As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chinese F-22 equivalents. Air Force says "I TOLD U SO"

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
I found this interesting. In class we discussed the fact that just as the US stopped production of the F-22's so the rich-bitch Air Force pilots can stop humping their 20-million-dollar-UFO's, it turns out China is cranking out F-22 equivalents.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1716168/how-does-chinas-stealth-fighter-work-by-ripping-off-the-f-22

The F-35, supposedly the next fighter, while looking similarly as badassed as the F-22, is not an Air Superiority Fighter. It's a Joint Strike Fighter, meant for dropping bombs. It can't really fight other planes like an F-22 can. And by stopping production of the F-22, it can probably never be started up again.

I read articles in the Air Force Times, and they're obviously slanted that this will be a problem in the future, and that military cuts are going to be to the point where the U.S. will not be able to defend itself, and that this is the first time the military is being cut in the middle of a war.

And they can bitch all they want, it's only the beginning.

My question is how much cutting is happening properly versus how much taxation is happening properly.

I often look at this video and compare it to how war is fought now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ69X1qt4sQ

I'll be damned, they fought a war and taxes went up. Furthermore they propaganda'd the shit out of America to both educate and motivate citizens to budget their money to pay these higher taxes. But that's a PROPAGANDA cartoon. But at the same time, back then, EVERYBODY was put to work during the war, in factories and such.

Compare that to now, where people are working very hard to keep the war as far from their minds as possible (and George W. Bush wanted it that way). And not only is not everyone "put to work," these factories are inefficient. If you want to build something like a tanker, all the parts are put together in factories spread apart across America and then put together so that those individual states can keep constituents happy.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to ask, but I wanted some opinions on this.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just because the Chinese plane looks like an F-22 doesn't mean it's anywhere near the F-22's capabilities. Flight avionics and various other stuff under the hood make a large difference.

Delta Assault on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    Whenever I hear about preparedness for war with China, all I think of "Why are we having war with China?" and "can we, like, not have war with China?" and, in this instance "I can think of a billion things to better spend billion of dollars on than ensuring supreme air superiority in The Great American-Chinese War of 20SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN."

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think you really have to want to see it to think the Chinese fighter is a carbon copy of the F-22.

The Soviet space shuttle and Concord were copies. The Chinese fighter is more like a remix.

And it's a bit surprise that an Air Force magazine is concerned that funding is being cut fore their penile enhancement projects.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They might decide to attack us because... yeah. America doesn't care about Taiwan that much, and Taiwan doesn't want to be completely destroyed.

Couscous on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wont it come down to nukes anyway?

Casual Eddy on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to have a war with China. Against North Korea.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited January 2011
    wont it come down to nukes anyway?

Not if it's something like Taiwan. We aren't going to nuke China if they invade Taiwan, and they won't nuke Taiwan, or us. The most we'd invest is probably a couple carrier battle groups. Which are going to carry the aforementioned F-35s.

Delta Assault on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Considering how well they build their cars with government money AND COMMUNISM, I'd say we have nothing to worry about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SRyG6UR2A

But really, I don't think many people talk about Chinese non-electric products like cars, airplanes, trains, bikes, boats, etc. like we do about Russian ones. I mean, outside of Russian cars (Yugolol), people seem to give high regards to their fighter airplanes. I can't recall one instance where people talked about that mad Chinese fighter they have that is so much superior to anything we have, like they do with Russian ones.

L Ron Howard on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    a carrier in the taiwan strait is pretty much all that ever has been and seems to be necessary
    china really has no way to get their manpower across the strait anyway fancy airplane or not

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so it's like the f-22? Meaning it costs a goddamm fortune to make, barely works and needs a million dollars in repairs after a stiff breeze?

oh and we'll actually see it deployed in like 2060

OH NOES!

nexuscrawler on
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think I've seen it suggested in Foreign Affairs that air superiority aircraft are likely to be countered more by targeting their runways and facilities with cruise missiles, rather than a direct aerial confrontation.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The date, 2035, war is brewing across the east!

"Commander, Deploy our billion dollar attack jets!"
    "Yes General!"

5 minutes later

"Our jets have all been shot down by swarms of $10000 unmanned drones!"

Seriously, air superiority fighters are cool and all, but it's the whole 'prepare for the last war' mistake all over again. If there is another war it will be fought overwhelmingly with drones and other unmanned stuff.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Elki wrote: »
    Whenever I hear about preparedness for war with China, all I think of "Why are we having war with China?" and "can we, like, not have war with China?" and, in this instance "I can think of a billion things to better spend billion of dollars on than ensuring supreme air superiority in The Great American-Chinese War of 20SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN."

Well we need a war with someone, obviously. That's just what we do. And the Russians just aren't as menacing as they used to be, and the EU is always ruining the fun by allying and agreeing with us. China is our only hope.

Pi-r8 on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The military budget IS NOT BEING CUT.

The rate of increase is being slowed down.

Phoenix-D on
    edited January 2011
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

Well we need a war with someone, obviously. That's just what we do. And the Russians just aren't as menacing as they used to be, and the EU is always ruining the fun by allying and agreeing with us. China is our only hope.

Ahem. Clearly, you haven't been paying attention to Homefront.

Delta Assault on
  • MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Don't forget the small countries that we're constantly angry at, but don't have the hardware to justify the spending on our hardware.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

All heard was CUT.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah, seriously. What's this obsession with going to war with China all about? I've seen it for a while, but I don't get it. Even discounting our economic interdependence and the hell that'd likely wreak on the world's economy, what are we going to go to war over? Taiwan? The occasional Chinese muscle-flexing?

