As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Glossolalia - in our dreams, we are the eldritch horrors

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    :^:

You hit the mark.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yesssssss

Antimatter on
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hoopadoopa

Cheeseliker on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Derelict map thus far:
    mapzxo.png

It's pretty barren as of right now! More islands will be added in as we go, by both myself and anyone who chooses to contribute some locales! For now we only have a few places that have been established in the game

the center island is obviously The Nation

The larger one in the bottom right is Ous, the island that Doon group is headed for

North of it is the Zealand Archipelago, home of the sand vikings

To the west of that is the Marsh.

The black line serves as a rough indicator of the border between Nation and Lockjaw territory. The Lockjaw Union looks smaller than it actually is due to foreshortening.

Speed Racer on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    that archipelago isn't north at all

north is up

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Carriders

Carriders

Overview:
    Carriders evolved a greedy lifestyle early on in their culture. They are naturally possessive, and by Earthterms, their entire history would be considered simple banditry through one form or another. They don’t look at it this way. Their history of banditry is a simple product of the harsh environment they inhabit.

Home Planet:
    Their world is known as Lot. When they first contacted the human race, this coincidental morphic resonance of language spread quickly even amongst the Carriders themselves. To own “a Lot” was to own an immense amount; to own almost too much. To, metaphorically, own the world.

Lot is, ironically, quite a small planet. It is roughly the size of ¼ of the United States of America on Earth. This fact added greatly to how the small communities Carriders formed. There was always too little space, and neighbors tended to encroach out of necessity and greed. Families grew fast to shore numbers in territorial conflict, and resources began to dry up fast.

Much of lot is desert, with an occasional lush oasis and opulent homestead. Fossil fuels are still in use for much of the surface traffic, with armored metallic open-topped vehicles traveling in long convoys to transport important officials, wealth, or similar. The planet is rife with banditry because most police forces don’t see it as much of a public concern. The wealthy can afford to protect their own goods, or at least hire others to protect them. Any resulting thefts are often seen as the victim not taking enough precaution and probably deserving it.

Culture:
    Culture on Lot varies, even with the small area. Different tribes and communities have their own customs and history and wars. Each tribe holds shaky alliances and everlasting feuds with its neighbors. Carriders not of the same tribe rarely share trust and will often attempt to betray or profit from one another, although this does seem to happen less out of maliciousness as a sort of general occurrence. Carriders are naturally capitalistic and see attempts to profit as one of the most natural things possible. A sort of moral code is present amongst Carriders, but it is hazy at best, being dependent on the individual or the tribe.

Government:
    Government and cities exist all over Lot, but most other cultures would regard these as more tribe-like or nomadic than resembling any form of concrete structure, even though they ARE stationary. The uncertain and often hostile state of Lot creates a lot of abandoned buildings. Public schooling is minimal, with more family-oriented and practical learning. Surprisingly, however, Lot and Carriders all over the galaxy enjoy a 99% literacy rate in as many languages as they’ve been exposed to. After all, you’re less likely to suffer under a counterfeit bill or shabby contract if you can actually read it.

First Contact:
    The race to space is one of the only community-oriented events to ever occur on Lot. The planet was slowly dying, being robbed of its resources and suffering from simply too many people. Carriders managed to create shaky alliances in order to pool just enough resources to reach the universe around them. They realized that wealth and luxury were indeed possible on Lot, but reaching the heavens held the promise of even greater chances of both. It also gave the added bonus of an extreme lesser chance of dealing with opposing tribes, and having much more places to escape to should things go wrong. Carriders, for the first time in their history, all spoke as one, albeit begrudgingly. They slowly gave up immense fortunes to research the heavens, and to build craft capable of touching the stars. Upon the very first successful contact with another species, the unity shattered almost overnight. Carriders resorted to their old ways and gladly collapsed back into their warring territories. It has become a regular rite of passage for a Carrider male or female to immediately leave the planet as soon as they had amassed enough capital to do so.

