As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tactics Ogre | LuCT remake with Matsuno [PSP] NA/EU Release Confirmed! | TGS Trailer!

• Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Goddess questions didn't do much but hey I liked it as an intro.

Yeah they must be creating more branches for the World system to get much use.

Joule on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »
    ogre28.jpg

Heh. There's that "enemy gets 9 moves in a row thing" that leads to broken controllers. That doesn't even seem to include the golems either, who will also probably SWARM.

That's "your team gets to move" then "their team gets to move". Same as any other TBSRPG.

Only time I've seen 9 moves in a row was in the original Tactics Ogre, when I killed my highest level generic character, then ressurected him as a zombie, then ressurected that zombie as a L1 generic (with 50% stats). He had like a WT of... 0. Nothing got to move, at all.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's a baffling screen.

It clearly says WT right there, and other screens have shown the same thing. Tactics Ogre didn't have complete turns, so it would be strange to change that now. In fact, there would be no reason to have a turn indicator if each player moved their characters all at once.

However, all the enemy characters are in a row like that. That happened a fair bit in the original game, and was the most dangerous thing the CPU had going for it. The reason it happened was because most of the enemy characters had the same equipment and they were all the same level. So if they had 2 or 3 archers all wearing the same gear then they would all take turns at the same time, allowing them to effectively kill most single characters before the player could do anything about it. The strategy was always to break up unit combos like that by giving them different targets or delaying one in some way. Most melee characters could take 3-4 shots before they went down, but casters had trouble surviving 1.

However! I can explain that shot. First, none of the enemy golems show up on the turn screen. That's because they've all moved and they're slow as balls. That particular stage is an attack on a fortified castle, and while the golems start out front, most of the other enemies are way in back on the battlements, which means they take 2 or 3 turns to even get in range of the fight. What's happened is that they've all moved and then taken no second action, which ups their WT and brings them all closer together. Because the player's characters have moved and attacked their WT is much lower.

Simple.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    TGS trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf3KxVIr3kA

Pretty spell effects! Also I like how the map view changes to a overhead view.

Music is so nostalgic~

c20100917_tactic1_02_cs1w1_640x480.jpg
    That is a pretty awesome shirt.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    A tracer arc for ranged attacks.

It's about time.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cam footage of the gameplay from TGS
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-10-tactics-ogre/704863

The game looks pretty fast.

Joule on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Check out this pretty neat contest they're doing: http://na.tacticsogregame.com/missionhq/mission1/

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The prizes are lame, seeing how I already own both FFT PS1 and FFT PSP.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I kinda wish they'd gone and redone the sprites to the beautiful FFT style sprites rather than use squatty SNES/GBA looking ones.
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Hug in the Shade

Still waiting for Tactics Ogre: Fat Bottomed Girls

Delzhand on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ogre Battle: In the Court of Ming the Merciless

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Joule wrote: »
    Looks like the release of the Japanese version of the game will be 11/11/2010. Hopefully we get a lock on the other regions soon.

Also their preorder edition gets a snazzy 22 tarot card deck.
    2iw9b21.jpg
    I hope there's a similar bonus for other regions as I quite liked the tarot cards designs in the games.

I don't usually A) preorder or B) buy from Gamestop, but I had an X-mas gift card I needed to use, so I preordered this. Is Gamestop usually pretty good about delivering on non-dlc preorder items? Please say yes, I love this artwork.

Looks like it ships on 2/15. FFT is one of my favorite games ever, and I've played just enough of the original TO to see the influence it had on FFT, so I'm pretty excited for this.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I don't usually A) preorder or B) buy from Gamestop, but I had an X-mas gift card I needed to use, so I preordered this. Is Gamestop usually pretty good about delivering on non-dlc preorder items? Please say yes, I love this artwork.

Looks like it ships on 2/15. FFT is one of my favorite games ever, and I've played just enough of the original TO to see the influence it had on FFT, so I'm pretty excited for this.

In my experience they're usually okay on delivering preorder goods but I've had a bad experience or two here and there (like when I didn't get a P4 artbook).

Man I haven't updated this thread in awhile. I'll have to look into doing that or just make a new one for the release of the game.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Info has been pretty scarce, other than a bit of gameplay and a few screenshots. I don't know why S-E isn't promoting the shit out of this game, considering the everlasting and unfathomable love for FFT.

Actually, found this preview.

Some interesting things:

- The new character is named Dame Ravness Loxaerion and seems to be taking up a role similar to Lans (White Knight), though more active.
    - Main use of the tarot cards in battle seems to be Chariot, which stores your last ~50 turns and allows you to rewind to any of them.
    - Sprites are the same, spell effects and backgrounds have been prettied up. There's still no rotating camera (thank god), but you can get an overhead view of the map.
    - There are now skill points to earn, don't know exactly what they're for. Probably to differentiate each unit, see next point.
    - Experience points are shared, and possibly shared across classes instead of individual troops. Maybe a mix between the old system and Valkyrie Chronicles? That would make expendable troops more expendable; if you lose a lvl 10 Knight you could just recruit a new one. On the other hand, unique classes would be even more valuable.

So if this system works like it seems to, you can recruit a unit and it will have the basic level of whatever class it is, but you can still earn skill points while fighting to make them more unique.

Could be neat.

Also, the music is all new orchestral recordings of the original soundtrack.

It seems like the way I described it is probably right:

4384SS_0230.png

This is the new hiring screen. So you pick a unit, then pick which class you want them to be. All the available classes have their own levels. Curiously, it seems that there are only the basic classes there. Maybe you still have to level up the characters into the the more advanced classes? Or could just be a second screen that hasn't been unlocked yet.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think for the WT screenshot, the player had already moved 2 characters so they show up after the entire opposing team on the queue.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I am once again very excited about this game. Even the new English script doesn't seem as obnoxious as WotL's.

Further investigation reveals that there are probably a bunch of new classes besides the new Rogue.

And you need class change cards of some sort to switch a unit from one class to a (probably) more advanced class.

No more quick levelling archers into witches so that can actually hit something? Maybe they'll just make status spells not depend on dex.

Found a new video that shows the new English VA intro. Lot's of new stuff there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BDbgs3tAGw

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Good stuff page- was going to post some of that.

Something else of note is that there'll be free dlc that offer extra scenarios which are new stories that flesh out the game some more. They can only be played after you clear certain conditions in the main game.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Looking at that video, I was right about the classes.

There's no longer any EXP gain for actions, you only get EXP and skill points after the battle. Classes that participated get EXP, characters that survived get skill points.

Changing classes doesn't seem to have stat requirements anymore, you just need the right class change card. I'm assuming alignment will still matter.

Interestingly, you can still reroll recruits to get better stats. So even if you just recruit 5 level 10 Knights, they'll all be different. And it will still be possible to level witches as archers, berserkers as ninjas, and whatever else. Which is nice.

It also showed that the Chariot card rewind system actually stores the different branches of the battle, so you can go back and look at different outcomes.

Also, NA release date is Feb. 15.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    Info has been pretty scarce, other than a bit of gameplay and a few screenshots. I don't know why S-E isn't promoting the shit out of this game, considering the everlasting and unfathomable love for FFT.

Actually, found this preview.

Some interesting things:

- The new character is named Dame Ravness Loxaerion and seems to be taking up a role similar to Lans (White Knight), though more active.
    - Main use of the tarot cards in battle seems to be Chariot, which stores your last ~50 turns and allows you to rewind to any of them.
    - Sprites are the same, spell effects and backgrounds have been prettied up. There's still no rotating camera (thank god), but you can get an overhead view of the map.
    - There are now skill points to earn, don't know exactly what they're for. Probably to differentiate each unit, see next point.
    - Experience points are shared, and possibly shared across classes instead of individual troops. Maybe a mix between the old system and Valkyrie Chronicles? That would make expendable troops more expendable; if you lose a lvl 10 Knight you could just recruit a new one. On the other hand, unique classes would be even more valuable.

So if this system works like it seems to, you can recruit a unit and it will have the basic level of whatever class it is, but you can still earn skill points while fighting to make them more unique.

Could be neat.

Also, the music is all new orchestral recordings of the original soundtrack.

It seems like the way I described it is probably right:

4384SS_0230.png

This is the new hiring screen. So you pick a unit, then pick which class you want them to be. All the available classes have their own levels. Curiously, it seems that there are only the basic classes there. Maybe you still have to level up the characters into the the more advanced classes? Or could just be a second screen that hasn't been unlocked yet.

The original game was pretty terrible in terms of "uniqueness" for individuals of a given class, especially since most classes had no actual abilities beyond whatever spellcasting. I hope this is what it sounds like, as it'd probably make me really like the game.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It was all down to stats in the original. The stats you gained from levelling were permanent, which was pretty important for how each character developed. You couldn't suddenly switch a knight to a wizard and expect them to do anything, and you'd benefit greatly if you trained your slow units as ninjas, so they could actually move once and a while. It was pretty important.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I can't see Warren Moon's name without thinking football, and I know precisely jack shit about football.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Box art
    s36b4.jpg

Joule on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ew.

