As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So Hothead Games posted on their twitter...

TeburninatorTeburninator Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Penny Arcade Games
...about an hour ago that if we got 100k friends to buy episode 1 and 2 they'd make episode 3. I think this was retracted after cwgabriel said in response
"@HotheadGames that's actually not true."

I wonder if Hothead is prepared to make episode 3 but PA just doesn't want to. Or maybe it's just Hothead's twitter person being a tard. Anyone know the sales levels of episode one and two, just for posterity's sake?

Anywho, thanks for getting my hopes up, again, Hothead. :(

Teburninator on

• fuze9fuze9 Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Sorry - Joystiq's just made a post clarifying the whole incident:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/10/penny-arcade-adventures-tearing-up-mac-app-store-charts-ep-3-s/
    "That's certainly news to me!" Penny Arcade biz dude Robert Khoo told Joystiq, adding, "there's nothing new to say about future [episodes]." Penny Arcade's Mike Krahulik responded to Hothead's tweet, stating simply, "that's actually not true."

fuze9 on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Regardless, it's fairly obvious that sales were the reason Hothead wasn't willing to put the "effort" in required by PA.

Nice of Hothead to confirm that sales of 1 and 2 were why they jumped onto DeathSpank.

It's all about big business after all.

BlackDove on
  • zombiefriendzombiefriend Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, too bad the sales on the Mac aren't helping. Oh, well. It's been a long time. I think we've all had time to heal by now...

zombiefriend on
    mmmmm
  • TeburninatorTeburninator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, too bad the sales on the Mac aren't helping. Oh, well. It's been a long time. I think we've all had time to heal by now...

Some scars never heal. SOME. SCARS. NEVER. HEAL. *muffled sobbing*

Teburninator on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just read the written version of Part 3. It's pretty funny, if a little hard to follow.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just read the written version of Part 3. It's pretty funny, if a little hard to follow.

Yeah that's my problem with it too. The method of delivery just isn't nearly as engaging as the game. Tycho has never been easy to read and his style makes it difficult to follow along.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited January 2011
    Really? I don't find it hard to follow. I've always really liked his writing style.

zombiefriend on
    mmmmm
  • FlamesFlames Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    See, this is why I don't believe in twitter. It only spawns lies.

As for the story, it's interesting and fairly in-depth. Different than the game, definitely, but I'm all right with it.

Except for the last two chapters. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the crap just happened.

Flames on
    edited January 2011
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/14/hothead-sheds-more-light-on-the-death-of-penny-arcade-adventures/

Sounds like the stuff that's been in the podcasts/videos. The need for one man to write an entire game in a short period does sound like a daunting task (especially when it's a fucking text adventure game), and IIRC Holkins didn't want anyone else to write it/help with it, which is understandable.

I mean, stop me if I'm wrong, but I know of plenty of games out there with 2-4 year development cycles, that had atrocious stories, as if they were an afterthought.

Deathspank, a game I presume had several different writers, did not blow me away with the quality of the writing, in fact, its writing did nothing for me whatsoever. Perhaps there's something to not allowing just anyone to piss whatever on the page for the sake of "The return on this investment is insubstantial, the script must be done tomorrow, or else."

BlackDove on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Really? I don't find it hard to follow. I've always really liked his writing style.

I don't find the individual chapters difficult to follow, but they don't flow together very well - one chapter will end at a house, the next will be in the middle of a bank heist, and the non-linearity of the other chapters is equally as confusing.

I still love it. It has so many great lines, I just wish the narrative flow was a little smoother.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/14/hothead-sheds-more-light-on-the-death-of-penny-arcade-adventures/

Sounds like the stuff that's been in the podcasts/videos. The need for one man to write an entire game in a short period does sound like a daunting task (especially when it's a fucking text adventure game), and IIRC Holkins didn't want anyone else to write it/help with it, which is understandable.

