As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATMAN] Where Are You?!? Here. Arkham City Out Now

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, I'm currently on the second Scarecrow segment, and it got me thinking

I'd really like to see more use of the Batclaw in Arkham City. And not strictly for tearing down walls/grates to get to riddles, either. When you first get it, you pull some boxes out of the way to get out of the Batcave, and then you use it twice in that Scarecrow segment. For main gameplay purposes, that's the end of its use.

I like the idea of using the Batclaw to pull down objects and create cover for stealth sequences.

As long as those objects you pull down are pillows, sure.

"Let me just Batclaw this brick wall to create some cover so these thugs don't see me.
    *crash*
    "I could have thought that through better."

Renzo on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You don't have to immediately hide behind it

God knows I made a ton of noise in stealth segments and swung away, only to return to nice hiding spots

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You can use the Batclaw to pull dudes off ledges and shit.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I never found a practical situation for that outside of the one spot where you have to pull all three off

But fair enough, I guess

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I was looking at Zsasz on Wikipedia and saw this:
    Zsasz also appears in the sequel Batman: Arkham City, where Batman must track him down and foil his murders in side missions.

How did I miss that bit of news?

"Side missions" like that sound totally awesome

Goddamn I cannot wait for this game

I can't imagine a situation where this kind of anticipation could go wrong.

Can you?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Not...in particular?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Detective Mode in AA wasn't anything more than a visual filter. You didn't even solve anything when the game keeps telling you what to do.

The idea of side missions in AC makes me think of the side missions and activities in the GTA games. All they were there was just different ways to do the same stuff with the main story. I'm just imagining that this Zsasz stuff isn't much more than triggering a few follow the leader quests, getting there too late, and then finally getting to beat him up.

Once you get on the Hype Train, the only way off is to jump. There has to be more than a few games where you got excited about a feature only to find out it wasn't what you were expecting. If it was there at all.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I wasn't excited about Detective Mode in AA, and as such wasn't disappointed by it. In fact, I thought it was fine (other than needing to keep the visual filter on, whereas AC seems to be using augmented reality vision for that kind of stuff, so kudos to Rocksteady on that).

Also, that's exactly what I'm expecting from the Zsasz stuff; GTA-style side missions that eventually come to their own little ending, like the side missions in an Assassin's Creed game (in particular, like the Cristina missions in Brotherhood).

Ain't nothing wrong with being on the hype train, man. Some of us aren't as overly pessimistic as you, especially when such a solid product was delivered last time.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My girlfriend isn't particularly into batman but she still enjoyed (watching me play) Arkham Asylum. See because she enjoys quality experiences and AA is one of those.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Right now I'm replaying this game on Hard difficulty, just out of boredom. And it really reinforces my initial feelings.

The game as a brawler is great. The freeflow combat system feels great and works well. It's a marvel how they got the counters to animate smoothly with the regular combat animations. Batman is an unparalleled martial artist and it's portrayed wonderfully here.

The game as a stealth game is much less polished, much less impressive, and not a whole lot of fun. It just feels like they did not devote as much time and resources into this aspect of the gameplay as they did for the melee fighting. Stealth has nothing to do with light, because you cannot break lights. That seems insane, doesn't it? Batman is a creature that hides in the shadows, except in this game, where he hides behind walls and sees through them with his magical X-Ray vision mode. There aren't even smoke bombs you can set off to evade attackers. Playing the stealth portions and jumping around gargoyles just made me yearn for SC Conviction. Conviction, for all its faults as a SC game, is a much much better stealth game.

Also, walking around as Batman still feels clumsy. Instead of having to press A to run, they should've just made you run when you push the analogue stick to the edge. And crouching by holding down the right trigger feels tiresome after a while. I'm a big fan of crouching, so it would've been nice if it was just a toggle like other games. Maybe they'll change it in the sequel.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Batman isn't about hiding. It's about power in the dark. The nightmare thing that can see you and just took out all your buddies and now there's only you and he's somewhere in here and oh god YEAAARGGGGH BLAM BLAM BLAM *click click click* Oh Shi-*

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Batman isn't about hiding.

Yea he is.

Superman's the one who doesn't hide.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nope. Not hiding.

Prowling.

You must be thinking of a wussier batman. :)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, this game is a freaking awesome stealth game.

This one time I cleared out like 3 goons at once using the explosive gel and crashing through a window in another room.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just installed 6.8 gigs of this game to my 360's hard drive so I can play through the challenge rooms faster.

I have a 20 gig hard drive.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah Batman's a hunter. He just uses the darkness to even the odds and stalk his prey.

And to prey on their fears, which is something they did exceptionally well in that game. They made you feel like the goons were the ones being hunted. Like causing a ruckus at one end of the map and having goons run in a panic to see what's happening, then silently swooping down and taking the last guy out before he gets there.

And then watching them start freaking out. I really love the way the last guy all on his own is so panicked that if you simply appear besides him he loses it and flinches back before even thinking to attack.

Basically those bits aren't awesome becuase you're taking out mooks. You take out mooks in most any game. It's awesome because of the way you get to do it, maintaining complete control of the situation, leading them around like it's all according to your plan, and being a menacing figure and making them afraid of you is part of that.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ain't nothing wrong with being on the hype train, man. Some of us aren't as overly pessimistic as you, especially when such a solid product was delivered last time.

Hey, I'm just trying to be helpful. There are no guarantees that Arkham City will turn out as well as Asylum did. It was just that from the vague description and your joy to read it suggested that you might have been expecting something that probably wouldn't be delivered.

I'm not sure how expecting GTA-style side missions is better, but there you go.

And as far as the Hype Train goes... Well, when you dip your toes into the wellspring that is the RB Forums, you get used to just how bad it gets. People always have the capacity to convince themselves of what to expect. The final product usually has a way of changing that.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So apparently there's multi in Arkham City. I wonder if we'll see Robin or Catwoman fighting with Batman.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    So apparently there's multi in Arkham City. I wonder if we'll see Robin or Catwoman fighting with Batman.

Apparently?

Unless you've got a source I think it's all just speculation at this point

I hope it's Catwoman

Dibs on Catwoman

I called dibs

On Catwoman

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    subedii wrote: »
    Yeah Batman's a hunter. He just uses the darkness to even the odds and stalk his prey.

And to prey on their fears, which is something they did exceptionally well in that game. They made you feel like the goons were the ones being hunted. Like causing a ruckus at one end of the map and having goons run in a panic to see what's happening, then silently swooping down and taking the last guy out before he gets there.

And then watching them start freaking out. I really love the way the last guy all on his own is so panicked that if you simply appear besides him he loses it and flinches back before even thinking to attack.

Basically those bits aren't awesome becuase you're taking out mooks. You take out mooks in most any game. It's awesome because of the way you get to do it, maintaining complete control of the situation, leading them around like it's all according to your plan, and being a menacing figure and making them afraid of you is part of that.
    When the demo came out, I probably spent 2 hours reloading that one predator room just to play with terrified goons. It never gets old.
    I hope it's Catwoman

Dibs on Catwoman

I called dibs

On Catwoman
    I would appreciate it if you would put your pants back on. Just as a favor to me.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't understand your request and I won't respond to it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Hey, I'm just trying to be helpful. There are no guarantees that Arkham City will turn out as well as Asylum did. It was just that from the vague description and your joy to read it suggested that you might have been expecting something that probably wouldn't be delivered.

I'm not sure how expecting GTA-style side missions is better, but there you go.

And as far as the Hype Train goes... Well, when you dip your toes into the wellspring that is the RB Forums, you get used to just how bad it gets. People always have the capacity to convince themselves of what to expect. The final product usually has a way of changing that.

Yeah but the official forums don't matter. They almost never matter. I can guarantee you that regardless of the view of the forums now, it doesn't matter HOW good the game is, there are going to be dozens of threads of complaining over the most stupid minutiae, accusations of dumbing down from people who have no clue about why gameplay design decisions might be made, and cries of how they've ruined the game because they clearly focussed on trying to appeal to casual gamers / fratboys / marketing ideas etc.

The intensity of it varies from forum to forum. Being a predominantly singleplayer game probably helps it avoid most of the utterly toxic fanbase that game sequels can sometimes get (see: pretty much any MOBA game), but being based on a heavily established comic book franchise might not help it either. I can already guess some of the complaints people are going to have will be about the characterisation of Batman and his rogues gallery.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah but the official forums don't matter. They almost never matter. I can guarantee you that regardless of the view of the forums now, it doesn't matter HOW good the game is, there are going to be dozens of threads of complaining over the most stupid minutiae, accusations of dumbing down from people who have no clue about why gameplay design decisions might be made, and cries of how they've ruined the game because they clearly focussed on trying to appeal to casual gamers / fratboys / marketing ideas etc.

