As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[M&M] Trinity City OOC

AriviaArivia I Like A ChallengeEarth-1Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Critical Failures
Okay! So! Superhero games!

I'm thinking M&M2e for system, because I'm already familiar with it.

But I'm not sure about setting/style/inspiration, so I'd like to hear from you as to your preferences, desires, etc.

Our player list for now is:

Antimatter
Mori
Mazzyx
Captain Carrot
Thomamelas

huntresssig.jpg
Arivia on

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't mind a city setting, and street-level powers

no supergods :P

Antimatter on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Right now, I mostly just want to play a shapeshifter. Maybe the same stuff going on character-wise as in Kakos' game, that is, identity issues, but I'm thinking for once I'll try role-playing a female character.

Captain Carrot on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I tend to Marvel very much so. Or Gotham if we do DC based idea. I probably will play a male but it depends. Thinking of doing some archery. Maybe a mix of Posion Ivy and Green arrow, but I am going to juggle some thoughts.

What system are we going to be using?

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited January 2011
    I might do a lady character for the first time ever

I'm thinking minor elemental manipulation, maybe energy

Antimatter on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Batman is my favorite hero, but for my part I actually like my superhero stuff full of "city of tomorrow" skylines and flashy heroics.

Silas Brown on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Okay! So! Superhero games!

I'm thinking M&M2e for system, because I'm already familiar with it.

But I'm not sure about setting/style/inspiration, so I'd like to hear from you as to your preferences, desires, etc.

Our player list for now is:

Antimatter
    Mori
    Mazzyx
    Captain Carrot

Might take one more.

Well, man, if you're DESPERATE for someone else I guess I could do my part...

TheOtherHorseman on
    edited January 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »

Estrogen brigade!

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »

Estrogen brigade!

kinda sad that a trans-girl's never done a female character in an RPG before, but whatever :P

Antimatter on
    edited January 2011
    I could play mine as a chick, but she will lean toward my Femshep just to let you know.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I tend to Marvel very much so. Or Gotham if we do DC based idea. I probably will play a male but it depends. Thinking of doing some archery. Maybe a mix of Posion Ivy and Green arrow, but I am going to juggle some thoughts.

What system are we going to be using?

As I said in the OP, M&M2e.

I am flexible for which company/style, etc etc. I like most if not all of them.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Oh, are we actually aiming to use an established setting? I have to admit I'm not very comics competent.

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011
    Not as far as I know (and neither am I)!

It's just a question of what people prefer.

Anti, what did you mean by street-level heroics?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Daredevil/Spider-Man/Batman

not extremely high-powered individuals

Antimatter on
    edited January 2011
    Superheroes just seem suited to urban campaigns. I'd be cool with a relatively low power level as well.

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah no Superman, Captain Marvel or Rogue(after draining Ms. Marvel) type characters. More along like Green Arrow, Batman, Cyclops(his power is very focused and though powerful not game breaking) and the like. So we have to get down and dirty for the fighting.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited January 2011
    Mmm. Fine by me - my only question then is how to blend in shapeshifting/elemental control :P

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Mmm. Fine by me - my only question then is how to blend in shapeshifting/elemental control :P

well, for shapeshifting, nothing major
    like, no giant monsters, no inanimate objects, no tiny things

as for elemental powers, no earthquakes for ground, no infernos for fire, no tidal waves for water, no tornados for wind

that sorta thing

Antimatter on
    edited January 2011
    Well that's cool.

I mean more in terms of narrative focus: elemental powers/shapeshifting hint at magical/metahuman power sources

if you're fine with having spider bites/hedge wizards run around, that's cool by me, just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    I'm thinking my character is here because she volunteered to go through an experimental portal on her home world; there was an earthquake as she passed from one side to the other, and she arrived here with nothing but the clothes on her back and no way to get home.

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a setting with some magic and higher sci-fi. In fact I think it would be awesome. It's just better if our characters own powers are limited enough to keep things rough.

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011
    I'm kind of thinking a neo-city made by a megacorporation for all their people to live and work - their operations centered around a massive citadel at the heart of the city, with a ring of residential buildings in between the city's spokes; outside the residences the city turns into slums for service and secondary workers and all the other interests who have crammed into the city yet remain outside of the central corporation.