I mean, stop me if I'm wrong, but I know of plenty of games out there with 2-4 year development cycles, that had atrocious stories, as if they were an afterthought.

Deathspank, a game I presume had several different writers, did not blow me away with the quality of the writing, in fact, its writing did nothing for me whatsoever. Perhaps there's something to not allowing just anyone to piss whatever on the page for the sake of "The return on this investment is insubstantial, the script must be done tomorrow, or else."

That's business. Oftentimes the needs of an artist and a business are in conflict; and after reading the entirety of the Eurogamer article linked on Joystiq, my impression is that this conflict eventually resulted in Holkins opting to take his ball and go home.

While there's some new information in there, none of it is surprising. For all his talent, Mr. Holkins's contributions to the Penny Arcade webcomic are usually no more substantial than to make Mike's jokes sound better. When dealing directly with a company that equates an eight-hour work day with eight hours of working, he was unable to cope, and I can't imagine how frustrated Hothead must have been with that situation.

Nijhazer on
    edited January 2011
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    Mr. Holkins's contributions to the Penny Arcade webcomic are usually no more substantial than to make Mike's jokes sound better.

Not to digress or diminish your point by just quoting a part of your argument, but I would not quite agree with that one. That's only the superficial impression you can get from the reality show they've got going on, but that's not exactly how it really is, in fact, it is exactly how it is not. I'm sure we could get into a pretty rewarding discussion regarding how graphic art and simple thematic messages are important too, but without strong themes, it's generally nothing more than pissing in the wind. I would actually attribute the success of Penny Arcade more to Holkins than to Krahulik, personally, with my outside-of-the-loop observant perspective.

As far as business goes, yeah, doing the right thing isn't the same as doing the good thing.

I'm gonna go ahead and argue for the "artist" here, with all evidence of the current writing in video games (Hothead or otherwise) to support it.

Not that I have any insight into whether or not "Mr. Holkins" is a massive lazy douchebag that does 1 hour of work per day max, but I'm just saying that whatever solutions Hothead had, were probably less than optimal in the grand scheme of things, considering a text adventure game is grounded so deeply in the text that supports it, that the Final Fantasy derivative gameplay and the cel-shaded art, play the sidekick role exclusively throughout.

BlackDove on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2011
    I think people should keep their unfounded speculation about the decision not to make Episode 3 to themselves. No one outside of Penny Arcade and Hothead is qualified to say the reasons for it.

Tube on
  • JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whatever the reasons, I hope it doesn't sour them on trying another game in the future.

Jishian on
    edited January 2011
    Jishian wrote: »
    Whatever the reasons, I hope it doesn't sour them on trying another game in the future.

Yeah, I would LOVE to see what else they could come up with.

zombiefriend on
    mmmmm
  • FlamesFlames Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah, I would LOVE to see what else they could come up with.

I think it was on the Telltale forums, but someone suggested a PA fighting game. I would be so down with that.

Flames on
    edited January 2011
    I don't think I'd want a fighting game. I would want another game that's story driven. How would you be able to enjoy Jerry's amazing writing in a fighting game?

But then again, I WOULD love to beat people up as a Fruit Fucker...

zombiefriend on
    mmmmm
    edited January 2011
    Okay, I re-read all of episode 3 and the only thing I don't really understand is the overarching plot and the significance of the ending.

I feel totally nebbish and stupid for not getting it.

MalReynolds on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't think I'd want a fighting game. I would want another game that's story driven. How would you be able to enjoy Jerry's amazing writing in a fighting game?

Okay, you know how in Soul Calibur, before fights the narrator/announcer is saying that nonsensical metaphysical stuff? It'd be like that, but funnier.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011

Okay, you know how in Soul Calibur, before fights the narrator/announcer is saying that nonsensical metaphysical stuff? It'd be like that, but funnier.

