As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] 2033

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gooey wrote: »
    I am not going to be able to play dead space 2 just like I was not able to play the first one. I hate scary games.

Pussy, maybe you should vote for Obama if you're going to go all liberal on us.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    On the other hand, Bioshock 2 had a magnificent ending.

I think BioShock 2's strength is its gameplay. I found toggling between plasmids and weapons a little fiddly on Bioshock, so having both out at once was a good touch.

Looking forward to BioShock Infinite in any case.

That and drill to the face. I loved blowing people up with my drill after turning them to ice.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also Dead Space at least had a story all the way till the end unlike Bioshock...

This is something you could say if Dead Space actually had a story.

um, it does?

Really? I must've missed it.

The story was told mainly via items you looted off of the ground or in various rooms, sound recordings, those sorts of things.

Exactly like Bioshock, actually.

Its not a method of story telling I much enjoy, personally.
    And in the level-name coded message.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Anyone have good low sodium salmon, mahi mahi, or tilapia recipes?

My salmon recipe involves two whole boxes of coarse salt, so no.

I think BioShock 2's strength is its gameplay. I found toggling between plasmids and weapons a little fiddly on Bioshock, so having both out at once was a good touch.

How cold your heart must be. Bioshock 2 was even more effective than 1, I thought. A stellar complement to the original.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Yates also did Suspect, which i've always liked.

Bogart on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Anyone on the drive between LA and Portland possibly able to give me a place to crash say....friday evening? Eh Eh?

*crickets*

Man I used to do the LA-Portland drive once a year. There IS nothing on that drive. It's LA, barren wasteland, Sacramento, barren wasteland, mountains, pretty country, redneck mini-cities, farmland, Portland sprawl.

Any tips on good places to stop for gas/food?

Eh, not really. Been several years since I drove that route. For sheer convenience, Roseburg and Grants Pass in southern Oregon are both good, with lots of options close to the freeway exit. But that was never a trip where I made a point of stopping and checking places out. I almost always did it in one day of nearly non-stop driving. Srsly, the northern half of California along I-5 is pretty dull.

My current plan is to try to do the drive in one go.

Is this a bad plan?

This time of year it can be tough depending on weather conditions going through the Siskiyous. In good weather, with limited construction/traffic, you can make the drive in 14 hours, assuming your gas and food stops are really quick. But in the winter you'll occasionally have to chain up to go over the pass, and that will slow things down a ton.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am not going to be able to play dead space 2 just like I was not able to play the first one. I hate scary games.

Man I knew there was a joke in there somewhere.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap! Three-day weekend coming up! Baller!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

T_T

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also Dead Space at least had a story all the way till the end unlike Bioshock...

um, it does?

The story was told mainly via items you looted off of the ground or in various rooms, sound recordings, those sorts of things.

I like the style better, it lets you as the player determine how much of the story you want to experience without forcing you to sit through boring cutscene or pointless exposition. It works for video games, and can work for movies to an extent.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want some fish now

mmmmm

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

um, it does?

It's like a Plot Collection Side Quest

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

um, it does?

I'm not sure how you did, especially after pylon-pushing, but, yep, you must have.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Totes unhealthy.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Well I could have spoiled the ending too, but I'd rather not eat an infraction for a joke, even one for an anti gun pro abortion wussy like gooey.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Is this a bad plan?
    It's doable, if you have a man-bladder. You're going to want to leave early in the morning; Personally, leaving from LA, I would leave at about 4:00am, so as to miss traffic in both LA and Sacramento.

If you want a good place to eat, stop in Williams (about 90 minutes north of Sacramento) at Granzella's. They sell local olives that are fucking delicious, stuffed with things like garlic, bleu cheese, jalapenos, etc. They also make awesome sandwiches at the deli. I wouldn't recommend a sit-down meal at the restaurant, though; it's not that it's not good, it will just take way longer than the sandwich.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

um, it does?

Don't get me wrong, I listened to all the audio files, but about the time his girlfriend showed up I was like "Man, I actually really don't care about what's going on here."

Winky on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I ran into my first necromorph doing that this morning and I still screamed and shot at it really badly, even though I knew what it was on sight.

I've played through the entire game and it's still freaking me out this time through.
    They do a good job making you feel outnumbered and like you're barely surviving.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

MLK day?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »

Is this a bad plan?
    It's doable, if you have a man-bladder. You're going to want to leave early in the morning; Personally, leaving from LA, I would leave at about 4:00am, so as to miss traffic in both LA and Sacramento.

