As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 Bands

BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
In case people didnt see news sites...

The list:
Jonathan Coulton
MC Frontalot
Metroid Metal
Paul and Storm
The Protomen
The Video Game Orchestra

Edit:
Adding press release
Press release:

PAX East Brings Gamer Music Back to Boston

BOSTON – Jan. 13, 2011 – After a highly successful first year, PAX East is bringing back some of gaming’s most popular music artists to Boston. The show runs Friday, March 11 through Sunday, March 13 at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center.

The celebration of all things gaming at PAX East will be highlighted by a wide range of music from hip hop to orchestral performances. The full list of acts includes:

Jonathan Coulton
MC Frontalot
Metroid Metal
Paul and Storm
The Protomen
The Video Game Orchestra

The music performances at the first annual PAX East were some of the best attended events at the festival.

“The first year reception to the music artists was phenomenal. We had packed crowds and had to turn a lot of people away at the door,” said Robert Khoo of Penny Arcade. “As long as we keep seeing that kind of passion and excitement we’re going to keep bringing the concerts back every year.”

The PAX East festival includes a wide range of gaming including pen-and-paper, tabletop, CCG, PC and console video games. Fans will attend panel discussions, concerts, tournaments and see the latest and future titles in a huge exhibition hall. PAX East launched in 2010 and brought in more than 50,000 attendees.

The pre-registration cost is $55 for three-day and $35 for single day passes. The passes are all-access for events, concerts, parties, panels and freeplay areas. PAX registration is at http://www.paxsite.com/paxeast/registration.php.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
BigRed on

• RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dang no Freezepop again. Hope they do another concert around PAX.

Rdr on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow, no Anamanaguchi? :( Oh well, they had a good run.

Also glad to be able to see VGO again, hopefully they have a larger orchestra this time. And I agree with Rdr, I'll try to ask them if they plan to do that again.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • KillerMcDeadKillerMcDead Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PROTOMEN! YES!

KillerMcDead on
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    8-bit frown for no Anamanaguchi.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Jim JonesJim Jones Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow, losing Anamanaguchi takes all the energy out of the pax concerts. Nice to see the Protomen in there though. They rocked the house last year.

Jim Jones on
  • daegandaegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I haven't seen this anywhere. But:
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Wow, no Anamanaguchi? :(

daegan on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nice. I only did the Saturday show last year - I may try to do both this time. I hope Metroid Metal means we get another attempt at Coultron - maybe not cut short this year!

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited January 2011
    Ya no Anamanaguchi makes me sad. But that all the bands that are playing are super amazing. The Paul and Storm followed by JoCo was seriously the best thing I've seen in a long time.

Rdr on
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I didn't go to any concerts last year (big mistake), so I plan on DEFINITELY going THIS year! I heard JoCo already has the Portal 2 song written and hoping he might play it....unless it spoils the game...and then I want to hear "Still Alive".

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    acumen101 wrote: »
    I heard JoCo already has the Portal 2 song written and hoping he might play it....unless it spoils the game...and then I want to hear "Still Alive".

I heard about him doing the Portal 2 song a while back so yeah that would be awesome. As far as Still Alive goes, as many times as I've heard it, it would be nice to have somebody like Felicia Day do the vocals again, because that was awesome.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So from last year, we lost Anamanaguchi but gained Protomen? I didn't go to the Friday concert so wasn't sure.

Heleor on
    edited January 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    So from last year, we lost Anamanaguchi but gained Protomen? I didn't go to the Friday concert so wasn't sure.

Just Anamanaguchi. Protomen rocked PAX East last year!

Rdr on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait, so who did we gain? Did we have 7 bands last year?

Heleor on
    edited January 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    Wait, so who did we gain? Did we have 7 bands last year?

Ya we did including Anamanaguchi.

We didn't gain anyone. We just just them. Same acts as 2010.

Rdr on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bad news, we lost Anamanaguchi (yes, that's a little upsetting to some fans in my traveling group).

Good news, one less band (though an awesome one at least) to play means more time for whoever on X day concert (note that X is a variable of questionable variableness).

AND MORE time if the Video Game Orchestra takes less time to setup and less time for us doing a drawn-out wave in every break formation ever known (though it was pretty cool).

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Any clue when bands will be playing each night?

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited January 2011
    My idea is to have as many people as possible shave their heads, paint their domes silver, and sit/stand/ROCK together during The Protomen set at PAX East. I will be doing this, provided the community response is high enough.

Will you stand with me, warriors of PAX? Will you stand with The Protomen?