But it's alright, I guess.

Not my cup of tea.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Slight nit-pick

Lans was a Paladin, Guildus and Mildain were White Knights

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Was just trying to make the distinction between that Lans and the other one. Didn't remember that he was something different. Paladin it is!

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I just have a good memory for stupid stuff like that :P

Maddoc on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What do they call it when people jump out of a plane and make that circle while they fall? Because that's all I can see the cover as.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sorry, all I see is foxy ladies in elbow gloves and knee high boots.

Edit: For all the other Sakimoto fans out there: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E8E88A54CE605B87

Delzhand on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fun fact: they edited the girl with the blue leotard to have stockings. In the original, her legs are bare. (I maintain box art threads, I notice these things.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Sorry, all I see is foxy ladies in elbow gloves and knee high boots.

Edit: For all the other Sakimoto fans out there: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E8E88A54CE605B87

People that aren't Sakimoto fans aren't really people. Nor can I imagine they'd be in this thread. Awesome SRPGs and Sakimoto pretty much go hand in hand.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Fun fact: they edited the girl with the blue leotard to have stockings. In the original, her legs are bare. (I maintain box art threads, I notice these things.)

That seems like an odd edit when you consider that Deneb's ass is right there

Maddoc on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well obviously they realized that stockings are better.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This soundtrack is fucking huge. (fake edit: It's 3 tracks longer than FFT at 75) I'll admit that so far it doesn't seem to have as many standout pieces as FFT, but I'm more than willing to admit that maybe FFT has so many standout pieces because I associate them with gameplay, like Battle on the Bridge and Under the Stars.

There are still some real gems, though. Impregnable Defense from March of the Black Queen has been remixed, Three Kings is top notch (reminds me of his BoF:DQ work for some reason).

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Before!

51rgrSTbEZL.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh her. I thought it was the lady top-left, since she's already just a slight breeze away from a panty-shot. Of course, the one who got changes apparently isn't wearing any. It's made funnier by the fact that the high res wallpaper on the official site has her bare-legged anyway.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Leggings, no leggings it's all good.

Preordered the game today. Now I just have a month to get a psp. Hurray.

I'll look into crafting up a new thread for the release of the game as well.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/classes-tactics-ogre/709295

Classes and narrative showing on gametrailers.

Wow it seems like even the non human units like skeletons and birdmen have a few variations of classes.

The World Tarot looks pretty well laid out.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wow. That's fantastic. There's a lot of features in that video that I've already planned for in my game that I'm glad to see developers using (I'm not taking credit, this is stuff RPG devs should have been doing for every game since the PS era, also holy fuck do I need to update my sig). The ability to replace any scene, alternate story paths, etc. One thing that I love is the idea of anchor points - I don't know exactly how they work, but it looks like you can replay the game from certain points. I'd love to pick up FFT and start a new game from chapter 2, just to bypass the early slog.

At about 4:20 in that video, it seems like the guy is really, really having a hard time explaining the titles without using the word "achievements", because that's basically what they are.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The anchor points seem obvious enough. There are points in the game where you can make decisions that will change which stages you do next, which characters join you, things like that.

You can see from the overall progression branches that the 3 main alignment routes through the game are intact. The titles he earned back that up. And, true to form, they're completely pointless. Why do they bother putting them in the game if you just earn them by doing what the game forces you to do.

What's nice to see is that some of the unique characters are getting class choices, even if they'll only mean different stat progressions. Canopus will benefit a lot from that. I know everyone just gives him a bow anyway. And hopefully it'll help for those who get the skeleton or ghost early to meat shield, because if they get levels and skill points just for being in the battle (even if they spend the whole thing dead), that will help them stay useful past the first chapter.

Classes are still locked by alignment, just have to wonder why they've kept the Terror Knight as the C class, even though C is obviously the least evil of the different paths.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Man, that's a lot of awesomeness I didn't know about. So excited, though it means I need to finish up the books I'm reading since I'll end up just playing this at night as soon as it's out.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    Canopus will benefit a lot from that. I know everyone just gives him a bow anyway.

Classes are still locked by alignment, just have to wonder why they've kept the Terror Knight as the C class, even though C is obviously the least evil of the different paths.

Ptf. My Canopus uses a spear and only a spear. Besides it's not like I didn't have enough archers as is.

I don't see why they would change Terror Knight's required alignment.

Joule on