Current Situation:
    Currently, Carriders (Or The Carrider, if spoken unfavorably. “Carrider” has come to be almost interchangeable with “thief” or “bandit”.) operate all over the universe. Some hold a measure of power, but most suffer from an inability to save their money, choosing to spend and invest it in other ventures as soon as it obtained. Carriders are very often members of bandit organizations or criminal activity, although usually not associated with more violent activities without chance of any sort of adequate compensation. However, there is not much a Carrider will not do for wealth, but their own excuse for a moral code would ensure that SOME activities would carry with them an immense price tag. They do not go out for much in the way of culture or creative enterprise, this often being seen as too much work for not enough reward, when even simple thievery would pay off much better.

Appearance:

Carriders vary wildly due to their nomadic, spaced out, and adaptive nature. However they are almost always Bipedal, with two arms and two eyes. 4-7 feet tall. Hair is kept long to show a successful avoidance of prisons (Prisons on Lot shave inmates completely). Hair is usually close to red, but this follows function.

Carriders evolved to match their culture. Carriders are, very usually, quite attractive. They found that this made others much more willing to trade, to trust, to deal with, and to engage them for other services. Families bred for common concepts of beauty, and depending on the planet/area and its current popular “looks” or notions of beauty, Carriders may look somewhat different. Carriders will also often undergo surgery or other transformation to increase their appearances, as this will help their future prospects. Carriders are also often wildly colored for this reason.

All Carriders are tattooed, either obviously or in hidden areas, to identify themselves by clans and tribes. Even if a Carrider is without a tribe, they tattoo themselves to show this as well, and to showcase multiple other religious beliefs, goals in life, personality traits, even pictorial reminders of things they never want to forget or rules they live their lives by.

Carrider bodytype is anywhere from 4 feet to 7 feet tall due to current style and surgical enhancements. Males generally go for a more trim and masculine look, while females are often more petite and shorter. However, again, the form follows the function, and a Carrider’s job or goals often determines how they will look.

At birth, all Carriders are imprinted with eye rings from their families. These are 1-3 colored rings around the iris of their eyes. Whatever happens, A Carrider will almost always associate with their birth clan, and will never change these rings.

A little more to come on appearance when I draw it and decide on a few things.

(Picture soon as well)

I'm not sure about the finality, so I'm still messing with it, especially the appearance

Raneados on
  • Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah I was thinking

Northman kind of north

like arctic

e: and rane, that isn't a planet, that's barely an asteroid

what I'm saying is, it wouldn't hold an atmosphere

Shock G on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah 1/4 the united states is tiny, and it seems even smaller when you make it spherical

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited January 2011
    also my aliens are bureaucratic goo monsters

I wonder if they would get along

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shock G wrote: »
    yeah I was thinking

Northman kind of north

like arctic

does it need to be that level of realistic? I can always change it to either a larger planet or some other backstory, like a bigger planet, but then an intermediate step with living out of ships when their planet becomes too resource-starved

edit

reading up on it, it wouldn't matter the size if it was either further away from the sun or was dense, both would still hold atmospheres

Raneados on
    edited January 2011
    let's just say who cares

oh oh another idea

a race of giant sentient spiders with a mass obsession for building/inventing increasingly larger/more complex shit

as a result, the have to enslave entire races to work on their massive, Lovecraftian projects, but the other races don't give a shit or are too scared to give a shit because they are so far ahead technology-wise

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited January 2011
    drawwwiinnngggggg

man I have to flex my creativity bones

this dude needs some fucking STUFF

Raneados on
    edited January 2011
    LOL: so apparently pa-ers dont like when u are in a custom game and tell them to just fucking play cuz who gives a shit its an inhouse. jesus, bahamut was there and everything. I didnt even do anything wrong but i was kicked out. Arrogant assholes

Cheeseliker on
    edited January 2011
    wha

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited January 2011
    bla bla bla im drunk and trying to play league of legends but pa-ers got mad for some reason blahblahblah

that iswhat happened.

