As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

COD BLOPS: Emblem collage in OP, post your emblem for the next one!

• slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KSG video. 3.5" Magnum round fireball allows it to double as a flamethrower.

do want

so awesome. I'm still a little bitter that Infinity Ward neglected to include Frag-12 rounds as an attachment for the AA-12 in MW2.

also regarding Blops, I personally like very much what they've done to Second Chance. As far as the 74u goes, I'm betting the "minor tweaks" Vonderhaar referred to are either a nerf to the grip attachment, or not allowing you to Warlord grip + rapid fire anymore.

slurpeekilla on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Galil?

Best overall gun in the game. Hardline, Sleight of Hand, Hacker/Marathon.

Tac Mask Tac Mask Tac Mask

If you accidentally flash yourself a bunch, this is a good choice.

But no one you are fighting uses bitch grenades so it's kind of pointless.

Bitch nades? Really?

I use Nova gas a lot, but I run hacker instead of tac mask. Hacker lets me see equipment. I scan for claymores or motion sensors, then toss Nova towards it. Then I watch the exit. If possible, I mine one of the exits and watch the other one. It works pretty good for getting rid of campers.

Nova is also good for putting up a temporary barrier if you are getting flanked. It also works for objective games.

DouglasDanger on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

do want

so awesome. I'm still a little bitter that Infinity Ward neglected to include Frag-12 rounds as an attachment for the AA-12 in MW2.

also regarding Blops, I personally like very much what they've done to Second Chance. As far as the 74u goes, I'm betting the "minor tweaks" Vonderhaar referred to are either a nerf to the grip attachment, or not allowing you to Warlord grip + rapid fire anymore.

Because the AA-12 totally needed to be any more ridiculous.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Galil?

Bitch nades? Really?

I use Nova gas a lot, but I run hacker instead of tac mask. Hacker lets me see equipment. I scan for claymores or motion sensors, then toss Nova towards it. Then I watch the exit. If possible, I mine one of the exits and watch the other one. It works pretty good for getting rid of campers.

Nova is also good for putting up a temporary barrier if you are getting flanked. It also works for objective games.

Yes. They are called bitch grenades.

I'm sorry that you are offended by everything I say.

Wait.

No I dun care.

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2011

there's a clip from The Expendables I should probably post in response to this, but I'm too lazy to go to YouTube to look for it.

am I wrong for wanting an attachment that would let me shoot high explosive rounds out of a fully automatic 12-gauge?

slurpeekilla on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

do want

To be fair. All the shotguns in the COD games are horribly pathetic to their real world counter parts. 150 foot shots with a shotgun should be possible. The fact that most shotguns can't even cross the street in any COD is a horrible omission in reality in the name of "balance" In the MW setting the AA12 should be god of shotguns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdb_G2qqg7I

*edit*
    And the relevant alternative to the expendables clip

Psychotic One on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Galil?

Bitch nades? Really?

Yes. They are called bitch grenades.

I'm sorry that you are offended by everything I say.

Wait.

No I dun care.

I have never heard them called bitch nades before. You don't offend me, I just don't understand why you are such a sour puss. It sounds like you are actually pretty good at this game, but you complain a lot and seem grouchy.

Maybe some of our gripes will be corrected in patches and maybe some of them will be addressed in the almost certain sequel. How does the development cycle work on these COD games? I never played another COD game, so I don't know what to expect next. I also understand there have been some shake-ups in the developers department for COD.

DouglasDanger on
  • BinaryBinary Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sam Turret will get you a TON of points fast. This thing is going to chew Air Planes up and will drop all choppers in 2 shots. Lasts a good amount of time. In objective game types you put it behind you spawn and it will keep the sky clear.

This is quite possibly my favorite thing about BLOPS. No more having to bitch about how nobody else is shooting down air support. I really can't imagine not having this as one of my killstreaks until the end of time.

