As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superman: Man of Tomorrow! (and his dog)

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    On a sadder note, Steel #1 is pretty much going to happen the way we thought it was. Get those black armbands ready.
    I think the only question is, will Steel be the only one to die, or will it be both Steel and Natasha?

Munch on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

On a sadder note, Steel #1 is pretty much going to happen the way we thought it was. Get those black armbands ready.

?

Hensler on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2011
    Hensler wrote: »

?

Steel is probably going to die

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »

?

Steel is probably going to die

:(

Hensler on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I agree with you re: the cover but 50 pages of Cornell Action Comics makes me absolutely giddy.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't wait for Superman's response to seeing the Lois robot.

If Pete Woods just referenced the "WTF Piccard" meme for Superman's reaction, that would be perfect.

TexiKen on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, what is it with Finch and making everything look like plaster and spackling?

Linespider5 on
    edited January 2011
    Alex Ross variant for Action #900:

1294694395.jpg

I swear I've seen this before, used for another promo piece or something. And again it's a darker cover for such an historic anniversary issue.

TexiKen on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's a really impressive and mostly dynamic illustration, especially for Ross, but I can't shake the feeling that Superman is gonna kill the fuck out of all three guys with that car.

...Is that Dan Didio on the left?

Linespider5 on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I could have sworn that was the cover to one of the issues under James Robinson's Superman run. Maybe it was one they intended to use, but then set it aside as a stock cover.

Lux on
    edited January 2011
    Lux wrote: »
    I could have sworn that was the cover to one of the issues under James Robinson's Superman run. Maybe it was one they intended to use, but then set it aside as a stock cover.

Yes! That's where I remembered it from. I think it was supposed to be the original cover to Superman #675 or 676, right before Robinson's run started.

TexiKen on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gotta say, I don't much care for that cover. Probably because I have no idea what's going on.

Did Superman lift up a car and find a dude with a gun underneath it? Is he smashing the dude with the gun? Is he ignoring the dude with the gun and assaulting someone's vehicle? I honestly can't tell what the idea is that the picture is trying to convey.

Lucascraft on
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Gotta say, I don't much care for that cover. Probably because I have no idea what's going on.

Did Superman lift up a car and find a dude with a gun underneath it? Is he smashing the dude with the gun? Is he ignoring the dude with the gun and assaulting someone's vehicle? I honestly can't tell what the idea is that the picture is trying to convey.

It's an alternate history story set in the 60's - Superman is helping America win the Space Race by throwing the car into orbit. The other guys are Soviet sleeper agents sent to stop him with kryptonite bullets. Duh.

Hensler on
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Going by one of the comments at the DCU Source blog, the cover was to tie into the original story for Superman #676, which dealt with the guy in the bottom left corner and his point of view in seeing Superman for the first time. But it was replaced with a Alan Scott Solomon Grundy story that was originally commissioned for Superman: Confidential. So it looks like it's supposed to be a normal person's first encounter with a meta. Although that car he tossed in the air looks like it will come down right on the car lighting up Superman in the background...

TexiKen on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love that the guy clutching his head in terror looks like comedy legend Don Rickles.

Centipede Damascus on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    don rickles and superman have a very tumultuous history, centi

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I was thinking either him or Jim Cramer.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited January 2011
    Chris Roberson's first issue of Superman was, shall we say, interesting. It starts with a visual homage to the classic "faster than a speeding bullet/more powerful than a locomotive/able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" tagline, and then moves into a story about Superman settling a dispute between a factory that's polluting the environment, and Lois Lane, who's trying to reveal the truth. At which point Superman decides the factory jobs are too important to the well-being of the town, and not only will he not help Lois bring the story to light, but he'll actually stop her from publishing it. He says all this while grabbing her by the arm and giving her that scary, Lifetime Original Movie abusive husband stare-down.

???

But then--
    --members of the Superman Squad show up, and ask Superman if he's been feeling weird lately.

The going theory is that Roberson is retconning the past few months, as Superman legitimately losing his mind, or having some kind of breakdown. Lois even quips that he's acting like he's under the effects of Red Kryptonite.

I have to say, I'm not really interested enough to keep reading, but it was an improvement over what I've read of JMS's Superman. Primarily because Roberson seems intent on undermining the whole Grounded concept. Within the first three pages, Lois makes fun of Superman using a cellphone, asking why he doesn't just use his super-hearing and super-ventriloquism to talk to her. Actually, Roberson's Lois seems to be the voice of the skeptical reader, in a lot of ways.

But Roberson's also embracing a very Silver Age aesthetic, not just by giving nods to super-ventriloquism and Red Kryptonite, or using the Superman Squad, but by using things like thought balloons. I mean, the issue has Superman making a tornado, which carries water to a burning factory. That's old school cartoon shit.

I hesitate to call this issue good, but if Roberson's going where I think he is with this, it could end up being an interesting subversion of what JMS was doing.

Munch on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Actually, I tried reading Roberson's Batman/Superman issues, and it's got the same aesthetic with the choppy dialogue and the thought balloons. I actually had to put it down after a few pages.

Still, if that's the direction, it's very interesting, but at the same time, I thought this was supposed to be sticking entirely to JMS's notes.

HadjiQuest on
    edited January 2011
    Everything read like it was JMS' plan until the last two pages. And the environment/business angle was Captain Planet levels of bias, making Superman's decision even more stupid.

While I wouldn't be opposed to what Munch spoilered in order to make Grounded never happen, I would much rather this all be Parasite's fault. and just never bring it up again. Or this could be a multiverse earth that is subsequently destroyed during Flashpoint.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    I picked it up again out of curiosity!