T_____________T

zombiefriend on
    mmmmm
    edited January 2011
    It's incredibly hard to make a good fighting game

Tube on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They could always do a CTS platformer.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd be thrilled with a PA brawler similar to to the Scott Pilgrim one. I can't imagine the costs and the writing demands of a simple beat em up like that would be terrible either.

I also kind of wish they had wrapped up this story in a more visual way - like as a series of strips. It would have been really nice given how much of the personality and charm of the first 2 and of PA in general comes from the art style and character design. I realize it would have been harder for them and probably resulted in a more simplified story but I found it kind of weird reading the end to a video game based on a comic as a text...

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited January 2011
    A brawler would be an awesome idea. In fact, a brawler would go perfect with the Precipice of Darkness; just get Tycho a different weapon and bam.

But I'm also more interested in seeing what kind of story they could do. So, a beat 'em up + a new story = greatness.

zombiefriend on
    mmmmm
    edited January 2011
    Oh yeah, a brawler would be great. A 1v1 fighter would be a nightmare though.

Tube on
  • jippeejippee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

how so? I've always wondered who would ultimately win my affection. Tycho the brain or Gabe the beast.

Oh wait that's not a brawler.
    That's the Forlorn Hope fighting the future.

jippee on
    Nellie the elephant packed her trunk
    and trundled off to the jungle
    off she rode with a trumpety trump
    trump trump trump

• InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Always get bummed when I remember Cardboard Tube Showdown died, a PA brawler would be super fun I think.

Inkyblots on
  • PeachrocksPeachrocks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Could work. For storyline, simply do something similar to subspace emissary, but please much better. Though with Jerry writing, I really doubt we have anything to worry about unlike with king of obvious bias Sakurai.

The biggest thing in my mind that detracted from that was the fact the Kirby characters had way more attention then they should have done.

Peachrocks on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would go apeshit for a Scott Pilgrim-style Penny Arcade brawler.

Gaslight on
  • SmilingoatSmilingoat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would honestly pay $50 to penny-arcade/hothead just to be able to BUY the game.

honestly i wish there was some kind of "support the third penny-arcade game" donation bin.

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    that would be nice

Xaquin on
  • freakazoidfreakazoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    honestly i wish there was some kind of "support the third penny-arcade game" donation bin.

Genius!

I say we all send bottles of urine to everyone involved in not getting a third one. mwuahahaha Sort of like how people sent a mass amount of packing peanuts to get Firefly back on the air.

freakazoid on
    Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    edited February 2011
    I think people that are actually still hoping Episode 3 is magically made one day should just learn to let go. Let go, man.

zombiefriend on
    mmmmm
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    freakazoid wrote: »

Genius!

I say we all send bottles of urine to everyone involved in not getting a third one. mwuahahaha Sort of like how people sent a mass amount of packing peanuts to get Firefly back on the air.

And look how well that worked out.

Gaslight on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    freakazoid wrote: »

Genius!

Jericho, not Firefly. And they were actual peanuts.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jippee wrote: »

how so? I've always wondered who would ultimately win my affection. Tycho the brain or Gabe the beast.

Oh wait that's not a brawler.
    That's the Forlorn Hope fighting the future.

Because fighting games are incredibly complex, deep and nuanced games that even the companies that have been making them for decades now tend to muck up a decent amount.

Inquisitor on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow, I'm seriously late on the uptake here. I picked up eps 1 and 2 in a steam sale a little while back and enjoyed the hell out of them, I've been looking around steam for an Ep three since not realising the idea had been scrapped over a year before I ever picked the franchise up.

It's really dissapointing news, the game itself may have been a bit basic but the writing was great and it's been a long time since I played something with such a good atmosphere.

Here's hoping they change their minds somewhere down the line. :(

Casual on
  • ThatoneJeffThatoneJeff Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Played Episode One. Beginning Episode Two. Honestly I could care less about playing the games I just want closure in the story itself.

Are these Episode Three chapters it, or... maybe more?

ThatoneJeff on