As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E Discussion] Heroes of Shadow. Dhampyr Vryloka Vampire now possible.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    He is positioning the sword where the enemy will fall into it.

It's like Home Alone.

Incenjucar on
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here's the real mystery: why was Halfling Parry Mastery never put in the builder/compendium?

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mugginns wrote: »
    I'm gonna be a halfling fighter in our dark sun game coming up, should be pretty awesome, gonna hit things really hard with huge weapons and scream ULULULULULULULULU

would you like to use a Fullblade and a Greatbow

I'll allow it

edit:

6GLLj.jpg

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, so someone write up a Dragon article with some superior Small weapons. Problem solved?

Denada on
    edited January 2011
    Dragon magazine only creates problems

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They'd want nine pages of fluff and they'd put in a feat to give you +1 damage for one turn with a two handed weapon, if you're facing southwest on the full moon of the month.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited January 2011
    Aegeri wrote: »
    They'd want nine pages of fluff and they'd put in a feat to give you +1 damage for one turn with a two handed weapon, if you're facing southwest on the full moon of the month.

It will be the entirety of 4E's Wu-Jen coverage and the damage will be poison.

Incenjucar on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Litejedi wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Except that Mr. Human Avenger really gets his "skill" from the divine might with which he empowers his weapon. Which explains why he'll never qualify for any of the related weapon feats.

Except for crit on 19-20, focus and expertise.

Maybe you were talking about Heavy Blade Opportunity? Which is pretty good, but completely pointless when compared to Power of Skill or Melee Training (Wisdom) which empowers him to hit perfectly accurately with a weapon he can barely lift (having nothing to do with divine skill).

How you're getting 19-20 crit on an Avenger without a Jagged weapon or some ludicrously convoluted feat/ability/PP setup is beyond me. Focus and Expertise are just fine, and can be explained via fluff. Without my book in front of me I can't mention specific examples, but other melee classes get access to a bevy of awesome feats that Avengers don't.

I mean are you seriously insisting that Fighters don't have enough feat support?

Terrendos on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Really I would just be happy if they would allow small characters some sort of small staff. I wouldn't mind if it did 1d4 damage, as it stands a small stick of the same make and density is impossible to hit people with as a halfling. The comprehension may not be full, so let's make it clear.

Fourth edition does not let small characters use sticks to hit enemies as weapons. Sticks!

"Ugbug find stick to hit boar with"
    "No no Ugbug, you not able use stick, it too large"
    "Ugbug invent shortbow then, need weapon with small keyword"

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited January 2011
    Except that Mr. Human Avenger really gets his "skill" from the divine might with which he empowers his weapon. Which explains why he'll never qualify for any of the related weapon feats.

Except for crit on 19-20, focus and expertise.

Maybe you were talking about Heavy Blade Opportunity? Which is pretty good, but completely pointless when compared to Power of Skill or Melee Training (Wisdom) which empowers him to hit perfectly accurately with a weapon he can barely lift (having nothing to do with divine skill).

How you're getting 19-20 crit on an Avenger without a Jagged weapon or some ludicrously convoluted feat/ability/PP setup is beyond me. Focus and Expertise are just fine, and can be explained via fluff. Without my book in front of me I can't mention specific examples, but other melee classes get access to a bevy of awesome feats that Avengers don't.

I mean are you seriously insisting that Fighters don't have enough feat support?

Hand of Divine Guidance
    Epic Tier
    Prerequisite: 21st level, avenger, oath of enmity power
    Benefit: You score critical hits on a roll of 19-20 against your oath of enmity target.

Generally the only feats which buff specific weapon types and also have ability requirements, outside of PH1 feats (such as Heavy Blade Opportunity and Blade Opportunist) have the fighter requirement. If you multiclass fighter, as an avenger, you cannot have an 8 strength. If you are a hybrid avenger/fighter with an 8 strength then you are a dumb. In fact, with a cursory search, there are only three heavy blade feats in the game that have strength as a requirement, and they are all in PH1.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Really I would just be happy if they would allow small characters some sort of small staff. I wouldn't mind if it did 1d4 damage, as it stands a small stick of the same make and density is impossible to hit people with as a halfling. The comprehension may not be full, so let's make it clear.

