As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East PSP Thread

hsofpn666hsofpn666 Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
just wonder how many people are going to bring there psp to pax east 2011?

hsofpn666 on

• ArcanicEightArcanicEight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I did last year, but that was because I didn't have a DS at the time. I'll probably bring it again along with the DS anyways.

ArcanicEight on
  • Sm1ttySm1tSm1ttySm1t Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I considered it, but with my laptop, camcorder, and the various interviews I hope to conduct ... i dont see much PSP time.

Is there a lot of down time for playing?

Sm1ttySm1t on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Handheld devices are perfect for lines.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• GausGaus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I brought mine last year, and met up with more than a few opportunities to use it and met a few people to have matches with too.

Gaus on
    Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Short answer: Lots and lots of people. DSes will be more prevalent, but you should have no problem finding PSP buddies.

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I will definitely be bringing my PSP again this year. It was great for killing time in lines.
    I did notice that last year the number of people with a DS was MUCH larger than the folks with PSPs, which is a shame - I went through the whole weekend and not once did anyone hand me my own ass at Dissidia. I hope to change that this year.

Which games are you planning to bring?
    I'll be hauling along:
    - Final Fantasy Dissidia (still waiting for that beating...)
    - Monster Huntrer Freedom Unite
    - The Untold Legends games (Brotherhood & Warrior's Code)
    - Puzzle Quest. Maybe PQ2, if it exists on PSP yet.
    - Dungeon Seige: Throne of Agony

And probably a bunch more... I haven't gone over my library in a while. Distracted by the PS3.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    edited January 2011
    I will definitely be bringing my PSP again this year. It was great for killing time in lines.
    I did notice that last year the number of people with a DS was MUCH larger than the folks with PSPs, which is a shame - I went through the whole weekend and not once did anyone hand me my own ass at Dissidia. I hope to change that this year.

I'll be hauling along:

And probably a bunch more... I haven't gone over my library in a while. Distracted by the PS3.

Mmm, Dissidia. I would gladly try to give you your need of a beating. That is, if I can find my copy... It's been so long since I've even touched my PSP.

ArcanicEight on
  • hsofpn666hsofpn666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    not sure what i will be bringing i wold like to see a little star wars battlefront action !!

hsofpn666 on
    edited January 2011
    and ds people are silly goose types the true power of sony has been unleashed !!!!!

hsofpn666 on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I will be bringing my PSP, but I'm not sure I will use it. Last two PAXes I went to, I really only needed my DS for multiplayer stuff, since everyone has one.

Djiem on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hsofpn666 wrote: »
    and ds people are silly goose types the true power of sony has been unleashed !!!!!

because we silly geese want to play games with other people instead of being anti social while in line? or elsewhere?

:P

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited January 2011
    hahaha ok good one but psp does have multiplayer dont get me wrong i was raised on nintendo but upgraded to sony and psp just looks pretty

hsofpn666 on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My PSP stopped working due to dust buildup.

Interested in the upcoming PSP2 details though.

Rdr on
    edited January 2011
    hahaha ok good one but psp does have multiplayer dont get me wrong i was raised on nintendo but upgraded to sony and psp just looks pretty

It's not an upgrade, it's just different. The PSP is stronger than the DS graphically, but I personally prefer the DS games, especially when waiting in lines or for events like PAX, because the multiplayer library is much larger, and also more people have one.

By all means, bring your PSP, but if you have a DS, bring it too, you'll be glad you did. At almost any point in a queue, you can ask out loud if anyone wants to play Mario Kart or Tetris or something.

Djiem on
    edited January 2011
    no ds sorry thinking though but i have everything sony from tv to computer to surround even sony shower radio i think i am hooked on sony ??? still have my walk man

hsofpn666 on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    anybody else starting to feel like we're in the uncanny valley?

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited January 2011
    sony rocks

hsofpn666 on
    edited January 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »

*raises hand*

ArcanicEight on
    edited January 2011

because we silly geese want to play games with other people instead of being anti social while in line? or elsewhere?

:P

Come on... we PSPers aren't anti-social... we just have a pathological tendency to buy the unpopular consoles based purely on technical specs. Over and over again (I'm looking at you, Sega Master system!)
    We're not shunning larger society, we just don't learn. :)

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    edited January 2011
    i love my psp its it only does everything

hsofpn666 on
  • MasterMargieMasterMargie Registered User new member
    edited January 2011

I don't think I saw you at the Dissidia tournament last year...because if I did, you would have gotten the same beating I gave everyone else. :P

But seriously, I hope there's a Dissidia tourney this year too, and that it has a higher turnout than last year. Without a PS3, I don't get to play Ad-Hoc Party. :(

MasterMargie on
    edited January 2011

I don't think I saw you at the Dissidia tournament last year...because if I did, you would have gotten the same beating I gave everyone else. :P

But seriously, I hope there's a Dissidia tourney this year too, and that it has a higher turnout than last year. Without a PS3, I don't get to play Ad-Hoc Party. :(

There was a tournament?
    I didn't participate in any tourneys last year - I'm not very good, and I get a lot worse when there's any official competetion happening.
    Hopefuly this year I'll be able to spend some time in the portable lounge & find some other PSPers to play with.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yep! There was this past Prime and East. And I want to say the Prime before that. (Pax's kind of blend together at a certain point)

Scoots on
    edited January 2011
    I actually had a few pick up games. You just have to look out for people playing the PSP and see if they want to play together. There was a guy last year that had a sign above his head looking for Monster Hunts. It definitely won't be hard finding someone to play with.

