As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Keeping phone safe on bike

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My new job is close enough to cycle to so I'd like to start soon. However the place I physically works at doesn't allow cell phones of any kind. I don't want to be without my phone in case I need to get a hold of someone, especially for, say, a ride should weather go south mid trip or I not be able to repair the bike. Are there lock boxes that attach to bikes? It doesn't need to be fool proof, since the bike itself will be stored in a relatively safe place. I just need it to keep honest people honest.

Quid on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They don't have a box or something at the front desk to keep cell phones in during the day? In a time when pretty much everyone has a cell phone on them, seems weird that they wouldn't give you a secure place to store it if you can't bring it in the building.

Anyway, for Christmas I got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Bicycle-Seat-Pack-Black/dp/B000PKF19U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294723169&sr=8-1

Obviously it doesn't have a lock on it or anything, but it's a nondescript container that can hold a cell phone (err, one smaller than an iPhone anyway) - might be enough, depending on how secure the bike storage place is.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    My new job is close enough to cycle to so I'd like to start soon. However the place I physically works at doesn't allow cell phones of any kind. I don't want to be without my phone in case I need to get a hold of someone, especially for, say, a ride should weather go south mid trip or I not be able to repair the bike. Are there lock boxes that attach to bikes? It doesn't need to be fool proof, since the bike itself will be stored in a relatively safe place. I just need it to keep honest people honest.

They don't have a phone at your work that you could use if something goes wrong?

Esh on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

They don't have a phone at your work that you could use if something goes wrong?

I'm sure they do, and I'm sure he's talking about when he's going to/from work if he needs a phone for an urgent/emergency situation.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Would a book bag work?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Would a book bag work?

Not to leave on his bike. A big bag is more likely to attract attention.

Personally, I'd get a small saddle bag and a cheap-ass bar cellphone with a hundred minutes on it and just leave it with the bike. That way, you've got an emergency phone to call out on if you need it, and if some dink does decide to steal it out of the bag you're out 20, 30 bucks. Leave the main cell at home, that way you don't have to worry about accidentally bringing it in with you and getting in trouble.

see317 on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    what kind of job is it?

there should be some place you can stash your phone when you come in, with a manager or at the front desk

edit: you could always get a small bag, wrap the handles around the frame, attach it with a padlock, and then secure the zipper/bag itself with another padlock or a mini lock

Raneados on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The kind of job that I won't be discussing here. But there most definitely is not a place to put my phone. They aren't obligated to provide a place and since most people drive they just leave their phones in their cars.

Quid on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    You might be able to find a KeySafe big enough for a cell phone, and just ride with that in a bag and then attach it to your frame before work. I think a saddle bag and a trac phone is the best bet, though.

or: http://www.amazon.com/Helix-Personal-Safe-Tether-61019/dp/B000GOYCYU/ref=pd_sim_hi_11

I dont think a bike specific one exists, but I think you can be creative with the variety of lockboxes

Iruka on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    honestly you should try a few bike stores with this same question, you can't be the first person to have this issue

Raneados on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Short of welding a lockbox of some sort to your bike, I think the best you can do is some sort of bike bag and then padlock the two zippers together.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've got:

- A small very cheap bicycle lock (very thin)
    - A Bike Bag that fits under the seat
    - A tiny padlock.

I keep 'valuables' (nothing I would be upset over having stolen, but valuable enough to go to some effort to protect, like spare tubes, tyre leavers etc) in the bike bag. The bike bag is one of these types:
    bikeBag1md.jpg

and just sits under the seat. I've also secured it with the small bike lock to the underside of the seat (there's a loop on the back of the bag).

I then just padlock the bag closed with a tiny lock. If someone wanted to steal it then they could rip the bag off, tearing the loop, and then force the padlock open, or just cut the bag but it puts off opportunist thieves.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It sounds to me like if you really live that close to work, not having your phone shouldn't be a terrible inconvenience since you can't use it at work either, but that's not helpful, sorry. Even if you managed to secure your phone to your bike, bikes are easily stolen even when locked up.

You could ask a coworker to store your phone in their car.

Get a portable lockbox that you can stash in a bush and hope that no one sees you hide it every day. Out of sight, out of mind. Or skip the lockbox altogether and just hide the phone.

Make friends with a local shopkeeper, like a convenience store owner. Tell him you'll be a customer every day if he'll hold your phone for you.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Found a solution. The gym on my base rents out lockers and since I plan on stopping by there most days anyway I'm just going to go with that. Thanks for the help everyone.

Quid on