As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The enemy gate is destroyed!

FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Social Entropy++
Now is the time for brave hearts and brave deeds!

Medieval%20II%20-%20Total%20War.jpg

Possibly the best strategy game ever made, errybody loves Medieval II: Total War and it's expansion. Everyone. It's like $10 on steam right now, get it.

I've been playing as Venice. I'm gonna try to actually beat the game and then maybe play as the Danes or the Sicilians. I'm pounding my way against the HRE, Milan (I took Milan and Genoa, they're stuck in two shitty french castles), Hungary, and the Byzantine empire. I'm winning right now thanks to Venetian Heavy Infantry and Dismounted Feudal Knights. I'm also making like 6000 florins a turn because holy crap Venice is in a position to make stacks with enough merchants/merchants guilds.

I hear there are some good mods too

I wanna play the LOTR mod

Who else loves this goddamn game so much

reposig.jpg
Fandyien on

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shogun 2 is going to kick so much ass.

Can't wait for it.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am making the Byzantines my bitch with good infantry

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Lord of the Rings mod for this is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo amazing.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    this game would be way more enjoyable if it weren't for that god damned pope

MrMonroe on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    this game would be way more enjoyable if it weren't for that god damned pope

Fucker just ruins everything.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    stack the college of cardinals with your own and assasinate the ones you don't like

also kill popes you don't like

lots of assassins

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    beat and then play as an islamic state, bringing the word of allah to the heathen whiteys

L|ama on
    edited January 2011
    Giving the Papal States money usually improves their relation with you enough for you to do whatever you want.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love Medieval 2

Love it sooooooo bad

Solar on
  • Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Shogun 2 is going to kick so much ass.

Can't wait for it.

I will buy it on day one, and be pissed how buggy it is. Then play the shit out of it.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have played hundreds of hours of this game and never once actually beaten a long campaign. Never even made it to the New World.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    edited January 2011
    Fandyien wrote: »
    stack the college of cardinals with your own and assasinate the ones you don't like

also kill popes you don't like

lots of assassins

oh trust me

I'm with Stalin on this one

death solves all problems; no pope, no problem

MrMonroe on
    edited January 2011
    I'm the same. I can't complete a campaign because the challenge is just sucked away after a while.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Short campaigns are more fun in a way

You can just blast through them with a definitive objective

Solar on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    im so terrible at this game, although I really enjoyed it.

M.D. on
    edited January 2011
    I've never actually tried a short campaign. I usually end up blitzing a bunch of cities at once, so I don't know how much mileage I'd get out of one.

I've always been more partial to Rome: Total War anyway. I'm a huge Rome fanboy and the Barbarian Invasion expansion with the Western Empire was just the right amount of challenge for me.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Long games are always annoying after a while in every total war game. You'd be surprised how many games of Rome I've bailed on because fuck bothering with conquering northern Europe

it's a shithole!

wait, maybe you wouldn't be surprised

MrMonroe on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah I always make plans to conquer the entirety of the world as egypt or something then realise about a third of the way through that I can do it easily and get bored of it

L|ama on
    edited January 2011
    Russia is an interminable shithole and unless you're the Byzantines or an Islamic state, so is Outremer

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

edited January 2011
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Russia is an interminable shithole and unless you're the Byzantines or an Islamic state, so is Outremer

I like playing as the Byzantines

It has a nice Rome: Total War feel in a way

You know, the Middle East, the Greeks and Persians (OK, Islamic states but whatever)

Solar on
  • jotjot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just started playing this!
    I am hopelessly lost and have no idea whatsoever what I'm doing.
    And the tutorial didn't help at all, it was just like "here are some menus which will confuse the fuck out of you, now go attack that city!"

jot on
    edited January 2011
    Just build peasant units

and hurl them at your enemies

You can't lose

Solar on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nothing beats being the first son of a bitch to develop gun powder units in this game.

Oh how quaint...you have armored swordsmen and pikemen. Look at that, some archers...aren't you a big boy. BAM! SUCK CANNON BALLS BITCHES!

