As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Bands

2»

• Options
    ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ChronoHawk wrote: »

Metroid Metal - Great, but No new material to my knowledge. And I bought Varia Suite last year. Wasn't much new music from other M

We brought a new album to PAX West, and have had 2-3 new free releases on our site since then.

Other M sucked for music though, good call - we probably won't be doing much with it, but anybody who's been to a MAGFest show knows by now that we don't just do Metroid stuff anyway =)

Oh wow! Excellent! I apologize for my lack of information. Hope I didn't come off as rude or anything. You guys were great last year.

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • Options
    nitnitnitnit Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not gonna lie. The Protomen going first kind of ruined the concert last year. Why? Because frankly all the other acts paled in comparison. This is coming from a fan of metal/rock concerts. I'm not saying the Protomen's music is better since that is subjective - but their stage presence and ability to engage the crowd just wasn't matched at all that night.

Honestly the Protomen should go last and have at least equal time to the other acts. It's always best to save the most engaging acts for last.

nitnit on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it's a given that Paul & Storm and JoCo are the same night. Last year it was VGO, P&S, JoCo on Saturday night - I just remember the insane setup/take down time for the VGO.

I really want to go to both shows this year (I skipped the Friday shows last year) but I really don't want to have to spend a lot of time queuing. How likely would it be to walk up an hourish before the non-JoCo show and get a seat in the balcony?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I only went to Friday night last year but I literally had to sneak into line and I arrived like an hour early...

nitnit on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    nitnit wrote: »
    I'm not gonna lie. The Protomen going first kind of ruined the concert last year. Why? Because frankly all the other acts paled in comparison. This is coming from a fan of metal/rock concerts. I'm not saying the Protomen's music is better since that is subjective - but their stage presence and ability to engage the crowd just wasn't matched at all that night.

Honestly the Protomen should go last and have at least equal time to the other acts. It's always best to save the most engaging acts for last.

On the contrary. I had only seen youtube videos of some of the bands prior to pax last year, and I thought the way The protomen opened was phenomenal. Idk if that would have worked later in the venue, and more engaging? Anamanaguchi had the handhelds going during Mermaid, Metroid Metal had 2 metroid volleyballs going the whole set (well one, since one broke early on), and MC Frontalot had the crowd going during several songs. Paul and Storm's Awwwww and Arrrrr! Were hilarious, and Joco had people singing along on several occasions. Yes, the protomen were the most metal, but most of the bands were engaging.

ChronoHawk on

ach.png
  • Options
    Kirby PufociaKirby Pufocia Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh wow! Excellent! I apologize for my lack of information. Hope I didn't come off as rude or anything. You guys were great last year.

Naw, we cool, brah *fistbunp*

nitnit: Yup, it's a shame that they have to go first but it's the only way to keep the show moving at a reasonable pace.

edit: About the metroids, we actually started with 3 of 'em but Danimal busted one on his headstock right before the curtains opened, oops!

Kirby Pufocia on
    Kirby Pufocia,
    metroidmetal.com
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I only went to the Friday show so I don't know about JoCo or Paul and the Storm. Still, I was so pumped from The Protomen that the other bands were kind of boring, lol. Metroid Metal and Anamana are really cool musically, but at no point was like "FUCK YEAAAAAH" like with the Protomen.

nitnit on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think it's a given that Paul & Storm and JoCo are the same night. Last year it was VGO, P&S, JoCo on Saturday night - I just remember the insane setup/take down time for the VGO.

I really want to go to both shows this year (I skipped the Friday shows last year) but I really don't want to have to spend a lot of time queuing. How likely would it be to walk up an hourish before the non-JoCo show and get a seat in the balcony?

Keep in mind its a different convention center. I've never been to the BCEC but we'll see if there's a balcony.

ChronoHawk on

ach.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Keep in mind its a different convention center. I've never been to the BCEC but we'll see if there's a balcony.

I figure there must be some non-floor section that will be there. I'm just not into metal that much anymore, but I'd like to see Frontalot this year. Being in the middle of a crowd for two metal acts just really doesn't sound like fun to me but if I could skip most of the waiting and sit back and enjoy the show in a seat I think it would be great.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Iron CurtainIron Curtain Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was at the Anamanaguchi show in Boston this morning/last nigh (It was amazing). Talked to Pete (The guitarist). He said that they (Anamanaguchi) wasn't invited back this year. Didn't sound like he was too upset as his response to me being upset was "Hey. Maybe next year."

TBH I'm a bit concerned with the concerts if there will be no replacement for them. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the concerts last year. And as much as I would enjoy the live performances again, fresh material is a concern for me. Ironically, the one band with the most new material is the one not invited back:

Anamanaguchi - New album (Scott Pilgrim), All their summer singles (Minus My skateboard will go on since it was played at Pax last year), 3 new songs on their most recent tour which ended at the concert I just attended (all of which are awesome btw)

The Protomen - Haven't heard of any new material, but they could do more of act 1, or other parts of 2 they didn't play. Otherwise no new stuff.

Metroid Metal - Great, but No new material to my knowledge. And I bought Varia Suite last year. Wasn't much new music from other M

MC Frontalot - Has other stuff, most of the new stuff being from Zero day .but I imagine the classics will be used (PA Song, Bizarro genius baby, final boss)

VGO - I don't expect much, if anything new tbh.

Paul and Storm - Plenty of other material. IDK if anything will be new but id expect several of the fun songs again (opening band, captains wife's lament, etc)

JoCo - Also has plenty of other material. I Wouldn't mind seeing the zen drum again. Perhaps stuff from the Joco cruises?

Again, I enjoyed all the concerts last year... I just hope they aren't repeats from last year

/rant

I've been to PAX Prime and PAX East so I saw all the bands. I'll take it, frame by frame it:
    Anamanaguchi - New album (Scott Pilgrim), All their summer singles (Minus My skateboard will go on since it was played at Pax last year), 3 new songs on their most recent tour which ended at the concert I just attended (all of which are awesome btw)

They played Scott Pilgrim material at PAX Prime, but you're right in that people who will attend this year's PAX East have not heard it yet.
    The Protomen - Haven't heard of any new material, but they could do more of act 1, or other parts of 2 they didn't play. Otherwise no new stuff.

They're actually working on Act III as we speak.

Kirby addressed this; They have a new album Expansion Pack and it was available at PAX West.
    MC Frontalot - Has other stuff, most of the new stuff being from Zero day .but I imagine the classics will be used (PA Song, Bizarro genius baby, final boss)

He's working on his fifth album as I type this.

Same here.
    Paul and Storm - Plenty of other material. IDK if anything will be new but id expect several of the fun songs again (opening band, captains wife's lament, etc)

They haven't been real busy making new material. If anything, it would be a lot like last year's show.
    JoCo - Also has plenty of other material. I Wouldn't mind seeing the zen drum again. Perhaps stuff from the Joco cruises?

He's working on a new album. And it will be good. Some of his new material will be from the upcoming album.

So the only acts guaranteed to not have any new material since last PAX East would be Paul & Storm (minus their intro with Wil Wheaton) and VGO.

I'm thinking it was Peter Berkman's difficulties with the stage in-ear audio feed that could have caused them not to get invited this year. Then again, maybe not. Still, I'm extremely disappointed they weren't replaced with another chip group or solo act. I guess I'll have to ask Tycho when I meet him at PAX East why Anamanaguchi wasn't invited.

Iron Curtain on
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The lack of chiptunes is certainly lamentable. It's not like there is a dearth of chip artists out there and Anamanaguchi certainly was well received if the almost universal shock here is any indication.

That being said, will the loss of Anamanaguchi on Friday night give the other acts more stage time? I wouldn't mind hearing more MM and I'm sure the Protomen fans wouldn't complain either.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I was at the Anamanaguchi show in Boston this morning/last nigh (It was amazing). Talked to Pete (The guitarist). He said that they (Anamanaguchi) wasn't invited back this year. Didn't sound like he was too upset as his response to me being upset was "Hey. Maybe next year."

TBH I'm a bit concerned with the concerts if there will be no replacement for them. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the concerts last year. And as much as I would enjoy the live performances again, fresh material is a concern for me. Ironically, the one band with the most new material is the one not invited back:

Again, I enjoyed all the concerts last year... I just hope they aren't repeats from last year

/rant

I've been to PAX Prime and PAX East so I saw all the bands. I'll take it, frame by frame it:

They played Scott Pilgrim material at PAX Prime, but you're right in that people who will attend this year's PAX East have not heard it yet.

They're actually working on Act III as we speak.

Kirby addressed this; They have a new album Expansion Pack and it was available at PAX West.

He's working on his fifth album as I type this.

Same here.

They haven't been real busy making new material. If anything, it would be a lot like last year's show.

He's working on a new album. And it will be good. Some of his new material will be from the upcoming album.

So the only acts guaranteed to not have any new material since last PAX East would be Paul & Storm (minus their intro with Wil Wheaton) and VGO.

I'm thinking it was Peter Berkman's difficulties with the stage in-ear audio feed that could have caused them not to get invited this year. Then again, maybe not. Still, I'm extremely disappointed they weren't replaced with another chip group or solo act. I guess I'll have to ask Tycho when I meet him at PAX East why Anamanaguchi wasn't invited.

Well then, this is certainly a case where I'm glad to be wrong. *Note to Self: No more 5 am post concert forum rants* = P.

I'm glad to hear new albums are being worked on (Shows how much I pay attention! Lol!) Whether they are done by March is another story. Fingers crossed!

ChronoHawk on

ach.png
  • Options
    JohnInCTJohnInCT Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    i was hoping for some Shaeffer the Darklord, but i'm glad they kept Frontalot, JoCo, and Paul and Storm. VGO was fun last time as well.

JohnInCT on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    JohnInCT wrote: »
    i was hoping for some Shaeffer the Darklord, but i'm glad they kept Frontalot, JoCo, and Paul and Storm. VGO was fun last time as well.

Having been to a LOT of Schäffer The Darklord shows (i.e., he knows me well enough to thank me in the credits to his latest album Manslaughterer plus I went to every single Schäffer & The Darklords show), I can glean that he desperately wants to come to PAX. Personally, I'd rather see the Grammar Club and Tycho seems keen on this (or is rather blowing smoke up my ass, seeing as he said he was keen in PAX 2009 and hasn't invited them for three more PAXes).

Iron Curtain on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It almost certainly isn't as simple as "if Gabe and/or Tycho are keen on it, they invite a band." I imagine there's a lot of factors that go into it, and obviously there are going to be far more bands that PA would like to invite than can actually show up, if for no other reason than the concerts have a finite time and space in which to fit.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    BeefynessBeefyness Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    for the record: if they wanted us at either pax we'd be there with bells on

Beefyness on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Beefyness wrote: »

I would LOVE to see you live. One day... :(

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rdr wrote: »

I saw him live as a guest rapper for MC Frontalot's set in PAX 2009 and PAX Prime 2010; at the former for the song "Nerdcore Rising" and at the latter for the song "I Hate Your Blog".

Edit: Unless you meant as a member of the Grammar Club. Well then, my apologies. Plus, if that's what you meant, I completely agree with you.

Iron Curtain on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rdr wrote: »

I saw him live as a guest rapper for MC Frontalot's set in PAX 2009 and PAX Prime 2010; at the former for the song "Nerdcore Rising" and at the latter for the song "I Hate Your Blog".

Edit: Unless you meant as a member of the Grammar Club. Well then, my apologies. Plus, if that's what you meant, I completely agree with you.

I've only been to PAX East 2010. Gonna try for Prime this year if I am able to save enough.

Rdr on
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to add my "NO ANAMANAGUCHI?" shock to the list, jaw to the floor and all. I only went Friday last year because of tickets selling out, but anamanaguchi blew my socks right off. I was so looking forward to seeing them...

Luckily, I'll be going all three days this year, and therefore all the concerts. Meaning I get to see everything I missed, like the Protomen and JoCo. And honestly, though I will miss Anamanaguchi (and hope that they'll be here next time 'round), I'm also pumped for seeing Metroid again.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    bostonwallacebostonwallace Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really need to see the Minibosses live. Too bad they're from the desert and MA is prob too far for a trek.

bostonwallace on
  • Options
    Blade FusionBlade Fusion Timmins, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I first saw The OneUps at PAX in 2008 and have never seen them at PAX since.

What gives. They are an amazing group of musicians who play exceptionally well composed video game music.

Was there some sort of falling out or do we just need to show some interest in getting them back?

I really think we should get them playing PAX regularly.

If anyone knows or just wants to wax poetic on The OneUps, post it here!

Cheers :D

Blade Fusion on
  • Options
    TheKoopasTheKoopas Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Hello Everyone,

I just had a quick question. I am part of a Video Game Cover Band called The Koopas and was wondering what I would need to do to submit us for consideration to play PAX.

Any help would be great.

Thank you,
    The Koopas

www.facebook.com/thekoopas

TheKoopas on
  • Options
    grkpektisgrkpektis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    damn it I heard a rumor that kirby krackle would be there.

grkpektis on
  • Options
    TdarTURboTdarTURbo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yay for The Protomen. LIGHT UP THE NIGHT!

TdarTURbo on
  • Options
    VikingurVikingur Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I suppose the Thickets won't be returning to PAX again? Aw, that sucks, I never got to see them.

Vikingur on
  • Options
    MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TheKoopas wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

I just had a quick question. I am part of a Video Game Cover Band called The Koopas and was wondering what I would need to do to submit us for consideration to play PAX.

Any help would be great.

Thank you,
    The Koopas

www.facebook.com/thekoopas

I think that's more of a question to the "powers that be", namely Penny Arcade themselves (Jerry, Mike, Robert, etc.). Might be better to reach out to them on Twitter directly. Otherwise, you are free to come and perform in the Jamspace which is a smaller venue for adhoc concerts, jam sessions, etc. if you are looking for exposure. Might reach out to Brentalfloss, Armcannon, and Powerglove, as they are having a mini concert Saturday Night at Jamspace this PAX East. They might clue you in on whether that was something they accomplished with official backing, or just banded together to organize some time to jam!

Hope that helps.

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg