As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

COD BLOPS: Emblem collage in OP, post your emblem for the next one!

• MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    So basically nobody agrees..lol

I think I will try out the Spectre, it has a cool name and got more than one vote.

None of them are really awful, to be honest. I just don't like the Mac-11.

Mechanical on
  • slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would have made the AK47 available early on and maybe had the ak74u as the last smg. Adding grip would give a stock, the same as the Scorpion and Uzi.

I don't know how they will fix it without nerfing it. Maybe reduce its range.

what makes the 74u overpowered is it's high damage over range coupled with the fact that it has the most predictable recoil of all the SMG's. I highly doubt Treyarch can/will recode these things, so their only feasible options to balance it are the ideas they have already put out there (nerfing the grip and/or lessening its ammo).

either that or put it with the AR's where it belongs so you lose the benefit of the SMG movement speed, but that seems highly unlikely also.

slurpeekilla on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tridus1x wrote: »
    Making shotguns a primary weapon was a very poor choice, especially when they aren't even good enough to stand up to some SMG's.

There are some bad weapons, but most of the guns are good. You have to use different guns for different situations. Some are good all-around, like the FAMAS, AUG and Galil, some are more specialized. I think we all wish shotguns had a little more range. For now, we have to

dealwithitdoggifo.gif

I really hope Treyarch makes a Black Ops 2 in a couple of years. I read the intel stuff on the wiki and there is a set-up for a sequel, and it sold well, so odds are good. The setting is cool and fairly unique. It is nice to see some different guns, even if half of the players use the Commando or the MP5 or the Aug.
    I would have made the AK47 available early on and maybe had the ak74u as the last smg. Adding grip would give a stock, the same as the Scorpion and Uzi.

I don't know how they will fix it without nerfing it. Maybe reduce its range.

what makes the 74u overpowered is it's high damage over range coupled with the fact that it has the most predictable recoil of all the SMG's. I highly doubt Treyarch can/will recode these things, so their only feasible options to balance it are the ideas they have already put out there (nerfing the grip and/or lessening its ammo).

either that or put it with the AR's where it belongs so you lose the benefit of the SMG movement speed, but that seems highly unlikely also.

Yeah, I don't think there is an easy solution. It doesn't have a stock, so it doesn't make sense for it to be the rifles. It shoots a rifle round, so it doesn't make sense for it to be with SMGs. I think they should reduce its range.

DouglasDanger on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I think I will try out the Spectre, it has a cool name and got more than one vote.

If you come back and tell us that you love the shit out of the uzi, I'll eat my hat.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just picked this up Monday night. Really enjoying the Multi-Player, even if I sorta suck at it.

Add me and hit me up, think I'll be playing this a lot.

PSN in sig.

Edit: I dunno if it's the PS3 or whatever, but I do get the occasional system freeze and random disconnects while playing Multi-Player.
    Probably everyone else gets it too, but I figured I'd mention it.

Bloodshed on
    edited January 2011
    I have disconnects and trouble finding servers sometimes. I play on ps3 too. I don't know what the deal is. It doesn't really bother me though.

What was the Treyarch dev guy's twitter? The one with ak74 discussion. Search is off and I can't find the post linking it.

edit
    found it
    In the proposed patch notes for v1.06 they were talking about making the 74 + grip less effective.

AK74u fixes are being debated here.

DouglasDanger on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have disconnects and trouble finding servers sometimes. I play on ps3 too. I don't know what the deal is. It doesn't really bother me though.

What was the Treyarch dev guy's twitter? The one with ak74 discussion. Search is off and I can't find the post linking it.
    http://twitter.com/DavidVonderhaar

iTunesIsEvil on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hibernus wrote: »
    Also if they allowed you to fire pistols while diving I'd have to change my gamertag to InspectorTequila

Not if I beat you to it.

Anyway, how is the Uzi in blops? I haven't tried it yet, but from the last page and a half I have to assume it isn't the beast like it was in MW2.

Arrath on
  • Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jaunty wrote: »

If you come back and tell us that you love the shit out of the uzi, I'll eat my hat.

I love the shit out of the Uzi. It's so hilarious to use! If you get very lucky or can control the recoil, you WILL get a chopper gunner, I did this. No, stop looking at me like I'm a filthy lying son bitch!

Steel-Lion on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Campaign on Veteran is easy. This is strange.

Edit: The new breach animation over the shoulder OMFG. Best Michael Bay movie yet.

joshgotro on
  • slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I don't think there is an easy solution. It doesn't have a stock, so it doesn't make sense for it to be the rifles. It shoots a rifle round, so it doesn't make sense for it to be with SMGs. I think they should reduce its range.

real life AKS-74u's do have a stock, it just folds up. it shouldn't be listed as an SMG because it is a carbine, same as the Colt Commando. /gun nerd

in-game, the 74u has the same damage/range stats as the MP5K, it's just that since it has very predictable recoil (even more so with a grip attached) it is more effective at longer ranges. I'm not sure that things like recoil and damage stats are things Treyarch is willing to tinker with in this instance, which is why they are looking at nerfing certain attachments.

slurpeekilla on
    edited January 2011
    How do I find one of my clips? I don't know how to do that.

edit
    http://www.stickskills.com/article/1509/how-to-upload-black-ops-footage-to-youtube/

The stock actually folds to the side, but yeah, I don't know what they will do with the ak74.

