun.

I'm excited, I hope its like an alien/aliens, thing where they really bring it for the second game. From the previews it looks like we have a predator 2 subway train fight from hell, that should make for fun times.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, Inqui, you suck for coming up to Portland this weekend, instead of just about any other weekend.

Thanatos on
    edited January 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    I know this will catch me all kind of flak but man I could not for the life of me get into Deus Ex for some reason, this was back when it came out. I dunno, I'd get a couple missions in and just burn out every time. I must have done those first couple missions close to a dozen times. I think I would just become dissatisfied with my choices no matter how I developed my character and always want to go back and try again, ad naseum.

I felt the same way, I loved SS2, but Deus Ex just didn't grip me. The narrative just wasn't there.

bolded for WHAT THE FUCK

For me, I just couldn't get into the story they were trying to tell.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Amnesia is scary as fuck

We played it with six people in front of a big tv, chatting and mocking the plot, and everyone still got scared out of their minds every time something came out of the dark to look for the player.

Evil Multifarious on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I'm not denying that my side does it, or saying that it's okay that we do it because they do it. I'm just sick and fucking tired of losing every fight because we're expected to be the bigger people, and are afraid to use every tool we have at our disposal because it's not very nice; I'm tired of being the nice guy who loses out every time. Let's fucking get some shit done, and if that means exploiting a tragedy for partisan purposes and political gain, then fucking get on that shit. At the very least, we should be accusing anyone who votes for health care repeal of capitulating to terrorists.

this line of thought, which i'd held since the Bush II's first term, now makes me a little sad. I don't really think I like the idea of disingenuous rhetoric any more.

but i dunno, like, if we take this to heart, then do the [strike]terrorists [/strike] republicans win? or are we just taking advantage of the stupid for the common good and its ok.

it might be time for me to go reread the prince.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited January 2011

IT'S NOT SYSTEM SHOCK WITHOUT SHODAN ARRRRGGGHHH.

If they ever make SS3, I wonder how much they'll pay her voice actress?

It's true, SHODAN makes System Shock. Without her it's not the same.

RMS Oceanic on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Bioshock > Dead Space

Bioshock was all in the atmosphere. Something that Dead Space put a lot of effort into but never really sucked me in with. Ultimately Dead Space felt very...gamey? While Bioshock did a lot of things to pull me into the story.

Dead Space got me because I knew... I knew... when something was going to jump out and scare me. Or when a "dead body" on the floor was going to animate and attack me. So every time I walked into a room it was like, "There, there, and there..." and I was just anticipating and anticipating... but when it happened it still made me jump. It was like a horror movie, yelling at the screen, "Don't open that door!" but when they do and the monster jumps out you're still scared.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited January 2011

um, it does?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dead Space 2 really just should have been Deader Space.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I never could get Deus Ex's audio to sync right with the game so I never got past the tutorials.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited January 2011

It's fun to build rigs for older games, because with cheapo eBay parts you can put together something that would have been an absolute monster at the time of the game's release.

japan on
    edited January 2011
    Anyone have good low sodium salmon, mahi mahi, or tilapia recipes?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Dead Space 2: Space Harder.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited January 2011

Or Undead Space.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    shalmelo wrote: »
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Anyone on the drive between LA and Portland possibly able to give me a place to crash say....friday evening? Eh Eh?

*crickets*

Man I used to do the LA-Portland drive once a year. There IS nothing on that drive. It's LA, barren wasteland, Sacramento, barren wasteland, mountains, pretty country, redneck mini-cities, farmland, Portland sprawl.

Any tips on good places to stop for gas/food?

Eh, not really. Been several years since I drove that route. For sheer convenience, Roseburg and Grants Pass in southern Oregon are both good, with lots of options close to the freeway exit. But that was never a trip where I made a point of stopping and checking places out. I almost always did it in one day of nearly non-stop driving. Srsly, the northern half of California along I-5 is pretty dull.

My current plan is to try to do the drive in one go.

Is this a bad plan?

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2011
    On the other hand, Bioshock 2 had a magnificent ending.

I think BioShock 2's strength is its gameplay. I found toggling between plasmids and weapons a little fiddly on Bioshock, so having both out at once was a good touch.

Looking forward to BioShock Infinite in any case.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited January 2011

um, it does?

Really? I must've missed it.

Winky on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am not going to be able to play dead space 2 just like I was not able to play the first one. I hate scary games.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stalking a multi-game pack that has Dungeon Keeper 2 and System Shock 2, among other things. Nobody's bid on it yet, and it starts at £20.

Should I go for it?

Since Dungeon Keeper is one of my favorite series and System Shock 2 scared me half to death I would say yes.

Fuck you undead monkeys.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited January 2011

Bioshock > Dead Space

Dead Space got me because I knew... I knew... when something was going to jump out and scare me. Or when a "dead body" on the floor was going to animate and attack me. So every time I walked into a room it was like, "There, there, and there..." and I was just anticipating and anticipating... but when it happened it still made me jump. It was like a horror movie, yelling at the screen, "Don't open that door!" but when they do and the monster jumps out you're still scared.

Yeah, I ran into my first necromorph doing that this morning and I still screamed and shot at it really badly, even though I knew what it was on sight.

I've played through the entire game and it's still freaking me out this time through.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Also Windows 98 absolutely screams on gaming builds from the WinXP era.

It has been my experience that Windows is a pretty good OS if you give it three times as much horsepower as it was designed for.

japan on
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Also, Inqui, you suck for coming up to Portland this weekend, instead of just about any other weekend.

Dangit, why? It's a three day weekend! Its the perfect kinda weekend for this sort of thing.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2011

It's fun to build rigs for older games, because with cheapo eBay parts you can put together something that would have been an absolute monster at the time of the game's release.
    Haha, yeah. I installed Interstate 76' on a machine I cobbled together from 3 other machines with 2 gigs of RAM, an old Athlon 64 3000+ processor and that 9600XT, running Win 98. The highest available resolution in-game was 320x240.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited January 2011
    I remember sitting watching my brother play DK1 for hours.

"Beware, the Lord of the Land approaches."

That line sticks with me today.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just couldn't get into Deus Ex at all. Part of it was just a slight feeling of being lost often, but mostly it was the voice-acting and facial animations.

Rear Admiral Choco on
    edited January 2011

um, it does?

Really? I must've missed it.

The story was told mainly via items you looted off of the ground or in various rooms, sound recordings, those sorts of things.

Exactly like Bioshock, actually.

Its not a method of story telling I much enjoy, personally.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.