If you want a good place to eat, stop in Williams (about 90 minutes north of Sacramento) at Granzella's. They sell local olives that are fucking delicious, stuffed with things like garlic, bleu cheese, jalapenos, etc. They also make awesome sandwiches at the deli. I wouldn't recommend a sit-down meal at the restaurant, though; it's not that it's not good, it will just take way longer than the sandwich.

everything about this post makes me want to go to california

Variable on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, Inqui, you suck for coming up to Portland this weekend, instead of just about any other weekend.
    Dangit, why? It's a three day weekend! Its the perfect kinda weekend for this sort of thing.
    I'm in Vegas this weekend. If it were another weekend, I'd head down there to hang out.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Well I could have spoiled the ending too, but I'd rather not eat an infraction for a joke, even one for an anti gun pro abortion wussy like gooey.

I'm really glad you didn't spoil that it was all a dream.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »
    Also Windows 98 absolutely screams on gaming builds from the WinXP era.

It has been my experience that Windows is a pretty good OS if you give it three times as much horsepower as it was designed for.

I once attempted to install XP on a machine with the minimum system requirements. XP will run on a Pentium. Not well. But it will run.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Variable wrote: »

Is this a bad plan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq-S8CIU7VA

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Is this a bad plan?

I should also mention that they have a free tasting of their olives at Granzella's; a bunch of jars that are just open you can try from.

So great.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Totes unhealthy.

99% of it is discarded after baking.
    Yeah, I ran into my first necromorph doing that this morning and I still screamed and shot at it really badly, even though I knew what it was on sight.

I've played through the entire game and it's still freaking me out this time through.
    They do a good job making you feel outnumbered and like you're barely surviving.

God yes. I am not looking forward to replaying many of the set pieces. Like anything vaguely associated with medical.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    drez it won't load for some reason but is that the OC theme song

Variable on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Fuck you gooey I was just watching Dallas for the first time and have somehow ignored every pop culture joke on this forever.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011

MLK day?

Yeah. Dude had a dream that unmotivated government employees could sleep in and then wake-and-bake. It's a good dream.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

um, it does?

Don't get me wrong, I listened to all the audio files, but about the time his girlfriend showed up I was like "Man, I actually really don't care about what's going on here."

THE GAME IS RUINED FOR ME NOW THANKS A LOT

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Also Windows 98 absolutely screams on gaming builds from the WinXP era.

It has been my experience that Windows is a pretty good OS if you give it three times as much horsepower as it was designed for.

I once attempted to install XP on a machine with the minimum system requirements. XP will run on a Pentium. Not well. But it will run.

Ouch.

chugchugchugchugswapswapswapchugswapfreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezeswapswapswap

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Is this a bad plan?

I should also mention that they have a free tasting of their olives at Granzella's; a bunch of jars that are just open you can try from.

So great.
    luckily I have a store nearby. I think it's called "A Shitload Of Olives"

may not be as good but it'll have olives.

Variable on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

How cold your heart must be. Bioshock 2 was even more effective than 1, I thought. A stellar complement to the original.

Did I say the story was bad? I'm just saying the Gameplay was good.

An issue with the story, however, is it kinda bloats the narrative leading up to the civil war established by BioShock.
    Original: Andrew Ryan founds Rapture, Frank Fontaine comes down and beats Ryan at his own objectivist game when he invests in ADAM, Ryan abandons Objectivism in favour of being a control freak, underlining his hypocracy.

BioShock 2: Ryan founds Rapture, people get depressed, he hires a psychiatrist who turns out to be communistesque and undermines him by opposing his ideology. While Ryan spends time dealing with Lamb, Fontaine builds his ADAM empire.

I think the stress of combatting Lamb kinda excuses the darker stuff he did in BioShock, which lessens his impact.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, Inqui, you suck for coming up to Portland this weekend, instead of just about any other weekend.
    Dangit, why? It's a three day weekend! Its the perfect kinda weekend for this sort of thing.
    I'm in Vegas this weekend. If it were another weekend, I'd head down there to hang out.

Translation: Inqi, you matter less than a three dollar hooker.

Fuck you gooey I was just watching Dallas for the first time and have somehow ignored every pop culture joke on this forever.

That's Newhart, actually.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

um, it does?

THE GAME IS RUINED FOR ME NOW THANKS A LOT

I guess we all have something to be butthurt about in these here forums.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This time of year it can be tough depending on weather conditions going through the Siskiyous. In good weather, with limited construction/traffic, you can make the drive in 14 hours, assuming your gas and food stops are really quick. But in the winter you'll occasionally have to chain up to go over the pass, and that will slow things down a ton.

Is this a bad time to own up to not even owning chains for my car?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    the newhart thing is the funniest ending to anything ever

Variable on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Inquisitor, still there?

Edit: hey, you are.

Are you taking I5 or 101 up to Portland?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The issue with 2 was forcing Ryan into the game, and then retconning the new lady into the old story. Its why I fear the prequel they are doing because I'm sure we'll have more of that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seriously guys

If you want a scary game

Play amnesia

Play it alone in the dark with headphones

Evil Multifarious on
This discussion has been closed.