As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Space Alert owns. Like, a lot.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    admanb wrote: »
    I thought I did better, but I guess getting blocked out of every Captain phase took its toll.

Yeah, building 3 large buildings and placing fourth, really didn't see that coming. And I thought for sure I would do worse, with no large buildings, harbour or factory.

jakobagger on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dang, Earth Reborn looks REALLY interesting.

desc on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darian wrote: »
    We confused pr-game.com. It declared two winners for game 18.
    Winner of this game is Darian
    Winner of this game is Lykouragh

Darian total score is 40.
    Darian scores 0 VPs for large buildings.
    Darian scores 18 VPs for buildings.
    Darian scores 22 VPs with VP chits.
    antherem total score is 29.
    antherem scores 0 VPs for large buildings.
    antherem scores 17 VPs for buildings.
    antherem scores 12 VPs with VP chits.
    jakobagger total score is 33.
    jakobagger scores 0 VPs for large buildings.
    jakobagger scores 14 VPs for buildings.
    jakobagger scores 19 VPs with VP chits.
    admanb total score is 31.
    admanb scores 7 VPs for large buildings.
    admanb scores 20 VPs for buildings.
    admanb scores 4 VPs with VP chits.
    admanb scores 4 bonus VPs for 14 colonists vith Fortress.
    admanb receives 4 VPs for Fortress.
    admanb scores 3 VPs for 1Small and 1 Large production buildings with Guild Hall.
    admanb receives 3 VPs for Guild Hall.
    Lykouragh total score is 40.
    Lykouragh scores 7 VPs for large buildings.
    Lykouragh scores 22 VPs for buildings.
    Lykouragh scores 11 VPs with VP chits.
    Lykouragh scores 7 bonus VPs for 7 violet buildings vith City Hall.
    Lykouragh receives 7 VPs for City Hall.

Checking the rules:
    The player with the most victory points is the winner! If two or more
    players tie with the most VPs, the player with the most doubloons and
    goods together (1 good = 1 doubloon) is the winner.

We each have 2 doubloons and no trade goods, so I believe this is a true tie. Lykouragh had the game outright, but decided to settle (for potentially +1 VP from his residence) instead of taking mayor (to activate his residence for 6 VP). Guess he was hoping admanb would mayor for him, but he'd be getting fewer VP from the custom house and extra colonists than you would from the residence).

Good game, all!

Final board

Rawrgh! I counted wrong and I thought that in order to win I had to settle to get adman to Mayor for me.

GG in any case.

Lykouragh on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    but. but apples to apples is a Badgame.

But Goodfun. It is indeed a Paradox.

My solution is to play Dixit which has all of the fun of Apples to Apples but also includes a scoring system that isn't just arbitrary bullshit thus making Dixit an actual game.

The point of Apples to Apples is that the scoring is arbitrary bullshit, thus all us overcompetitive types have to learn to just enjoy time with our friends and the ridiculousness it offers. Nothing worse than people who try to argue winners or don't enjoy discussing the choices people made.

schuss on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    schuss wrote: »
    but. but apples to apples is a Badgame.

But Goodfun. It is indeed a Paradox.

My solution is to play Dixit which has all of the fun of Apples to Apples but also includes a scoring system that isn't just arbitrary bullshit thus making Dixit an actual game.

The point of Apples to Apples is that the scoring is arbitrary bullshit, thus all us overcompetitive types have to learn to just enjoy time with our friends and the ridiculousness it offers. Nothing worse than people who try to argue winners or don't enjoy discussing the choices people made.

I love Apples and am known to give points on my turn to the funniest, most non sequitur, card that is played. If I display "Honorable" and someone plays "Pineapple" they win. It certainly skirts the edge between fun activity and a true game - but that is just about expectations. If you start playing Apples knowing what it is rather then expecting something its not then you will have fun.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't really like it on any level, to be honest.

As far as competitiveness, or "playing to win", it's obviously one of the worst out there. You can try to come up with an interesting, funny, or clever answer, or one that seems to fit the judge, but it rarely matters. Often your nouns are shit and the judge will just pick some random wacky answer that required no thought at all.