As I was reading the discussion I was trying to find a mechanical fix outside of just slapping an AC bonus which is problematic.

I think if you made non-dagger weapons brutal 2 in the hands of small character that would do it. That should raise the average damage by 1, stacks with multiple [W]'s and could easily be said to represent the ease with which small creatures can target things which are so huge.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I always wonder at the super in-depth rules discussion... of course you want a great basis for your game, but RPGs aren't by their nature competitive, so why not just house rule whatever you want? It isn't like Magic or Warhams... just do whatever you want! It is a co-op game where you play a story.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited January 2011
    ok so awhile ago I said I had about 50 maps from giveaways, Worldwide D&D gameday, etc

so here they are, they were scanned in, so many of them need to be edited to remove glare

if you edit one to remove glare PM it to me so I can save it!

http://bloatware.net/Dnd.rar file is ~220MB, it has some Star Wars but it's mostly D&D stuff. includes bigass maps of Khorvaire, Faerun, and Athas.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm making new monsters for Gamma World and have decided to use silly puns as inspiration (in the vein of "centisteed", the horse centipede). So far the only one I've come up with that I really like is the "formaldehydra", the many-headed serpent that embalms its victims.

Anyone have any other stupid puns that could inspire deadly creatures?

Hexmage-PA on
    edited January 2011
    Most excellent. Maps are always good and glare can always be removed by strategic chopping up of the map ;)

Aegeri on
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I always wonder at the super in-depth rules discussion... of course you want a great basis for your game, but RPGs aren't by their nature competitive, so why not just house rule whatever you want? It isn't like Magic or Warhams... just do whatever you want! It is a co-op game where you play a story.

Games using 4E are probably going to have stories about one of the following:

1.) Killing goblins.
    2.) Fighting demons.
    3.) Slaying dragons.

So it's very important that the rules for a player's ability to resolve violent conflict be very, very good. And most of them are! The ones that aren't are pretty annoying, though. That these flaws can be houseruled away is nice and all, but it'd be better if that wasn't needed.

(This will never not be needed.)

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
    edited January 2011

This is true in all of my home games, but when RPGA play comes in the mix, it is a different story.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited January 2011
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Most excellent. Maps are always good and glare can always be removed by strategic chopping up of the map ;)

if you require higher res let me know, I have a 1.3GB archive of .tif files.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited January 2011
    That was awesome what you posted :D It's funny because I have a lot of those maps as well but this saves me some time scanning them myself :D

Aegeri on
    edited January 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Hemodryad - a vampiric tree lady.

Incenjucar on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

A system that lets you do that easily is awesome. A system that requires your own intervention to be fair or playable is not.

SJ on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SJ wrote: »

A system that lets you do that easily is awesome. A system that requires your own intervention to be fair or playable is not.

Definitely, but it seems like peeps get really hung up on rules for some reason with 4th Edition, when you shouldn't.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited January 2011
    I think it has more to do with the fact that 4e is so well designed with such an obvious design philosophy that the things that stick out are really, really obvious when you see them and harder to explain away in the context of that design philosophy.

SJ on
  • JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you want a halfling with a D10 weapon why not just use a battleaxe or a warhammer?

D&D isn't (shouldn't) be about "topping the meters". Besides, you don't roll max damage every time, so it's not a "flat penalty".

Jishian on
    edited January 2011
    Pointless penalties don't have to be a big deal to be Terrible.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
    edited January 2011
    Jishian wrote: »
    If you want a halfling with a D10 weapon why not just use a battleaxe or a warhammer?

D&D isn't (shouldn't) be about "topping the meters". Besides, you don't roll max damage every time, so it's not a "flat penalty".

I didn't think we were still talking about that, but again, the issue is that there are certain races that have their options at character creation and beyond arbitrarily restricted if they choose certain classes which goes against 4es stated design ethos. It's not a huge deal but it's one of the things that sticks out as contrary to the rest of the games design. There's no reason for small people not to have small fullblades that are just as good as everyone elses fullblades, especially when it comes to PC's who are supposed to be amazing bad-asses from character creation.

SJ on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Fourth edition does not let small characters use sticks to hit enemies as weapons. Sticks!

