As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spaceships Are Still Over Los Angeles

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Still looking pretty good

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yesssssssss

Weaver on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Still looking pretty great.

Although, I would have liked "The Battle of Los Angeles" more than "BATTLE: LOS ANGELES IN BOLD FONT YEAH"

NotASenator on
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eh.

Still not convinced enough to see it sight unseen. Slightly more receptive to seeing it after people see it and confirm it doesn't suck. The theatrical trailer leads me to believe there's way too much buildup for a concept that doesn't warrant much explanation

And, this is just a personal peeve

I am sick and tired of aliens invading us because they want our resources. Couldn't they invade us for a slightly off kilter reason once in a while, like, I dunno

Humans must die because their culture is awful and they wont stop fucking broadcasting their cricket games across the galaxy and our race is highly sensitive to radio transmissions

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
    edited January 2011

Although, I would have liked "The Battle of Los Angeles" more than "BATTLE: LOS ANGELES IN BOLD FONT YEAH"

That would be problematic since it refers to an event that happens before the movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How the hell would you see a movie in any way except sight unseen

Grey Ghost on
    edited January 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    How the hell would you see a movie in any way except sight unseen

After seeing a review?

Gotta admit that it doesn't help that I already know the ending because the US Army helped make it.

Zoel on
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well we don't really know if they're going straight for resources. I mean that's just one guy's line in the trailer. Also it's the most believable reason so I am perfectly fine with it.

Plus I'm pretty sure the US military always contributes in some way when you make a film depicting their troops so...

Gatsby on
    edited January 2011
    Nah they refuse if the military is shown in any sort of negative light

Which basically means they refuse if anyone breaks protocol or has any sort of ethical lapse whatsoever, and generally they don't help you if the united states loses unless you're documenting an actual historical battle where the united states lost.

Zoel on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zoel wrote: »

That would be problematic since it refers to an event that happens before the movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles

that might actually work, though.

they could say whatever that this was
    was a like, scout ship or something I don't know.

Depressperado on
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Which basically means they refuse if anyone breaks protocol or has any sort of ethical lapse whatsoever, and generally they don't help you if the united states loses unless you're documenting an actual historical battle where the united states lost.

Ah fair enough

well even so, if this is a well made action film about an alien invasion with a semi-predictable plot then I'm still all up for it. Really the description of Independence Day meets Black Hawk Down is enough to make me go see this.

Gatsby on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man this comes out alongside Crysis 2, is nobody else getting crysis 2 vibes from the aliens?

Prohass on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Anything over 30% on RottenTomatoes means I'm seeing this in theaters

the visuals look extremely nice

Centipede Damascus on
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This comes out one day before my B-day.

I think I know what I am doing on that day.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

And then the whole movie has a RATM soundtrack

I could get behind this

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

How do you explain The Hurt Locker then?

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »

Did The Hurt Locker have support from the US military?

This is a question I don't know the answer to.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Houk wrote: »

Looks like they yanked it away.
    Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said the film is “authentic” and “very compelling”, He has recommended it to his staff. But the government says it pulled its “Hurt Locker” production assistance at the last minute in 2007, saying that the film’s makers were shooting scenes that weren’t in the screenplay submitted to the Defense Department, including a sequence that the government believed portrayed troops unflatteringly. The film’s producers dispute elements of the account.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/03/10/oscar-winner-the-hurt-locker-sparks-debate-among-veterans/

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    guys, darkness falls was sweet.

Definitely in my top 10 x-files.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »

Looks like they yanked it away.
    Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said the film is “authentic” and “very compelling”, He has recommended it to his staff. But the government says it pulled its “Hurt Locker” production assistance at the last minute in 2007, saying that the film’s makers were shooting scenes that weren’t in the screenplay submitted to the Defense Department, including a sequence that the government believed portrayed troops unflatteringly. The film’s producers dispute elements of the account.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/03/10/oscar-winner-the-hurt-locker-sparks-debate-among-veterans/

There were some really bizarre inaccuracies in that movie. A single humvee being a "patrol" and the fact that a .50 caliber rifle jammed because of blood or whatever the fuck.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Interestingly enough, I just read an account of blood jamming weapons in Afghanistan.

Well technically the mortar mix that forms when you combine blood and good ol desert dust

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I figured it wasn't just the blood but sand and dust sticking to it

Grey Ghost on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fox is making a Missile Command movie

This reminds me of what ol' James Cameron said this week about the Battleship movie
    We have a story crisis. Now they want to make a movie from the game Battleship! This is pure desperation, because now the business is governed by the sequel, or what we call it: the franchise. This means turning something already successful into a sequel, because everyone in Hollywood knows how important it is that the movie, before it comes into the cinemas, is already a brand. If the brand has been around, Harry Potter“for example, or Spider-Man, you are light years ahead. And there lies the problem, because unfortunately these brands are always ridiculous. Battleship! This degrades the cinema.

DrIanMalcolm on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    he is in no position to say that

Antimatter on
    edited January 2011
    I forgot that Cameron has signed on to direct two Avatar sequels already

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As long as the movie Clue exists, all future board game movies get the benefit of the doubt

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited January 2011
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey so looks like the next Bond movie is finally back on track

Fuck

Yes

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    edited January 2011
    With Sam Mendes! Should be interesting. I hope rumors from last year of Rachel Weisz being the villain and head of QUANTUM turn out to be true

DrIanMalcolm on
    edited January 2011

This reminds me of what ol' James Cameron said this week about the Battleship movie
    We have a story crisis. Now they want to make a movie from the game Battleship! This is pure desperation, because now the business is governed by the sequel, or what we call it: the franchise. This means turning something already successful into a sequel, because everyone in Hollywood knows how important it is that the movie, before it comes into the cinemas, is already a brand. If the brand has been around, Harry Potter“for example, or Spider-Man, you are light years ahead. And there lies the problem, because unfortunately these brands are always ridiculous. Battleship! This degrades the cinema.

Remember when he made good movies?

Samir Duran Duran on
    edited January 2011

How many bad movies has he made?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited January 2011

Woah hey Spider-Man was a good movie what the fuck James

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    edited January 2011

Titanic and Avatar off the top of my head, but before he made those he made terminator and aliens.

Samir Duran Duran on
    edited January 2011
    Veretas wrote: »

Woah hey Spider-Man was a good movie what the fuck James

James was just pissed he didn't get to make his version
    ON TOP OF THE BRIDGE TOWER. Hold a beat. We hear screams approaching. Spidey appears and sets her on terra firma. She clings to him, looking down and around in wonder. He has put the world at her feet. She can't believe this is happening to her.

In a dizzying down-angle we see how the suspension cables all meet radially at the top of the tower... like the treads of some vast spider web. Peter and MJ seem to sit at the very center of the web, surrounded by the lights of the city. It is a warm spring night. And the moment is pure magic.

She stands with her back against a girder, needing to feel something solid. Spider Man stands before her, a perfectly formed male silhouette with a soothing low voice.
    SPIDER MAN
    Courtship among the spiders is highly ritualized. It varies from species to species. The male spider may circle the female, or wave his front legs... to signal that he is not prey.

Spider Man moves in a hypnotic arc around her. He raises his hands in a dance-like movement. Lowers them.
    SPIDER MAN
    The female usually signals her willingness by an uncharacteristic passivity.

MJ takes a deep breath. Her lip trembles. Her knees are weak. Her eyes, though, are steady, gazing at the silhouette before her. She doesn't move or speak. He moves closer.
    SPIDER MAN
    In certain crab spiders, such as Xysticus, the male will attach strands of silk to the female... tying her limbs...

Spider Man moves his hand gracefully across her, and she sees the sheerest silk webbing glinting in the moonlight. First one wrist. Then the other. Hypnotic movement in the moonlight. Her arms are bound to the wall. Her breathing gets more rapid.
    SPIDER MAN
    Since the female can break free at any time, the bonds have only symbolic significance.

MARY JANE
    The male must be very bold... to take such liberties with the predatory female.
    SPIDER MAN
    Yes. He is very bold. But he must also trust her.
    (he moves very close)
    Close your eyes.

He removes his mask and kisses her. Their mouths very slowly and very sensuously devour each other. Peter and MJ are locked together. He is mesmerizing, gentle, powerful. He pushes up her skirt. They make love, high above the world. She doesn't look.

DrIanMalcolm on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

In the time I have been alive James Cameron has not made a good movie

so, no

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Avatar and Titanic aren't bad movies.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited January 2011
    Holy shit that is the worst fucking thing

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Avatar and Titanic aren't bad movies.
    I haven't seen Titanic but I'd contest Avatar there

Antimatter on
    edited January 2011

Titanic and Avatar off the top of my head, but before he made those he made terminator and aliens.

Those two movies aren't bad.

Sappy and formulaic but not bad.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Please tell me that script is an actual thing

Green on