Cheeseliker on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Raneados wrote: »
    yeah I was thinking

Northman kind of north

like arctic

does it need to be that level of realistic? I can always change it to either a larger planet or some other backstory, like a bigger planet, but then an intermediate step with living out of ships when their planet becomes too resource-starved

edit

reading up on it, it wouldn't matter the size if it was either further away from the sun or was dense, both would still hold atmospheres

it's gonna be a thin atmosphere, but I could believe a race that can live in a low pressure + low gas environment

keep in mind that they're likely not adapted to "normal" gravity levels

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited January 2011
    I'll think on it while I doodle

are we drawing our characters or the species

Raneados on
    edited January 2011
    it would have to be made out of lead

mercury is a tiny planet, 1/4 of the US is microscopic

Shock G on
    edited January 2011
    shock you seem to have a severe hatred for this idea

did a tiny planet kill your father?

Raneados on
    edited January 2011
    it kills my belief in your dudes

it forces my head to scream bullshit at almost everything in their backstory

it's just too small

Shock G on
    edited January 2011
    you oughta make it a little bigger, Rane

your entire species is living on something that couldn't sustain an advanced civilization

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    See, my cousin's stay had me browsing on my cell-phone (which is shit for posting since it likes to delete text fields) and I couldn't post here. The threads continued without me and I remained too embarrassed to continue.

Muse Among Men on
    edited January 2011
    can do, no reason it had to be so small

dubh - are we doing a picture of the species or of our character?

Raneados on
    edited January 2011
    hey dubh is that spider species thing stupid y/n

because I am having ideas and I'm not sure if I should just stop thinking about it because it's dumb and I'm not getting in or what

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah I was thinking

Northman kind of north

like arctic

wait buh

wasn't them being in what's currently New Zealand your idea

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    oh, hah, I vastly overestimated the actual size of the US

yeah gonna fix that. 1/4 the US is way small

raneados you gotta remember

33erj28.jpg

Raneados on
    edited January 2011
    CHINA
    PART 2

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    I demand you continue to participate in this thread, Muse
    Raneados wrote: »
    can do, no reason it had to be so small

dubh - are we doing a picture of the species or of our character?

yes, you're all doing your own pictures- or finding someone else that can do one for you

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited January 2011
    let's just say who cares

oh oh another idea

a race of giant sentient spiders with a mass obsession for building/inventing increasingly larger/more complex shit

as a result, the have to enslave entire races to work on their massive, Lovecraftian projects, but the other races don't give a shit or are too scared to give a shit because they are so far ahead technology-wise

and this is definitely a start, Tommy

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited January 2011
    okay I'll do a picture of my character first, I think, then I'll do some of the different Carriders as they've adapted to different goals

Raneados on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd never been able to find a good image of that Rane

Muse Among Men on
    edited January 2011
    Dubh wrote: »
    let's just say who cares

oh oh another idea

and this is definitely a start, Tommy

weeeee

I think the idea of chitinous techies with a bunch of legs and a slave fetish just delights me to no end

wait

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Still not as bad as Vis, Toms

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited January 2011
    a planet of kpops

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited January 2011
    drawing my character

decided that because of the weird alien anatomy, I have to draw naked first, with visible genitals, so I can design clothing and get a good feel for the anatomy

did i NEED to put the genitals on?

I say yes

oh yes i did

they are lovely

Raneados on
    edited January 2011
    wait rane pm me you should have someone offer advice before you get into the later phases of the drawing

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited January 2011
    a planet of kpops

exterminatus

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited January 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    a planet of kpops

exterminatus

exterminatus twice

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited January 2011
    Genitals as envisioned by Picasso

is that it?

Muse Among Men on
    edited January 2011
    I have now decided that my character is female

see now I'm just drawing porn

rane, you are bad, this is wrong
    but it's so right

now I think the race can have somewhat reptilian origin

mm yeah

Raneados on
This discussion has been closed.