As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dumb Thread Names

Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for teaSecret British ThreadRegistered User regular
Besides the reason I'm not funny or I smell bad or anything else, is there any reason for the dicking around of thread titles? I mean, I'm perfectly fine changing them if someone tells me. And I haven't really received any contact about it over PM like "hey I have no idea what thread this is, can ya change it?"

Just seems to be more of a courtesy since I can't find anything in the G&T rules for bad thread names.

Zen Vulgarity on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2011
    Thread names are periodically changed for clarity. We don't PM each individual user every time it is done because it would take several times as long as it takes to click the button and change the title to say "The League Of Legends Thread" instead of an impenetrable in-joke.

Also you smell bad and are not funny.

Tube on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Edit: Answered, can't delete post in forum, wheeee!

Double Edit: When in doubt change the thread title with major news summaries instead of goofy jokes a layman wouldn't get.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well that answers my question about the Black Ops thread, fair enough.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    We actually periodically get reports from people who become frustrated with obtuse thread titles that make the threads difficult to find. I'm sure that most people in the League Of Legends thread know what MOBA DOBA means, but most people do not and it results in a treehouse effect.

Tube on
  • Options
    mogdemonmogdemon Kansas, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I never thought of reporting obtuse thread titles to a mod, I guess 'cause they're not against the rules--even though they were confusing me. Now that I think about it, I appreciate that the mods/admins are getting involved.

mogdemon on
    apotheos wrote:
    You ever wonder exactly how many magic mushrooms the average japanese game studio design team consumes in a year?
    just got a 3ds! 3454-0598-2000
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I relabeled it [LoL] so it wouldn't be obtuse, since it's an incredibly common acronym for the game, since someone had mentioned in the thread that MOBA DOBA was obtuse.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We actually periodically get reports from people who become frustrated with obtuse thread titles that make the threads difficult to find. I'm sure that most people in the League Of Legends thread know what MOBA DOBA means, but most people do not and it results in a treehouse effect.

Yeah, at the bottom line there has to be some ease-of-use associated with the forum.

I've actually had problems finding the metal music thread in D&D from time to time because it suffers from this issue.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I didn't see it for ages. I still don't know what Hesher means.

Adus on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A hesher is a buttrocker. You know that guy down in your local bar who wears a Motorhead tour t-shirt from 1978 that you're rather sure hasn't been washed since then? Yeah, that's a hesher.

Tav on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I relabeled it [LoL] so it wouldn't be obtuse, since it's an incredibly common acronym for the game, since someone had mentioned in the thread that MOBA DOBA was obtuse.

You thought 'lol' was an improvement?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was wondering what that bracket in the thread title was about.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why wouldn't it be? I know when I see "lol" on the internet, I totally think of League of Legends.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it be? I know when I see "lol" on the internet, I totally think of League of Legends.

lol

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »

lol

I stand corrected.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    A hesher is a buttrocker. You know that guy down in your local bar who wears a Motorhead tour t-shirt from 1978 that you're rather sure hasn't been washed since then? Yeah, that's a hesher.

Wow, I thought it was a Doctor Who thing, or the people George Washington killed when he crossed the Delaware.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I'd much rather the thread titles be completely 100% absolutely utilitarian. Anyone trying to be funny can get fucked in their obtuse asses as far as I'm concerned. If there's one thing I look for when I come to the PA forums, it's pragmatic functionality.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No one's saying you can't try and be funny, you just have to you know, put the name of the game in there somewhere so that your (no doubt hilarious) joke doesn't prevent people from actually finding the thread

Tube on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And here I thought my thread title was changed because the mods don't want to associate PAX East with Nerd Orgies. Glad to know!

Goose! on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is the #1 reason why I started using subscribe. I got tired of looking for threads that were right there on page 1 but had the name changed.

Sticks on