Gaus on
    edited January 2011
    Gaus wrote: »
    I actually had a few pick up games. You just have to look out for people playing the PSP and see if they want to play together. There was a guy last year that had a sign above his head looking for Monster Hunts. It definitely won't be hard finding someone to play with.

A sign! That's a great idea. I'm generally too shy to approach people (I know, I know), but I could wear a sign.
    I really didn't see very many people with PSPs on display last year. I guess I wasn't looking very hard though - I mostly brought mine to entertain me in the line ride. And I failed to spend much time in the portable lounge, except when it was sparsely populated (end of the day, etc.)

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2011
    I didn't really get to play Dissidia in a multiplayer context. Is it balanced enough to be fun?

Djiem on
  • DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I brought it last year and barely played it. Spent more time on my DS.

This year I am bringing some retro handhelds and a crapton of batteries.

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
    edited January 2011
    i hope sony wil bring one new psp2 to pax to play with

hsofpn666 on
  • e-lue-lu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'll be hauling along:

testsubject - are these, in your opinion, the best multiplayer games on PSP? I will be bringing my DS and my PSP. All I have for DS is Pokemon SS and Mario Kart... with the limited time I have had lately to play Pokemon, it seems unlikely that I will have a competitive team ready for the Pokemon challenge (though I will still particpate, just to get owned). But I don't have anything multiplayer on my PSP. What should I pick up?

I've seen Dissidia and Monster Hunter mentioned twice so far in this thread. Anything else good?

I've been poking around online and am interested in Medal of Honor Heroes 2 and MGS: Peace Walker.. anyone have thoughts on those for PAX East line-gaming?

e-lu on
    edited February 2011
    e-lu wrote: »
    testsubject - are these, in your opinion, the best multiplayer games on PSP? I will be bringing my DS and my PSP. All I have for DS is Pokemon SS and Mario Kart... with the limited time I have had lately to play Pokemon, it seems unlikely that I will have a competitive team ready for the Pokemon challenge (though I will still particpate, just to get owned). But I don't have anything multiplayer on my PSP. What should I pick up?

I've seen Dissidia and Monster Hunter mentioned twice so far in this thread. Anything else good?

I've been poking around online and am interested in Medal of Honor Heroes 2 and MGS: Peace Walker.. anyone have thoughts on those for PAX East line-gaming?

Honestly, I'm probably not the best person to ask - I almost never play my PSP, especially multiplayer.
    I picked up Dissidia & Monster Hunter mostly because they were heavily mentioned on the PSP thread for *last* PAX East, but they're both solid titles, worth owning. I'd say bring whatever you can carry, and what you like - someone's bound to have some of the same games.
    I'll also be packing Killzone Liberation, and Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron, to cover my bases. :)

Anyone else have recommendations?

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i'm not lying. this is serious.

when i was a kid, this game was very uncanny valley to me, at least in a cartoon sense:
    kungfunesusa.jpg

kungfunesfighting.png
    in terms of animation i felt this was like watching a cartoon.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • redshoepaulredshoepaul Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i hope sony wil bring one new psp2 to pax to play with

They're not. Sorry for the disappointment.

redshoepaul on
    edited February 2011

Link?

Rdr on
  • LuxoLuxo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Doh, just sold mine. Funds are going towards 3DS ! ( Yeah I will be a gaming whore and also get the NGP when it's released also ! )

Luxo on
    edited February 2011
    Gotta say..the NGP looks pretty awesome. I'll probably save a little each check and get it when it comes out.

Rdr on
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    Gotta say..the NGP looks pretty awesome. I'll probably save a little each check and get it when it comes out.

I'm of two minds about it. It does look awesome, but console manufacturers have a bad habit of releasing better/upgraded versions of the hardware for less cost, after the system's been on the market for a while.
    I felt a little done-over as an early adopter of the PSP - paid a bunch for it when it was first released, and then a while later, we get a lighter, cheaper model with a video-out on it (which turned UMD movies from "totally useless" into "somewhat useless"). I may hold off this time, and get one of the "revised editions" that will inevitably follow, for 2/3 the price of the original.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • redshoepaulredshoepaul Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »

Link?

Link for what? It's information I have from a source that isn't available publically.

redshoepaul on
  • DJ LushiousDJ Lushious Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll be bringing mine, but it's only geared up for single-player affairs right now. FFVI and FFTactics are on it.

Last year I brought Guilty Gear, SFAlpha3, and Metal Gear Solid. MGS got most of my time.

I can't really get into Monster Hunter. Any ideas of what else I should bring?Is Dissidia really that good a game, that just about everyone mentions it?

DJ Lushious on
    edited February 2011
    You'd be surprised at how many people play Lumines. Also, DJ Max Portable is a great game.

Gaus on
    edited February 2011
    looking for some need for speed racing and some burnout

hsofpn666 on