As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Hobbit] Rough cut is in the wild!

• RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I wonder if Jackson is going to pull a Lucas and have Martin Freeman film Bilbo's scene in the prologue, and digitally insert him as Young Bilbo when they leave for the Grey Havens.

RocketSauce on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I wonder if Jackson is going to pull a Lucas and have Martin Freeman film Bilbo's scene in the prologue, and digitally insert him as Young Bilbo when they leave for the Grey Havens.

just the fact that anyone in the world had this thought is depressing me

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Variable wrote: »

Eh, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Now, I would offer that they should just re-shoot the scene and put it in instead of digitally inserting, but whatever. It's a scene that will have to be shot anyway for the Hobbit, and it looks like Jackson is making a big push to really tie the Hobbit films into the greater LOTR screen mythos.

Seeing Freeman make a 4-second cameo in an appropriate spot during the Fellowship prologue is actually a nice thought.

Atomika on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tolkien himself was constantly revising everything about his works.

He had a release a really really edited version of the Hobbit later on in his life that brought it into synch with Lord of the Rings.

Speaker on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Speaker wrote: »

He had a release a really really edited version of the Hobbit later on in his life that brought it into synch with Lord of the Rings.

You should listen to the Tolkien Professor podcasts.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So filming is starting in February? That is good news. I kind of wish I was still living in Wellington, as a large project like that means going out is more fun with all the actors are about

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    poshniallo wrote: »

Why didn't anyone tell me there were Tolkien podcasts before??

Centipede Damascus on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hang on, was Saruman even in The Hobbit?

Man, it really sounds like Jackman is just trying to get as much of the cast of LotR back together again as he can.

...which is absolutely fine by me. :P

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Hang on, was Saruman even in The Hobbit?

Man, it really sounds like Jackman is just trying to get as much of the cast of LotR back together again as he can.

...which is absolutely fine by me. :P

Well, not exactly, but there is plenty of supplemental material that shows what he, Gandalf and the White Council were doing at the time.

I'm totally down with using the two Hobbit movies to adapt such material because there's no other narrative that could be told that could show these events.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    edited January 2011
    Basically it sounds like he wants to show Galadriel, Elrond, Saruman, Gandalf, and Radagast assault the Necromancer's stronghold in Mirkwood.

Which sounds completely awesome.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited January 2011
    Did I just call him "Jackman" instead of "Jackson?" Erf.

cloudeagle on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder if anyone will be playing Radagast. Does anyone even CARE about Radagast?

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Basically it sounds like he wants to show Galadriel, Elrond, Saruman, Gandalf, and Radagast assault the Necromancer's stronghold in Mirkwood.

Alright see, the fact that I can read the books and have no clue this shit went on is why I hate Tolkien.

StuffGuy on
    edited January 2011

I have basked in their glory already.

Reading the Silmarillion along with his class was AMAZING.

Speaker on
    edited January 2011
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone will be playing Radagast. Does anyone even CARE about Radagast?

hell yes people care about Radagast

enough that this dude is playing him:

sylvestermccoy2.jpg
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/10/23/39529-sylvester-mccoy-confirms-his-role-as-radagast-the-brown/

Centipede Damascus on
    edited January 2011

Why didn't anyone tell me there were Tolkien podcasts before??

Oh dude. You are in for a treat. Search for Tolkien Professor on iTunes.

Speaker on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    StuffGuy wrote: »

Alright see, the fact that I can read the books and have no clue this shit went on is why I hate Tolkien.

The Hobbit quite clearly tells you that one of the reasons that Gandalf was delayed in arriving before The Battle of Five Armies is because he's busy taking care of the Necromancer, and in the Lord of the Rings he goes further and explains that the Necromancer wasn't the Witch King or one of the Nazgul like originally thought and was instead Sauron himself.

iguanacus on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I should reread the Hobbit at some point.

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011
    Christopher Lee is now apparently a lock for returning, with the caveat "providing good health."

I don't know if anyone has had a late-career resurgence in the way he has.

