As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: Zerg Harder

• iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yggdrasill wrote: »
    oh, no sorry i dont.
    i use old-fashioned text

You Amish or something?

Channel PA.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would play, but I have to be out the door to get to work in half an hour.
    Maybe tonight. We will see.

Trexy on
    edited May 2007
    Trexy wrote: »
    I would play, but I have to be out the door to get to work in half an hour.
    Maybe tonight. We will see.

I will lose in a half an hour.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    edited May 2007
    By out the door I mean I have to get dressed, shave, and locate my wallet.
    Before 4:00.

Trexy on
    edited May 2007
    So far I have managed to hold my penis while looking at the internet.
    Good start.

Trexy on
    edited May 2007
    So far I have managed to hold my penis while looking at the internet.
    Good start.

Its 2:37 here. Tell your boss you thought you lived in Wisconsin. They'll understand.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ventrillo. Wanna play defender? Were no where near your caliber, I'm sure.... but meh, a game is a game.

EDIT: I bet you'll play some tonight.

Yeah, I'm probably more in-practice than most of you guys since I still play regularly. But it's cool, I can still play or observe or whatever.

Oh hey, something I wanted to say last night: Base structure MATTERS. If you get attacked, you can achieve much better results by shaping your base properly. Here's an example:
    Human base
    B = Barracks (barracks are big, that's why they're in 3x3 clusters)
    T = Tower
    F = Farm

.....BBB
    T....BBB
    .....BBB
    ......FF
    T.....FF
    ......FF
    .....BBB
    .....BBB
    .....BBB
    <tree line>

What's wrong with this picture? The towers are easy to surround and can't fire very far past the farms and barracks. Try this instead:
    Human base
    B = Barracks (barracks are big, that's why they're in 3x3 clusters)
    T = Tower
    F = Farm

....FBBB
    .....BBB
    .....BBB
    .....FTF
    .......F
    .....FTF
    .....BBB
    .....BBB
    .....BBB
    <tree line>

That's the same number and type of buildings, but look at the towers. They cover each other better. They cover the barracks and farms better. And they're hard as hell to attack with melee because you have to run all the way around the back, and even when you do, you can only fit one or two guys into the narrow gap between farms to hit the towers. The only other way in is to hit the farms, which sucks because it takes forever, and the AI will not auto-attack farms on attack-move if there are towers (towers outprioritize farms), so an auto-attacking army will spend forever bumping into each other to get around the farm lines while your towers fire on them. A structure like this is a real bitch to attack, yet it's exactly the same in terms of number and type of buildings.

There are different structures that work best for each race, but this is just an example of what works nicely for humans.

Defender on
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can play again tonight.

Strato on
    edited May 2007
    You can get archers much faster then riffles. Supplement your army with dryads/fairy dragons if they add casters. If they have siege as well, you will have the most difficulty. Humans have a very powerful tier 2. Your best bet at that point is to try and get to dryads/bears.

Yeah, you basically can just go fuck yourself if they get mortars and rifles. A few talons in support of a bear army is helpful. A few dryads generally can kind of deter them from making gryphon riders. The problem is that mortars with frag shards will fuck up unarmored AND medium, so even your archers are useless when they get that.

EDIT: To make it clear, your talons have about a five-second life expectancy, but you should be able to get faerie fire on a bunch of rifles to help the bears tear through faster. If you can, get them upgraded all the way; after Master training, they can learn Mark of the Talon, which allows them to cast their initiate spell (Faerie Fire) while in their animal form. This is great because, although the rifles can still hit them, they'll have more hit points, they can actually use the "Hides" armor upgrades, and they cannot be hit by mortars. You can cast Faerie Fire from the air, then run.

Defender on
  • YggdrasillYggdrasill Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Defender, what's your rec?

Yggdrasill on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    You can get archers much faster then riffles. Supplement your army with dryads/fairy dragons if they add casters. If they have siege as well, you will have the most difficulty. Humans have a very powerful tier 2. Your best bet at that point is to try and get to dryads/bears.

Yeah, you basically can just go fuck yourself if they get mortars and rifles. A few talons in support of a bear army is helpful. A few dryads generally can kind of deter them from making gryphon riders. The problem is that mortars with frag shards will fuck up unarmored AND medium, so even your archers are useless when they get that.

Hey, sounds like what happened to me last night!

I didn't fare too well with hipp riders either.

Strato on
    edited May 2007
    Yggdrasill wrote: »
    Defender, what's your rec?

I'm usually at around 50-53 percent win. I'm currently ranked in the high 200s or low 300s in 2v2 AT with Musashi. The best I've ever been ranked has been like 80 or 90. This is on USEast or Azeroth or whatever.

It seems that percentage is kind of meaningless, though. Only really awesome or really shitty players seem to have records that are not between 40 and 60 percent win (FFA excluded since obviously FFA has a lower win rate) if they've played like 100 or more games. Basically the way it goes is we win a bunch, we get closer and closer matches, then we get raped in the face a couple times and BNet starts matching us with complete noobs. Then we do some face-raping, and BNet starts giving us better people, and the cycle repeats. The matchmaking system is pretty good.

Defender on
    edited May 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    Defender wrote: »

Hey, sounds like what happened to me last night!

I didn't fare too well with hipp riders either.

