As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

From WBEZ Public Radio in Chicago

• ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Topics-Covered_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg

It is problematic that any of these items will in fact do favorably against just about anything on television today.

St. Patricks day and the Jew? Beats the hell out of the nineteenth crossover of "so you think you can dance" and "biggest loser." Beats A&E's new show about people who are literally on the verge of death from being so fat. Beats women who just need a hug on the Bachelor.

Holy shit entertainment about normal human beings without a drug addiction or a weight problem or an emotional issue does well?!!? WHAT?????

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    RadioLab is a much better show.

Rank I love you.

I always try to talk about radiolab and people are like ew yuck radiolab.

But you get it, Rank. you get it.

Is it like Stereolab?
    Because I like Stereolab

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    rank I love you

PiptheFair on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I have never heard of this

sell it to me

YaYa on
    edited January 2011
    Radio lab would be okay if it didn't have the sound effects that gave me a headache

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    YaYa wrote: »

sell it to me

Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich discuss sciency sorts of things but in really interesting ways. They format their show like TAL, separating the time around 3-4 stories around a common theme. It's really, really well done and you also learn neat stuff!

For instance, one of their shows is on Deception, one is on Laughing, one is on Dreams, death, etc.

They are about an hour long and they are really good.

edit: I love them all, but a pretty good jumping off point might be to search for the War of the Worlds episode. It's one they did live and in partnership with A Prairie Home Companion and it's great.

Langly on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BusterK wrote: »
    That's a funny joke from the Onion since the exact same thing could be said about The Onion AV Club

Or pretty much all of the Onion.

Not to mention that one of the best stories is about Geoffrey Canada founding Children's Zone in Harlem to try and get young black parents to catch on to what middle-upper class whites do to get their kids to be so damn successful.
    First Act in Episode 364: Going Big

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

sell it to me

http://www.radiolab.org/

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited January 2011
    Langly wrote: »

sell it to me

Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich discuss sciency sorts of things but in really interesting ways. They format their show like TAL, separating the time around 3-4 stories around a common theme. It's really, really well done and you also learn neat stuff!

For instance, one of their shows is on Deception, one is on Laughing, one is on Dreams, death, etc.

They are about an hour long and they are really good.

edit: I love them all, but a pretty good jumping off point might be to search for the War of the Worlds episode. It's one they did live and in partnership with A Prairie Home Companion and it's great.

okay yes I like learning neat stuff I will try this

also The Moth Podcast is super great you all should listen to it

YaYa on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    people getting mad at the onion for being sardonic

what is going on

PiptheFair on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    The Moth is great

many episodes of The Nerdist are also very good

but You Look Nice Today is best

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited January 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    people getting mad at the onion for being sardonic

what is going on

Sarcasm in my satire? Not in God's America!

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait, Wait, Don't tell me. And TAL are two of the best things about chicago. I've even seen the WBEZ studios, right over by navy pier.

Bucketman on
    edited January 2011
    Steve from Blue's Clues has the best fucking Moth story I swear to god

YaYa on
    edited January 2011
    The best part of the War of the Worlds episode is that most people start out knowing what that is all about, so it's even better when they surprise you with what you didn't know/didn't consider.

Langly on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    you know what a better npr series is

wait wait, don't tell me

also car talk

Science Friday!

Arrath on
    edited January 2011
    Actually TAlk of the Nation is bad except for science friday. I think the two are related.

Zoel on
    edited January 2011
    Also, as dumb as much of the AV Club can be, they still have some of the best fucking interviews available anywhere.

Their book, The Tenacity of the Cockroach, is fantastic, and I wish they'd release annual printed collections of their interviews.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh man RadioLab is cool. I always wished I could listen to This American Life and have them talk about something that was interesting to me

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Steve from Blue's Clues has the best fucking Moth story I swear to god

The one about the dude who quit using heroin by switching to crack was right up there

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited January 2011
    also RadioLab has an amazing rundown of The Ring Cycle by Wagner, if you think Opera is lame you should listen to that episode because it is the bomb.

Langly on
    edited January 2011
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, as dumb as much of the AV Club can be, they still have some of the best fucking interviews available anywhere.

Their book, The Tenacity of the Cockroach, is fantastic, and I wish they'd release annual printed collections of their interviews.

The Tenacity of the Cockroach was a loooong time ago

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited January 2011
    BusterK wrote: »

The Tenacity of the Cockroach was a loooong time ago

I know.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited January 2011
    I love that 8 years is now a massive amount of time

thanks internet

YaYa on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so, uh, the diane rehm haters

did you know she has an actual voice issue that she gets treatment for

it's called spasmodic dysphonia and it basically makes her larynx spasm randomly while she's talking

Quoth on
    edited January 2011
    I love that 8 years is now a massive amount of time

thanks internet

thumbsupguy-1.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    we are an angry lot, mean muggin one another about our boring radio shows

you know what one really stinks? that radio quiz one

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited January 2011
    Quoth wrote: »

it's called spasmodic dysphonia and it basically makes her larynx spasm randomly while she's talking

yes we know

does not mean she doesn't sound like Methuselah's mother

nor does it mean we're not the tasteless sort of folks that would poke fun of the fact

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited January 2011

yes we know

does not mean she doesn't sound like Methuselah's mother

nor does it mean we're not the tasteless sort of folks that would poke fun of the fact

ok cool, just checking

Quoth on
  • MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Macera on
    xet8c.gif
    edited January 2011

Quoth I have an idea for a short film that is too technically demanding for me to produce with my current means would you/your husband like to hear about it

it's about a vampire author

trust me I'm going somewhere with this

YaYa on
    edited January 2011

Quoth I have an idea for a short film that is too technically demanding for me to produce with my current means would you/your husband like to hear about it

sure, tell me things

we now own an ungodly amount of equipment so at this point we basically need lights and actors to make a movie and that's it

Quoth on
    edited January 2011
    It is sad that she has that, but her field is radio. If your voice sounds bad it sounds bad.

Langly on
    edited January 2011

sure, tell me things

we now own an ungodly amount of equipment so at this point we basically need lights and actors to make a movie and that's it

I will PM you a plot summary if you like it I will write the script

YaYa on
    edited January 2011
    i think she sounds fine but the normal culture editor for my local npr station is 98 years old and sounds like she dies at the end of every sentence so I have a pretty low bar.

Zoel on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    this is the only radio show

Vann Diras on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Everytime we talk about podcasts I add a few to my list. Gonna check out the moth, and raidolab.

Lately I've been enjoying 11 o'clocl comics, the splendid table, nerdist, and geekbox.

Bucketman on
    edited January 2011
    i am kind of alarmed at the growing relationship between video games, cartoons, and public radio

Zoel on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    this american solid snake

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD