As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 1-19-11: At ease, Mighty Lockjaw

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Graphic Violence
Avengers vs. Pet Avengers #4, it warms the cockles of your heart. And it looks like this is the last Pet Avengers book in a while....

Fin Fang Foom and the dragons eat the dragon eggs but spit them out in space for the babies to hatch, and Lockjaw teleports everyone away from the volcano blowing up. Thor apologizes for the Avengers not being more helpful and always rushing to conclusions, then at the new Pet Avengers doghouse Mansion (right behind the real mansion Bendis better reference this!) Lockheed apologizes for helping the dragons, saying he only wanted to help them because he was so alone:

avpa4b.jpg

avpa4c.jpg

And Foom is on an island with the baby dragons all happy, awwwwww.

Superman/Batman #80 is a much better interpretation of Roberson writing a Superman story, and is half time travel junkets with the villain Epoch, the other half the One Million versions of the characters:

sb80a.jpg

sb80b.jpg

the idea involves the 5th dimension piggybacking on top of the 80's versions of Superman Batman & Robin using Hawking Radiation

TexiKen on

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The four most dangerous words in any comic book

Batman saying "I have an idea"

Solar on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    The four most dangerous words in any comic book

Batman saying "I have an idea"

And yet they are also amongst the most awesome words in any comic book.

see317 on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It had to be deliberate that Superman takes three panels to notice the loop while Batman figures it out the moment he gains access to Superman's senses.

admanb on
    edited January 2011
    admanb wrote: »
    It had to be deliberate that Superman takes three panels to notice the loop while Batman figures it out the moment he gains access to Superman's senses.

Of course

He's Batman

Solar on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's nice to see the One Million versions of the characters being used. I really love them.

Delduwath on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Me too!

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Has Pet Avengers referenced Kitty Pryde being back, yet? I know it's only kind of in continuity, but I seem to remember something in the early issues where Lockheed was depressed over Kitty's death. Or maybe I'm conflating Pet Avengers with his appearance in SWORD.

Munch on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It was mentioned in the first mini series, and I think it's Throg who convinces him to be on the team. Maybe Gillen will reference Pet Avengers when he takes over Uncanny, because Kitty is on the cover to the .1 issue in April.

The way I see it, Lockheed went depressed drunk and stuff in SWORD, then the Pet Avengers helped straighten him up and fly right, and now that the Pet minis are done for he can go back to Uncanny and be the team pet (Hairball could easily be Mockingbird's pet after this issue).

TexiKen on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got to ask, what's up with Throg, is it an actual frog with the power of Thor or semi power of him or did he get turned into an actual frog again.

Cade on
    edited January 2011
    Throg is Walt Simonson turned into a frog, then using a sliver of Mjolnir to be a Thor-frog. So it's a person turned into a frog who likes being a frog, similar to Gorilla Man.

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    I got to ask, what's up with Throg, is it an actual frog with the power of Thor or semi power of him or did he get turned into an actual frog again.
    That.. that's a weird story.

In a nutshell, Throg was a guy, who became a frog, who found a splinter of Thor's walking stick/hammer, and when he struck it against the ground, he became Throg.

I'm not sure why he had to be a guy before he became a frog, but hey, comics!

edit: Dammit, Tex.

To contribute, X-Factor was pretty good today. It was a Darwin-centric issue, and a nice little breather after the big Vegas/Thor/Hela plot. It also addressed the ramifications of immortality, which is always one of my favorite things to think about in comics.

Munch on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Throg is Walt Simonson turned into a frog, then using a sliver of Mjolnir to be a Thor-frog. So it's a person turned into a frog who likes being a frog, similar to Gorilla Man.
    wait
    as in the comic writer walt simonson? appearing as himself like grant morrison or steve gerber?

Antimatter on
    edited January 2011
    The character's name was Simon Walterson, that's all. It's kind of funny when it was Simonson who created that issue anyway.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    ah, okay :P

daaaaaarn

Antimatter on
    edited January 2011
    McNulty if you weren't so drunk all the time you would know this stuff.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    god, you sound just like Beadie

Antimatter on
    edited January 2011
    Legacy #244 had Harvey Tolibao art, and I like his style. He also knows how to draw tentacle enemies without them being tentacle-rape enemies:

giant squid from the Emplate dimension was still on the island hiding and kidnapping mutants, Rogue and Madison go to investigate:

xml244a.jpg

xml244c.jpg

and then the world goes black leading into Age of X, has something connecting it to the Death persona of Gambit it seems.

TexiKen on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why can't DC just get rid of their main universe and set everything in DC One Million? I'm sure 10 other people besides me would keep reading it.

Hensler on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Who needs tentacle rape when Rogue's tits are just flying all over the place anyway?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited January 2011
    Ringo wrote: »
    Who needs tentacle rape when Rogue's tits are just flying all over the place anyway?

I was about to say

Antimatter on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Amazing Spider-Man was fantastic this week. No specific awesome moment, just a great fun Spidey story. And with a wonderful Power Man/Spider-Man team-up backup.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hensler wrote: »
    Why can't DC just get rid of their main universe and set everything in DC One Million? I'm sure 10 other people besides me would keep reading it.

I agree that the 1,000,000 characters are awesome, but I think it really speaks to a greater void in the DC line up that the JLA (the big 7) need to return to the front and center and battle Maggedon or whatever else the hell Morrison threw at them when JLA was the best thing ever.

TheHopelessGamer on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys Wolverine and Jubilee was good

Kathyren Immonen wrote a good comic

The excellent art probably helped a lot.

Also seconding the ASM issue. A little too much Carly set-up but Jameson ordering Spider-Man to help save the rocket was great and
    Spider-Man VS Scorpion on the side of a rocket heading through the atmosphere
    is going to make an amazing set piece for next time

Furu on
    edited January 2011
    Furu wrote: »
    Guys Wolverine and Jubilee was good

whaaaaaat

saw this over at S_D , really hope Powergirl keeps this pet

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    Nothing will top Stinky.

Also yes! It was good I swear! The dialogue was readable and sensical and nothing was really out of place except for Rockslide being slightly less of a jerk than usual and an out of blue reference to Bleach for Jubilee's new super speed ability.

Furu on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brightest Day Spoilers
    I hope the Hawks stay dead

Anyone think the page layouts in GLC looked odd. Like each page was half of a splash page.

Algertman on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nothing will top Stinky.

Also yes! It was good I swear! The dialogue was readable and sensical and nothing was really out of place except for Rockslide being slightly less of a jerk than usual and an out of blue reference to Bleach for Jubilee's new super speed ability.

Jubilee's what?

Fencingsax on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm sorry this doesn't make sense.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll believe it. There were a few scenes in that Pixie book last year that were good.

Hensler on
    edited January 2011
    IT SOUNDS LIKE I'M CRAZY DOESN'T IT

Furu on
    edited January 2011
    well, you are

it's been established

Antimatter on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    But why would Jubilee have ... no, never mind. I don't even want to know.

desc on
    edited January 2011
    Vampire.

Furu on
    edited January 2011
    so does that mean Spitfire is now twice as fast?

TexiKen on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    who's faster, Spitfire or Quicksilver

Centipede Damascus on
    edited January 2011
    Quicksilver probably. I don't know if he's where he was in his own series speed wise since M-Day, but you can't have an old-young british lady beat an Avenger.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    Quicksilver has been shown as generically superfast these days

Which I like. It's not as if the Flash guys are always going at their top speed they just go at "super-speed"

Same with Quicksilver. None of this speed of sound bollocks, just good old "how fast?" "very fast."

Solar on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I'm sorry this doesn't make sense.

It's a good read except for the pages where Pixie is in it.

Algertman on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kathryn Immonen has written good comics before

I swear, all ya'll need to read her Hellcat

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Kathryn Immonen has written good comics before

I swear, all ya'll need to read her Hellcat

I just did!