Actually, that isn't true. You can definitely use a stick--or a fullblade, for that matter. It counts as an "improvised" weapon. You can use a pipe section or a rock or a chair. Your possibilities are limitless.

I second the "Why do people care so much" question. I mean, was there a whole bevy of fullblade wielding halfling avengers that people wanted to make? Who actually wants to be a halfling with a 7 foot sword?

Before someone says, "Don't get 'realist' on us", honestly ask yourself if you have ever wanted to play a 3 foot tall person with a 7 foot sword.

streever on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Come the fuck on, people. The shortest Dwarf is only 6" taller than the tallest Halfling according to the Player's Handbooks. If a 4' tall Dwarf can use a fucking 7' sword, so can a fucking 3'6" Halfling. The goddamn end.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Hemodryad - a vampiric tree lady.

Awesome. I'm totally using that.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited January 2011
    also why do your fullblades have to be 7' feet long can't a halflings be like 5 feet long

SJ on
    edited January 2011
    There's nothing stopping you from reflavoring a dwarf into a halfling (he's a slim and beardless dwarf, there you go) if you don't want to houserule anything.

Jishian on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's nothing stopping you from reflavoring a dwarf into a halfling (he's a slim and beardless dwarf, there you go) if you don't want to houserule anything.

Nothing except the LAWS OF NATURE.

hippofant on
    edited January 2011

I think you're missing the point. It's not "how do we fix this?" That's easy. There's lots of solutions. It's "this imbalance should not exist."

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
    edited January 2011
    streever wrote: »

Actually, that isn't true. You can definitely use a stick--or a fullblade, for that matter. It counts as an "improvised" weapon. You can use a pipe section or a rock or a chair. Your possibilities are limitless.

I second the "Why do people care so much" question. I mean, was there a whole bevy of fullblade wielding halfling avengers that people wanted to make? Who actually wants to be a halfling with a 7 foot sword?

Before someone says, "Don't get 'realist' on us", honestly ask yourself if you have ever wanted to play a 3 foot tall person with a 7 foot sword.

what if I want my Halfling to use a Longspear, or a Greatbow, or a crossbow, or a gouge, or a mordenkrad

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited January 2011
    well then fuck you that's what

SJ on
  • TaarkothTaarkoth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Trying to argue that one character gets to do something that another character with the same general style of doing things can't (guys what hit things with other things in this case) because the first guy has magic falls apart when that rogue over there is literally stealing your memories without using any magical assistance whatsoever (Thief of Legend ED).

All characters are able to pull off supernatural feats no matter their power source. Martial pcs do it with PREPOSTERONE.

That said, I'd just like it if small characters could have some 2-hand and some reach weapons that they don't need to spend a feat to use. The weapon size thing from 3.5 would be acceptable, too.

Taarkoth on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SJ wrote: »
    well then fuck you that's what

New thread title, move on.

:D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited January 2011
    streever wrote: »

...Actually, gnome Sephiroth would probably be a good time.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
    edited January 2011
    Aegof wrote: »

I think you're missing the point. It's not "how do we fix this?" That's easy. There's lots of solutions. It's "this imbalance should not exist."

It's not an imbalance like dwarves having speed 5 and elves having speed 7, it's just a few limited options for a few unorthodox class combinations. I think having some sort of monkey grip feat to enable it would be fine, but I don't think small characters should be able to wield huge weapons by default. That's just my opinion though, feel free to carry on.

Jishian on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aegof wrote: »

It's not an imbalance like dwarves having speed 5 and elves having speed 7, it's just a few limited options for a few unorthodox class combinations. I think having some sort of monkey grip feat to enable it would be fine, but I don't think small characters should be able to wield huge weapons by default. That's just my opinion though, feel free to carry on.
    Dwarves only having a speed of 5 doesn't disqualify them from using basic things in the PHB, though. That's simply a lower number, it's not a prohibition against options. They don't make a great choice for building a character to be a speed demon (though they do make a fun one if you like irony), but they have access to the same options on that front as everyone else does.

Just like not having a racial bonus to Cha doesn't stop a Half Orc from playing a Bard, etc.

But you simply cannot play a halfling with a greataxe, regardless of how suboptimal it would or would not be.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.