Atomika on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Christopher Lee is now apparently a lock for returning, with the caveat "providing good health."

Betty White?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

His voice is just too awesome not to reward

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited January 2011

Now, I would offer that they should just re-shoot the scene and put it in instead of digitally inserting, but whatever. It's a scene that will have to be shot anyway for the Hobbit, and it looks like Jackson is making a big push to really tie the Hobbit films into the greater LOTR screen mythos.

Seeing Freeman make a 4-second cameo in an appropriate spot during the Fellowship prologue is actually a nice thought.

I have no problem with any part of it besides the digital inserting. reshoot, sure.

I don't even mind it in rotj almost at all, actually. by all means tie the series together it just feels weird to have someone implanted ina scene they weren't there for. for me.

Variable on
    edited January 2011

I have no problem with any part of it besides the digital inserting. reshoot, sure.

I don't even mind it in rotj almost at all, actually. by all means tie the series together it just feels weird to have someone implanted ina scene they weren't there for. for me.

Completely in agreement with you.

Atomika on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Who would do Smaugs voice?

They said it has to be someone with a voice not associated with a CGI character or animated, so no Jeremy Irons, Liam Neeson, or James Earl Jones.

If he could pull his toughguy persona out of the voice acting, Vin Diesel has the kind of baritone that could do it. I just don't see him being able to utilize a "Middle Earth" accent.

Edit: Then again, he did the voice of the Iron Giant. So there's that...

jungleroomx on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bill Nighy, isn't it?

Fencingsax on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd heard Bill Nighy too, though imdb has Leonard Nimoy listed as "(rumored)".

Either one would be pretty awesome, though Nighy seems a little bit closer to Smaug's character.

KalTorak on
    edited January 2011
    I thought Nimoy was loudly saying he was retiring from acting, aside from wrapping up his Fringe role.

cloudeagle on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really hope it's not Nimoy. I don't want a Smaug who's got loose dentures.

Cabezone on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stephen McHattie

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0570385/

My vote!

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I really hope it's not Nimoy. I don't want a Smaug who's got loose dentures.

I love me some Nimoy, but he does have Grampa Mouth somethin' fierce.

Ceno on
    edited January 2011
    I kinda got attached to bill nighy, I thought that was official. booooo

Variable on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They should just get the guy who did the Rankin/Bass Smaug. Provided he's alive.

edit: Damn it =(

Xaquin on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tennant I can see as a elf.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I will see it a dozen times if Nighy is Smaug.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    edited January 2011
    TheDigitalBits is reporting that Warners and New Line seem to be circling a deal for the Extended Editions of the LOTR trilogy to hit Blu-Ray sometime by the end of this year.

I really expected them to hold off until the release of The Hobbit, either in theaters or on video, but I guess we'll see. Nothing in stone yet, no dates announced.

Atomika on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TheDigitalBits is reporting that Warners and New Line seem to be circling a deal for the Extended Editions of the LOTR trilogy to hit Blu-Ray sometime by the end of this year.

I really expected them to hold off until the release of The Hobbit, either in theaters or on video, but I guess we'll see. Nothing in stone yet, no dates announced.

Nah, end of this year makes perfect sense, as December 19th will mark the 10th anniversary of Fellowship hitting theaters.

So a commerative edition to launch the Extendeds on Blu-Ray sounds pretty much perfect for the holiday season.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Nah, end of this year makes perfect sense, as December 19th will mark the 10th anniversary of Fellowship hitting theaters.

So a commerative edition to launch the Extendeds on Blu-Ray sounds pretty much perfect for the holiday season.

Add a preview featurette for the Hobbit and you got some great hype that will make money for all involved.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Holy crap, I feel old.

OldSlacker on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Holy crap, I feel old.

That would also allow Jackson to reshoot the scene with Bilbo in the Fellowship prologue to include Martin Freeman, should he so desire. I'm not advocating it, but there's an opening there, and I feel it would be far less egregious than Hayden in Return of the Jedi.

Ceno on