As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop+TV Surround Sound

Fission_MailedFission_Mailed Registered User regular
Let me start by saying I'm a total noob when it comes to audio related anything.

I've got a quick question. I've currently got my laptop hooked up to my TV via an HDMI cable, and while my TV's stock speakers are decent, I'd really like to upgrade them. I'd like a 5.1 surround sound system, but I'm unsure whether or not the sound will work while I have my laptop hooked into my TV.

I was planning on buying these http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Speaker-System-Subwoofer/dp/B000JJM8XE. I don't need ridiculously good quality, and this is just for my bedroom so I don't exactly need a face melting system. However, power and quality is always a nice thing to have.

This is probably a stupid question, but Google isn't really helping.

Fission_Mailed on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Plug your laptop into your TV then plug a pair of headphones in. If you are getting sound over the headphones, external speakers will work. Alternatively, your TV may have an audio out that you can take advantage of.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No dice on the headphone sound, so I guess its up to my TV. And that's disappointing since I'm fairly certain my TV doesn't have and audio out.

Fission_Mailed on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Your laptop wouldn't happen to have another video out, say VGA, would it?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Actually yeah. Its got a VGA output. How would that help though?

Fission_Mailed on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    HDMI carries video and sound, VGA only carries video. This means that your headphone jack should work with a VGA cable plugged in.

I'm assuming you have a VGA in on your TV like most LCDs would, which again is the assumption that you have an LCD TV.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I do! Hurrah! You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you for the help!

Fission_Mailed on