As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If plan A fails, revert to plan A [Your PAX East plans]

13»

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arco wrote: »
    Giga: you definitely want to do the Pokécrawl. It's a LOT of fun and a great way to make some new friends. The dinner is great, too, although it's in a new venue this year.

PS - Say hi to Steph for me! ;)

I've done the Dick's Last Resort experience....I'm good with that. Might end up doing the crawl.

I'll tell her when she gets here :P

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Mr PlopplesMr Plopples Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've never been to PAX before (or in fact any conventions) so I'm both a newby on this website and to this entire scene.

I have absolutely no idea what will be on (I will be seeing Roosterteeth, that's all I know) and my friends pulled out AFTER I paid for the flights and tickets. So I'll be on my lonesome, so I've got a few questions.

1) I'm going in Cosplay (King Logan from Fable III) and I'm hoping to use that to mingle with peeps, is that a solid idea?

2) I'm coming from Cambridge and I've not been to the states since I was about 8, I'm not sure what your receptions to a British gentleman like myself will be (especially visiting the cradle of your revolution).

3) Should I get changed into my costume at PAX or at my hotel (Is walking down the streets of Boston in regal attire and armour a bad idea)?

Any recommendations on what I should do, where I should go, etc. Would be appreciated, too.

Mr Plopples on
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've never been to PAX before (or in fact any conventions) so I'm both a newby on this website and to this entire scene.

I have absolutely no idea what will be on (I will be seeing Roosterteeth, that's all I know) and my friends pulled out AFTER I paid for the flights and tickets. So I'll be on my lonesome, so I've got a few questions.

1) I'm going in Cosplay (King Logan from Fable III) and I'm hoping to use that to mingle with peeps, is that a solid idea?

2) I'm coming from Cambridge and I've not been to the states since I was about 8, I'm not sure what your receptions to a British gentleman like myself will be (especially visiting the cradle of your revolution).

3) Should I get changed into my costume at PAX or at my hotel (Is walking down the streets of Boston in regal attire and armour a bad idea)?

Any recommendations on what I should do, where I should go, etc. Would be appreciated, too.

Boston is a pretty decent city to tourists....just don't wear anything related to the New York Yankees, the NY Jets, or the Montreal Canadiens.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Very much so. The cosplay presence at PAX isn't what you would get at, say, a comic book convention, but it's still a very active scene. More importantly, people love it. If you have a good costume, you'll be very popular. Just be prepared to happily pose for pictures every 5 minutes; if you get sick of that, take the costume off.

I can't speak for everyone, but my experience with British folks is that they're awesome. Then again, almost everyone at PAX is awesome. People will most likely be charmed by your accent and other-worldly ways. I don't think you'll encounter any Revolutionary War bad blood, but then again, I guess it is Boston...

That really depends on how far away from the BCEC your hotel is. Within a block of PAX, you won't stand out at all. The streets are almost shoulder-to-shoulder PAX people during the weekend, so it's basically like being in the convention center itself. The farther away you get, the more awkward it might be. I don't think it's ever going to be dangerous or BAD, just awkward or cumbersome for you.

As always, check out the community events like the Pokécrawl, Pre-PAX Dinner, trading cards, etc. Check the schedule for any panels, tournaments, etc. that you absolutely can't miss. Make sure you subscribe to @Official_PAX and @PAX_Lines for important info.

Welcome to PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2011

I believe these two threads are relevant to your interests:
    PAX East Costumes
    International Traveler's thread

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As for my personal plans:

1) Pokécrawl.

2) Have the most amazing night ever on Friday (Protomen [I hope] + my birthday).

3) Eat massive amounts of crab.

4) [E].

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

---
    ---

If you are/can come in a day or 2 early, you can come on the MMT too. It's a decent way to meet people (it's a smaller group at around 30 people) and we visit various spots around Boston. And I think there are already 1 or 2 Brits coming so if you start missing the homeland, you can band together with them. :P

PAX East Magical Mystery Tour 2011

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arco wrote: »
    I can't speak for everyone, but my experience with British folks is that they're awesome. Then again, almost everyone at PAX is awesome. People will most likely be charmed by your accent and other-worldly ways. I don't think you'll encounter any Revolutionary War bad blood, but then again, I guess it is Boston...

Excuse me while I lime this for truth.

Also I'm from Canada, some Commonwealth clause probably states that we must hang... Welcome to PAX.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • BackwoodsBackwoods Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PAX is coming in hot ladies and gentlemen! I have big plans this year! I had an amazing time at PAX 2010, but I showed up late and went in with absolutely no plans, missing a lot of awesome stuff as a result. So here's a list of things I want to be sure to do this year:
    1. Attend the Poke-crawl!!!
    2. Get to the convention center early on Friday, stand in the line, and attend the keynote
    3. Go to one of the "Create a Strip" panels
    4. Keep a notebook to write the Steam IDs and Gamertags of new friends
    5. Attend one of the concerts
    6. Check out the Omegathon
    7. Get in on a 4-player game with total strangers in the console freeplay area.
    8. Try to get in on a beginner’s game of Dungeons and Dragons (I've never played before!)
    9. Spend a significant amount of time in the PC freeplay area
    10. Play at least one game of Catan
    11. Play a game of Arkham Horror (so hot right now, Arkham Horror)
    12. Check out the retro game sale (I heard about this after the last PAX was over, and I thought I'd explored everywhere in the convention center :/ )
    13. Participate in one of the computer tournaments!

I can't wait for the official schedule to be posted so I can get an actual battle plan together!

Backwoods on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Backwoods wrote: »
    1. Keep a notebook to write the Steam IDs and Gamertags of new friends

... Why the hell did I not think of that? Granted, last year I was mostly fending off for myself but... Damn. Now I just realized I have an iPhone with the note pad thing in it, but I bet I would have forgotten about it.

1. Get in on a 4-player game with total strangers in the console freeplay area.

I'm going to start listening to this guy. I think this could be one of the best way to make new encounters.

1. Check out the retro game sale (I heard about this after the last PAX was over, and I thought I'd explored everywhere in the convention center :/ )

Same thing for me. Not that I'm actually interested in retro games, but I DID thought I saw everything there was to be seen at last year's PAX. It's only later through other people's blogs and reviews that I saw certain merchants I never came across. I still wonder how I missed them.

One of the things I'd like to do at PAX is to come back with something either unique or definitely typical of such a convention.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ~3pm Thursday: Check into hotel
    5:30-7:30: dinner
    7:30-midnight: unknown
    midnight-9am: Sleep
    9am-10am: Breakfast and other stuff
    10am-2am: PAX day 1 wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    2am-9am: Sleep
    9am-10am: Wakeup and cab/T to Lucky's Lounge
    10am-?: IRC breakfast
    ?-2am: PAx day 2 Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    2am-7:45am: Sleep
    7:45am-8am: mmmmm, coffee
    8am-10am (possibly later): Watch the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix on internet stream on laptop in hotel room
    10am-7pm: PAX Day 3 wooooooooooooooooooooooo
    7pm-?: Dinner at cousin's in Southie
    ?-?: Wander around Boston with friend
    ?-10am-ish: Sleep
    10am-ish Monday: pack, go home

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Reboot153Reboot153 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This being my first PAX I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm a D*C vet though and from what I've read so far I have a good idea as to what I'd like to do.

First, I'm looking forward to getting to hang out with my brother and get some gaming in!
    I'd really like it if I could find someone to teach me how to play Pokemon. My nephew is into it but he doesnt give the greatest instructions.
    I would love to try out some Kinect and Move games, especially sports and dancing ones.
    I wouldnt mind getting to see Paul and Storm to try and understand what they're all about.
    Getting to meet Wil Wheaton would be another check mark on my ST:TNG cast list.
    OH! I'd love to meet Scott Kurtz and request a drawing from him (if it wont cost too much)
    And finally, I want to go down to the Boston Beer Garden. My idea of what it will be like is probably skewed based on MegaTokyo but I'm sure it'll be fun!

And that's all I have to say about that...

Reboot153 on
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

We need more cosplayers at Pax.
    If Boston is nothing it's a melting pot of nations. If you're from Britain, Canada, Japan, or the North Pole, nobody will notice and you should fit right in.
    On the costume, I would change at Pax, for two reason:
    1. Considering the winter season thus far, March may prove to be quite cold.
    2. The police, although getting more and more used to cosplayers as time goes on, still take great interest in anyone wearing or carrying anything resembling a weapon or armor. The only time I've ever seen anyone roam freely in a suit of armor was in Salem on Halloween, for example.

If Kinect is there and it has something other than an exercise game on, I'm in line to play it.
    This has probably been asked before and I missed it, but is Funspot coming back with an arcade again this time?

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    undead wrote: »
    This has probably been asked before and I missed it, but is Funspot coming back with an arcade again this time?

They are! And they even started a thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=135744

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    And last but not least: SWAG is not what PAX is all about,
    haha somehow it's always about the swag for me. I end up running around going crazy for shirts, and when I get by home I'm wondering what the hell am I going to do with 25 shirts.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was able to do so much last year that I never thought I could. So this year my plans are to duplicate that, but add a couple of things I missed out on last year. Namely:
    • spend some time in the console free play area
    • meet people (I met no one last year, I want to leave there with a few new friends if possible)
    • see VGO
    • take more pictures

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • AnnaRoyalAnnaRoyal North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    @acumen101

it'll be my first time, but basically cookie brigade distributes free cookies while collecting donations for the charity Child's Play.

i will give you monies to feed me cookies while i play halo cause even tho ive been playing black ops and out of practice im still gonna do it.

AnnaRoyal on
    I love Tacos.
    WoW: BanAnnaPi#1341
    Steam: BanAnnaPie
    Origin: BanAnnaPie
    3DS Friend Code: 3840 - 6540 - 5643
    https://twitter.com/xAnnasaurusx
  • AnnaRoyalAnnaRoyal North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so i wanted to know what times ppl will be lining up friday morning to get in... i know the doors dont open til 8 but my silly bf wants to leave the hotel at freakin 5am... which is crazy. 1.cold 2. lack of sleep 3.COLD

AnnaRoyal on
    I love Tacos.
    WoW: BanAnnaPi#1341
    Steam: BanAnnaPie
    Origin: BanAnnaPie
    3DS Friend Code: 3840 - 6540 - 5643
    https://twitter.com/xAnnasaurusx
  • LelldorianxLelldorianx Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm having trouble deciding between going to the Expo Hall early / visiting the stores versus going to the keynote. What do you guys think? I went to PAX Prime last year, but my plane landed too late to go to the keynote - so this is my first real opportunity to check it out.

Lelldorianx on
    Editor @ GamersNexus.net
  • VampireCactusVampireCactus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is my first PAX/convention. Since I'm a game design student, I'm hoping to catch some of the panels. However, I'm having trouble with trying to decide how much I should be stressing amount getting the most out of PAX in terms of educating/networking. As soon as I saw the panel list, I was like "SHIT I NEED TO GO TO ALL OF THOSE." I know that won't be possible, but I can't tell if it'll be worth it to see as many of the panels as I can or if I should just relax, spend most of my time in the expo hall, and see a few panels.

I kind of wish none of those panels were happening so I could just relax and have fun without feeling like I missed several huge career-related opportunities. haha

AnnaRoyal wrote: »
    so i wanted to know what times ppl will be lining up friday morning to get in... i know the doors dont open til 8 but my silly bf wants to leave the hotel at freakin 5am... which is crazy. 1.cold 2. lack of sleep 3.COLD

Well, they said they wouldn't be letting anyone into the queue until 8...I was planning on leaving at around 7.

VampireCactus on
  • electricowlelectricowl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How early do you guys recommend lining up for the concerts? The main reason I'm going to PAX at all is for The Protomen.

electricowl on