Binary on
    binary101010.jpg
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ElPresador called them Bitch Grenades. It is an apt term.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

there's a clip from The Expendables I should probably post in response to this, but I'm too lazy to go to YouTube to look for it.

am I wrong for wanting an attachment that would let me shoot high explosive rounds out of a fully automatic 12-gauge?

Picture the battlefield filled with terry crews using that AA-12. You spawn, you explode, rinse and repeat. It's good to look at but for a game, that would of been pretty annoying. It would be a noobtube on steroids pretty much.

Tridus1x on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait, you get stuff for Killstreaks.....?

Told you I was a noob.

Bloodshed on
    edited January 2011
    Tridus1x wrote: »

Picture the battlefield filled with terry crews using that AA-12. You spawn, you explode, rinse and repeat. It's good to look at but for a game, that would of been pretty annoying. It would be a noobtube on steroids pretty much.

oh I understand they would have been awful from a game balance standpoint. I just think they are awesome.

slurpeekilla on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Binary wrote: »
    Sam Turret will get you a TON of points fast. This thing is going to chew Air Planes up and will drop all choppers in 2 shots. Lasts a good amount of time. In objective game types you put it behind you spawn and it will keep the sky clear.

This is quite possibly my favorite thing about BLOPS. No more having to bitch about how nobody else is shooting down air support. I really can't imagine not having this as one of my killstreaks until the end of time.

I put them out and just say "Fuck your kill streaks" as it begins to wreck everything in the air. I also love that it will shoot down Valkarie missiles.

Psychotic One on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    Any tips for a newbie? For Hardware and perks, that is?
    I've only been at it 1.5 days so I'm like lvl 20 and haven't unlocked/bought much yet.

Ghost, Sleight of Hand, Claymore, Decoys. For weapons, try FAMAS suppressed w/iron sights, AKSU Rapid Fire, M60 Grip, Stoner63 Ext. Mags. For a secondary, run the Magnum w/speedloader, but swap it for any AK-47 or Commando you find laying around.

Recon Plane, Napalm Strike, Attack Helicopter. By the time you get bored of those, you will have won glories for your team and vast sums of XP and COD points for yourself.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • BinaryBinary Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I put them out and just say "Fuck your kill streaks" as it begins to wreck everything in the air. I also love that it will shoot down Valkarie missiles.

Yeah, I love how it takes the other side forever to even figure out that there's one up (usually). After the third "ENEMY SPY PLANE INCOMING SPY PLANE DESTROYED" cycle you'd think they'd catch on, but they usually don't (much to the benefit of my points total).

Binary on
    binary101010.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Ignore Zoku. Don't use Ghost. It only makes you worse because you depend on it to save you from shit.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    edited January 2011
    Also ignore Zoku when he says use a non-1911 secondary.

Also ignore the decoys at least until you know what you are doing. (and then probably continue to ignore them, we just smoked a team twice that was like 4 ghosts and all were using decoys. I think I got turned around once from a decoy and then went 2+:1 each game)

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2011
    Operation [DCOY] was very effective and surpassed all expectations with flying colors.

It did have some unintended collateral damage to the eardrum though.

Also yes, the Python is the shittiest secondary. 1911 Extended Mags or a Strela.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ASP. Fast switch, fast reload, and for some mental reason I can't explain it's the only pistol I can almost full auto on the trigger.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Makarov, capitalist swine.

Mechanical on
    edited January 2011
    ITT diversity and opinions! Hooray!

Also, Tuba, it's because it's the only pistol with a 937.5 RPM fire cap instead of 650 or something.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Next patch in QA
    Second Chance gets a scoring overhaul.

If you shoot the guy and he falls into Second Chance you will get the +100 (in TDM) and kill credit. You don't get this if the guy is revived. You get it if: (1) you finish him off (2) he takes Coward's Way Out (3) he "times out" and dies anyhow or (4) a teammate finishes him off.
    If a player is already in Second Chance and you finish him off, you get an Assist and the appropriate credit.