DouglasDanger on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Search your PS3 ID on Youtube. I just did and I couldn't find any of your videos. How long ago did you render it?

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited January 2011

Search your PS3 ID on Youtube. I just did and I couldn't find any of your videos. How long ago did you render it?

Ah, I forgot to render it.

I think the solution to the ak74u "problem" is a reduction in range. It doesn't have a shoulder stock, so it should be a short range in your face type weapon, like an SMG.

DouglasDanger on
  • BinaryBinary Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I really hope Treyarch makes a Black Ops 2 in a couple of years. I read the intel stuff on the wiki and there is a set-up for a sequel, and it sold well, so odds are good.

Saying "it sold well" is kind of like saying "a few people bought tickets to see Avatar."

I'd think a sequel is pretty much a slam dunk at this point.

Hoping to get some play time in this weekend with those of you on PS3. Really loving Sharpshooter right now, even for low stakes.

Binary on
    binary101010.jpg
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is the MP5K more accurate from the hip than the other SMG's or am I imagining it?

glithert on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Well when you do it will take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours, depending on the queue of videos waiting to be uploaded.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I think the solution to the ak74u "problem" is a reduction in range. It doesn't have a shoulder stock, so it should be a short range in your face type weapon, like an SMG.

I want to know what you mean by "shorter range" since every non-shotgun in the game has bullets that go the same distance.

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I want to know what you mean by "shorter range" since every non-shotgun in the game has bullets that go the same distance.

I'm not sure exactly. Something needs to be changed so it behaves more like an SMG. More recoil? Wider spread? I don't know.

I want to know why your tone is always so grumpy. If you are not bitching about something, you are still talking in a curt tone.

DouglasDanger on
    edited January 2011
    Next patch in QA
    Second Chance gets a scoring overhaul.

If you shoot the guy and he falls into Second Chance you will get the +100 (in TDM) and kill credit. You don't get this if the guy is revived. You get it if: (1) you finish him off (2) he takes Coward's Way Out (3) he "times out" and dies anyhow or (4) a teammate finishes him off.
    If a player is already in Second Chance and you finish him off, you get an Assist and the appropriate credit.

Many community members expressed that they felt "cheated" out of a kill if they dropped someone into Second Chance and a teammate got the kill. In my opinion (which does not necessarily represent the views of Treyarch or every Treyarch developer), if you feel this way you might be taking the game just a little too seriously.

This might have unintended consequences. Perhaps more people will leave guys hanging around in Second Chance. Maybe this will be a problem. Maybe it will benefit Second Chance users. We will see. In the end, we were willing to do this because it doesn't impact how Second Chance works in any significant way.

Additionally, Second Chance users are going to get blown to bits if they die by a shotgun blast. You will not fall into Second Chance. It works the same way it does if you die by a headshot. This might be going too far, but it's something we talked over at length and are willing to try.

The RC-XD has had its top speed and maximum damage reduced. Not much, mind you. Flak Jacket users will survive an RC-XD attack way better than someone without Flak Jacket. However, it won't make you completely immune.

The AK74u also gets some minor tweaks.

Some members of the community expressed that it is the combination of attachments such as grip + rapid fire that present the real problem.

To take Warlord you have to give up Steady Aim or Sleight of Hand (among others). That's two very popular and powerful Perks, if you are an AK74u user. Trade-offs are part of the game design.

The game stats allow us to evaluate the reality of how weapons are used and cut through the perception or emotions. We've started to use those stats to help us analyze the reality. It's early days. We have to think carefully about how it informs our decisions.

As frustrating as the AK74u conversation was for many people, I learned some important things from it. It was a really good reminder how I take for granted how the game works and what is technically feasible. Let me give you an example:

Some gamers said to me, "Why don't you dial back the fire rate on the Rapid Fire version?"

This seems like a completely reasonable suggestion, unless you know how the engine (and Rapid Fire) technically works.

The community provided many suggestions that seem completely reasonable, unless you know how the engine works. Responding to dozens, if not hundreds, of suggestions with an explanation of why they are not practical isn't something I could realistically do.

I don't want this to dissuade us from having a dialog, but I need to think carefully about what topics can realistically be asked about.

Gameplay tuning is a fickle beast. One man's perfect is another man's nightmare. I don't think it's perfect, but it is far from a nightmare. It's the most popular online shooter. If it was horribly unbalanced, unfair, or completely unfun - it wouldn't be.

Finally, I am fully aware that these are not the only game play issues on the minds of the Black Ops community at large. Many are being considered; some will not. When and if it becomes appropriate to discuss them with you, we will.

We remain committed to making small game play tweaks to the game. We've tweaked Snipers as a whole. We've tweaked Knifes. We will tweak Second Chance, the RC-XD, and even some guns.

After all that is done, and we feel comfortable that we haven't made things worse in anyway, we will figure out where to go next.

