As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rifts - Chapter 1 : BAH! The Midwest!] Release the Kraken!

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cyber-Knight is almost tempting. A strange exotic warrior-princess beholden to a code of honor no one understands…hmm.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do yourself a favor and play an Amazon Cyber Knight. Especially if you're not planning on going the power armor route.
    Attributes: I.Q. 3D6, M.E. 3D6+4, M.A. 3D4, P.S. 3D6+10,
    P.P. 3D6+8, P.E. 4D6+4, P.B. 3D6+6, Spd 6D6. Supernatural
    strength and endurance.

Inflicts 4D6 S.D.C. on a restrained
    punch, 2D6 M.D. on a full strength punch or kick and 4D6 M.D
    on a power punch.

M.D.C.: 3D6X10 plus 2D4 per level of experience; becomes an
    M.D.C. being on Rifts Earth and in other mega-damage environments.
    Can also wear body armor or power armor.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Someone play a vagabond cook!

Octoparrot on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow I was going to work on my char in between classes but it looks like it will have to wait until I get home tonight.

It will involve Mecha of some kind though. Oh yes.

i am such a gearhead

3cl1ps3 on
    edited January 2011
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Someone play a vagabond cook!
    Flooper Vagabond cook.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited January 2011
    I would be kind of disturbed if my dude was the biggest badass in the party outside of power armor.

Still, Juicer. Whatchagonnado.

OptimusZed on

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    3clipse wrote: »
    Wow I was going to work on my char in between classes but it looks like it will have to wait until I get home tonight.

i am such a gearhead

You and me both 3clipse.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Matev wrote: »

i am such a gearhead

You and me both 3clipse.

Did you play ChromeHounds before people figured out how to break the game?

It was the most amazing mech game ever created (Steel Battalion comes close I guess).

3cl1ps3 on
    edited January 2011
    Did you play ChromeHounds before people figured out how to break the game?

It was the most amazing mech game ever created (Steel Battalion comes close I guess).

I played it, I didn't like it. I actually fell deeply in love with SB at PAX this year. I've started going to a Mechwarrior battlepod store locally to try and recapture the feeling.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011
    SB is a seriously incredible game.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited January 2011
    SB is a seriously incredible game.

It is raw sex. I tried snagging a control after PAX, but ended up only getting one without the foot pedals by accident. Kinda killed that buzz.

Back on topic: Boy, sure is technology in here.......

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright this is my first time.

Would there still be room for me?

I'd be willing to throw down a cyberknight or major psychic.

Either of those things would be welcome (or both rolled into one. :D)

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Question: When you say "monster", do you mind if we play stuff that was pretty much never intended for any role other then ~lets F' up the party?~
    I was eyeing a titan juicer murder wraith.

Alternatley, I can roll up a psychic If we have enough time. Or a mechanic.
    I love rifts. Take your balance and rational and shove it up your butt WotC! Eat shit you dramatic entusiasts at WOD!
    I'm a horrible person.
    And I love rifts.
    Siembieda%20Scream.jpg
    That's gonna be us!

Gaddez on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Good thing you put your Phalla on hold, Ender. What'd you get jailed for this time?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited January 2011
    Ringo wrote: »
    Good thing you put your Phalla on hold, Ender. What'd you get jailed for this time?

I won't know for sure until Elki gets back to me; her PM just said, 'Altery. What's with that?'

So, either I altered something in a post that I wasn't supposed to (have no idea what that would be), or she thinks I have a sock puppet (I don't).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Question: When you say "monster", do you mind if we play stuff that was pretty much never intended for any role other then ~lets F' up the party?~
    I was eyeing a titan juicer murder wraith.

Alternatley, I can roll up a psychic If we have enough time. Or a mechanic.
    I love rifts. Take your balance and rational and shove it up your butt WotC! Eat shit you dramatic entusiasts at WOD!
    I'm a horrible person.
    And I love rifts.
    Siembieda%20Scream.jpg
    That's gonna be us!

By monsters, I mean any sort of Dee Bee or sapient creature that has an 'Optional Player Character' tag. Things like Murder Wraiths don't really make for good player characters, at least not in the sort of campaign I intend to run (most Murder Wraiths are only puppets, for starters, controlled entirely by a Necromancer in the service of The Horseman of Death; the ones that aren't must still sustain themselves on torture & cannibalism); I'd probably be okay with it if we were just going to be a bunch of psychos running around, but a purely diabolical undead flesh eater won't fit the theme of heroic piracy very well.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Far too much technology indeed, you need a Doctor who can sense evil and magic and weather and make supernatural weapons out of plants.

I haven't finished rolling things (including psionics) but this seems a good start.

Athren Zentau
    True Atlantean Biomancer
    Alignment: Scrupulous Acceptor
    A tall man with long and wild dark hair, thin, sharp features and tanned skin. He is most commonly dressed in plain, plant woven clothing or a suit of insect like chitin.

IQ 16
    ME 15
    MA 13
    PS 16
    PP 12
    PE 22 +14% vs coma/death +4 vs magic/poison
    PB 13
    SPD 35
    15 16 13 11 11 19 13 19
    HP 23
    SDC 100
    HF 12

weight 170
    Height 6ft 2 inches

Age 23 (+800 year time warp)

PPE 84
    Psionics none
    Other rolls

Combat abilities
    3 actions per melee
    +0 strike (+1 with sword)
    +3 to parry (+4 with sword or bow)
    +3 to dodge
    +6 to roll
    +6 Vs HF
    +6 VS magic
    +4 vs posion
    +29% vs coma/death
    +4 vs biomanipulation
    +2 Vs psionics
    immune to physical transformation

Common True atlantean abilities
    Increase PPE recovery 10 per hour of rest 15 per hour of meditation
    Sense Vampires 1000 ft radius
    Operate dimensional pyramids
    Sense ley lines and nexus points
    Sense rifts
    Leyline Phasing

Biomancer OCC abilties
    Sense supernatural evil 1000ft +100 per level (automatic)
    Communication with plants and animals; 30% chance to calm enraged animals
    60 ft +10 per level (automatic)
    Healing touch 1d4 hp/sdc/mdc per level 3 times per day
    Gift of nature; provide a days meal 8 PPE
    Gift of peace; non-supernatual animals will never attack except in self defense including alien animals
    Create Bio-Weapons

Spell Knowledge
    Tatoo (right wrist): Heart pierced by a wooden stake 15 PPE 1 hour immune to conversion and mind control of vampires
    Tatoo (left wrist): Flamberg covered in fire 10 PPE 15 minutes magical 2 handed sword inflicting 3d6 MDC
    Weather Sense 24 hour weather report one mile 1 PPE
    Insect Leap 50ft distance jumps 10ft high jumps 5 PPE
    Weave Plants 3sqft of cloth or 5 MDC to wood armor 15 PPE
    Shape Plant 4 PPE
    Globe of Daylight
    Chameleon

Skills
    Language/ Literate Dragonese/elvish 98%
    Language/ Literate Spanish 98%
    Language/ Literate Faerie 98%
    Language American +10%
    Language Deamigog +10%
    Lore: Demons and monsters +15
    Lore Faerie +20
    Basic Math +10
    Holistic Medicine +10
    wilderness survival +15
    Land Navigation +10
    Track animals +10
    WP Archery and Targeting
    WP sword
    Hand to Hand basic

Biology +10
    Chemistry +10
    Pathology +10
    Medical Doctor +10
    Boxing
    Gymnastics

Pilot: exotic animal
    running
    Athletics
    Art

Equipment
    2000 cerdits
    4000 in valubles
    Wooden staff
    Light Chitin Armor 70 MDC regenrates 4d6 per day 1d6 MDC in hand to hand +1 to strike
    Wooden Sword 2d4 SDC or 3d6 MDC
    Bio-Energy Bow 4d6 MDC 900 ft 40 arrows / 25 PPE or 40 ISP

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Ender wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »

I won't know for sure until Elki gets back to me; her PM just said, 'Altery. What's with that?'

So, either I altered something in a post that I wasn't supposed to (have no idea what that would be), or she thinks I have a sock puppet (I don't).

Elki's a dude.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    I had a mutant bear Crazy that did 5d6 M.D. a hit with his claws on the home stretch, then my brain gave out.

Random Insanity: Phobia of Mutant Animals

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    I was wondering how long it'd take before a Biomancer or Biowizard showed up.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Thread needs more Temporal Raiders.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    Ahh, straight attribute assignment. I also forgot how physically exhausting it is to compile a character, lemme know if anythings off. Had to stop myself from giving the guy a N&S martial art. Also forgot the exact name of the demonic language.

Damon (Deimos) Trenton (Wormwood Immigrant, Anarchistic Mind Melter)

As a child, was part of a community that immigrated from Wormwood via rift and settled in North/Central America. His elders taught him a healthy respect and wariness of magic. Temporarily fell in with some Juarez gangs that espoused psionic superiority, where he gained the majority of his wealth and which greatly affected his worldview. Recently parted ways with them. Prefers to wear a set of light Dead Boy armor; the psi-stalker helmet's spikes have been filed down to round studs.

Attributes:
    I.Q. 12
    M.E. 14
    M.A. 9
    P.S. 24
    P.P. 12
    P.E. 17
    P.B. 12
    SPD 35

H.P.: 16
    M.D.C.: 51 (unarmored), 101 (deadboy armor)
    P.P.E.: 8

Attacks Per Melee: 3(2 from HtH: Martial Arts, +1 from Boxing)
    Strike: +1
    Parry: +3
    Dodge: +3
    Roll: +7
    Pull Punch: +5
    Disarm: +2
    Initiative: +3
    Damage: +9
    Vs. Horror Factor: +1
    Vs. Possession: +4
    Vs. Mind Control: +2
    Vs. Illusions: +3
    Vs. Magic/Poison: +1
    Vs. Coma/Death: +4%
    +3 on Perception rolls

Weapons:
    TK Machine Gun: 2D6 MDC/burst. Range 4000 ft. 80 bursts
    TW Modified NE-4P Plasma Cartridge Pistol: 1d4x10 MDC. Range 500ft. 2 shot capacity (refill by casting magic or psionic fireball)
    6 Wooden Stakes

Psionics: Master Psionic
    I.S.P.: 94
    Powers: Alter Aura (self), See Aura, Sixth Sense, Mind Block, Detect Psionics, Psychic Diagnosis, Exorcism, Summon Inner Strength, Meditation, Telekinetic Push, Telepathy, Sense Magic, Read Dimensional Portal, Pyrokinesis, Telekinetic Acceleration Attack, Radiate Horror Factor

Skills:
    Languages: American (89%), Spanish (85%), Demon (85%)
    Literacy: American (45%), Spanish (45%)
    Basic Math (70%)
    Pilot: Automobile (72%)
    Pilot: Motorcycle (74%)
    Streetwise (39%)
    Land Navigation (50%)
    Weapon Proficiency: Energy Pistol
    Lore: Demons & Monsters (40%)
    Lore: Magic (40%)
    Boxing
    Kick Boxing
    Running
    Gymnastics (not listing included skills)
    Athletics
    Prowl (35%)
    Hand to Hand: Martial Arts

Gear: (Either worn, or carried in the back of his vehicle) Backpack, utility belt, canteen, sunglasses, gas mask, knife, 1 week of rations, sleeping bag other personal items. Keeps a modest selection of extremely fashionable clothes and suits in his vehicle, along with 10 bottles of psi-cola.
    TW E-Clip Recharger (within 200 miles of a ley line, recharges up to 6 E-Clips per hour).

Vehicle: CS Citizen (70 MDC)

Universal Credits: 402150, (5000 in black market literature, drugs, and vids)

Octoparrot on
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I had a mutant bear Crazy that did 5d6 M.D. a hit with his claws on the home stretch, then my brain gave out.

I forgot my favorite part of character creation! Being driven insane by music.

Octoparrot on
    edited January 2011

Looking them back over, I can't believe we ever managed to actually play a Crazy in a real game. They have a half dozen insanities by the time they make it to mid levels, any one of which could turn out to be completely crippling.

Phobia: Loud Noises. Panic Attacks. Hysterical Blindness. The list goes on and on.

You're better off just rolling a Juicer and remembering that you'll need to reroll in 5 years of game time.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011

Looking them back over, I can't believe we ever managed to actually play a Crazy in a real game. They have a half dozen insanities by the time they make it to mid levels, any one of which could turn out to be completely crippling.

Phobia: Loud Noises. Panic Attacks. Hysterical Blindness. The list goes on and on.

You're better off just rolling a Juicer and remembering that you'll need to reroll in 5 years of game time.

Naw that's when you merge with the Cosmic Forge.

Octoparrot on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How possible is it to play a character in Rifts that doesn't have wild and crazy shit implanted in him or growing in his brain? Can you play an assassin or hired gun who's just obscenely skilled with "mundane" weapons?

Rius on
    edited January 2011
    Rius wrote: »
    How possible is it to play a character in Rifts that doesn't have wild and crazy shit implanted in him or growing in his brain? Can you play an assassin or hired gun who's just obscenely skilled with "mundane" weapons?
    You can do it. There are lots of classes based around it, actually.

The problem is that there's very little granularity when it comes to "normal" combat abilities. You're either proficient with your weapon or you're not, and you get bonuses accordingly. So it doesn't really matter if you have only the most basic combat training and the guy across the street has been a merc for 2 years, if you're the same level and you both have the applicable Weapon Proficiency skill, you'll have the same bonus.

More "normal" people tend to get a little more in terms of mundane skill options than the Crazies, Cyborgs, Juicers, etc, though. That's kind of their one advantage. They might not be able to leap small buildings, fire a gun faster than the trigger can physically depress or set things on fire with their mind, but they might just be able to fix the car if it breaks down, perform first aid or possibly even read.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011

It's totally possible; if you want to play a Frank Castle like character, there's an entire book (Mercenaries) dedicated to the archetype. If you want a 'wild west' type, there's 3 books for you (Lone Star, New West and Spirit West). And if you really want to do something mundane, you can roll up one of many different kinds of peasants scattered throughout different rulebooks. YAY!

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011

The problem is that there's very little granularity when it comes to "normal" combat abilities. You're either proficient with your weapon or you're not, and you get bonuses accordingly. So it doesn't really matter if you have only the most basic combat training and the guy across the street has been a merc for 2 years, if you're the same level and you both have the applicable Weapon Proficiency skill, you'll have the same bonus.

More "normal" people tend to get a little more in terms of mundane skill options than the Crazies, Cyborgs, Juicers, etc, though. That's kind of their one advantage. They might not be able to leap small buildings, fire a gun faster than the trigger can physically depress or set things on fire with their mind, but they might just be able to fix the car if it breaks down, perform first aid or possibly even read.

Why read it when you can shoot the knowledge of out it?

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ((After careful review of my roleplaying resources, I find myself sadly short on Books that will let me construct truly insane ubers. So in absence of characters laden with insane numbers of bio-wizard and genesplicer mods I hope your willing to look the other way while I fudge the equipment section.

Also: I'm assuming we're starting at level one.))

Patty Forsana
    Race: Elf
    Height: 6'5
    Weight: 170
    Class: Operator
    Level: 1

IQ: 22
    ME: 14
    MA: 7
    PS: 16
    PP: 19
    PE: 9
    PB: 27
    SPD : 12

SDC: 25
    HP: 13
    PPE: 19

Racial abilities:
    Nightvision 60 feet

OCC Talents:
    Jury rig: lasts twice as long and takes half the time
    Find parts and components: Gets discounts on parts form lots of folks and is excellent at salvage work
    recognize machine quality: 66%
    Repair and soup up equipment/vehicles/structures: The crew of pimp my ride ain't got nothing on me.

