As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

COD BLOPS: Emblem collage in OP, post your emblem for the next one!

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    True. Sadly the shotguns are less effective (his SPAS stuff was the best) and I've literally only come across TI boosters once.

Yup, scanning through his comments it seems like the weaker shotguns and non-stacking killstreaks are the main reasons he doesn't play anymore. I know it's been said in this thread before, but both nerfing the shotguns to hell AND making them primaries was the wrong move. Should have picked one or the other.

Regarding the AK74u, picking through Vonderhaar's Twitter it seems that in addition to nerfing the grip, they are also toying with the idea of also shortening both starting and Ext Mags ammo count. IMO it seems like the real issue with the 74u is that it has the most predictable recoil, which is coupled with its very good damage over range characteristic (also why does the 74u, which has an 8" barrel and fires an assault rifle round, have the exact same damage stats as the MP5K which has half the barrel length and uses 9x19mm ammunition?).

This is of course ignoring the fact that the AK74u should never have been listed as an SMG in the first place.

In real life, the AK74u is used in place of submachineguns. It is a submachinegun sized rifle. It shoots a round similar to the .223 round used in the M16/car(commando) and many other guns. It is a cool gun, but this is why it has problems in multiplayer videogames.

DouglasDanger on
    edited January 2011
    Magell wrote: »
    Musicool wrote: »
    A friend and I were debating Ghost while having a few games tonight. He thought it wasn't a problem; I disagreed. Then, as if on cue, the next few games are filled with Ghost. At one point UAVs only showed us one guy from a team of 6. It wasn't always that bad, but by the end he was agreeing with me.

When it's a team of people who use it as a crutch throwing on your own Ghost class will get you out of a jam. I did that last night where I was struggling with my fun classes against a bunch of camping ghosts so I went Ghost suppressed 74u and fucked those guys going 26-10 at the end. I get great enjoyment out of killing Ghost users and shit talking them afterward. Not even in the lobby where they can hear, just to my team or myself.

I run Ghost on a couple of my load outs. It makes it easier to kill aircraft.

And it is in the game, and people are using it, so I consider it part of the game and just deal with it.

The "solution" to Ghost is to stop relying on your radar.

The "solution" to Second Chance is to engage enemies from a distance. Yeah, it does get screwy with lag, but so do a lot of things.

DouglasDanger on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Some people love to bitch instead of just not playing the game anymore.

joshgotro on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

How big's the 360 community right now (general and PA)? Does it look like it'll last?

Don't want to derail, but it's the burning issue keeping me from buying AC:B.

The community is big (general and PA) but getting into games (matchmaking) is still a problem. Really makes you appreciate the smoothness of BLOPS.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The only thing wrong with ghost is that it doesnt hide you from killstreaks from the get-go.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited January 2011
    joshgotro wrote: »

The other solution is to stop being a bitch. Hell, a lot of the people bitching are really good at the game!

Deal with it!

DouglasDanger on
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Dover: I read your thread, the game is still getting traded. I'm not into slow, stealthy games with floaty controls. I play FPS/arcade-style racing games almost exclusively because anything else just bores me. You have no idea how many people can't believe I hate the Final Fantasy franchise.

Anyone hopping on for Blops this morning/afternoon? I'm debating whether to put AC's credit towards Bulletstorm or CoD4.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah, I mean, I used UAV Jammer and Dead Silence in COD4 as a crutch because I'm primarily a support player/objective bitch.

You guys would've hated me in MW2. Cold-blooded Pro, Bling Pro, and Ninja Pro with a silenced AK-47 with heartbeat sensor and silenced akimbo Rafficas. I took great delight in pissing people off with that build and directing traffic using my HBS to help my teammates get the drop on people.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In real life, the AK74u is used in place of submachineguns. It is a submachinegun sized rifle. It shoots a round similar to the .223 round used in the M16/car(commando) and many other guns. It is a cool gun, but this is why it has problems in multiplayer videogames.

Yes, like I said it fires an assault rifle round. It's a carbine, not a subgun, and at least in the Russian military is used in the same manner the US military developed the M4 carbine for (special forces, vehicle crews, airborne infantry). You're correct that it is used to supplant subguns in certain instances, but it is largely used to augment them, not replace them. For example on urban ops in FSB strike teams, one or two guys will carry 74u's or Grozas and the rest of the team will be outfitted with submachine guns.

Anyway this doesn't really effect anything in the game aside from annoy gun nerds, the bigger round the AK-74u fires still has the exact same damage stats as the MP5K.

slurpeekilla on
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chasm wrote: »

Yeah, I mean, I used UAV Jammer and Dead Silence in COD4 as a crutch because I'm primarily a support player/objective bitch.

You guys would've hated me in MW2. Cold-blooded Pro, Bling Pro, and Ninja Pro with a silenced AK-47 with heartbeat sensor and silenced akimbo Rafficas. I took great delight in pissing people off with that build and directing traffic using my HBS to help my teammates get the drop on people.

I have no problem with that build. Ninja countered HBS. To silence your weapons you suffered faster damage drop-off. And to take CB you sacrificed the best perk in the game: SP. Sure you were a stealth ninja, but your class was built so that you had to be: in a fair fight against an equally good player you would have been slaughtered. Ghost isn't a sacrifice like CB was.

Edit: And I also wouldn't have minded because you would have been the exception. One Ghost player in a match is fine. Two, maybe when I'm in the mood. Three? Bugger off.
    You can't watch all the angles that many Ghost players could be coming from.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, true. I mean, I usually could take someone one-on-one just due to the element of surprise, but if I encountered three people or more, I was completely fucked.

I use Ghost on one class in Blops, but I rarely encounter anyone running it. And the ones who do usually aren't running a silenced weapon.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, I really want to move on from the Ak-74 for my SMG build, but I dont want to spend a fortune trying out every damn gun in the list until if find something I like. Anyone care to recomend me something good? I tend to lean towards accuracy first then rate of fire on SMG's.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    edited January 2011
    Spectre.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hibernus wrote: »
    How Hardcore was born.
    166835_122334741168389_100001755911126_148260_5905507_n.jpg

add a circle for sitting down while you pee

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spectre.

Or MPL.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I have no problem with that build. Ninja countered HBS. To silence your weapons you suffered faster damage drop-off. And to take CB you sacrificed the best perk in the game: SP. Sure you were a stealth ninja, but your class was built so that you had to be: in a fair fight against an equally good player you would have been slaughtered. Ghost isn't a sacrifice like CB was.

Edit: And I also wouldn't have minded because you would have been the exception. One Ghost player in a match is fine. Two, maybe when I'm in the mood. Three? Bugger off.
    You can't watch all the angles that many Ghost players could be coming from.

No. Heartbeat sensor is still bullshit since it forces you into using one perk, that one perk not being the extremely overpowered SitRep Pro.

Burtletoy on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The other solution is to stop being a bitch. Hell, a lot of the people bitching are really good at the game!

Deal with it!

I admire your views and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2011
    [strike]Spectre[/strike]

[strike]Or MPL.[/strike]

Mac-11

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2011
    Basically as long as you don't use an MP5 you are probably doing something right.

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2011
    Except fuck the uzi

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
    edited January 2011
    There is an Uzi in this game?

Okay, yeah, Uzi Scorpian and Mp5 all suck. Scorpian sucks most, Uzi second most and MP5 sucks the least most.

Burtletoy on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Okay, yeah, Uzi Scorpian and Mp5 all suck. Scorpian sucks most , Uzi second most and MP5 sucks the least most.

This is Brutle, being wrong again now about Skorpions!

Akimbo those things and run Steady Aim with Lightweight. They're not meant for sniping people and you'll lose a AR fight out in the open, but if you're trying to win those kinds of matchups with an SMG regularly you're probably doing it wrong. Get them close and they're deadly as hell.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

Okay, yeah, Uzi Scorpian and Mp5 all suck. Scorpian sucks most , Uzi second most and MP5 sucks the least most.

Akimbo those things and run Steady Aim with Lightweight. They're not meant for sniping people and you'll lose a AR fight out in the open, but if you're trying to win those kinds of matchups with an SMG regularly you're probably doing it wrong. Get them close and they're deadly as hell.
    This is why I dislike running around with shotguns in this game. I lose any battles that aren't within 10'. I know the Skorpion has better range than the darn shotguns, but still. Akimbo? You crazy, Vyngaard.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited January 2011

Yes, like I said it fires an assault rifle round. It's a carbine, not a subgun, and at least in the Russian military is used in the same manner the US military developed the M4 carbine for (special forces, vehicle crews, airborne infantry). You're correct that it is used to supplant subguns in certain instances, but it is largely used to augment them, not replace them. For example on urban ops in FSB strike teams, one or two guys will carry 74u's or Grozas and the rest of the team will be outfitted with submachine guns.

Anyway this doesn't really effect anything in the game aside from annoy gun nerds, the bigger round the AK-74u fires still has the exact same damage stats as the MP5K.

I would have made the AK47 available early on and maybe had the ak74u as the last smg. Adding grip would give a stock, the same as the Scorpion and Uzi.

I don't know how they will fix it without nerfing it. Maybe reduce its range.

I know want to make a clan tag DEAL or maybe make a deal with it emblem. Tiger with sunglasses? Skull with sunglasses? Maybe just a stack of sunglasses?

DouglasDanger on
  • Lt Muffin360Lt Muffin360 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

This is why I dislike running around with shotguns in this game. I lose any battles that aren't within 10'. I know the Skorpion has better range than the darn shotguns, but still. Akimbo? You crazy, Vyngaard.

My question there is why are you getting into a battle with a shotgun at more than 10'? The Skorpion is awesome. It is just horribly under appreciated. A great gun? No, but it will give you a good game and make that fun as well. Can't ask for much more.

Burtle: Stop hating the MP5 and use it. It is a great gun. Stop hating everything that as slightly more kick than off balance washing machine or requires more than two bullets to put someone down.

Lt Muffin360 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Not so crazy as you might think! The Skorpion when used akimbo pours out very high damage at close range and there's a sweet spot in the fields of fire between the two guns that can almost ensure a headshot. The only problem that is constant (outside of the obvious range issue) is that you'll run out of bullets rather quickly. Learning to balance the use of that sweet spot effectively is absolutely critical to surviving against multiple opponents, because if you haven't managed to kill the first two with initial bursts, you're going to be looking at two very nice but empty guns.

This is where having a single scoped python is handy. Taking advantage of steady aim to fan it unsighted against surprise attacks or while aiming in to snipe targets who you get the drop on but are outside of your Skorpions' range works well too.

Until you unlock the crossbow, but that's a glorious device in and of itself. <3 Xbow.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually tried the akimbo Skorps a couple of prestiges back and they fuck people up. If I see Vyn's I grab them off his corpse.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    edited January 2011
    Burtle: Stop hating the MP5 and use it. It is a great gun. Stop hating everything that as slightly more kick than off balance washing machine or requires more than two bullets to put someone down.

I don't hate the MP5. It is just, objectivly, worse than other guns. And I pointed this out.

It is a starting weapon. I have used it numerous times.

Then I switch to something good.

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2011

Which is fine and dandy, but all SMG's are amazing at close range, and some can even snipe. Like the MAC11, 74u, or MPL.

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2011
    Which is fine and dandy, but all SMG's are amazing at close range, and some can even snipe. Like the MAC11, 74u, or MPL.

Or the Spectre, Kiparis, PM63 and maybe a couple others I am forgetting. Here though I will give you that you can't snipe with the MP5. Great gun but it does kick to much to snipe with. And in case you think I am hating on things you like, WRONG! Nothing better than running around with a MAC11. Warms my heart and soul. Same goes for the Olympia too. Those guns just look like they don't stand a chance. Then you kill someone with it. *Insert giggly noise here*

Lt Muffin360 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    AC:B got me CoD4, SF4, and $14 towards Bulletstorm. I'd say I got a fair trade.

sPider817 on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All this CoD4 talk. How much was it?

joshgotro on
    edited January 2011
    All this CoD4 talk. How much was it?

$10 each before discounts. I only paid like $5 out of pocket for AC, so I'd say I came out on top.

sPider817 on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    [strike]Spectre[/strike]

[strike]Or MPL.[/strike]

[strike]Mac-11[/strike]

Uzi.

Mechanical on
    edited January 2011
    That's just spiteful

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So basically nobody agrees..lol

I think I will try out the Spectre, it has a cool name and got more than one vote.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was in a game against a team of four today. They all camped, they all had second chance pro, stuck together and my team couldn't go positive (ended up with a split screren level 19). We just won the first game, just lost the second and got annihilated the third. Then they bitched about the way I played. I'm not even sure what they meant.

pp = pump gun pussy

?

edit: Also you lot are crazy, the Olympia is great fun to use.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Making shotguns a primary weapon was a very poor choice, especially when they aren't even good enough to stand up to some SMG's.

Also dont listen to these other suggestions, MPL with rapid fire is the golden gun.

Tridus1x on
    edited January 2011
    They are always golden after prestige 13 or so ;)

Lt Muffin360 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    I had a good run on Nuketown with the SPAS and Python+ speedloader. I got a headshot on a sniper in one of the windows with the Python. I think this is my load out for small maps. I could easily replace the shotgun with a SMG and probably get more kills, but this set-up forces me to learn and it is fun, just like my M14+flamer.

And I had a good game on Array. I used Scav, I think Steady Aim and Hacker. I killed eight guys before I died the first time! :)

And my clan tag is now DEAL, emblem is a skull with a biohazard symbol on the forehead wearing shades. 8-)
    I am going to add some flames somewhere, maybe little flames in the lenses.

DouglasDanger on