Fans should remain optimistic, but realistic. Over a million people play the game every day. 99% of them we will never get the opportunity to hear from directly the way we do from forum, Twitter, or Facebook users.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar

DouglasDanger on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like the fact that shotguns won't send people into second chance anymore. Once I get tired of running around with akimbo smgs like a moron I might go back to using shotguns for being stupid and getting myself killed in most situations.

Weakening the RC cars is pretty nice as well, although slowing them down may make them easier to drive and help a little bit.

Magell on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hopefully slowing them down will make them easier to shoot. The hit detection on the RC car is atrocious.

Psychotic One on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hopefully slowing them down will make them easier to shoot. The hit detection on the RC car is atrocious.

I regularly shoot nowhere near an RC and end up killing it anyway.

Then, when I try to hit them, I absolutely cannot.

hatedinamerica on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Fire about six inches to a foot in front of it depending on your latency and it'll go down real nice. I can get them easily now.

Also, the shotgun change? I hope it actually visibly gibs people now when they die to it. Like the W@W shotguns.

Also?

FUCK YES

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KSG video. 3.5" Magnum round fireball allows it to double as a flamethrower.

do want

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    edited January 2011
    That's cool, but it has nothing to do with Black Ops.

I want to work on my reflexes and start using the tomahawk. I've seen some hilariously awesome tomahawk montages.

I will hold out hope that a future patch will increase the range of shotguns. Perhaps reduce the spread of the buckshot pellets.

I wonder what they did to the ak74u. He didn't say. Hmmm.

DouglasDanger on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to work on my reflexes and start using the tomahawk. I've seen some hilariously awesome tomahawk montages.

Make a class with the worst guns you can think of, tomahawk, and Scavenger.

the only way to get really good at the tomahawk is to have Scavenger so you don't feel bad about "wasting" your hawk by throwing it at anything other than a sure-shot.

Being a devout tomahawk user, I'm obligated to tell you that it is objectively the best way to play and infinitely rewarding.

hatedinamerica on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KSG video. 3.5" Magnum round fireball allows it to double as a flamethrower.

do want

Seeeeexxxxx

Arrath on
    edited January 2011
    That's cool, but it has nothing to do with Black Ops.

I will hold out hope that a future patch will increase the range of shotguns. Perhaps reduce the spread of the buckshot pellets.

I wonder what they did to the ak74u. He didn't say. Hmmm.

We were speculating on MW3 shotguns and that was one of my idears.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have to give Treyarch a ton of credit they are working hard to support this game.

jonny439 on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Any tips for a newbie? For Hardware and perks, that is?
    I've only been at it 1.5 days so I'm like lvl 20 and haven't unlocked/bought much yet.

Lately I like the Famas w/ Red Dot, but I just unlocked the next assault rifle down the list earlier and haven't tried it yet. (I forgot the name, stuck at work til midnight)

Bloodshed on
    edited January 2011
    Galil?

Best overall gun in the game. Hardline, Sleight of Hand, Hacker/Marathon.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Galil?

milk ducks on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    Any tips for a newbie? For Hardware and perks, that is?
    I've only been at it 1.5 days so I'm like lvl 20 and haven't unlocked/bought much yet.

Lately I like the Famas w/ Red Dot, but I just unlocked the next assault rifle down the list earlier and haven't tried it yet. (I forgot the name, stuck at work til midnight)

My load outs that have been working for me.

Assault - Aug with reflex/extended mags - Scav pro, warlord pro, tac mask. Refillable flash or nova gas for clearing rooms

Sniper - L96 with variable zoom / Python with speed loader - Scav pro, Scout pro, Tac Mask with flash bangs. Plenty of ammo to start. Flash bangs when you got to move or hamper the enemy. Strong pistol that can drop in 2 to 3 shots

LMG - M60 with Extended ammo and Red dot and Strela-3. Hardline pro, warlord pro, Hacker or tac mask. Tac grenade of choice. This is a crowd raper and is built to fuck kill streaks

As far as kill streaks go I'd recommend to start Spy Plane, SAM turret, Napalm or Care Package

Sam Turret will get you a TON of points fast. This thing is going to chew Air Planes up and will drop all choppers in 2 shots. Lasts a good amount of time. In objective game types you put it behind you spawn and it will keep the sky clear.

Psychotic One on
    edited January 2011
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Galil?

Tac Mask Tac Mask Tac Mask

joshgotro on
    edited January 2011
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Galil?

If you accidentally flash yourself a bunch, this is a good choice.

But no one you are fighting uses bitch grenades so it's kind of pointless.

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2011
    I get flashed on Dom points all day. At all times of the day. Every second.

Somehow mention the Mac11.

joshgotro on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I shoot people with the MAC11 rather than cap points.

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2011
    BOOM!

Edit: The welding on it makes me mad. Thus not using it because it's ugly.

joshgotro on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Galil?

If you accidentally flash yourself a bunch, this is a good choice.

But no one you are fighting uses bitch grenades so it's kind of pointless.

I've been finding a lot more people using nova gas lately which makes it nice to have in objective games.

Magell on