Hunter on
  • jotjot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Just build peasant units

and hurl them at your enemies

You can't lose

but Solar I'm not playing as Russia

jot on
    edited January 2011
    You say that, but when they first come along they are shite

You're better off with archers throughout most of the game (well, if you are playing as England anyway)

Also Jot it's that mindset which will lose you this game

Remember

The peasants are only there to hold up your glorious empire. Sacrifice them to your mighty will!

Solar on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game is okay, I guess.

NotASenator on
    edited January 2011
    The biggest dick move is to start as the Moors, rush Caravan Depots and flood Europe with camel gunners. Those guys with a bunch of experience are murder machines and dirty turnip pullin' Euros do not know what the fuck

Hobnail on

• ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not too keen on doing the battle-map stuff, which wasn't such a big problem until I tried to conquer the Holy Land, which turned out to be chock full of Mongols. It turns out it's really, really hard to beat 10-star generals without any generals of your own, which means you won't get any more generals. 80 years and 30000 men later, I finally crushed the fuckers and then the Timurids showed up.

I cried.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    this game annoyed me so much

despite trying to carefully breed my family to be cool people, i just got increasingly terrible pieces of shit

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited January 2011
    You just have to make them actually do things. Even lots of small pissant victories will boost a general's traits and huge arse-fucking defensive victories where you lose 150 goons to the attacker's 2600 will make a hard dude out of the most useless of pussies.

Hobnail on

edited January 2011
    If you get a really shitty royal in your family, it's often better to move him out solo into the ocean and wait for a random pirate vessel to come over and fuck his day up. Sometimes you just have to prune the family tree.

Hunter on
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    no this is the best strategy game ever made

Medieval-Total-War-Viking-Invasion-Boxart.jpg

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Arang wrote: »
    I'm not too keen on doing the battle-map stuff, which wasn't such a big problem until I tried to conquer the Holy Land, which turned out to be chock full of Mongols. It turns out it's really, really hard to beat 10-star generals without any generals of your own, which means you won't get any more generals. 80 years and 30000 men later, I finally crushed the fuckers and then the Timurids showed up.

I cried.

I loved shit like this

Where I had to bleed sweat and tears for every provicne I took, where those of my men who survived were formed into elite units of savage bastards, where my generals were hardened, tough men who knew who to keep the local population in line.

The parts of the game where you are throwing everything into a war desperate to win, fighting every battle personally to squeeze as many surviving men out as you can, those are the best parts.

Solar on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    total war for life

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited January 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Arang wrote: »

I cried.

I loved shit like this

Where I had to bleed sweat and tears for every provicne I took, where those of my men who survived were formed into elite units of savage bastards, where my generals were hardened, tough men who knew who to keep the local population in line.

The parts of the game where you are throwing everything into a war desperate to win, fighting every battle personally to squeeze as many surviving men out as you can, those are the best parts.

This is exactly why I loved playing as the WRE in Barbarian Invasion. You basically get a crumbling empire thrown in your lap along with a countdown: get your shit together before the hordes arrive or die.

I've once beaten the crap out of the vandals with one half stack army filled with Palatine Guard, led by my ''best'' 3-star general. Four stacks of horse archers against that tiny army. If it wasn't for the bridge I was camping on I would've lost my campaign, but even with the bridge it was a hell of a tough fight. They'd pelt me with arrows before charging through, killing half the dudes around. Eventually they'd charge over and give the Guard a ton of experience. I believe all of the units were decimated but with atleast triple silver chevrons at the end of it. The general went from 3 stars to 8, along with a bunch of other combat related traits that made him a godlike figure.

And then he rebelled.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    no, the enemy gate is down

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    no, the enemy gate is down

Salaam, Snowbeat.

NotASenator on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This seems like a game I need to play.

Worst case scenario I lose a few hours of time and $10.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    edited January 2011
    It's so fun. When you start forming an army of guys that survive one campaign after another, and are just hardened bitter bastards with nothing but bloodlust, it's so awesome.

Then you throw your weak pawn troops at the enemy, specifically trying to knock out their archers or siege weapons. When they feel all good about themselves, then you bring your Immortals in to rape their soul.

Hunter on