As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fuck bullies

Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Social Entropy++
tumblr_lf763rpyke1qzg1r7o1_500.jpg
MILTONA, Minn. - The news of a high school student’s suicide began circling social networking sites Monday morning, after the news began spreading that 18-year-old Jefferson High School student Lance Lundsten had died over the weekend.

Around 10 p.m. Saturday the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office responded to an emergency call at the Lundsten’s residence in Miltona.

When officers arrived, they discovered 18-year-old Lance Lundsten needing emergency medical care. Lundsten was transported to the Douglas County Hospital where he later died.

The Sheriff’s Office confirmed to KSAX that they believed Lundsten’s death was a suicide. The Sheriff would not confirm the nature of the medical emergency.

According to his Facebook page, Lundsten was openly gay. On a Facebook memorial page in Lundsten’s honor, friends said that Lundsten had been bullied at school for his sexual orientation. Some students who knew Lundsten believed the bullying may have led to his suicide.

“Bullying is a huge issue, particularly with the youth in our country now,” Facilitator of the Diversity Resource Action Alliance Shari Maloney said. “I think because we’re in central Minnesota, and we aren’t as diverse as some of the larger Metropolitan areas are, someone who is different maybe draws more attention and it’s not always positive.”

Maloney said she works everyday to make Alexandria a more accepting place for community members and visitors. She said she has seen improvement, but there is still a long way to go.

“I think we are a welcoming community, but I think we are also a very traditional community as well,” Maloney said. “As the world changes, I’m not sure if we’re changing.”

Another Jefferson High School student started a Facebook group following Lundsten’s death called the Jefferson Anti-Bully Coalition.

Lundsten’s funeral is set for Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at Anderson Funeral Home in Alexandria.

RIP Lance.

so once again, a young kid is driven to suicide by homophobic abuse and bullying

i've been the victim of homophobic abuse, and still am, and it sucks. a lot. i would go into further detail, but i'm sure most of you know about my Christmas Eve story.

you tell me SE++: do you think there will ever be a time where people can just be themselves, with no fear of bullying or harassment?

Sweeney Tom on

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was a bully once. Not a very good one. I picked on him because he had a stupid haircut, then he cut his hair and we became the best of friends.

The end.

That story is sad though.

Melding on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bullying has always been an issue, and I think it was always exist to some extent. At least adults seem to care more about it now as compared to the past.

Muse Among Men on
    edited January 2011
    Used to just be a thing. You get tougher and fight them off. People are discovering the folly in that these days.

Melding on
  • AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In middle school I was beaten up or yelled at every day. One time I got my head slammed into a locker and was sent to the hospital. Everyone called me gay, and I had only one friend who just used me for money so he could buy pot.
    Every morning before class started, I had to walk passed the library in the main court yard, and a kid would always yell "FAGGOT" to me. One time I stopped and said to him that he was the sole reason why kids wanted to bring guns to school. He laughed, spit on me, and called me a faggot.

AgentofOrange on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

you tell me SE++: do you think there will ever be a time where people can just be themselves, with no fear of bullying or harassment?

Pfffttt Not in SE++

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This shit makes me mad.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • CowardlyCowardly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got the shit bullied out of me till the end of high school (uk) where I became vicious and cold and a pot head and later, a pisshead.

Toughen up, nerds.
    Best advice ANYONE CAN GIVE. HONEST. NOT SARCASTIC AT ALL.

Cowardly on
  • .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Never. Some people thrive on conflict and they'll make up a reason if need be.

. on
    Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    fuck, I hate people sometimes.

Langly on
  • UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In middle school I was beaten up or yelled at every day. One time I got my head slammed into a locker and was sent to the hospital. Everyone called me gay, and I had only one friend who just used me for money so he could buy pot.
    Every morning before class started, I had to walk passed the library in the main court yard, and a kid would always yell "FAGGOT" to me. One time I stopped and said to him that he was the sole reason why kids wanted to bring guns to school. He laughed, spit on me, and called me a faggot.

that is every kind of awful

i used to get called a faggot and did people's homework for money in middle school

Ulises on
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ugh.

Kids are evil and so long as there's a group of people that are looked down upon there will always be bulling.
    Man I got teased for my name. Kids will look for anything. It doesn't matter if you're gay or not.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
    edited January 2011
    I found being lovable helps you not be bullied. if enough people don't hate you no one even bothers anymore. They go after people they know no one will help. Don't be that person. or that group. I honestly have no idea. I got bullied a bit, then i punched the ring leader in the face and everything got settled.

Melding on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    people thought i was gay in high school because i didnt really interact with other people a whole lot

that sucked

and it wasn't even that bad, i cant imagine what some other kids go through these days

i wish bullying would stop, but adolescence is such a strange period where people don't really know the boundaries and consequences of actions

i just hope people that are bullying find a way to tell someone and find a way out that isn't suicide or hard drugs or what have you

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited January 2011
    yeah, fighting fixed every problem i had

Ulises on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

this is like one time recently when i got bullied

i snapped back at the kid and basically went on a tirade about how he and everyone like him were the reason why the american dream will always be an unachievable myth and how he was an awful human being beyond redemption

at one point i compared him to Glenn Beck, and then he started to cry, which made me feel bad

Sweeney Tom on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Was bullied in high school.

Later, the individual in question took a bad fall and was paralyzed from the neck down.

Mother of all mixed emotions, there.

chiasaur11 on
    edited January 2011
    See now I wish fighting back actually WAS the best way of dealing with bullying.

But actually no. Its not. Not always, anyway,
    Because bullies are the popular kids. Punching the popular kids makes you less popular and therefore more bullied.

Better to join a group they won't fuck with, or get used to it.
    Also I'm pissed.

Cowardly on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was bullied too, but never that bad :(

Sorry hugs, you get all the hugs I got.

Muse Among Men on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is a guy on my old community college campus who was all "Pfft, bullying, bully back, ya sissies."

I just smirked and answered, "Ah, so two wrongs make a right in your world. Fascinating."

And he looked at me like he was going to whoop my ass.

Lucky Cynic on
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm glad things like this exist now:
    http://www.itgetsbetter.org/

When I was a kid in middle school I was bullied some. For me it was more the FEAR of being bullied that scared me and I got off easy compared to a lot of kids I hear about. It made me pretty insular for a large part of my teens.

It feels positive that more people are aware of bullying now, though it's unfortunate that certain types of bullying, particularly homophobic shit, is supported b a subset of adults.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
    edited January 2011
    Ulises wrote: »
    yeah, fighting fixed every problem i had

fixed a lot of mine, your mileage might vary of course. Talking things out with people also fixed a lot of problems. Also being likeable.

Melding on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I used to be bullied in elementary school, by one kid in particular. Then I kicked him in the face.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As long as people are starting anti-bully coalitions everytime this kind of stuff happens, I suppose the problem will be solved in 10-20 years.

Who's putting homophobic sociopathogens in our drinking water?

Xehalus on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    my mother thought/maybe thinks that i'm gay

Projeck on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This sucks ass, and I wish it would stop. I just don't get why they kids are killing themselves. Ok, I wasn't gay. I was the fat kid. From first grade until half way through my Jr. Year of high school I was beat up, called names, kicked around, and had a very small group of friends who where the same. I have been beat until bloodied, had my glasses broken, my bike stolen, forced to eat dog shit, and wedgied so hard my underpants split. I channeled it into reading, and weight lifting. Now I'm huge and I'm going to make more money then any of those assholes who treated me like shit in school. Same with all my friends. Hell, my best friends was openly gay in high school, and he was teased for it sure, but kids stopped beating up on him for fear of being considered a biggot.

Mostly I think its parents and the schools. One of the kids who beat up on me for forever? yeah he got expeled and his parents put him in catholic school, now hes a pastour and a father of 2. I see a lot of little shits at my work, kids who cause problems for the sake of it, and when we kick them out we get phone calls from the parents saying their little angels would never throw popcorn at a handicapped guy. Except that I saw it. raise your kids to treat people with respect and none of this kind of shit will happen.

/end rant

Bucketman on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bullying will likely never be completely resolved, barring mind stapling for everyone ever. It will always be a battle showing kids the right of things, and one that will be at least marginally easier to deal with as we figure out more about the human brain and psychology.

I received plenty of bullying growing up, and most of it was other kids calling my friends and myself gay (we weren't) and otherwise acting like we were dogshit. Never was a fan of my class, and most of my friends were a year older or younger than I was. Freshman year of high school upgraded to straight-up physical abuse until I found out what little baby cowards those fucks were. At least one of them wrote back to me online years later (claiming to be drunk, to boot) apologizing for the shit he did, blaming his actions on a rough home life, which is something I was never willing to dispute. It actually felt good having a reasons why, even if it was from just one kid that likely didn't represent the majority.

Just felt like saying that. :S

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited January 2011
    In fairness, I'm now big and intimidating enough for bullying not to happen, and reckless and enough of a cunt to make sure if it did, it wouldn't happen again, but in highschool, when its you against a half-dozen people who hate you for reasons you have no control over, fighting back is dumb.

Gives them more reason to be more violent, you see.

Cowardly on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh and I did fight back. Got kicked off the wrestling team for beating the shit out of two assholes who thought it would be funny to roll me up in a mat.

Then got suspended for beating up said kid who wound up in Catholic School after he punched me in the balls.

Bucketman on
    edited January 2011
    I was teased of being skinny but I think at some point people began believing I was actually sick or diseased somehow and decided to leave me alone :/

Shitty as it is in many respects I love that my highschool is so drat nice.

Muse Among Men on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As7 wrote: »
    I'm glad things like this exist now:
    http://www.itgetsbetter.org/

Dan Savage is basically the best person ever for this and also all those other things he does

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kids are awful.

i was bullied in elementary school because i was pretty much fresh off the boat, didn't really do anything about it, it just stopped after a while, nothing too serious.

i wish more bullying situations had resolutions like in the movies, with an embarassing comeuppance and a freeze frame with a shitty ending for the bully written out in text

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited January 2011
    solution to bullying: get good at basketball

Ulises on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    show of hands, who here was not bullied?

nobody?

that's what I thought

PiptheFair on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got bullied a little as a kid due to being handicapped (and a nerd), up until the day I got annoyed and backhanded one of them with my prosthetic. After that I guess they realized it probably wasn't a good idea to pick on the kid with the mechanical arm.

By the later years of high school I was actually friends with some of them.

So yes, in my case fighting back was the answer, but it was also a special case since I had the advantage of being a cyborg. In most cases I would say violence isn't the answer because depending on the bully they either are doing it just to get a rise out of you (much like an internet troll), or they are doing it to feel superior(thus if you fight back and lose they'd validate their opinion, and if you fight back and win they'd likely seek revenge for their bruised ego which creates more problems).

Lars on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xehalus wrote: »
    As long as people are starting anti-bully coalitions everytime this kind of stuff happens, I suppose the problem will be solved in 10-20 years.

Who's putting homophobic sociopathogens in our drinking water?
    srsly

Xehalus on
    edited January 2011
    Dude I would love to be friends with a cyborg!

Muse Among Men on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think calling kids awful and walking away from it is counterproductive to solving the problem.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited January 2011
    i am wary of cyborgs. i wouldn't be a good friend, but i would certainly stay on your better side.

Melding on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i was never bullied

Projeck on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    if he wasn't bullied for being gay he would've been bullied for having a shitty haircut

people will bully people period, they find a sensitive issue with the person and exploit it

PiptheFair on