As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 1-12-11: A Mighty Avenger reaches Valhalla

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Graphic Violence
Sadly, Thor: Mighty Avenger #8, it had no time to set up a real ending to the series so it kind of just ends. Almost as weak of an ending as Great Ten. But Samnee's redesign of the first Iron Man suit is really nice, and a good issue nonetheless and a nice thank you page at the very end of the issue:

Iron Man goes to help out Thor at the request of Pym, and his armor gets hacked by the head baddie who commissioned all those robots.

tma8a.jpg

Thor beats up the hacked Iron Man until he see Tony is in the armor, and chills out. They talk a bit:

tma8b.jpg

TexiKen on

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bravo, I say. Except for, you know, the whole being over part...

Hard to believe they wouldn't want extra Thor books on the shelf right now.

Linespider5 on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bravo, I say. Except for, you know, the whole being over part...

Hard to believe they wouldn't want extra Thor books on the shelf right now.

Eh, they'll still get extra trades out of it, which tend to sell better than floppies when the movies hit.

And I love the look of that Iron Man armor.

Hensler on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My MotW (haven't gotten to the store yet) is finding out that Landridge and Samnee are doing the Thor/Cap FCBD book this May:

fcbd.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Batman and Robin #19, Damian always lets you know what's on his mind:

br19a.jpg

TexiKen on
  • WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am digging the new (old?) Cap outfit. Even if it looks a bit too modern for the WWII-shield.

Wolfprint on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I haven't really had any memorable MotWs these past few weeks but the current arc of Justice League: Generation Lost has been pretty cool the past few issues.
    I've always liked the dynamic that Maxwell Lord symbolizes, and DC is really using the character's ressurrection to their advantage here.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The last page of Deadpool.

Kyougu on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Witch Hunter, please elaborate about where JL:GL has been going since Ice's origin.

Knight and Squire #4, since Bruce has an English butler, Cyril has an American butler, who looks like he might be from Dallas or someplace in the south. Also in this issue, giant jars of Marmite, awkward first dates, and a giant coin of the Queen of England. And a drunk Knight being told what for by Beryl.

bks4c.jpg

bks4d.jpg

Heroes for Hire #2 goes in a completely different direction than the first issue, and lot's of good stuff. Baron Brimstone, demon guns, a type of ammo that is called "damnunition", and some very good Brad Walker art. Like below:

hfh2c.jpg

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Witch Hunter, please elaborate about where JL:GL has been going since Ice's origin.
    Well, Max Lord is back and no one except Capt. Atom, Fire, Ice, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle remember who he is. He's hopping all over the world using decomissioned Checkmate Black-ops sites and hacking into their secret bank accounts to restart OMAC under his exclusive control. His actions have disgraced Checkmate and the UN has revoked its charter, and that leads us to this scene:

Genlost1.jpg
    Genlost2.jpg

He has also launched an attack on the JLI's Australian embassy using mind-controlled Creature Commandos lead by DC's Frankenstein, nearly killing Fire and kidnapping Blue Beetle in the confusion. They are able to track Blue Beetle and Max to Tokyo where Cpt. Atom, who is still a fugitive because Max Lord framed him for Magog's murder and the ensuing explosion which took a huge chunk out of Chicago, is promptly tackled and beaten down by another metahuman Max Lord has been able to use his powers on.
    Genlost3.jpg
    Genlost5.jpg

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, Thor did not deserve to go out like that.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited January 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    The last page of Deadpool.
    But . . . she got ice cream without him.

Just finished it. Draculas man, draculas everywhere.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can't Captain Atom radiate Red Sun Radiation? And also has Kryptonian level strength?

So isn't it really an exercise in futility for Power Girl to try and take him on?

Solar on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wiki seems to say that his strength is just below Superman's, so sub-Kryptonian; as for the radiation thing, I think that's a new thing for him so I don't know.

Wildcat on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought so on the red radiation.

Remember when max lord did this last time. Blue beetles and mind controlled krytonians?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Captain Atom's one of those characters whose power level and abilities change depending on the writer, to go along with his backstory being as convoluted as Hawkman's. At one point he's been able to take down Superman hand-to-hand without red sun radiation, and did the same thing to Majestic in the Wildstorm universe, who I'd say is about equal to Superman. But then he's had trouble fighting Batman and other non-metas. Just depends on the writer, but I don't think he's shown many radiation powers post-Countodwn/Worldstorm.

Hensler on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i dunno. if someones major strategy is punch you really hard its easy to go toe to toe assuming there isn't a huge discrepancy in power level assuming you can pull off a better strategy

where as someone with only a little tactical awareness is going to get their ass handed to them by someone who can strategerize and compensate for power differences

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mts wrote: »
    i dunno. if someones major strategy is punch you really hard its easy to go toe to toe assuming there isn't a huge discrepancy in power level assuming you can pull off a better strategy

where as someone with only a little tactical awareness is going to get their ass handed to them by someone who can strategerize and compensate for power differences

That only takes you so far. Characters that can withstand nuclear blasts aren't going to be bothered by Batman any more than I'd be bothered by an especially strategic ant.

CJG on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CJG wrote: »
    mts wrote: »

That only takes you so far. Characters that can withstand nuclear blasts aren't going to be bothered by Batman any more than I'd be bothered by an especially strategic ant.

What if it was an ant that was bitten by a radio active human?

Caveman Paws on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Amazing Spiderman was great. Nothing stupendous, but I just loved everything about it.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What if the ant had time to prepare?

Langly on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Amazing Spiderman was great. Nothing stupendous, but I just loved everything about it.

ANTI-METAL SPIDER BOMBS

Furu on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Furu wrote: »
    Kris_xK wrote: »

ANTI-METAL SPIDER BOMBS

I'm just happy someone at Marvel remembered that Spidey's supposed to be a genius. Even if it means we get a lot of one shot gizmos we'll never see again (like the anti-metal spider bombs, which would be effective against like 80% of his rogues gallery)

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I mean they did go so far as to state it was for that vibranium and worked on some inverse relationship - they could argue that it only works for the properties of that made-up metal. That and comics.

cardboard delusions on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nah, anti-metal's been around for years. It works on everything.

Furu on
    edited January 2011
    I don't think Red Star radiation is as debilitating to Kryptonians as kryptonite is. Using it probably adds strength to Cpt. Atom's punches, but it would probably take a lot of exposure to take down a Kryptonian who has constant access to yellow solar radiation. Superman was able to survive going through an actual Red Star in Infinite Crisis after all.

But Hensler's right, a lot of it does depend on how the writer bases a character's limitations.

Witch_Hunter_84 on