Superman's decision on the environmental angle is a believably bad JMS decision. "I feel bad for the fishes, but we're okay!" as if all pollution does is kill fish and has no ripple effect.

I was absolutely bored with the thought balloon style and the hokey cliche tasks. Everything up to the environmentalist argument reads like one of those free comic books that comes with DC brand popsicles, or something. Putting out a factory fire is the kind of conflict that children would write into a comic, I don't know why it had to be so by the numbers. Unless they're aiming for something really meta.

Lux on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm liking Cornell's Action Comics a lot, but I just can't get over that Lois robot. It's completely ridiculous, way past creepy, and doesn't seem like something Lex would do (or at least take out in public like he does)

Garlic Bread on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    143999 wrote: »

I was thinking either him or Jim Cramer.

Superman is like, "YOU TOLD ME BEAR STEARNS WAS A GOOD INVESTMENT!

LET'S SEE IF YOU CAN REMEMBER WHERE YOU PARKED NOW, CRAMER!"

KalTorak on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The factory on fire thing is a Superman III reference. The movie where Superman is being controlled by an outside force.

There's zero chance that's not intentional.

Furu on
    edited January 2011
    I'm liking Cornell's Action Comics a lot, but I just can't get over that Lois robot. It's completely ridiculous, way past creepy, and doesn't seem like something Lex would do (or at least take out in public like he does)

I don't really know what kind of Luthor we're supposed to have after Infinite Crisis. He's no longer the brilliant evil businessman but somewhere between mad scientist and almost a nerd like awkwardness who no longer was married or had a daughter or was seen as a playboy in the same vein of Bruce Wayne.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    I can prove that A) Luthor ain't no playboy and B) the Lois-Bot makes total sense, with one image.

2rhabnc.jpg

Munch on
    edited January 2011
    Booster Gold foresaw Lois robot and Max killing Ted in 80's panels!

Well that was when he was in his chubby 80's motif, wait until he trimmed down after getting acquitted and before becoming President. And I'm pretty sure Hope and Mercy were more than just bodyguards.

And who can compete with Booster Gold, really? That's unfair. Not even Bruce or Dick are at that level (and in B&R's last arc Cornell kind of made the point Bruce didn't even sleep with all those women on his shoulders, which I found interesting).

TexiKen on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nice pull

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited January 2011
    And who can compete with Booster Gold, really? That's unfair.
    Well, past-Booster. Present-Booster would just sit around crying a lot. All trying to show girls the poetry he wrote about Blue Beetle.

Munch on
    edited January 2011
    It's not the android that I have a problem with

It's that it's a Lois android.

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    And who can compete with Booster Gold, really? That's unfair.
    Well, past-Booster. Present-Booster would just sit around crying a lot. All trying to show girls the poetry he wrote about Blue Beetle.

Naturally. When you don't have a collar, girls don't holla, yo.

edit: on the subject of Lois-bot, a preview page from 897 where Lex meets the Joker:

ac_897_dylux_-3-copy.jpg

Cornell writing Joker should be a treat.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011

Oh, it's totally sketchy and weird. But I also can kind of understand it. Lois has been a thorn in his side for years, and for a guy like Lex, who isn't used to people screwing with him, I could see him developing an attraction to her. But at the same time, he can just shut her down any time she starts to bug him, which meshes with his insecurity and desire to always be in control.

Plus, Lois is off on her tour through America with Superman, so I imagine it's easier for Lex to pass off his robot as the real thing.

Munch on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Munch wrote: »

Oh, it's totally sketchy and weird. But I also can kind of understand it. Lois has been a thorn in his side for years, and for a guy like Lex, who isn't used to people screwing with him, I could see him developing an attraction to her. But at the same time, he can just shut her down any time she starts to bug him, which meshes with his insecurity and desire to always be in control.

Plus, Lois is off on her tour through America with Superman, so I imagine it's easier for Lex to pass off his robot as the real thing.

That's a pretty good explanation.

Also, the Lois-bot clearly has her own agenda, and we'll probably learn more about her creation as that agenda is revealed. Maybe that will help explain why Lex made her.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone else read the last issue? I was confused by the ending.
    Did Robo-Lois push Spalding, or did the Joker? Also, loved the Doctor Who reference.

Tairu on
    edited January 2011
    Tairu wrote: »
    Did Robo-Lois push Spalding, or did the Joker? Also, loved the Doctor Who reference.

I believe she did push him in, going by the panel before with her ominous gleaming eye, and then Joker looking at her after Spalding got eated by the sphere. I think she expected something different, which is why she went "oh...oh no"

I do wonder if Batman would go after the Joker if Lex killed him, though.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    Tairu wrote: »

I believe she did push him in, going by the panel before with her ominous gleaming eye, and then Joker looking at her after Spalding got eated by the sphere. I think she expected something different, which is why she went "oh...oh no"

I do wonder if Batman would go after the Joker if Lex killed him, though.
    Lois pushed him in, but Joker took the blame. He probably realized that Lois had her own hidden agenda from Lex, and didn't want to spoil it. It's funnier that way.

Lux on
    edited January 2011
    I did like that Pete Woods added the mouth-scars and bullet wound from Morrison's Batman run to the Joker

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2011
    8304823485.jpg

Who is the one character missing in that photo? That's right, Krypto vs. Doomsday (Supergirl looks less knocked out and more fall down drunk for that cover)

And worth noting is that in the Superman 80 page giant on sale Wednesday Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover doing a Lois Lane story, should be a treat.

TexiKen on
    edited February 2011
    Oh shit, all the heroes are knocked out on the cover!

Never before have I seen such a thing!

Seriously, it's a great drawing, but c'mon Rocafort. You're better than that.

Munch on