Skills:
    Elven/dragonese 98%
    English 68%
    Techno-can 68%
    Literacy techno-can (Technically I don't start with a literacy but I can't have other OCC skills without it :?) 53%
    basic math 73%
    computer operations 58
    computer repair 48
    electrical engineer 58
    find contraband 54%
    jury rig 63%
    mechanical engineer 53%
    Pilot: Hover craft 73%
    Pilot: motorcycle 83%
    pilot: hovercycle 93%
    radio basic 68%
    sensory equipment 58%
    weapons engineer 48%
    WP blunt
    WP energy rifle
    hand to hand: expert

More skills
    robot mechanics 38%
    vehicle armorer 48%
    locksmith 48%
    hacking 43%
    Monster lore 43%
    robot electronics 48%
    Appraise goods: 48%

secondary skills:
    programming 38%
    wp energy pistol
    literacy english 38%
    WP heavy MD weaponry

Bonuses:
    Strike: +2
    Parry: +2
    Dodge: +2
    Attacks: 4
    Damage: +1
    Initiative: 0
    Perception: +2
    Roll with impact: +2
    Save vs. fatigue: +2
    Save vs. psi: 15 or better
    Charm: 83%

Equipment:
    Neural mace
    NG-45LP Long pistol (juicer uprisings PG 73)
    JA-12 Laser rifle (Juicer uprisings pg 76)
    WI-FT1 Plasma flamethrower (Juicer uprisings pg 76)
    Triax Commando scout armor with helmet (Triax and the NGR page 38, 77 MDC)
    Tool belt (with lots of tools)
    Work gloves
    12 flares
    200 feet of rope
    Protective goggles
    6 long e-clips
    3 short e clips
    8 extra grenades for the rifle
    air filter
    language translator
    Data recorder
    back pack
    Radio
    Stolen coalition warbird (Yup. I'm getting ballsy with this request. Coalition war campaign page 169)
    Tarantula combat bike (first vehicle in the Juicer uprisings book)

Gaddez on
    edited January 2011

Not enough lime.

There's no 'perks' for being really well trained with a gun (though, curiously, many of the different hand to hand styles come with lots of perks as you develop the skill). The gun-specialist types get a lot of up-front bonuses for shooting & range, but in practice, those bonuses will never really compare to what you get for being a Borg / Juicer / Crazy / Biowizard etc.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011

That strikes me as pretty odd, given this system o.O

Rius on
    edited January 2011

Not enough lime.

There's no 'perks' for being really well trained with a gun (though, curiously, many of the different hand to hand styles come with lots of perks as you develop the skill). The gun-specialist types get a lot of up-front bonuses for shooting & range, but in practice, those bonuses will never really compare to what you get for being a Borg / Juicer / Crazy / Biowizard etc.
    I guess there's always Sharpshooting.

And Sniper, if you're desperate.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    Stolen coalition warbird (Yup. I'm getting ballsy with this request. Coalition war campaign page 169)

Perfect! Gives me an extra plot hook.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011

That strikes me as pretty odd, given this system o.O
    Actually, Rifts is one of the last true bastions of non-granularity. You can't specialize in a weapon, you can't specialize in a skill, you can't specialize in anything, really.

Characters are differentiated via massive, earthshaking mechanical differences while the very basic things that they do over and over again are nearly identical for everyone.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011

Perfect! Gives me an extra plot hook.

Oh I could start getting crazy with the CWC book. I'm thinking, roll around in a modified Hellraiser.

Octoparrot on
    edited January 2011
    Hmm, well then. What about an assassin type character? Murderer and Thief For Hire? Heh.

Rius on
    edited January 2011
    Wow. 4 submissions.

We might actually be starting soon.

D:

It's okay. It'll be alright. This will be different than all those other times.

She never really wants to hurt me...

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Wow. 4 submissions.

We might actually be starting soon.

D:

It's okay. It'll be alright. This will be different than all those other times.

She never really wants to hurt me...[/b]

4? :(

Octoparrot on
    edited January 2011
    Hmm, well then. What about an assassin type character? Murderer and Thief For Hire? Heh.

Tons of assassins; there are even character classes specifically designed for hunting down other specific character types. There aren't many 'rogues' per say... in fact, off of the top of my head, I can't think of any dedicated thieves or rogues.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage