As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - V1.1 is out. New Cars! New Achievements!

• Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is this any good on the PC?

tofu on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just played this game with my logitech g25 wheel set up on a friend's game.

And honestly...why do companies bother making driving games that are less fun with a wheel than they are with a keyboard and mouse setup or controller. I mean, I can understand making sure that KBAM and controller setups are still fun to play, but a wheel should always always be better...because...well...its a wheel. And you're playing a DRIVING game.

But in NFS HP, just like in Carbon, the wheel is twitchy, overly responsive, and completely ridiculous to try to drive with. Its just not possible.

What a stupid fucking game.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's alright. I was expecting Paradise City but with cops. Unfortunately it's not. It has a free roam mode but there are no cops when you're a racer or racers when you're a cop. If they patched that in however...

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I just played this game with my logitech g25 wheel set up on a friend's game.

And honestly...why do companies bother making driving games that are less fun with a wheel than they are with a keyboard and mouse setup or controller. I mean, I can understand making sure that KBAM and controller setups are still fun to play, but a wheel should always always be better...because...well...its a wheel. And you're playing a DRIVING game.

But in NFS HP, just like in Carbon, the wheel is twitchy, overly responsive, and completely ridiculous to try to drive with. Its just not possible.

What a stupid fucking game.

To be fair you use wheels for Forza/GT/Shift/Dirt. Games like Burnout/Hot Pursuit are a bit too arcadey for wheels.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    but thats my point

why does arcadey mean it has to be shit with a wheel?

If anything it would MORE be suited to a wheel, crazily spinning it back and forth to do insane stuff.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    but thats my point

If anything it would MORE be suited to a wheel, crazily spinning it back and forth to do insane stuff.

I dunno, it's way twitchier/faster to flick a controller stick back and forth than it is to rotate a wheel. Meh, I dunno.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone have this on the PC? Seems like it won't be very fun without a decent friends list to go to war with.

Drool on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I need some friends to add to my autolog - XBL gamertag is ehrenb2.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Olorin wrote: »
    but thats my point

I dunno, it's way twitchier/faster to flick a controller stick back and forth than it is to rotate a wheel. Meh, I dunno.

Cruisin USA, Hydro Thunder, San Francisco Rush, Crazy Taxi etc etc etc, all seemed to do quite well in the arcade with wheels.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    After doing some research it looks like the community is already dead on the PC

And the game won't be supported at all by EA or Criterion

aaaaaaawesome

tofu on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    tofu wrote: »

aaaaaaawesome

How is at ALREADY dead?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I was playing a couple of weeks ago and it certainly wasn't dead back then. I always found people to play with. And once I got into online shenanigans, random people started adding me and vice versa and suddenly I had more than enough people for Autolog.

But if someone has the choice, I would definitely recommend going console. It makes no sense that this isn't a Steamworks game and Autolog was built around that structure, so it'd be best experienced on XBL or PSN. And I wasn't that impressed by the visuals, either, so I say go console.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I finally started playing online (and I don't mean just autolog stuff, I mean hot Pursuit mode)
    Holy crap it's so awesome.

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If anyone wants to play this on the PC with me, my id is BrodoFaggins.

Add me!

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got this on Steam and I'm having some problems. Oh, it's nothing major. Just a chunk of the world missing!
    pic.jpg
    pic.jpg

Also, I've multiple times had it stop doing anything at all in the menus. The first time it happened right after choosing a car, but before choosing a color. It just showed the background and what keys to press. If I pressed something on the keyboard or on the controller changed what kind of keys it showed, so it wasn't completely frozen. The other times it happened was when I tried to exit while my car hovered in the void and I tried to quit. Those times I just got a black screen.

Brodo, I'll add and we can play if I get it to work right. I verified my files in Steam and it started to download a little more, so hopefully it was Steam that messed up and it'll be fixed after this download.

Peewi on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I broke down and bought this because, Criterion

It's...eh. It's okay. Nothing special. I just expected it to be more Burnout-y, I guess, which it is decidedly not.

Question, though; on the first course of the game, why are there times from my friends that have never played the game, according to their Achievement lists?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ok, the game is working fine now and it's pretty cool.

Brodo, I tried adding you and it couldn't find you. You could try adding me instead. My in-game name is Peewi.

Peewi on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011

It's...eh. It's okay. Nothing special. I just expected it to be more Burnout-y, I guess, which it is decidedly not.

Question, though; on the first course of the game, why are there times from my friends that have never played the game, according to their Achievement lists?

I think that's because of the demo. The times posted on their speedwall in the demo actually carry over into the full game. I'm not 100% certain if that's really the case, but I do recall that I received some bonus bounty points for having played the demo.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Boughted this on steam when it was on sale.