As far as "fun with friends", which is what it's really all about, I don't think it's very good either. No one goes for accurate word play (Tall and Skyscraper for example), because that would be boring so everyone goes for "funny" or "witty" word matches. Except they're never actually funny or witty. Oh ho ho you matched up Anne Frank with some random adjective like hairy, hilarious! There are quite a few light hearted party games with provide tons more fun with friends than Apples to Apples.

Endaro on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Endaro wrote: »
    I don't really like it on any level, to be honest.

As far as competitiveness, or "playing to win", it's obviously one of the worst out there. You can try to come up with an interesting, funny, or clever answer, or one that seems to fit the judge, but it rarely matters. Often your nouns are shit and the judge will just pick some random wacky answer that required no thought at all.

As far as "fun with friends", which is what it's really all about, I don't think it's very good either. No one goes for accurate word play (Tall and Skyscraper for example), because that would be boring so everyone goes for "funny" or "witty" word matches. Except they're never actually funny or witty. Oh ho ho you matched up Anne Frank with some random adjective like hairy, hilarious! There are quite a few light hearted party games with provide tons more fun with friends than Apples to Apples.

EXAMPLES!

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We just drop to the basest humor possible. Custom cards also help a lot, as does culling the crappy green/red cards out. For example, we now have both a dead and alive babies card, as the original was too loosely interpreted. Also playing with 2 greens per round (word has to match both) makes it interesting. I'd say if you can't have fun or find things people play funny, get new friends or get a sense of humor.

schuss on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I ordered Small World, Merchants & Marauders, and Beytrayal At House On the Hill in October, and they showed up just recently due to M&M's delayed release.

Betrayal is fantastic.
    Small World is fun but Chaos In the seems better.
    M&M is hard to describe... I had fun but it's loooong, and seems kindof random via card draws. It's essentially a piracy/mercantile sim.

Also, for you Dominion fans~
    BOOM!

DGOONSQUERADE.jpg

fadingathedges on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you like Apples to Apples, just get a better group of friends and play Say Anything. The ability to create your own responses to questions is waaay better ,as long as you all aren't a bunch of limpfish.

In fact, someone should do a PbP of say anything. Just for the funnies.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Or just play eat poop you cat.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited January 2011
    Is there a good auto-deck doodad anywhere? I might consider running a Merchants & Marauders game but the card drawing would have to be automated for it to work.

fadingathedges on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    admanb has set up a site called "handtracker" that we've been using for CitOW, Android, Runewars, and Bushido. It's not fully-featured, yet, but it gets the job done. (Any Ruby on Rails programmers around with some free time to help out, contact admanb.)

Darian on
    edited January 2011
    I'm poking around in it right now, and it seems pretty cool... is this something that will let players draw cards without my interaction, or is it a deck tracker that will let me copypasta out what the deck gives them?

fadingathedges on
    edited January 2011
    As host, I add the players to the game and give them rights for the decks they need. The things they can do (with permission) are:
    * Shuffle a deck, which takes all played cards and the remaining cards in the deck and shuffles them together
    * Draw a card and immediately play it
    * Draw a card to their hand
    * Give a card to another player

Players are always able to play a card from their hand. In CitOW, I am the only one who can shuffle. Each player has the ability to draw cards to their hand from the appropriate deck, and I tell them in thread when they can do that and keep track of how many cards should be left in the deck to watch for problems. When they want to play a card, they click the "play" link from the handtracker, then post the corresponding action into the thread with the name of the card. No action needed from my part to make that happen.
    Played cards are public, visible to anyone. Actions when cards are drawn are visible only to the player who drew the card and to the host.

Darian on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Also, for you Dominion fans~
    BOOM!

DGOONSQUERADE.jpg

Oh Goons, you crazy mixed up game distorters you!

Someone did an analysis of all the serious games played on Isotropic. Goons formed an extreme outlier in terms of number of winning points a deck had if it had that card in it.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Say Anything and Time's Up are my choices for silly-fun games. I want to like Eat Poop You Cat but, my drawing skills are equal to the average three-year-old's. Trust me, it's not nearly as funny as it sounds.