Many community members expressed that they felt "cheated" out of a kill if they dropped someone into Second Chance and a teammate got the kill. In my opinion (which does not necessarily represent the views of Treyarch or every Treyarch developer), if you feel this way you might be taking the game just a little too seriously.

This might have unintended consequences. Perhaps more people will leave guys hanging around in Second Chance. Maybe this will be a problem. Maybe it will benefit Second Chance users. We will see. In the end, we were willing to do this because it doesn't impact how Second Chance works in any significant way.

Additionally, Second Chance users are going to get blown to bits if they die by a shotgun blast. You will not fall into Second Chance. It works the same way it does if you die by a headshot. This might be going too far, but it's something we talked over at length and are willing to try.

The RC-XD has had its top speed and maximum damage reduced. Not much, mind you. Flak Jacket users will survive an RC-XD attack way better than someone without Flak Jacket. However, it won't make you completely immune.

The AK74u also gets some minor tweaks.

Some members of the community expressed that it is the combination of attachments such as grip + rapid fire that present the real problem.

To take Warlord you have to give up Steady Aim or Sleight of Hand (among others). That's two very popular and powerful Perks, if you are an AK74u user. Trade-offs are part of the game design.

The game stats allow us to evaluate the reality of how weapons are used and cut through the perception or emotions. We've started to use those stats to help us analyze the reality. It's early days. We have to think carefully about how it informs our decisions.

As frustrating as the AK74u conversation was for many people, I learned some important things from it. It was a really good reminder how I take for granted how the game works and what is technically feasible. Let me give you an example:

Some gamers said to me, "Why don't you dial back the fire rate on the Rapid Fire version?"

This seems like a completely reasonable suggestion, unless you know how the engine (and Rapid Fire) technically works.

The community provided many suggestions that seem completely reasonable, unless you know how the engine works. Responding to dozens, if not hundreds, of suggestions with an explanation of why they are not practical isn't something I could realistically do.

I don't want this to dissuade us from having a dialog, but I need to think carefully about what topics can realistically be asked about.

Gameplay tuning is a fickle beast. One man's perfect is another man's nightmare. I don't think it's perfect, but it is far from a nightmare. It's the most popular online shooter. If it was horribly unbalanced, unfair, or completely unfun - it wouldn't be.

Finally, I am fully aware that these are not the only game play issues on the minds of the Black Ops community at large. Many are being considered; some will not. When and if it becomes appropriate to discuss them with you, we will.

We remain committed to making small game play tweaks to the game. We've tweaked Snipers as a whole. We've tweaked Knifes. We will tweak Second Chance, the RC-XD, and even some guns.

After all that is done, and we feel comfortable that we haven't made things worse in anyway, we will figure out where to go next.

Fans should remain optimistic, but realistic. Over a million people play the game every day. 99% of them we will never get the opportunity to hear from directly the way we do from forum, Twitter, or Facebook users.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar

Please tell me this is coming to the PC via patch, too

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
    edited January 2011

Any of the automatics are pretty well on par with each other, so yeah.

Mechanical on
    edited January 2011

Also, Tuba, it's because it's the only pistol with a 937.5 RPM fire cap instead of 650 or something.

Oh! I thought all the pistols' fire rates were as fast you could fire. Makes sense then, and it further explains my love affair.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    edited January 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »

The AUG is on par with the Galil?

:shock:

:lol:

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey dudes. I don't have Blops yet. :(
    Last year I got MW2 from my secret santa, so I didn't even have to worry about it. I may look for it on sale soon to pick up...
    Is everything in it good? Or are the javelin glitches and the like?

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I liked the Galil before it was cool.

8-)

Dragkonias on
    edited January 2011
    I hated the Galil before it was cool.

:smug:

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2011
    Last year I got MW2 from my secret santa, so I didn't even have to worry about it. I may look for it on sale soon to pick up...

There are no gamebreaking bugs, glitches, or balance issues. There are subtly overpowered weapons such as the Galil and AKS-74u but other than those and the occasional bullshit that is present in every CoD, it is a very solid game and they are actively working to make it better.

And I think Mechanical meant handguns when he said automatics, woops. The CZ-75 is better in most situations but since all of them do 20-40 besides the Python, it really does come down to preference. John Moses Browning happens to be Jesus so the 1911 is the natural choice.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

There's no bullshit like javelin glitches, care-package glitches, Danger Close/OMA grenade launchers, et cetera. The stuff we hate is in all honestly mostly tame, but you see it a lot. And by a lot I mean every single game by almost everyone on the enemy team. These include one or more of the following: Ghost (and camping), Second Chance, AK74U, and hideous tiger camo painted on their guns. You will often die to someone that has a horse fucking a gorilla, rabbits having sex, a guy jerking off a horse, or a swastika as their emblem, too, in addition to the above.

Basically, you just get mad at the unoriginality and immaturity of the human race. There's not a of variety to be seen in Black Ops, and while that's probably true in the other games, as well, it just seems more pronounced here. I will admit that that may just be in our heads as we're currently playing Black Ops and not the previous games, but it doesn't stop those things from being any less annoying.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited January 2011
    Dashui wrote: »

There's no bullshit like javelin glitches, care-package glitches, Danger Close/OMA grenade launchers, et cetera. The stuff we hate is in all honestly mostly tame, but you see it a lot. And by a lot I mean every single game by almost everyone on the enemy team. These include one or more of the following: Ghost (and camping), Second Chance, AK74U, and hideous tiger camo painted on their guns. You will often die to someone that has a horse fucking a gorilla, rabbits having sex, a guy jerking off a horse, or a swastika as their emblem, too, in addition to the above.

Basically, you just get mad at the unoriginality and immaturity of the human race. There's not a of variety to be seen in Black Ops, and while that's probably true in the other games, as well, it just seems more pronounced here. I will admit that that may just be in our heads as we're currently playing Black Ops and not the previous games, but it doesn't stop those things from being any less annoying.

TL;DR, 12 year olds are stupid geese and everyone is a douchebag.

Same as any other Call of Duty. You left out KKK emblems where they lynch black dudes, though.

Second Chance is honestly the only "fucking bullshit" besides maybe the silly knife radius.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • HibernusHibernus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a sneaking suspicion the extra ADS range on the AK74 has something to do with how overpowered it is...

Hibernus on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »

The AUG is on par with the Galil?

:shock:

:lol:

Nope.
    It's better :wink:

PaperLuigi44 on
  • HibernusHibernus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Only because the AUG counts as +3 when wielded by an Australian

Hibernus on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hibernus wrote: »

:^:

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited January 2011
    And I think Mechanical meant handguns when he said automatics, woops.

Yep.

Mechanical on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ignore people who tell you not to use the good perks and weapons because they want to farm you for kills.

Like any FPS, there's shit in Black Ops that works, and shit that doesn't work. If you're trying to make it to Level 50 without dying of sheer frustration, and simultaneously not lowering yourself to the level of the exploit-abusing troglodytes who pollute the game's online community, you're going to need to incorporate a bit of both.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    edited January 2011
    Hibernus wrote: »

Check the denkirson stat page. It's there.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think...I think I should stop playing until they nerf the Ak74 in the next patch. I'm just so tired...teams of AK74s and FAMAS have worn me down. It's just always Ghost + AK74/FAMAS...or it's Lightweight + Marathon + AK74/FAMAS. I always do well with the first couple of games, but their sheeplike bullshit just makes me lose my cool, eventually causing me to fuck up. That makes me more pissed, and it just spirals down from there.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited January 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I think...I think I should stop playing until they nerf the Ak74 in the next patch. I'm just so tired...teams of AK74s and FAMAS have worn me down.

I just ignore the kill feed and skip the killcam immediately. That way you rarely find out what killed you and don't get mad about it.

Can't ignore Ghost though. I always know.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png