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    If China's making F-22's, all we need is to do is instruct our fire brigades to point their hoses skyward and maybe start gluing super soakers to our existing fleet. Problem solved.

agentk13 on
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Muriden wrote: »

Don't forget the small countries that we're constantly angry at, but don't have the hardware to justify the spending on our hardware.

That's why we sell them our own older hardware, before we invade them. Like Iraq, or potentially Iran.

Pi-r8 on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I want a war with China just so we can name it OPERATION TAKEOUT.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Developing a manned fighter, well that's kind of cute.

Seal on
    edited January 2011

Yeah, seriously. What's this obsession with going to war with China all about? I've seen it for a while, but I don't get it. Even discounting our economic interdependence and the hell that'd likely wreak on the world's economy, what are we going to go to war over? Taiwan? The occasional Chinese muscle-flexing?

Haven't you ever heard of the boy scouts' motto: "Always be prepared."

"If you wish for peace, prepare for war."

"We must remember that vigilance is the price of safety."

Delta Assault on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

It certainly should be cut, and massively... But, it's certainly not been cut yet.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait, I thought the F-35 was the one with the million dollar stealth paintjob that peeled off or something.

Fencingsax on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

How the hell else can we make the Fallout universe a reality?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited January 2011
    Seal wrote: »
    Developing a manned fighter, well that's kind of cute.

well mans are something they have plenty of...

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

What ever happened to "Don't be a dumbass"?

Because we aren't going to war with China. Is this some vestige of the yellow scare combined with anticommunist ridiculousness or something?

Fencingsax on
    edited January 2011

How is a war with China even gonna work?

Do you really see some kind of 400 million man amphibious landing off the coast of LA or something?

Perhaps a new Golden Horde chugging it's way towards Europe?

Yeah...not happening brosef.

Kagera on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tbloxham wrote: »
    The date, 2035, war is brewing across the east!

"Commander, Deploy our billion dollar attack jets!"
    "Yes General!"

5 minutes later

"Our jets have all been shot down by swarms of $10000 unmanned drones!"

Seriously, air superiority fighters are cool and all, but it's the whole 'prepare for the last war' mistake all over again. If there is another war it will be fought overwhelmingly with drones and other unmanned stuff.

Exactly. The last time anyone got in a dog fight was the movie Top Gun.

Caveman Paws on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One way a war with China would happen if North Korea does something really stupid and they end up getting their shit pushed up into China again and then China goes all "Fuck you! We don't want these ass holes!" and starts pushing us back and we're all "No way dude! F22's away! and then China gets all "Oh yeah! J-20's I choose you!"

Anyway, I always like the YF-23 more. Shoulda chose it instead.

Mr.Sunshine on
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »

Do you really see some kind of 400 million man amphibious landing off the coast of LA or something?

in my experience they would come through kamchatka

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited January 2011

Well, there's Taiwan. And I dunno, maybe something in the future is gonna... happen. Look, I don't have a magic fucking crystal ball. And I doubt you do either.

The military's job is to prepare for every eventuality. Not just the ones we're totally certain of.

Delta Assault on
  • agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

Maybe we should "be prepared" for spontaneous military combustion by dropping everything associated with the military into the sea.

Or maybe we should "be prepared" for economic collapse by diverting all the money the military is wasting on useless toys to areas that actually stimulate our economy and protect our citizens, like maybe fixing up all those decrepit dams in the northeast that are pretty much guaranteed to break and cause massive flooding over the next decade.

agentk13 on
  • SekxtionSekxtion Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I want a war with China just so we can name it OPERATION TAKEOUT.

Youre going to want more war 30 minutes later, though.

Sekxtion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    But manufacturing all those "useless toys" do things for the economy, do they not? They're not build by the soldiers.

And why is it the militarys fault a federal or local government isn't making funds to fix things?

Mr.Sunshine on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

in my experience they would come through kamchatka

Well that just sounds Risky

Joolander on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    War with China would happen the day China no longer needs us, and they're more likely to undergo a change of government before that comes to pass.

Linespider5 on
    edited January 2011

Well, there's Taiwan. And I dunno, maybe something in the future is gonna... happen. Look, I don't have a magic fucking crystal ball. And I doubt you do either.

The military's job is to prepare for every eventuality. Not just the ones we're totally certain of.

I don't need to know the future to realize the unbelievable logistics behind a conventional war between participants half a world away is pretty fucking insane. And before you say 'but JAPPPAAAAN' let me hold your shit right there and tell you to eff off because while Japan was facing the threat of invasion in the end the US was NEVER at risk of Japanese soldiers in the White House.

And this is all without talking about the issue of MAD and the fact that we're so economically tied together at this point there is no fucking way any officials on either side would risk their necks with war which has no major objective except maybe Taiwan and that is an objective that if taken to task we really REALLY don't give that much a shit about.

Kagera on
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

There's a difference between preparedness and paranoia, and you're pretty much advocating the latter. I understand where you're coming from but it's far-fetched in the foreseeable future and there are better ways to prepare than the enormously expensive F-22 project. Not that it'd matter, as I expect the economic fallout would screw most of us little people over before the fighting itself ever got close.

Also, every eventuality? Should we be preparing for an alien invasion too? Not to compare the unlikelihood of that to a war with China, but there's a point where you head into the realm of ridiculousness.

Gennenalyse Rueben on