Gonna give it a whirl tonight.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Drool wrote: »
    Anyone have this on the PC? Seems like it won't be very fun without a decent friends list to go to war with.

I have it on PC.

tofu wrote: »

aaaaaaawesome

Just the DLC. They are still patching it. PC Patch #2 is on the way.

My EA ID : HHHawk

Hawk on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    EA doesn't seem to like steam a whole lot.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jaunty wrote: »
    EA doesn't seem to like steam a whole lot.

Yeah, because they have their own flavor of it. And it's horrible.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game is a lot more fun on my new PC now that I can turn all the graphics settings up and still get silky-smooth performance.

Unfortunately, in the month or so I took off, everybody else still playing the game on PC appears to have seriously improved their skills. I can barely compete online now.

Still disgruntled about the lack of DLC and disingenuous excuse-making on principle, even if I don't particularly care about any of the stuff that's actually in it.

My EA ID is Gaslighter, BTW.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    LCDXX wrote: »

I think that's because of the demo. The times posted on their speedwall in the demo actually carry over into the full game. I'm not 100% certain if that's really the case, but I do recall that I received some bonus bounty points for having played the demo.

Yeah, that's the case.

And UV, you have to try the cop career, once you're given your equipment that's where it really shines (beyond the stupid time trials).

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just went through the last 10 pages or so in this thread and added all the PS3 players I saw to my friends list. If I didn't add you, I must have just missed your PSN name. Just add me (BFicky).

I agree with what was posted a few pages ago... 2 second collision penalties on cop time trials are not necessary. Pretty sure hitting the wall is a penalty in itself. Everything else in this game rocks.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If there's something better then hopping back into this game and beating several friend times, I don't wanna know what it is.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I hope you PS3 players with wheels fare better. Playing the PC version with a Driving Force GT is an exercise in futility.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MAN I NEVER EVEN SAW THIS THREAD HERE.

I raced Peewi a few times tonight. There may have been swearing involved. And me doing a frontflip off an SUV that Peewi knocked into me. And bumping Peewi into the path of a fuckhuge truck.

and frapsing it

Will upload soon :D

PC name is Warcry616. Add meh.

Also video but not peewi dying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtbN0gP2yNA

Warcry on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Warcry on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hah

how many people can play online at once, on PC?

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    8 or 10.

Warcry on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pretty sure it's 8. At least that's how many spaces are in the lobbies.

I didn't actually know I had knocked a car into you before watching that video.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'd be down for some racing. Steam ID is in my sig.

Does this game tie into Steam or is it some funky EA thing?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »

EA thing.

Peewi on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm really liking this game so far. After playing a ton of Burnout Paradise and the Motorstorm series, it's refreshing to play a racing game and not crash constantly.

Couple things:

I'm glad that I can still do the Autolog thing even though I don't have the EA online pass. I can't actually race online, but I can still get the times of all my friends. I just wish the game didn't ask me to type in a code, sign up for the 2 day pass, or skip every time I turn it on.

When I finish a race, and it asks me whether or not I want to post something, it's talking about the personal recommendations I see from friends on certain races, right? Even if I say no, my time/rank still shows up on other people's lists, they just don't get the "BFicky has a time of 2:30.45 on this race. Wanna try and beat him?" message?

When you have your choice of car on a certain race, how do you pick which car to use? Right now, I'm just going by top speed, which I'm sure is the rookie way of doing it. Do you actually take cars out in freedrive and see how they handle? (Is that the point of freedrive, or is there more to it?) Stick to a certain make/type? Just go with your most recent acquisition?

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Got an e-mail from Impulse today, all the NFS games they have (including Hot Pursuit) are 50% off

tofu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »

EA thing.

Found it, my EA tag is beltyloa

Added Warcry and Peewi

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bficky wrote: »
    When you have your choice of car on a certain race, how do you pick which car to use? Right now, I'm just going by top speed, which I'm sure is the rookie way of doing it. Do you actually take cars out in freedrive and see how they handle? (Is that the point of freedrive, or is there more to it?) Stick to a certain make/type? Just go with your most recent acquisition?

There's not honestly that much difference between cars. There are slight differences in handling and top speed, but there are few if any events where car choice is ever going to be the difference between you winning and losing. A couple of the Duel races are serious mismatches (like the one I complained about pages and pages ago where the Audi just gets its doors blown off by the Porsche) and that's about it. Pick the car you like/are used to.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I will not disupte the likelihood that I suck at this game, but how the everlovin' fudge nuggets does anyone even complete hot pursuit events after about level 7? I've been trying to even come in last in Avalanche and I get EMP'd to death no matter what countermeasures I take.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yea the later racer missions are a real pain in the dick. i kinda wanted to smash my controller a couple times.

Ah_Pook on