So after acquiring Dominion: Intrigue over the holidays and, realizing that it's basically the best thing ever, I was thinking about picking up the base Dominion game as well. More specifically, I was thinking about buying this Amazon-Exclusive Dominion Big Box 2010 . Is this a crazy idea? Is Dominion any fun with more than four players?

Timmy on
  • MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey guys.

So, I just got Race for the Galaxy, and is wondering about the expansions. Are they any good, what do they add to the game and how do they affect the playing time?

Mago on
    Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    edited January 2011
    Timmy wrote: »
    So after acquiring Dominion: Intrigue over the holidays and, realizing that it's basically the best thing ever, I was thinking about picking up the base Dominion game as well. More specifically, I was thinking about buying this Amazon-Exclusive Dominion Big Box 2010 . Is this a crazy idea? Is Dominion any fun with more than four players?

Some pople insist Dominion 5 or 6 player is hideous and wrong and against nature's will.

I think it's perfectly fine, just like normal Dominion, and in all honesty gives me more time to shuffle before my go.

And even if it turns out that 5-6 player Dominion isn't your bag then you will still have the cards to let a 5 to 8 player group play multiple different games of Dominion simultaneously

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• brain operatorbrain operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is Dominion any fun with more than four players?
    It's still ok, but for me it definitely goes downhill. Two-player Diminion isn't much fun either, otherwise I'd insist on always splitting up if we go over 4. Still not a bad idea to get the expansions though , if you like the game, and with two playable sets you can split up easily.
    Mago wrote: »
    So, I just got Race for the Galaxy, and is wondering about the expansions. Are they any good, what do they add to the game and how do they affect the playing time?
    They're expensive for the few bits they add, but I do like them. It's more of the same, but also some extra options. Expansion 1 also allows solo play, the first two expansions add a player each as well. More players does mean more playing time (depending on the players, possibly significantly so).

The Gathering Storm adds goals, solitaire play, another player, and drafting rules.
    Rebel vs Imperium adds military takeovers and another player.
    The Brink of War adds prestige and search rules.

If I were you I'd get a few more games of vanilla RftG under my belt before adding expansions in any case, just so you have the base game down pat first, but I do recommend all of them.

brain operator on
  • MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks brain operator! I'll hold off a bit on the expansions, but The Gathering Storm seems interesting. I'll have to check it out later on.

Mago on
    Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    edited January 2011
    You don't need another copy of Intrigue to try out 5-8 player Dominion, though; you just need to pick up the base set.

Darian on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mago wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I would say the first two are essential. The range of cards (especially starting worlds) and the goal options really flesh out the game and make more strategies possible.

The last, Brink of War, is excellent but is definetly an "experts only" set. Especially because of prestige and the search cards games with brink of war are even more dependant on skill and playing off your opponents than ever. And the point swings can be huge.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    lazegamer wrote: »
    Got to play my first two rounds of Dominion base game this weekend. Having started with Thunderstone, I can see that it's clearly derivative in so many ways. That said, I had a lot of fun exploring the new cards and look forward to trying out some of the myriad expansions. I still recommend Thunderstone over Dominion if someone were only able to purchase one or the other, but both are worth owning.

I’m the opposite, Dominion over Thunderstone. I really like that Thunderstone provides some theme but Dominion seems to me to be better tuned and a much better game. However, for my group Thunderstone may be a better game because the low level of deck cycling works better due to having a ridiculously slow player.

I don’t even like four player so I would probably want to punch someone if I had to play with more than four. One of the best things about Dominion is its speed in between turns. Due to the nature of the game there isn’t much strategizing to do during other players turns so the game can get painful with too many players. If you own Intrigue I would highly recommend picking up the base game to add more variety and to provide simpler cards if introducing the game to new players.

Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys!

This is a link to a H/A thread about a guy who found his pops treasure trove of games and is now selling them.

Here is his collection. Mostly 70s-80s wargames it looks like. send him a message on the geek or here on PM if you see something you like.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • GaebrilGaebril Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Buying the Dominion expansions (all of them!) is an excellent idea, even if you never play with more than four players.