The corporation itself specializes in technology beyond the norm: eg, the portals that brought Carrot to earth, mutations for other people, etc.

Thoughts?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Okay, I still volunteered, but this time I'm part of a study on Earth's end to see how my species reacts to being here long-term. (Why the corporation wants to know that can tie into the plot later on, maybe) Not all of my people are shifters, but I was chosen to be one of the first to make sure they covered that factor adequately. I'm basically free to do what I want, though they do have some work for me to do so I don't get bored, and I have sensors implanted in my body to take readings.

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011
    I figure chemicals or something similar its going to take me some time to build the character. Maybe I was a high school archery champion which leads to my skills with the bow. Maybe I was security or something, during an action I got thrown in one of the pots.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited January 2011
    Hmmm. Jessica Albion (her real name is impossible for humans anywhere near the city to pronounce) is supposed to stay inside the complex for the next year, but she gets antsy and sneaks out. On her trip, she stumbles into someone else's character, and the adventure begins?

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011
    CC, I could of been chasing you as a security and well accident, plants and boom I figure I have to run away knowing what they do with people like me.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited January 2011
    You chase me, I shift into panther form and decide to play a bit, you get freaked out and stumble, rolling down the side of the hill into the lake where one of the chemical plants drains. I get you out in time to keep you from drowning, but the exposure is significant enough to change you. Since you were on duty, they give you a small pension, but you're sent into a similar observation program, well out of the public eye. I feel partially responsible for the incident, but I don't know what I can do to make up for it.

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011
    This is hot. Keep on going.

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011
    So Mori, do you have any ideas for your character, maybe tying into the storyline we're establishing?

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to have a better understanding of the rules before I try to come up with a character idea. This shit always stabs me in the back if I go for a concept that doesn't at least moderately attempts to gear towards a decent build.

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011
    M&M is really flexible in that regard, seriously.

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011
    Character ideaaaaaaaaa

Michelle Quaros was the subject of an in vivo experiment to give superpowers to humans. for years and years she showed no signs of abilities, but around 22 or so, she discovered she could control the wind. she uses a staff as a weapon, and can use the wind offensively and defensively.

Antimatter on
    edited January 2011
    Sounds cool. Maybe the experiment was run/funded by the megacorp, and now she's under covert observation?

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011
    I was honestly thinking something similar

perhaps she's been on observation the entire time, they were waiting for powers to develop, and they pulled her to the side the second she showed evidence of metahuman abilities. they gave her a choice, do good, or be taken down.

I dunno :P

Antimatter on
    edited January 2011
    Or maybe less dramatic: she starts getting powers, they put her in a different program. The three of us occasionally bump into each other in the citadel, and we're all itching for some outside time, so we sneak out every Friday night and have some fun on the town. And then Mori's part comes in with something, maybe we help him with a fight?

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011
    That could work. And Mori the system is pretty much d20 with some tweaks on how things are connected. Which makes it really flexible. Like Dex and Str don't determine attack values but those instead are separate and the like. I am still working how to do my powers. So far I am thinking the ability to attach like a seed or a piece of a vine to my arrows so when they hit, they have a chance of entangling the enemy.

Also when I am in close combat I change my body and hands to like a hard oak or something making me resilient verse hand to hand blows but no effect verse bullets and the like.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited January 2011
    Ooo, I like the sneaking out idea.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Okay I like the sneaking out thing

Antimatter on
    edited January 2011
    It also adds an element of stealth and secrecy - we know they're not incompetent, they have to know we're getting out, so we figure they're letting us stretch our legs, as long as we don't make any messes or make it clear to the public that SuperCorp is allowing its volunteers become vigilantes.

Captain Carrot on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I suspect you people will need someone who understands how to work in the shadows.

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2011
    Here are a few more things to chew on:

-even though it's a bit stereotypical (maybe not a problem for a superhero game :P), I do eventually want to work with the fight back against the evil corporation at the heart of things
    -my idea for this has your escapees/night out on the town people doing acts of herolsm/finding their legs in the slums and then eventually following some trails of villainy back into the corporation itself
    -in terms of theme, we're likely looking at something like "good deeds require good intent"
    -mood wise, not totally dystopian: the central citadel is a modern wonder, and the residential/slums areas outside are brightly ramshackle, not run down - think more Chinatown, not District 31.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg