As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Justice League animated... ugh.

ManiacMarioManiacMario Registered User new member
edited March 2011 in Graphic Violence
After watching many passionless, boring, coma inducing episodes, I'm thinking of sticking a fork in this series. Bad animation, painful music, sub-par voice acting, darn near non-existent slice-of-life moments... this is just a bad follow up to Batman: TAS and Superman: TAS.

ManiacMario on

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You could just stick forks in your eyes instead, do the forum a favor.

Hensler on
  • ManiacMarioManiacMario Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Hensler wrote: »

That's a bit harsh.

ManiacMario on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hensler wrote: »

That's a bit harsh.

Not sure what kind of reaction you expected when your first post is shitting on one of the forums favorite cartoons.

see317 on
  • takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    After watching many passionless, boring, coma inducing episodes, I'm thinking of sticking a fork in this series. Bad animation, painful music, sub-par voice acting, darn near non-existent slice-of-life moments... how does anyone think that this was a good follow up to Batman: TAS and Superman: TAS?

The first season is decent, but not fantastic. They're pretty clearly trying to figure out how to juggle that many different characters after spending time on mostly single-hero shows like BTAS and STAS. They're also trying to establish the less-known characters, their personalities and how their powers work and so forth.

The second season is where everything really picks up. Better fights, better writing, and a better feel for the relationships between the characters. (Although you still won't get the slice-of-life episodes you're missing -- not much time spent on Clark or Bruce.)

For me, personally, the third season is a mix, with some good standalone episodes, some not-great standalone episodes (usually exploring a lesser-known hero that hardcore comics fans will love seeing but which may or may not do anything for you), and story-arc episodes which are generally always pretty great.

I didn't love the fourth season, overall, given the focus on villains, but it still has some great standalone episodes.

All that said, unless you have a report due on it or something, watch what you like, and don't watch what you don't like. Nobody's putting a gun to your head.

takyris on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you can't enjoy the Booster Gold episode in Unlimited there's just plain something wrong with you, accpet it and move on

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited January 2011
    I changed my original post because it does sound a bit bitchy towards the fans.
    All that said, unless you have a report due on it or something, watch what you like, and don't watch what you don't like. Nobody's putting a gun to your head.

I'm going to watch up to the Cadmus arc because everyone says its really awesome. The show is really testing my patience, though.

ManiacMario on
    edited January 2011
    If you can't enjoy the Booster Gold episode in Unlimited there's just plain something wrong with you, accpet it and move on

See, that one's on the border for me, because it's not the kind of thing I watched Justice League to see (Captain Marvel and Superman punching each other through buildings? Yes), and I'm not into DC comics enough to have a huge attachment to Booster Gold... but I did love the humor.

Maniac Mario, where are you now? Are you in the second season yet? If you're not, and you're not enjoying yourself, skip to the second season.

If you're in the second season and aren't enjoying yourself, then my guess is that you're not going to enjoy anything that comes after it.

takyris on
    edited January 2011
    The Cadmus stuff is Unlimited

Justice League Unlimited is generally better than Justice League, the animation quality in particular is much improved

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Also the Mister Miracle/Big Barda/Flash episode is really great

Actually, all the Flash centric episodes are pretty dang good

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited January 2011
    See, I didn't love the Mister Miracle one. I liked that Flash got to be useful for, like, the first time since the second season, but that was about it for me.

Enh, opinions. For people who love Big Barda and Granny Goodness, I imagine it was awesome. And it wasn't BAD for me.

I guess I lean toward episodes with more of a focus on the founders (beyond the Cadmus arc episodes). The Bats/WW one with Circe, goofy as it was, or the JLU return of Grundy (vague to avoid spoilers), or even the Old West one. Or the fantastic adaptation of Alan Moore's "For the Man Who Has Everything."

That said, I also enjoyed the Black Canary/Green Arrow/Huntress/Question episodes.

takyris on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    War World (Superman v. Mongul) was the only truly bad section of JL. The rest of season 1 was tolerable and the rest of the series was excellent. Course that's just my opinion.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I liked War World

SUPERMAN! SUPERMAN! SUPERMAN!

Antimatter on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2011
    I like Justice League/Unlimited more than B:TAS or S:TAS

Garlic Bread on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Justice League Unlimited is probably my favorite cartoon of all time

80% of this is due to both the Question and Suicide Squad episodes

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't really think of slice of life stories in any DCAU show.

The closest thing that comes to mind is the Harvey Bullock episode from BTAS, which showed some of Bullock's day to day life.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't really think of slice of life stories in any DCAU show.

The closest thing that comes to mind is the Harvey Bullock episode from BTAS, which showed some of Bullock's day to day life.

Joker's Millions was pretty slice of life. Well, a day int he life of Joker.

The non-unlimited episode of Justice League are tough to get through because they were working on how to make a team of the big 7 work, but they aren't that bad compared to some other stuff out there. But Booster Gold, Captain Marvel vs. Superman, Wildcat beating the crap out of Green Arrow, these all make up for it. And Bruce and Diana being in love <3<3

TexiKen on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The first season of Justice League is easily the worst thing in the whole DCAU

But season two makes up for it in spades

Particularly the Defenders episodes

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2011
    My problem with animated series (and especially the Superman vs Captain Marvel episode) is that they always punch people through buildings

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    My problem with animated series (and especially the Superman vs Captain Marvel episode) is that they always punch people through buildings

Your problem is that things are awesome.

takyris on
    edited January 2011
    takyris wrote: »

why would two superheroes cause billions of dollars worth of damage along with most likely killing a bunch of people

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2011

why would two superheroes cause billions of dollars worth of damage along with most likely killing a bunch of people

Because the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

That sounds like something JMS would say Keith. Are you a fan of JMSuperman, Keith?

Silver_Mage on
    edited January 2011

Son, we live in a world that has walls, walls that have to be punched through by men with capes. Who's gonna do it? You? You, ManiacMario? Superman has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom.

You weep for the residents of 224 Seventh Street, and you curse Superman and Darkseid. You have that luxury. You have that luxury... the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Darkseid getting punched through that wall, while expensive and dangerous, probably saved lives, and that Superman throwing that punch probably saved lives.

You don't want the truth, Keith, because deep down in places you don't talk about at Comic Con, you want Darkseid punched through that wall. You need Darkseid punched through that wall.

We use words like ZAP, BLAMMO, and SHAZAM. We use them to indicate massive explosions and cartoonish violence. You use 'em as a punchline.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain Superman to a forumite who reads and posts on the very subforum Superman's existence provided, and then questions the manner in which he provides it. I'd rather you just thanked Superman and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you grab a cape and start throwing punches. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to.

takyris on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My problem with Justice League was how could they make an hour of television so boring? Maybe I've just been trained to like my cartoons in 30 minute formats, but once they switched to JLU I found the pacing to be so much better.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, all those multi-part episodes of the early seasons of Justice League weren't so great. I actually can't remember much of Justice League. But JLU started out great, and just got better as it went along.

Munch on
    edited January 2011
    RE: Slice of life moments

During BTAS and STAS, I got a sense that Batman and Superman actually had lives outside of being superheroes. I look at Flash and think, "Shouldn't we know more about this guy?" Seriously, he hasn't even taken off his costume yet.

ManiacMario on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The buildings that were smashed during the Superman/Captain Marvel fight were abandoned. Normally that's just a cop out excuse but in that specific case it was pretty well established.

Re: Flash out of costume
    We do see him out of costume in the season 2 finale. We also see him in one of the greatest moments of cartoon history in one of the later seasons

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dritz wrote: »
    The buildings that were smashed during the Superman/Captain Marvel fight were abandoned. Normally that's just a cop out excuse but in that specific case it was pretty well established.

Re: Flash out of costume
    We do see him out of costume in the season 2 finale. We also see him in one of the greatest moments of cartoon history in one of the later seasons
    "I have no idea who this is."
    ?

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the went to town in the Captain Marvel/Superman fight because they were in a prototype city built by Lex Luthor that no one had moved into yet. That, and the final episode where Superman lets loose, are the only times I remember them really doing some potentially fatal damage to the surrounding city. It wasn't like Power Rangers where a building is flattened every battle.

Batman Beyond, though. Remember the Joker's giant laser that chased Terry through the city? Damn.

Lux on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The best Justice League episodes were the ones with

A) The Flash because he rocked and everyone gave him a hard time and than BAM! he beats the shit out of Braniac Luthor when everyone else fails, and

B) The Question and Huntress because they were an adorable coupling of paranoia and psychosis together and it was awesome when two of the unpowered leaguers were saving the day.

Solar on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wasn't a huge fan of Justice League myself but really loved JLU. I specially loved episodes that were devoted to characters I didn't know about (Except for Hawk and Dove ep. Ugh)

It gave us a fantastic rendition of The Question after all.

Kyougu on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    JLU was great, but JL had Starcrossed and one of the best Batman moments in the DCAU.

And JLU had that pig episode.

Its kind of a toss-up.

Raynaga on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What's the best Batman moment in JL?

Kyougu on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maid of Honor, Batman and Diana dancing.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    The best moment is when he plays the entire Injustice Gang for fools in "Injustice for All."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Justice League Unlimited is probably my favorite cartoon of all time

80% of this is due to both the Question and Suicide Squad episodes

holy crap yes

JLU Question is so awesome, and I didn't even know hardly anything about the Question before I saw JLU.

and the Suicide Squad episode is great too, especially because they brought back the Clock King for that one.

Centipede Damascus on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    What's the best Batman moment in JL?

Starcrossed.

Everyone is going to unmask to blend in, Flash freaks about his secret identity. Batman gets annoyed and lists every single secret identity of the group, ending in his own. With a bold on Bruce Wayne when he says it, because that's how he rolls.

Raynaga on
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Best Flash moment in JLU:

"Aren't you going to wash your hands?"

"Noooo. Cause I'm evil."

:lol:

Maratastik on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Olorin wrote: »
    Best Flash moment in JLU:

"I have no idea who this is."

:lol:

It still counts!

noir_blood on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My favorite two moments from the series come from Flash and Superman

Flash:

Tapping into the Speed Force against Braini-Luthor

Superman:

The World of Cardboard Scene

Its actually hard for me to pick just two but these were the two most fuck yeah moments of the whole series.

Psychotic One on