Arco on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That sounds GREAT AND DEDICATED! But on the extremes for me :(

If anyone has something less extreme for JoCo or Paul and Storm, I'm open :3. Not cosplaying so I got options

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is that a Protomen thing? Cause I was just thinking about getting a helmet like this:

Bullard-Classic-Series-Full-Brim-Hard-Hat--6-Point-Ratchet-Suspension-_20090724855.jpg

and painting it to make it look like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUSsE9h6g8fBO-shURfj7HYpOdNg_e8LUh5P9JnnuF4ZyTRtXYlA

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
    edited January 2011
    Is that a Protomen thing? Cause I was just thinking about getting a helmet like this:

Bullard-Classic-Series-Full-Brim-Hard-Hat--6-Point-Ratchet-Suspension-_20090724855.jpg

and painting it to make it look like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUSsE9h6g8fBO-shURfj7HYpOdNg_e8LUh5P9JnnuF4ZyTRtXYlA

Yeah, silver face paint is a Protomen thing. Most of the band has it, and fans very frequently do it. The shaved head part is just to make it extra awesome.

Arco on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Also glad to be able to see VGO again, hopefully they have a larger orchestra this time. And I agree with Rdr, I'll try to ask them if they plan to do that again.

Anamanaguchi is playing here this Sunday for anybody in town ;)

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    arsonisfun wrote: »

Anamanaguchi is playing here this Sunday for anybody in town ;)

I will be there, I think I might ask them whats going on with that. I won't believe it until I see it on the main site. They're on tour atm, but it's also 2 months from now/one of their biggest venues. Also I was hoping I'd get to see Luke's Side stuff with Knife City (I think he was at Prime?)

Also, I'm glad everyone else is back. VGO needs to have an Encore ready so they don't end up playing Bombing mission twice (Not that it wasn't great, but I kinda facepalmed when it happened)

*EDIT* Don't get me wrong, I loved VGO. I still wear my VGO wristband that I got last year. = D

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • yanksrul5yanksrul5 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wow! no Powerglove...Boston natives and probably the best video game metal music ever. Probably not allowed cause it is metal.

yanksrul5 on
    edited January 2011
    yanksrul5 wrote: »
    wow! no Powerglove...Boston natives and probably the best video game metal music ever. Probably not allowed cause it is metal.

I love Powerglove and they'd be cool at PAX. Have you noticed that Metroid Metal is playing and is a huge hit?

Rdr on
  • yanksrul5yanksrul5 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Metriod Metal is really awesome but they aren't as super heavy as Powerglove is. I talked to Powergloves bassist about playing it and he said he was working on it but I'm not sure what happened there. Cause they only have a show at Magfest tommorow and then they open until April so timming can't be an issue.

yanksrul5 on
    edited January 2011
    yanksrul5 wrote: »
    Metriod Metal is really awesome but they aren't as super heavy as Powerglove is. I talked to Powergloves bassist about playing it and he said he was working on it but I'm not sure what happened there. Cause they only have a show at Magfest tommorow and then they open until April so timming can't be an issue.

I'm guessing something happened. Who knows though. They could always do a show somewhere around PAX during the weekend like Freezepop did last year. Maybe mention that to Nick. (I've met them a couple times when they played near me)

Rdr on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pretty sure PA handpicks bands. Maybe they didnt feel they would appeal to a large number of people or didn't like them or whatever. Theres likely a good reason :)

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited January 2011
    I love Frontalot but he needs to fire whoever mixes his live audio. The music needs to go down and his mic needs to go up. Here's to hoping they get the balance right this year so we can actually hear him flow!

Jim Jones on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Front doesn't hire somebody to mix his live audio, that's ALWAYS handled by the venue.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ScottyMoFoShoScottyMoFoSho Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I'm kinda shocked Anamanaguchi isn't on the list this year. Those guys and Penny Arcade introduced me to the chiptunes scene and I'm engulfed in it now.

I can understand keeping the line-up fresh, but why not at least put another chiptunes group/artist in the line-up?

ScottyMoFoSho on
    ScottyMoFoSho.png
  • wafflezombiewafflezombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Personally, I'm a little disappointed. I loved PAX East and the concerts last year, but I don't want to have the exact same concerts. Get a little variety in there. Take the opportunity to introduce people to new bands. The only suggestion I'd really have is I Fight Dragons, but I'm sure there's plenty of other awesome bands that would fit into the lineup.

wafflezombie on
  • Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm surprised at no Freezepop again considering they have a new album they are promoting -- maybe they are still on tour at the time?

Masquerade78 on
  • ScottyMoFoShoScottyMoFoSho Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Personally, I'm a little disappointed. I loved PAX East and the concerts last year, but I don't want to have the exact same concerts. Get a little variety in there. Take the opportunity to introduce people to new bands. The only suggestion I'd really have is I Fight Dragons, but I'm sure there's plenty of other awesome bands that would fit into the lineup.

