As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Convincing people to go to PAX

agoajagoaj Top TierOne FearRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in PAX Archive
I've got some friends I'd like to go to PAX with, but they don't have any clue what PAX is! What's the one video I can show them to surely convince them?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
agoaj on

• Options
    ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Trailer
    has been my best seller. Otherwise have them watch the Pax East episode of PATV.

I went with 6 last year, I've more than double my group this year with the trailer = P

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • Options
    territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it's the kind of thing that either immediately appeals to you, or doesn't.

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it's the kind of thing that either immediately appeals to you, or doesn't.

Not necessarily. It's a pretty hefty investment to travel a long distance for just a weekend, especially for college students like myself and my friends. All in my circle agree that PAX looks awesome, but they can't justify the cost quite yet. Told one that I saw Molly Lewis playing Still Alive on a uke though and I think I may have given her proper justification. Now to work on the others.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Options
    GoosecheckaGoosechecka Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm always amazed at how many gamers don't know what PAX is. There's so many different kinds of convention, I think it's important to understand what to expect.

Goosechecka on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The pilot episode of PATV is a good primer.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is my brother's 7th and my 5th PAX we went from 2 to 5 to 10 to 15 to about 15 confirmed this year. What I've done is post our photos from PAX and spread the word through friends. It is slightly cheaper for us to do this event because we are only traveling 300 mi but one of our members does travel all the way from Japan. It is worth it, put 20-30 dollars away a month and have fun. And keep the word spreading!

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I know 3 of my coworkers at the Starbucks I work at part-time not bought-up yet for PAX East. They will be SO PISSED when it sells out and they have to see the parade of PAXers coming through and they have no chance of getting in. We aren't the closest Starbucks to the convention center, but we're one of the closest to the downtown area and get a lot of BCEC convention-goers stopping in on weekends. Normally they're there for trade shows or something equally as lifeless but I'm pretty sure that this is one convention my gamer-staff will be most interested in.

But hey, I've been warning them for months now, since badges went on sale. Ya snooze, ya lose ;)

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you are looking for video to sell the idea of PAX to friends, I could not recommend this more.

Penny-Arcade the Series Season 1 - Episode 15: PAX East

PS: JuJu Is that you in the pictures near the end with all the pictures? Holding the Pokemon thingy?

But... I'm not sure if showing a trailer or video will actually make people want to spend money they don't have on a trip. Besides, PAX (at least to me) was much more of a personal experience compared to other cons. I PAX works if you hare a fan (if not a potential fan) of Penny-Arcade. If you love PA then you are bound to love whatever else other fans will tend to enjoy. PAX rolls from there. It's why they say PAX is about the people first.

You may want to get them interested in PA in the first place and all things associated to it.

I'm always amazed at how many gamers don't know what PAX is. There's so many different kinds of convention, I think it's important to understand what to expect.

That is so true yet it does not make an iota of sense to me. Whenever I talk about PAX to gamers (and I swim through them each day at the IT firm where I work), I usually get blank stares asking what the heck it is. I also have quite a few long term friends who now work in the gaming industry and not all of them really knows what it is.

Almost all of my close and/or long term friends did not show much interest in PAXEast last year, however after I came back with + 1 billion points of happyness, they started asking a few more serious questions. Even the most notorious non-gamer one. I know a few who have shown some serious interest in coming but this time around I said nothing. Besides I'm going there as a couple (again, which could not make me happier) and everything has been planned along those lines.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png