Personally 5 players is still okay but at 6 you can just split into two groups.

Gaebril on
  • JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How does 5 player setup work? I assume you need 2 copies of the core game (Base/Intrigue).

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
    edited January 2011
    Woot. My copies of Puzzle Strike and Yomi have both arrived.

Suddenly I don't want to spend all of Friday night playing Dominant Species after all...

Dracil on
    edited January 2011
    Jacoby wrote: »
    How does 5 player setup work? I assume you need 2 copies of the core game (Base/Intrigue).

You add 3 VP cards to the Duchy and Provinces piles, games end condition changed for 3 to 4 piles depleted (or Provinces as normal)

Alistair Hutton on

• JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You could probably do that with the blank cards they add! I did have some people wanting to do a 5 player game, but I heard it doesn't work that well. Good to see there's some support for it.

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the Dominion advice, gang! Though, I may have found a fatal flaw in my plan of purchasing the Big Box: it might be too big for my game bag.

Timmy on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If anyone's interested, we could really use a replacement player in the Dune game. We're only about to begin turn 2, and the rules aren't especially complicated. Features include area control, fighting (combination of secret bidding, cards and leaders of varying strength.), bluffing, variable player powers, alliances, resource gathering and management. The new player will be playing the part of Paul Atreides aka Muad'Dib.

jakobagger on
  • NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the Dominion advice, gang! Though, I may have found a fatal flaw in my plan of purchasing the Big Box: it might be too big for my game bag.

Use those card boxes that you see CCG players carting around. I fit the base and Intrigue in a large one. If they weren't sleeved I could probably fit some expansions in as well. You may want to make some dividers so you can still setup quickly but it saves a ton of space for transporting.

Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    Newblar wrote: »

Use those card boxes that you see CCG players carting around. I fit the base and Intrigue in a large one. If they weren't sleeved I could probably fit some expansions in as well. You may want to make some dividers so you can still setup quickly but it saves a ton of space for transporting.
    This goes for any Big Box version (and games with expansions in general). I have every expansion of Carcassonne (yes, even the asinine catapult) and with a bit of care everything fits in the base box, bagged, tagged and sorted. I keep all my games' boxes, but if at all possible all expansions are put in the base game's box. Saves space on my shelves and is much more convenient to take with me when gaming elsewhere.

brain operator on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone know of any card sleeves dominion cards would fit in? I know FantasyFlight has standard american size cards that look like they might fit dominion cards.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      edited January 2011
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Anyone know of any card sleeves dominion cards would fit in? I know FantasyFlight has standard american size cards that look like they might fit dominion cards.
      You want 92 MM X 59 MM (MM = millimeter) sleeves. Mayday Games produces them. No idea if there are other companies who make similar-sized card sleeves.

brain operator on
    • GaebrilGaebril Registered User regular
      edited January 2011
      For FFG sleeves you need the Standard Euro size - the purple label. You do pay more for FFG, but it's really good quality stuff.

Gaebril on
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      edited January 2011
      Thank you, good sirs. I'll have to see what the FLGS has.

TimFiji on
      Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
        edited January 2011
        Crap on a crap cracker, that reminds me that I need to find some more of the small sleeves for Exodus for the skill cards. Know I had a extra pack of them around here somewhere, not sure where I left them.

Found a pack of the American Board Game-sized green FFG ones, and the standard card-game sized solid-colored ones, I know I have a pack of the yellows around here...

PMAvers on
        persona4celestia.jpg
        COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
        edited January 2011
        Regarding FFG sleeves:

1. Do not buy FFG sleeves from Amazon (unless sold by a 3rd party). Total price scam/rip-off. MSRP is $2.99. Amazon lists it as $6.99 and gives you a $0.24 discount.

2. FFG sleeves are the thickest ones you can get (100microns vs. Mayday's 40 for standard and 90 for premium) and are oversized, especially lengthwise (this is why their American Size corresponds to Chimaera size for Mayday Games).

3. Different packs can have length variations of 1mm. I usually try to buy a bunch at once so I can mix and match and make sure the lengths are the same for the same set of cards.

Dracil on
      This discussion has been closed.