As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tron: FINISH THE GAME

1323334353638»

• VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I view it as doing a cgi Jeff Bridges is really, really fucking hard and they didn't want to do it with 2 characters

Vesty on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    the best part of having shitty, easily confused eyes is that i had no idea that young jeff bridges was cgi until i was told

mensch-o-matic on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If they had just asked me I would have told them that the perfect solution would have been to have whatever stuntman that was wear a mask that featured a heavily-derez-scarred face.

Seriously on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    But they did have scenes of young-Tron, in the flashback when
    Clu attacks Flynn the Elder

Abracadaniel on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vesty wrote: »
    I view it as doing a cgi Jeff Bridges is really, really fucking hard and they didn't want to do it with 2 characters
    Well, they already do a young Boxlitner in the flashbacks, but I guess it was an issue of volume.

august on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I beat you to that post on my lightcycle

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2011
    that footage was pretty grainy, I don't think that was nearly as difficult/costly to do

Seriously on
    edited January 2011
    I am an armchair CGI expert, please feel free to examine my degrees that I made using paint.net

Seriously on
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    young jeff bridges was really creepy looking to me when in the real world, but he was a little better when shown in the grid. though I knew going in that he was cgi so i was probably just looking for it anyway.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    august wrote: »
    Vesty wrote: »
    Well, they already do a young Boxlitner in the flashbacks, but I guess it was an issue of volume.
    Probably. He was never close to the camera, only seen very shortly, and as mentioned grainy / desaturated so it was probably a lot simpler than Bridges cg.

Vesty on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Did anyone have any idea what the style choice meant when they used this weird hex-shaped filter that made everything look weirdly pixellated meant?

Was that just there to denote "flashback to early days on the Grid?"

MrMonroe on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Saw this last night FINALLY. I agree with what others have said that the 3D isn't totally necessary. I was a tad disappointed. And this was the first time I noticed how the glasses dim the movie... it was a damn shame.

As for the film itself...
    I went in with expectations that it was much like the first Tron in that the special effects and visuals take precedence over plot/characters, and those expectations were met, unfortunately. Lots of parts of the plot that aren't emphasized enough, as mentioned before. ISOs and whatnot. So... in terms of that, I was disappointed.

Another complaint was that the first two major action scenes were... boring! Well, maybe not boring but I thought something else could've been done to add some *oomph* to those sequences. As much as I hate to say it, the soundtrack was the culprit, I thought. Just for those parts though. The disc fight and lightcycle scene had very mellow, slow music accompanying it, when maybe I thought it should've taken a cue from the nightclub scene and used something like Derezzed (which kicks ass, I might add).

So, what did I like? The nods to the early film, for sure. Clu's cruiser borrowed some design ideas from the one in the first film, and I enjoyed that. Kevin's retro-bike. And did anybody else get excited when they played Journey in the arcade? SO AWESOME. Also, the overall look of the film was fantastic. I could look at all the neon colours all day. And women in skintight leather, yes please! And earlier complaints about the soundtrack aside, I did thoroughly enjoy it, and downloaded it promptly after getting home.

So yeah. The film gets an 'okay' from me.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    You thought the first two action scenes were boring? Really? Wow.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not so boring that I was like, "oh my goodness finish this so we can move on", like some of the expository scenes. I just didn't feel as edge-of-my-seat as I hoped.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shit, how had I not seen this yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4cgLL8JaVI

Grey Ghost on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am asking you the same question GG >:C
    <3<3<3

Antimatter on
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't stop listening to the soundtrack. Playing Outlander at night while driving could be my new favorite thing.

I'm also predicting that this will become a movie that I will watch repeatedly on HBO when it gets there.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Shit, how had I not seen this yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4cgLL8JaVI

oh god yes.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was just listening to that while playing TF2

The song kicked in proper just as dev|eric critted me with his bottle and it redefined my whole life

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So B.C. and I saw this last night. Oh man was that a fun film. Plot wasn't the best, but boy was it fun. So what platform should I get the video game on?

SenorTacos on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PS3

Kochikens on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gonna see this film tonight

I think it's gonna be ace

Solar on
    edited January 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Gonna see this film tonight

I think it's gonna be ace

Looks like I was correct in my prediction

Because Tron: Legacy is a fantastic movie you see

Solar on
    edited January 2011
    Did you see it in IMAX 3D or in regular-o-vision?

SenorTacos on
    edited January 2011
    I saw it in 3D

and it was pretty. Visually and audially a fantastic spectacle. My buddy said that the plot didn't detract or add anything to the movie but I actually really liked it, yes even the bit at the end where they both go back through (we're told that the grid and how it works defies what we think we know about science, medicine etc so they even cover that base pretty well I thought).

Also Sam Flynn was likeable as the solid action hero, Olivia Wilde pulled of Quorra (or whatever) well and managed to add a sense of fun humour to what could have been a typical action girl role, and Jeff Bridges was cool as an aged hippie trying to do his zen thing maaaaan

So yeah personally speaking I thought it was a great sci-fi film, not just a pretty spectacle but also a cool and clever movie on top of that.

Solar on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KEVIN FLYNN BUILT THE GRID
    IN A COMPUTER
    WITH A BOX OF RAM

Bloods End on
    edited January 2011
    "I... Fight... For... The... Users!"

Solar on
    edited January 2011
    Where are the bits? There were no bits!

SenorTacos on
    edited January 2011
    SenorTacos wrote: »
    Where are the bits? There were no bits!

Exactly

And he even turns blue

Solar on
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I bought the soundtrack and it is awesome. Derezzed is the most popular but this is such a cool tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WujZjzX8WxY&playnext=1&list=PL0A663422A2C8E656&index=11

And Jeff Bridges is even in it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndRcSF6TR8&feature=BF&list=PL0A663422A2C8E656&index=2

marty_0001 on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    love both those

Antimatter on
    edited January 2011
    Overture gives me a boner.

Jeff Bridges really was pretty fantastic in this. He was one of the highlights for me.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TRONSoundShowFlyerFINAL.jpg
    Going to this

QuestionMarkMan on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hoping it's still in the IMAX theater this weekend.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I saw this last week and it was super rad.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TRONSoundShowFlyerFINAL.jpg
    Going to this

What?

Yes.

Hell yes.
    Hell
    fucking
    yes.