The intensity of it varies from forum to forum. Being a predominantly singleplayer game probably helps it avoid most of the utterly toxic fanbase that game sequels can sometimes get (see: pretty much any MOBA game), but being based on a heavily established comic book franchise might not help it either. I can already guess some of the complaints people are going to have will be about the characterisation of Batman and his rogues gallery.

This place is not immune, either. It's just not nearly as reactionary. Topic focused threads can be just as fanboyish about their chosen game. Heaven help Rocksteady if it turns into a Fable situation.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ridiculous dream: Nightwing is available for co-op, with a unique fighting style with more acrobatic movement, and the ability to use taunts to distract and misdirect enemies.
    And he's voiced by Loren Lester, or failing that, Neil Patrick Harris.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

This place is not immune, either. It's just not nearly as reactionary. Topic focused threads can be just as fanboyish about their chosen game. Heaven help Rocksteady if it turns into a Fable situation.

Fable situation?

Hey...I warned people that Fable 3 was going to be bad.

No one listened

That being said, I have faith in B:AC.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Pretty much.

I think in general this place tends to have a lot of optimism for titles. More than most established fanbases usually do because as soon as they hear the word "change" they turn into a blubbering mess. Unless there's real reasons to be concerned with what they're trying to do with the franchise it's definitely the case that people here can get fanboyish in anticipation of a new title. And if there are questionable decisions, the default stance is usually one of worrying but with an attitude of "wait and see" (see the X-Com thread).

If a game turns out bad, or slightly disappointing, or just plain divisive though, generally things avoid being toxic here, partly because we've got rules against crapping up threads and generally acting like a jerk. There's not real outbursts of nerdrage or angst, and if there are they're generally shut down fast.

All that's based on the supposition though that the game's going to be bad. Which we haven't really seen any reason to believe, hence the optimism.

subedii on
  • Options
    ScarboroughScarborough Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wrong thread...sorry.

Scarborough on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Which version will have Zangoose in it? Black or White? He was my favorite poke from back in the day and I want to play with his pre and post evolve.

Also seems to be a good number of fire and grass types.

http://h-1.abload.de/img/poke_black_white__4uc9.png

I might actually have to choose the Grass starter this time.

Batman used BATARANG

It's super-effective!

;-)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Batman, use grappling hook!"

"Bat Bat! Batman Bat Bat!"

subedii on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Something something Zubat.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Imagining this in Kevin Conroy's voice is far more amusing than it should be.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wrong thread...sorry.

But it was hilarious.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ScarboroughScarborough Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wrong thread...sorry.

But it was hilarious.

Haha, yes it was.

Scarborough on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4e3CDc1r5k

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ahahaha I remember that shit

good times

Zxerol on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I just finally got around to playing Arkham Asylum for the first time. I'm about 1/4 the way through, going by the percentage the game gives you.

Easily the best Batman game ever, as though I need to say that. It ain't perfect, but it's a great game in its own right too.

LOVING: All the awesome. Reminds me much of the 90s animated series. This is a good thing. Scaring the bejesus out of enemies never gets old. Fantastic combat.

Not loving: Super beefy Gordon with the wrong sounding voice. Some of the dialog isn't so great, Harley's tends to be the most cringe inducing ("sexy, ain't it?" ... ugh). I can never find much reason to turn Detective Mode off, so the whole game I'm going through pale blue environments and beating up neon skeletons... seems like the game's art is mostly wasted because of that... and it would be nice if friendlies showed up as a different color or something so I could easily sort them out.

I've got a lot of game ahead of me still.. but I'm already pumped for Arkham City.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Green LantenGreen Lanten Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This was originally posted on kewego france. But iv'e just posted it on YouTube so it can show up in the search results.

Anyway i'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYS4dVDfG0

Green Lanten on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's pretty cool.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Interesting, to say the least. Co-op play? :P

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wait, that's not from the game, is it? I got the impression that it was fan-made machinima or something similar.

KalTorak on
This discussion has been closed.