I definitely vote for I Fight Dragons. They would get people jumping around for sure.

To be completely honest, I don't understand why Metroid Metal is still on the bill. They are awesome musicians, but since I'm not a fan of Metroid I can never get into their music. But that's me. With that in mind though, I feel like they meet a smaller audience than other videogame-related artists.

I guess I'm just a bit bitter because the only line-up change for this year was replacing Anamanaguchi with someone else, and Anamanaguchi was my favorite act from my first PAX experience at PAX East last year. But I'll still enjoy the bands this year regardless.

ScottyMoFoSho on
    ScottyMoFoSho.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm kinda shocked Anamanaguchi isn't on the list this year. Those guys and Penny Arcade introduced me to the chiptunes scene and I'm engulfed in it now.

I can understand keeping the line-up fresh, but why not at least put another chiptunes group/artist in the line-up?

gotta agree, aside from VGO i'm not too pumped for the other acts, but anamanaguchi or a similar band (starscream, oh please) would really give the show the energy it needs.
    the chiptunes sounds is amazing, and i hoped after hearing so much in PATV that it might mean some more bands for PAX

Local H Jay on
    edited January 2011

gotta agree, aside from VGO i'm not too pumped for the other acts, but anamanaguchi or a similar band (starscream, oh please) would really give the show the energy it needs.
    the chiptunes sounds is amazing, and i hoped after hearing so much in PATV that it might mean some more bands for PAX

There isn't much more energy to be had after The Protomen's set.

Arco on
    edited January 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Front doesn't hire somebody to mix his live audio, that's ALWAYS handled by the venue.

Yeah, I'm aware. It just sucks that you can hear JoCo so clearly but the Front is always inaudible. And it sounds so good on the dvds. I hope they sort that out this year.

Jim Jones on
  • ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was at the Anamanaguchi show in Boston this morning/last nigh (It was amazing). Talked to Pete (The guitarist). He said that they (Anamanaguchi) wasn't invited back this year. Didn't sound like he was too upset as his response to me being upset was "Hey. Maybe next year."

TBH I'm a bit concerned with the concerts if there will be no replacement for them. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the concerts last year. And as much as I would enjoy the live performances again, fresh material is a concern for me. Ironically, the one band with the most new material is the one not invited back:

Anamanaguchi - New album (Scott Pilgrim), All their summer singles (Minus My skateboard will go on since it was played at Pax last year), 3 new songs on their most recent tour which ended at the concert I just attended (all of which are awesome btw)

The Protomen - Haven't heard of any new material, but they could do more of act 1, or other parts of 2 they didn't play. Otherwise no new stuff.

Metroid Metal - Great, but No new material to my knowledge. And I bought Varia Suite last year. Wasn't much new music from other M

MC Frontalot - Has other stuff, most of the new stuff being from Zero day .but I imagine the classics will be used (PA Song, Bizarro genius baby, final boss)

VGO - I don't expect much, if anything new tbh.

Paul and Storm - Plenty of other material. IDK if anything will be new but id expect several of the fun songs again (opening band, captains wife's lament, etc)

JoCo - Also has plenty of other material. I Wouldn't mind seeing the zen drum again. Perhaps stuff from the Joco cruises?

Again, I enjoyed all the concerts last year... I just hope they aren't repeats from last year

/rant

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • Kirby PufociaKirby Pufocia Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ChronoHawk wrote: »

Metroid Metal - Great, but No new material to my knowledge. And I bought Varia Suite last year. Wasn't much new music from other M

We brought a new album to PAX West, and have had 2-3 new free releases on our site since then.

Other M sucked for music though, good call - we probably won't be doing much with it, but anybody who's been to a MAGFest show knows by now that we don't just do Metroid stuff anyway =)

Kirby Pufocia on
    Kirby Pufocia,
    metroidmetal.com
  • nitnitnitnit Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Any idea what order the bands will be playing in?

Also people shouldn't complain, I'd honestly play 35$ to see the Protomen alone.

nitnit on
  • Kirby PufociaKirby Pufocia Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    nitnit wrote: »
    Any idea what order the bands will be playing in?

Couldn't tell you the whole order, but JoCo always headlines his night, and Protomen are always first on their night (they do soundcheck last and just leave their gear on-stage to avoid having to spend a couple of hours moving it all around more than once - hopefully nobody thinks they play first because someone doesn't think they're good enough to headline, I'd be honored to open for those dudes).

Kirby Pufocia on
    Kirby Pufocia,
    metroidmetal.com