Hyppo riders are real special-situation kind of unit. Like, moreso than the rest of the race. The best thing for them is that you can pull shit like dismounting when a fight starts. Bats are charging you, you mass dismount, and all the bats break their target lock (because dismount TECHNICALLY removes the hyppo rider and then spawns a hyppo and an archer, so technically the bat's target has disappeared), and then the bats auto-attack the archers and get shot and clawed. Really fucks up their micro, and it's not hard for you to do. On the other side, I once had a guy just ramming my butt with bloodlusted tauren and healing wards. I had archers. Three Ancients of Wind down, pumped out birdies, and pretended that I was still all-archers. He makes his big attack, then BOOM MOUNT UP and everything's out of the fight. I can rain down arrows all over his casters and fire on his melee with impunity. The trick is that the second you do that, he starts putting up bestiaries to make bats, so you gotta run his shit down at once. If he didn't get reinforced defenses and didn't make a zillion towers, you can shred his food supply really fast with focus-fire and then he won't be able to get back on his feet.

Defender on
    edited May 2007
    I can play right now, but as I found out, I cant host OR start an arranged team. I'm trying to fix it, but I'm not exactly sure what to fix...

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd be down to play again later tonight. I kinda wanna 1v1 Trexy; you were a thorn in my side during the few games we played.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I heard rumors of a fourth race.

Blizzard stated in an interview that there would only be 3 races in the game.

Dadouw on
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey Defender, who'd you get that high rank with?

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    You guys.

Rise of Legends is really good.

You should try it out.

I was turned off by the mediocre reviews, but on the retronauts podcast devoted to Starcraft (in honor of the announcement), many of the hosts said RoL is pretty fucking fantastic in a starcraft sort of way, despite the moderate criticism.

I bought it today at a local game shop, and I'm having quite a bit of fun.

Dangerou-Dave on
    edited May 2007

Agreed.

Dadouw on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dadouw wrote: »

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    Fallout wrote: »

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Yeah I know, but they did lied to us when they said they were not working on SC2, so they might be lying again. Though a 4th race would be funky. Like, xel'nagas? These guys seems too powerful to be implanted in the game.

Dadouw on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Yeah I know, but they did lied to us when they said they were not working on SC2, so they might be lying again. Though a 4th race would be funky. Like, xel'nagas? These guys seems too powerful to be implanted in the game.

(necrons)

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

When did Blizz come right out and say "We are not working on SC2."? I thought they were usually just dubious and said they couldn't talk about their newest projects.

Dangerou-Dave on
    edited May 2007
    You guys.

You should try it out.

I was turned off by the mediocre reviews, but on the retronauts podcast devoted to Starcraft (in honor of the announcement), many of the hosts said RoL is pretty fucking fantastic in a starcraft sort of way, despite the moderate criticism.

I bought it today at a local game shop, and I'm having quite a bit of fun.

I have the game, I didn't think anyone else did. I worked on it as a tester actually.

Indeed it is actually a really cool game. I plugged it to everyone I knew but found no interest. My friends are all busy wasting their lives away on WoW.
    Big Huge Games is in Timonium, MD. :|

Strato on
    edited May 2007
    RedTide wrote: »
    Hey Defender, who'd you get that high rank with?

;-)

So, you gonna be around tonight?

Defender on
    edited May 2007
    I can play right now, but as I found out, I cant host OR start an arranged team. I'm trying to fix it, but I'm not exactly sure what to fix...

http://192.168.0.1

Unblock the port that WC3 uses (most gaming routers have a bunch of games listed)

Alternately, put your computer in the DMZ. You can find the IP of your computer by typing "ipconfig" at the command prompt (Start --> Run --> cmd).

Defender on
    edited May 2007
    isn't putting it on DMZ kinda overkill

ps oh hey, the Battle Chest is only $35 on Amazon. I can do that.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    isn't putting it on DMZ kinda overkill

ps oh hey, the Battle Chest is only $35 on Amazon. I can do that.

It is, but it can work.

Defender on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Holy fuck. I decided to check out the Rise of Nations demo based on your opinions and christ, 725 MB.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2007
    ...wow

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    Seriously, I feel like I'm patching WoW.
    *rimshot*

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2007
    lolololololo

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    It doesn't help that gamespot's server is only giving me about 10 KB/s.

Huh, I found the demo on filefront and not only am I getting considerably more bw from them but the file is also only 620 MB.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Hey uh when are we playing tonight? I'm thinking like 11 PM EST.

Defender on
    edited May 2007
    I’m going to go for a run, before it gets tooooooo dark, then I’ll be willing to play anytime.

t tossrock – Yeah, my micro has degraded over time, but I still remember how to be a dick throughout the entire game.

Trexy on
    edited May 2007
    11 works. I'll watch Pan's Labyrinth and it should finish then

I just finished that 30 minute defense in SC

I was disappointed that no zerg got into my base to meet the 50 soldiers waiting for them in the center of 100 mines.

Strato on
    edited May 2007
    Druhim wrote: »

Huh, I found the demo on filefront and not only am I getting considerably more bw from them but the file is also only 620 MB.

I remember that demo

That was the one people hacked to unlock the third race and basically have the entire version of the game for free

So I guess that's why it's so big

Strato on
    edited May 2007

That is very weird.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    11 works. I'll watch Pan's Labyrinth and it should finish then

I just finished that 30 minute defense in SC

I was disappointed that no zerg got into my base to meet the 50 soldiers waiting for them in the center of 100 mines.

Haha, I know how you feel. I set up these great defenses and... nothing they send can hold a candle to them. I should try wiping out the zerg before the time is up sometime.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    Holy fuck. I decided to check out the Rise of Nations demo based on your opinions and christ, 725 MB.

Welcome to 2005.

Ohoho

Edit: Sorry...

Edit: Wait, if the demo is anything the original Rise of Nations demo, it should rock pretty hard. The demo for RoN gave you a few different races, and a quick battle mode with nothing restricted. I mean, I've bought RTS' and played nothing but the quick battle mode. It was a pretty dandy deal.

Dangerou-Dave on