As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I like to draw too :D

Polish MartyrPolish Martyr Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Artist's Corner
I know I need to draw more I just been so busy with video games and idiotic art history. Here are two of my favorite pieces I have done so far.
life_and_death_by_twitchy01-d13wzg0.jpg

Forgotten_Soldier_by_twitchy01.jpg

Polish Martyr on

• The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey, welcome to the boards. Could you post a few images in this forum thread instead of just linking us to your DA gallery? It 's better for us to view a selection and easier to crit if it's all here on one page.

Basically we're all too lazy to click links... ;)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, seriously, who needs to learn anything about worthless art history?

DeeLock on
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah for real its not like you learn anything interesting

flowerhoney on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just a couple of thoughts after looking through your gallery:

Do you take time to sketch and learn and study and make mistakes? Part of becoming a good artist is taking time to not worry about making a great finished piece, but figuring out techniques, finding out what works and what doesn't. Then when you work on a piece you intend to display, your time spent practicing will be reflected in your final piece.

Buy some inking pens. Sharpies are horrible for inking as they bleed and are hard to control. The Micron brand is pretty good. Check out an art store or a Michaels or even online to see what you like.

Work on building up confident lines. Have you done any work building up geometric shapes for your drawings? They are coming across as very flat, and figuring out the basic shapes for things will allow you to draw confident lines, as well as drawing objects from different/challenging angles, something else that your work lacks.

And then of course: draw from real life!

Keep on practicing!

NibCrom on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeheah, ffffffuckdatshit.
    edit: damn you nibs! You broke it apart

m3nace on
    edited January 2011
    Well if it makes you feel any better...

As much as I like playing video games, they are not an excuse to delay your personal goals.

NibCrom on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to take "Idiotic art history" because it sounds like the class where you learn about the first guy to die after eating oil paints.

Metalbourne on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to take "Idiotic art history" because it sounds like the class where you learn about the first guy to die after eating oil paints.
    Hahaha, or guys getting infections from painting with their...
    wait argh
    back on topic!

m3nace on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, just posting a link to your site is a no-no around here. Please take the time to read the rules thread before posting again.

DMAC on
  • Polish MartyrPolish Martyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Yeah, seriously, who needs to learn anything about worthless art history?
    The class is late nights for three hours sitting in a dark room in a basement while a monotone teacher reads off slides of old paintings. Although I can see why it is a required course for my major.

Polish Martyr on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Come now gentlemen. Art history is pretty boring when, like most history classes, the required reading is some dusty tome of information written by some anally retentive wanker in the least engaging manner possible.

Mustang on
    edited January 2011
    Mustang wrote: »
    Come now gentlemen. Art history is pretty boring when, like most history classes, the required reading is some dusty tome of information written by some anally retentive wanker in the least engaging manner possible.

See the funny thing is I actually love history classes. I use to be a history minor. I recently changed my minor to Art History since I have to take the classes anyway for my major. So might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Polish Martyr on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like history when it is presented in it's most idiot like form on television, especially when the history involves rockets and explosions. Classroom based history can go fuck itself.

Mustang on
    edited January 2011
    Mustang wrote: »
    I like history when it is presented in it's most idiot like form on television, especially when the history involves rockets and explosions. Classroom based history can go fuck itself.

"Ray, pretend for a moment that I don't know anything about metallurgy, engineering, or physics, and just tell me what the hell is going on."

NibCrom on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I remember looking around in one of my morning art history classes and being the only one in my row with his eyes open.

DMAC on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pay attention in art history, kids, or else you'll get a D in that class like someone who isn't me did.

To be fair it was at 9 in the morning, and that person who totally wasn't me had a 2 hour commute.

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited January 2011
    Pay attention in art history, kids, or else you'll get a D in that class like someone who isn't me did.

To be fair it was at 9 in the morning, and that person who totally wasn't me had a 2 hour commute.

I almost got a D in Art History but I pulled a Superman which means I actually opened a book and got a C+. I have to take the second part of the class this semester thankfully the guy that emails everyone the lecture notes is in my class again so I think I will be fine.

Polish Martyr on