As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

i have an infection in my butt, a game design infection

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Orik, what do you mean when you are requesting sound?

Also I have some experience in voice acting (doing production for my radio show/station) and have the equipment to record it/send it.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    foley stuff, ambient sound, that sort of thing

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i can do foley and ambient recording, however multichannel sound programming is outside my sphere of knowledge

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can compose some synth/keyboard stuff if that's your thing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I made a game in LUA and I'm halfway done with another. I like LUA a bit, its good for arcade games.

One day when I have more time I want to get into doing games with C and OpenGL

Jasconius on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it's a detective game set in a prison

It's gonna be tough to top Batman Arkham Asylum

Seriously though, I'm ok at Halo Reach

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Arkham Asylum is an action brawler set in an asylum and the surrounding grounds. With Batman.

It's like comparing apples and spent uranium fuel rods.

NotASenator on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Have you looked at websites that have provide access to free stuff? My productions at school tend to use a lot of stuff from www.freeplaymusic.com for instance.

Zonugal on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

that sounds extremely interesting!

unfortunately I don't have any useful skills to donate yet. Ask me again in a year.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »

Have you looked at websites that have provide access to free stuff? My productions at school tend to use a lot of stuff from www.freeplaymusic.com for instance.

Yeah sound effects and ambient stuff is pretty easy to come by through the wonders of the internet. It gets a little hard at some points but all in all you can find pretty much anything you would need.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Orik, I can fart well and I have a hairy back. If by any chance these attributes will help your cause, I'm your man.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    we have nothing but recording space, as well as plenty of old tools, and rickity old machines that can be improvised to provide spooky sound i assume you'd like in something set in a prison

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited January 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Orik, I can fart well and I have a hairy back. If by any chance these attributes will help your cause, I'm your man.

We have us a grip.

Zonugal on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh I know how to operate a portable mixer if that helps :P

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm good at: Starting fires, hiding evidence, critical thinking, and mild account. Let me know if you need me.

Melding on
    edited January 2011
    So what I'm actually doing right now is setting up a Perforce server for source control, and I was and soon will be again working on a rotating 3rd person camera in the UDK.

NotASenator on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    omg did you just say perforce

perforce <3

Kochikens on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am giving serious thought to getting off my arse and looking at this UDK thing once I get my new computer in a couple months. Something seems to have recently jogged me out of my contemplative indifference and given me reason to reconsider my creative development skills.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited January 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »

perforce <3

I really have Joel from Hothead to thank for introducing me to it. It's really the best system I've ever used for source control.

NotASenator on
    edited January 2011
    Fishman wrote: »
    I am giving serious thought to getting off my arse and looking at this UDK thing once I get my new computer in a couple months. Something seems to have recently jogged me out of my contemplative indifference and given me reason to reconsider my creative development skills.

You should find whoever is responsible for that and kill them so they stop taking your mind off of your X-COM LP.

NotASenator on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »

perforce <3

I really have Joel from Hothead to thank for introducing me to it. It's really the best system I've ever used for source control.

It has it's issues, but setting up and working in differences branches and checking shit in and out is so fucking easy.

Kochikens on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

You should find whoever is responsible for that and kill them so they stop taking your mind off of your X-COM LP.

Them, and the guys responsible for the Steam Sale. Don't think this is over, Gabe Newell :x

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited January 2011
    Why is perforce better than git?

Jasconius on
    edited January 2011
    i set up subversion and trac on my domain, i just need to start generating content

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited January 2011
    i refuse to touch subversion because I've seen the horrors it can produce

45 minute checkouts

3 hour branch merges

never again

Jasconius on
    edited January 2011
    i don't really know the difference, i'm just flailing around and trying to get some experience

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited January 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Why is perforce better than git?

Because I've used perforce and like it.

NotASenator on
  • animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Orik I'm a freshly graduated actor and I'd love to do some voice stuff for you

lemme know if you want me to send a resume your way. it's mostly collegiate work though.

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited January 2011

Them, and the guys responsible for the Steam Sale. Don't think this is over, Gabe Newell :x
    You two are the wind beneath my wings.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • BEARDBEARD Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Videogame ideas!

Portal, except the orientation of your exit portal affects the direction of gravity. The goal is to fling yourself towards targets in a fluid manner; you must prepare the next target by creating an entrance portal on your current target and finding a suitable exit surface in-flight. It's like the cannon minigame in Pilotwings, except twitchy and spatial.

BEARD on
    edited January 2011

lemme know if you want me to send a resume your way. it's mostly collegiate work though.

please do

if you guys are serious about helping out, please to be sending portfolios and CVs to my screenname at gmail

Orikaeshigitae on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

45 minute checkouts

3 hour branch merges

never again

Hey, it could be worse.

You could be using ClearCase.

ASimPerson on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Arkham Asylum is an action brawler set in an asylum and the surrounding grounds. With Batman.

It's like comparing apples and spent uranium fuel rods.

Wait, are you saying this game isn't even going to feature Batman? Why bother

Really though, I am just joshing around

A detective game in a prison sounds cool and intriguing, possibly creepy

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you need a medical consultant, I'd be happy to help.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reach is pretty fun

But seriously what's the art style? I may be able to help with modeling.

VALVEjunkie on
  • animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

please do

if you guys are serious about helping out, please to be sending portfolios and CVs to my screenname at gmail

Cool, sent my resume your way

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Reach is pretty fun

But seriously what's the art style? I may be able to help with modeling.

it's gonna be stark and relatively realistic, although the colour palette is going to be more mirror's edge than call of duty

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have always wanted to learn a standard 3D packages as I like using structural CAD packages.

Blake T on
    edited January 2011
    ASimPerson wrote: »

45 minute checkouts

3 hour branch merges

never again

Hey, it could be worse.

You could be using ClearCase.

I *felt* like I was using clearcase. 4 years worth of revisions on three major J2EE application complete with web fronts including the graphic assets.

and I'm pretty sure there were some huge ass zip files in there good measure

Jasconius on
  • BEARDBEARD Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    *designing games so that the player still has agency to influence the narrative but it doesn't end up being a shallow mishmash of boring things to do and cutscenes a la just cause 2

Let me run this by you

Genre swapping.

You're the newest challenger in the underground world of Tokyo drifting. Tonight's race has gone to shit, and you're forced to jump a drainage canal, but you're outta nitrous and you might not make it. You hit the right bumper, and bam, suddenly you're an old west cowboy chasing down a stagecoach. The canal's now a dry gulley, and you ride your horse down into it. A mile later, you ride out and hit the left bumper, and you've cut ahead of the race. Or maybe you hit the right bumper instead, and you've navigated your space fighter out of the asteroid belt.

But let's say you went back to Tokyo. The other racers are pretty pissed off after the race, and mob you back at the winner's circle. There's a dozen of them, but you switch over to the Michael Bay Action scene, where you can take on dozens of mooks with ease. Unfortunately, one of the rules of this world is that the bad guy captures the girl. Maybe if you had taken on group back in Tokyo Drifter land, she would have been safe. Or, maybe if you had just jumped the canal in the first place, they wouldn't have attacked you.

I loves me some branching pathways

BEARD on