As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tires

adytumadytum The Inevitable RiseAnd FallRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum

adytum on

• erraticrabbiterraticrabbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    aren't those premium tires? You can do a lot better on price, but not at that tier

erraticrabbit on
    steam_sig.png
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What kind of car with what size tires? Check Tirerack.com for some comparison.

schuss on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Last time i bought tires, they were 45 bucks each, installed. Goodyear, all seasons.

Try the local tire places. Problem is im guessing youre having someone come to your house with 4 new tires on 4 new rims, and install them in your driveway? Yeah, youre gonna pay out the ass for that. Try and find another spare and drive the car to the shop. You will save a lot of money.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Its varies wildly depending on the quality. I pay a lot of money for a full set of 10-ply toyos on my truck, but I paid much less (less than $100 per tire) when I had my Firebird.

Arrath on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Its going to depend on the size of tire you need. Without that information, I couldn't tell you what a good deal would be.

MushroomStick on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    all i know is that my car engineer friend tells me to never buy chinese tires.

price-wise, depends on the size. I paid $60 a piece for size 16 winter tires.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    $30 for a used (but good) tire on an old Saturn SC2.

MKR on
    edited January 2011
    Seriously, give us your car and/or the size. Not just "Size 16" or something. Should be 3 numbers -
    205/55 - 16
    First number is the width of the tire, second is sidewall depth, third is wheel size. Prices can vary WILDLY depending on the size. Something like a 185/65 - 14 will be dirt cheap, but a 205/45 - 16 will generally be a bit more expensive.

schuss on
  • MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Used tires are usually an option if you are really tight on cash and just need to get your car back on the road.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I paid about ~80 per tire for my Pirelli P4's. They're "pricier" than most tires for my tire size, but they've got an excellent treadwear rating, and are warrantied out to 85,000 miles. I got a good deal on them, using Discount Tire's price matching.

With tires it depends on what you want/what's important. A good pair of tires that could last to fifty, sixty thousand miles would be worth paying more for. Larger tires are going to be more expensive. It's been suggested, but Tirerack.com is a great resource. You can shop for tires just based on your vehicle, and then filter it down by what it is you're looking for (All-Season, Summer, etc). It's also a good starting point for prices, and like I said, I got the installer to price-match Tire Rack for me.

Pirusu on
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Where on my tires would I look to find the tire measurements? Keep in mind my tires are covered in snow.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Where on my tires would I look to find the tire measurements? Keep in mind my tires are covered in snow.

It's printed on the sidewall.

schuss on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

If you can't read the sidewall of the tire (and if you're running the rims that came with the car form the factory) there should be a sticker on the inside of the driver's side door with tire sizes.

LaPuzza on
    edited January 2011
    A quick search for your tire size found some Sumitomo HTR Z II Ultra-High Perforamnce Summer tires for $69/tire. What kind of conditions do you drive in? If it doesn't really snow, a summer tire isn't a bad choice, providing it has decent wet traction.

Pirusu on
    edited January 2011
    It's a bit expensive. Looking at Tire Rack you have a lot of options for cheaper. Add about 40-50 to the prices you see online for mount+balance. Can't say I'm up on what tires are great in that range.

schuss on
    edited August 2011

adytum on
    edited January 2011
    Obviously you're going for budget, and not wanting to spend a lot of money, but just a suggestion: If you're frequently driving on snow/ice, you may want to consider getting a cheap set of wheels, and adding dedicated snow/ice tires, and just swapping them as needed. Even a good all-season comes nowhere near the traction of dedicated snow tires.

Pirusu on
    edited January 2011
    If you're paying 100 for installation, you're paying too much.

schuss on
    edited January 2011
    Pirusu wrote: »
    Obviously you're going for budget, and not wanting to spend a lot of money, but just a suggestion: If you're frequently driving on snow/ice, you may want to consider getting a cheap set of wheels, and adding dedicated snow/ice tires, and just swapping them as needed. Even a good all-season comes nowhere near the traction of dedicated snow tires.

Speaking as someone who drives in the horrible conditions of upstate/central new york you're absolutely right. Usually isn't necessary if you pay attention to road conditions while driving though, so you can save more money that way as long as you're willing to go 20 in 3 inches of snow.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah installation (unless they are coming to your house) should be around $15 per tire or so, MAX.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
    edited August 2011

adytum on
    edited January 2011
    The TPMS thing is kinda bullshit. They recommend you change the sensors when you change out the tires, but when I went from my OEMs to my new set, they just used the old sensors, and it isn't a thing.

That said, Tire Rack is great for a comparison/information, but I'd try and find the tire locally. Either at a major chain (In the US, Discount Tire/America's Tire, Sears, etc) or a local place.

Pirusu on
    edited January 2011
    If you use your dealership a lot sometimes you can get good deals through them if you barter. Tell them you found XYZ deal at a local shop and see if they'll match it. I always trust dealerships way more than local shops but my dealership isn't full of a bunch of jerks considering they want me to buy cars from them.

bowen on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Z or V rated tires are going to be expensive regardless

You don't mention what kind of car you own, but if you could get away with H, U or even T rated tires you'd save a pretty penny

Usagi on
    edited August 2011

adytum on
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • TheAngryDealerTheAngryDealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    since no one has mentioned this, you can find a lot of OEM wheels and tires on craigslist. A lot of people who upgrade their wheels will sell the old factory ones cheap since there is not a huge market for used factory wheels.

TheAngryDealer on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah it can be anywhere from $50-200 depending on the car I think. They're probably not really expensive even if you buy them at an auto shop even.

bowen on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Those look like aluminum rims to me. If so, you're going to need new wheels. Sometimes steel rims can be hammered back into shape, but aluminum work hardens and gets brittle too quickly for that.

Damn, what kind of road debris did that? It looks like you tried to go over a tall curb or something.

MushroomStick on
  • wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    since no one has mentioned this, you can find a lot of OEM wheels and tires on craigslist. A lot of people who upgrade their wheels will sell the old factory ones cheap since there is not a huge market for used factory wheels.

You can also hit up http://www.car-part.com to see if any junkyards near you have replacements.

wmelon on
    edited January 2011
    yeah, also check out MC Wheel I think. Most wheel repair places love car wheels, as they're way easier than motorcycle wheels.

schuss on
    edited August 2011

adytum on
    edited January 2011
    Hoooooly shit $350?

What's your make/model of the car and the size of the wheel? 15"?

bowen on
    edited August 2011

adytum on
    edited January 2011
    Hoooooly shit $350?

What's your make/model of the car and the size of the wheel? 15"?

Given his tire size, the wheels are 17".

Pirusu on
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    while i normally don't condone lawsuits, you probably have a case for improper clearing of an accident scene especially if it was from a previous accident.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2011

adytum on