As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Advantages That Can Be Disadvantagious

HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq.Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Social Entropy++
So I'm tall. 6'4"ish. It's not as great as you might think. Today for example I went to the local IMAX and caught a double feature. You'd think they'd have large amounts of leg-space so you could recline comfortably whilst watching fuck-huge movies swirl across a screen the size of an aircraft carrier, but it turns out they don't. I walked out of the theater with a wicked bad cramp in my legs on account of being shoved into a space that was essentially no larger than a can of packed sardines.

Talk to me about your disadvantageous advantages, SE++. Are you tall like me and have to suffer in a world designed to fit the needs of shorter--nay, lesser beings? Perhaps you have a large amount of melanin in your skin that naturally shields you from the harmful rays of the sun, but simultaneously lessens your worth as a person in the eyes of people in possession of a paler, more skin cancer-y prone complexion. Tell me your woes, bros.

Hacksaw on

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sometimes I'm so beautiful

girls just cry from looking at me.

Brolo on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    this is going to turn into a "my dick is just TOO big" thread

edit: and yeah this is gonna be a big ego thread

this thread will be ruled by Pony

Raneados on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm 6' 4" and I don't have any problems with that.

thanimations on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    thank god I have rane on my ignore list

my dick is just

too big

like huge

don't listen to fiz

Brolo on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm good at collecting star bits. Probably too good. I'm tenacious.

Adus on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    there's nothing really special about me, advantage-wise

i am a white male born to middle-class parents

none of that carries any real disadvantages as far as i know

redhead on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How many airplanes do you fly in? I've never had a comfortable flight at my height. Sitting in coach is like being shoved into a cattle wagon, but with better service.

Hacksaw on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    sometimes i put on my socks too well and they get kind of sweaty

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    How many airplanes do you fly in? I've never had a comfortable flight at my height. Sitting in coach is like being shoved into a cattle wagon, but with better service.

I don't think anyone, regardless of size, is particularly comfortable in an airplane.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

That's what you get for flying coach.

VisionOfClarity on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    check out missus moneybags over here

man i'd fly in the cargo hold if they'd let me

gotta save those dollars

Raneados on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    redhead wrote: »

white guilt

Beasteh on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

The only time I've ever flown first-class was when I got upgraded for free when I mentioned to the ticket counter lady that I was on my way to my dad's funeral.

She didn't even mention she'd upgraded me, and I didn't realize it until I actually got on the plane. So that was pretty cool I guess!

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited January 2011
    Beasteh wrote: »

white guilt

what if we don't buy into it

man I ain't responsible for those whiteys, a lot of them are nutbars

Raneados on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm a lady

This means I am subject to all the whims of

THE PATRIARCHY

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    my taste in music is so good that lingering outside the windows in my kitchen and living room there are always hipsters, djs and reformed punks in businesswear just hangin', getting in the way, craning their necks to listen

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited January 2011
    It's so much more comfortable to fly business class. To me it's worth the money.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited January 2011
    i don't think first class is even worth it

as a free perk? fuck yeah, hook me up

but thousands and thousands of extra dollars of my own money i'd rather hang on to, thanks, i can deal with a stiff neck and plastic cutlery

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Maybe for an international flight but most domestic flights I can get business class for only $100-250 more. For flights over 2 hours I like it. On AirTran I just upgrade at check-in for $49 each way.

VisionOfClarity on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm immortal

Weaver on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    I'm immortal

Unless I cut off your head, then I get your power.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SLyM wrote: »

I don't think anyone, regardless of size, is particularly comfortable in an airplane.

I fly a few times a year, and yeah it's uncomfortable but hardly torture. The only that's been hindered by being tall is maybe buying pants that fit correctly.

thanimations on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

My time in first class wasn't really any better; I got a Row 1 seat with about maybe six additional inches of leg-space. That was a shitty flight.

Hacksaw on
    edited January 2011
    oh, I have the ability to fall asleep anywhere, and usually within a few seconds of closing my eyes

wood floor? yep

metal chair? yep

in a jacuzzi? yep

child's bed? yep

standing up? yep (well, leaned against a corner)

it becomes problematic because I'll actually fall asleep ANYWHERE if I'm tired, and it becomes a regular thing for me to sleep in bushes or on a bench or in an abandoned building or next to an active railway, even when only slightly drunk

there are no places i cannot sleep

Raneados on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    know how that goes Rane

I feel your z's

Weaver on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm too good at everything I try. I'm just the best. I make other people feel less worthy because I'm quick to master any skill, which is really their problem. So I guess I don't have any disadvantages then, once again I excel above the masses.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
    edited January 2011
    i'm so much better than dhs odium that it makes me feel intense, uncomfortable pity

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Bizzaro StormyBizzaro Stormy I am Bizzaro Stormy. I am Bizzaro Stormy.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am Bizzaro Stormy.

Bizzaro Stormy on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    as far as being tall on airplanes, if you can't get in the exit row try for an aisle. That way you can at least stretch out one of your legs.

Speed Racer on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm about 6'3" but don't really have a problem fitting into uncomfortable chairs or places. It just doesn't really register.

Cilla Black on
    edited January 2011
    I know a dude 6'6"

He's pretty dang tall.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel like a major advantage I have is my rational mind. I feel like i am smarter than 90% of people I meet in terms of just raw intelligence (lol bragging whatever).

However this causes me a lot of problems with emotional and social issues. I just... don't really understand emotions. They cause me problems.

So essentially I feel like my intelligence is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

Al_wat on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm too cool
    for school

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    I'm too sexy for my shirt. It makes getting ready for work kind of a hassle.

A duck! on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I feel like a major advantage I have is my rational mind. I feel like i am smarter than 90% of people I meet in terms of just raw intelligence (lol bragging whatever).

However this causes me a lot of problems with emotional and social issues. I just... don't really understand emotions. They cause me problems.

So essentially I feel like my intelligence is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

i have been waiting for this post since this thread was made

redhead on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm somewhere between 6'3" and 6'4"

My knees are usually up against the back of the seat in front of me on a plane

If I sit up perfectly straight and the person in front of me doesn't recline at all then it's fine but that's not exactly a comfortable position for multiple hours either!

why the fuck can airplane seats recline anyway

there is not enough space for that at all

Speed Racer on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't stress out about much, or very often. Which can be good, cause in panicky situations I tend to be a calm and controlled voice of reason. However, at the same time, I can't really work up the ability to be stressed about important things I need to get done.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah I know its soo god damned stereotypical

but it like defines my entire fucking life

Al_wat on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    Al_wat wrote: »

i have been waiting for this post since this thread was made

Oh God, thanks for highlighting this one. This made my day.

A duck! on
    edited January 2011
    I think that I am too awesome sometimes.

But then I remind myself I am so awesome that it ceases to matter.

Tallahasseeriel on