As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

From WBEZ Public Radio in Chicago

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    insisting that it's journalism and then making the argument that journalism is supposed to be impartial seems a rather roundabout way of expressing your dislike of how non-conservative the show is

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Quoth did you like my idea

YaYa on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    leftist people listen to it, but that in and of itself dont make it leftist

like pokemon

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yaya yes

i am giving it time to percolate to see if i can think of anything to say about it before you start writing

Quoth on
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Futore wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Now Diane Rheme. Oh my god shut the fuck up you old bag of farts your voice makes me want to go on a blind rampage.

She is one of the best interviewers/radio voices of all time. But yeah, at this point in her life, it's just grim.

She writes really good interview questions but she needs to get out from behind the mic. It just shows that her need to be on the radio is greater than her need to produce a quality product. If nothing else she should auto tune or use a proxy like the Dave Letterman bit.

Foolproof on
  • DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    insisting that it's journalism and then making the argument that journalism is supposed to be impartial seems a rather roundabout way of expressing your dislike of how non-conservative the show is

I'm saying it's not journalism.

It's a leftist show.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    Quoth wrote: »
    Yaya yes

i am giving it time to percolate to see if i can think of anything to say about it before you start writing

okay cool I am very flexible on parts of the idea so percolate as much as you want

YaYa on
    edited January 2011

It's a leftist show.

tacit acknowledgment that FOX doesn't do news, just right leaning shows?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love TAL, listen to it every week

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It's a leftist show.

Some of what FOX news does is both journalism and right leaning. Unless you strictly report facts with no opinion some bias will bleed into news reporting.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    goddamn it's called You Look Nice Today

this ain't fuckin' England

Abracadaniel on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    cool, a this american life thread with deacon blues in it

3204840swsw.gif

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited January 2011
    orik take me now

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2011
    orik I love you let's kiss

YaYa on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As7 wrote: »

It's a leftist show.

Some of what FOX news does is both journalism and right leaning. Unless you strictly report facts with no opinion some bias will bleed into news reporting.

Sort of. The alternative to claiming "it's only journalism if there's no bias" is accepting that there will always be bias in journalism and therefore you have a responsibility to be up front about it so everyone knows what the deal is going in. The problem with saying journalism is bias free is that these days people who ought to have some journalistic integrity get away with saying later "but I'm just an entertainer!" (I'm looking at you, Jon Stewart, even though I love your show) and then they can ignore demands for journalistic integrity.

TAL records real, factual events and then explains them through a known lens, which they even take the time to acknowledge once in a while on the show ("I came into this thinking _______, but these events showed me that _______," etc)

There's a target there in the middle between pretending you're an unbiased news show and pretending like you're just an editorialist. TAL probably errs toward the side of the latter, but it's by no means an egregious example of it.

MrMonroe on
    edited January 2011
    it's a show with interesting shit that is presented in a boring manner

slice of life stories

that's about as far as all this subtext you all think exists goes

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited January 2011
    i'm sick of all this left wing saxophone music when im buying my lettuce and dildos at the safeway

Calamity Jane on
    edited January 2011
    most people just call those zucchini, anjin.

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2011

Why don't you just drum up some bs reason to ban me again tough guy.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    most people just call those zucchini, anjin.

zucchini over cucumber, SH? You are playing a dangerous game of heads or tails!

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited January 2011

It's a leftist show.

tacit acknowledgment that FOX doesn't do news, just right leaning shows?

I think the difference is that FOX is supposed to be a "hard news" delivery service (with the exception of the obvious Beck, Hannity, etc) while This American Life is more about making a statement by looking at an extremely narrow slice of a few people's lives.

I would hold FOX, CNN, etc to a much higher standard than this.

Like I said before, they're sometimes teeth-grindingly one sided, but they're always entertaining, which is why I listen!

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I pretty much love this show

the recent episode about money was really educational

Centipede Damascus on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I like how you have to ratchet up the persecution complex thing when your usual baiting just isn't as engaging anymore.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited January 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Everytime we talk about podcasts I add a few to my list. Gonna check out the moth, and raidolab.

Lately I've been enjoying 11 o'clocl comics, the splendid table, nerdist, and geekbox.

You

Look

Nice

Today

:^: :^: :^:

Aunt Nancy

Baby Butlers

somebody tell me what You Look Nice Today is, exactly

Centipede Damascus on
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    a journal of emotional hygiene

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

edited January 2011
    Ubik knows what's up

here's your invite to the You Look Nice Today Funbunch Champagne Room Special
    VVSmb.jpg

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2011
    none of this is helpful!

Centipede Damascus on
    edited January 2011
    why dont you listen to it

Aunt Nancy is a example of the tone of the show.

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2011

pp-nails.jpg

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    you know what a better npr series is

wait wait, don't tell me

also car talk

You misspelled On Point.

Also RadioLab with Jad Abumabananarad.

Hamurabi on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy shit I just started listening to this the other day

It is a good program

Nocturne on
    edited January 2011

I like how you have to ratchet up the persecution complex thing when your usual baiting just isn't as engaging anymore.

Orik is clearly baiting *me* here but I'm glad you're enjoying it.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    no, i just don't like talking to you

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey Orik

What was your favourite This American Life episode from 2010?

I think mine might have been Petty Tyrant but I also really liked Fear of Sleep.

I don't think I could express how much I really really love This American Life, but I will say that as far as conversations with strangers go, more often than with anything else, I've brought up some fact or piece of trivia or story I heard on this podcast and had a random person say, "Hey, was that on This American Life?" Instant new friend.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited January 2011
    i love fear of sleep, but that's a rebroadcast from 2008

i think island time was my favourite from 2010 - a compelling glimpse into a world that we are too privileged to even really consider existing most of the time

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I must have missed Fear of Sleep the first time 'round!

I thought Island Time was really interesting, but something about the story of this one lunatic bully in New York just fascinated me.

The NUMMI episode was also fascinating for me, because my father was just starting his career at General Motors at the time that that whole project was getting started, and he knows a bunch of the people who are principals in the story.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited January 2011
    no, i just don't like talking to you

So...don't? Going out of your way to make a post about how much you don't like me seems pretty juvenile to be honest.

Esp. for a mod.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    I must have missed Fear of Sleep the first time 'round!

I thought Island Time was really interesting, but something about the story of this one lunatic bully in New York just fascinated me.

The NUMMI episode was also fascinating for me, because my father was just starting his career at General Motors at the time that that whole project was getting started, and he knows a bunch of the people who are principals in the story.

NUMMI was a great episode. and yeah.

part of what i love about this american life is this huge diaspora of slices of people's day-to-day

it really drives home to me how fantastically varied life is even within such a small socioeconomic range as is on the show

houses of ill repute is another old episode that got rebroadcast last year and i love it

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited January 2011
    Oh man that NUMMI one was great.

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2011
    I know. I'm in the future also.

Orikaeshigitae on