As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

RehabRehab Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
Game Developers Conference 3DS Coverage:

3DS Netflix Streaming Coming This Summer

Watch both 2D and 3D content from Netflix on your 3DS beginning this summer.
1UP wrote:
Although Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime was certain to reinforce that the primary function of the 3DS is playing gaming, he did reveal that Netflix streaming will be coming to the 3DS this summer.

As with other mobile devices that can stream Netflix, your progress when watching content will be saved so that you can leave off on your 3DS and then resume playing from that same spot on your Wii (or whatever other device you choose to watch Netflix on).

In addition to the 2D programming that's already available on Netflix, 3D content "is also on the way." 3DS owners will be watching movie trailers in 3D before the Green Lantern film launches in June.
031jl.jpg

091.jpg

Iwata says "thats right, racoon tail bitches!" (laughs)

t4vbj9.jpg

Also, this is by the same team that did the Super Mario Galaxy games.

And lets not forget about Zelda!

sZRrI.jpg
Compare:
gEolc.jpg
RZa2Y.jpg
IfvOn.jpg
hnNFH.jpg
3Mdj8.jpg
r3LFK.jpg

3dsbanner.png

3DS: A brief introspective look:

classy3ds.png

This is the Nintendo 3DS. As you can see, it is a sophisticated looking handheld with an elegant design even in its default closed position. Notice the beautiful aesthetics of the two perfectly positioned cameras on the front. The real surprise comes when you open it though. Behold, the timeless and innovative two screen inventiveness birthed by the classic Nintendo DS makes its triumphant return, but improved! Those who are especially astute will observe that the bottom screen is a touch screen and the fashionable stylus which offers truly extraordinary comfort and control when utilizing this device. It is mesmerizing in its boldness and simplicity, no? But hold your gaze upon it no longer at this time, for I implore that you glance at the even more exquisite screen located just above.

Now this ladies and gentlemen is a breathtakingly immaculate and advanced screen. From the inception of this wondrous product it was decided that this central feature would delight users with a wide screen display, the capacity to create gorgeous renderings of an unparalleled resolution, and more stunning yet . . . real 3D images, without the need for detestable and garish glasses which only serve to make one look quite foolish. The genius spark behind it astounds and amazes! You will not care to look at the "exquisite" art in your private collection after experiencing this marvel for yourself. What was once thought to be a work of nigh perfection will quickly begin to pale in comparison, and every piece will begin to appear flat and boring by their very nature. You will henceforth cease to desire their supposed qualities, and crave the stimulation of images that pop out! Also, encased in this brilliant iPod-like shell are other novelties which I do not quite comprehend. However, I have heard genuinely engaging and intellectually rousing discussion of gyroscopes, embedded microphones, communication of a wireless nature, universal codes which are said to be friendly, and perhaps most intriguing of all . . . alternate realities.

This is the Nintendo 3DS.

Its cutting-edge tech, in a truly luxurious handheld.™

magic3ds.png

Its also magic!

Launch Games Lineup for America/Australia:
3DS American launch list.
Each first-party game has a suggested retail price of $39.99.

First-Party:
Pilotwings Resort
Steel Diver
Nintendogs + Cats

Third-Party:
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
The Sims 3
Madden NFL Football
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Bust-A-Move Universe
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
Asphalt 3D
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
Rayman 3D
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
Australian line-up announced.
For the full list of games launching alongside the Nintendo 3DS on March 31, check out the list below:

Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog & New Friends
Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle & New Friends
Ridge Racer 3D
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Raving Rabbids: Travel in Time
Rayman 3D
Asphalt 3D Nitro Racing

[UPDATE] Ubisoft has since confirmed that all of its games mentioned above will be available on March 31.

Videos courtesy of Nintendo:

previewimage.png iwatalaughs3ds.png gamelineupvideo.png

capcominterview.png petermooreinterview.png

Recent news of interest and reviews: (brought to you by UncleSporky)

(More recent posts seen first, oldest posts towards the bottom)
So it turns out there are not just 6 AR games. There are actually 14!

You start with nothing but target shooting unlocked, and after playing it you unlock the next one, until you've unlocked all six of the starting AR games:

- target shooting
- minigolf
- fishing
- graffiti
- Mii viewer
- Star viewer

At this point a new cube appears that lets you flip the table surface upside down to reveal a shopping area where you can buy eight more "games" using game coins earned through the pedometer:
- a clock
- a globe
- a second target shooting game
- a second minigolf game
- a camera that lets you save pictures of every other AR game
- a table terraforming program (think Sim City/Sims mountain editor)
- a free fishing mode (in contrast to the game version)
- a fish model viewer to look at what you've caught

So while the total package is still less than something like Wii Sports, it shapes up to be much more significant than what we were originally told, especially when you also factor in Face Raiders, StreetPass RPG / Puzzle, and the other included software.
Some quotes from the Famitsu reviews:
- Super Street Fighter IV (9/8/8/9, 34 points): "The way you can use the touch screen to launch even charge moves in an instant is actually kind of revolutionary for the series, a change that I think could lead to some neat new tactics. Despite that, the controls can still be very difficult at times, even with the ability to redefine buttons. Whether you're able to overlook that will define your overall the opinion of the game."

- Dynasty Warriors 3DS (9/9/8/8, 34 points): "Nothing has changed much in the DW formula, but switching between characters while shouting out orders to your side gives this game a new sort of real-time strategy feel. Going 3D makes it easier to gauge positioning between yourself and enemies, which makes the game easier overall."

- Nintendogs + Cats (10/9/9/10, 38 points): "The sheer fuzziness factor on all the pets is too cute. Watching them totter around in 3D is so calming, and the act of petting them has much more of a you-are-there feel to it. Keeping a dog and cat together gives you a huge number of must-see moments, and the ability to interact quickly and easily with other pet owners is great...The play style hasn't changed much from the old game, but Nintendogs + Cats still has plenty of new surprises," one of them wrote in this week's new issue. "The 'cute' level of the puppies and kittens has really shot up from the first one, and just watching their expressions and mannerisms is a great stress relief."

- Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (8/8/8/8, 32 points): "The simple interface and screen setup is similar to the rest of the series and put together very well. The animated parts are in 3D and there are a variety of new features and game gimmicks, but the play style hasn't changed much. It's a natural progression for the series, 3D support included."

- Super Monkey Ball 3DS (9/8/8/7, 32 points): "Having three different games to enjoy is great, although the Monkey Fight and Race bits are rehashes of other titles and not all that exciting. The core Monkey Ball game, though, uses 3D in a variety of gimmicks and traps to make the whole experience a lot more impactful and exciting. It's simple to learn and highly addictive."

- Ridge Racer 3D (8/8/7/9, 32 points): "The courses are full of floaty jumps and other gimmicks to get you inside the game more. Racing across them is pretty fun, and the drifting (which tends to throw off beginners in other games) is simple to pull off. The rival cars you race in Grand Prix mode and so on are pretty tough, though, and I wonder if the game's still too hard overall. A difficulty selection would have been nice...Ridge Racer 3D brings you back to the Ridge of a simpler time -- which sounds like a slam, but it's true. From the competition to the drifting, it encapsulates what makes racing games fun really well."

And first shots of the graffiti mode and Star Viewer:

Grafitti.jpg

Star-Viewer.jpg
All AR games revealed!
Fishing and billiards are among six new augmented reality games that will come preloaded on Nintendo 3DS, according to an anonymous source who provided details of five as-yet-unannounced titles to Wired.com.

The glasses-free 3-D portable gaming system launches Saturday in Japan, and AR games are among its most highly anticipated features. While Nintendo has demo’d one of the games, the company has remained mum about the other five.

Speaking anonymously to Wired.com, a source who was provided a preview of the Nintendo 3DS filled us in on the mystery titles in Nintendo’s AR Games line: Fishing, Graffiti, AR Shot, Mii Pics and Star Pics. Our source provided photographs that purport to be from two of the games.

The source said the titles were provided in advance of the 3DS release but were later pulled back by Nintendo. So it is possible that the final lineup may have changed.

You’ll find descriptions of all five launch games below. (Note: The names of each game are descriptive and not necessarily official titles.) Asked Tuesday about the AR Games lineup, a Nintendo of America representative said the company would not comment.

Nintendo’s AR Games for 3DS

AR Shot
This game is described by our source as a sort of combination of pool and miniature golf. You aim at the ball with a cue stick and hit it around the course, hoping to sink it in the hole at the far end. You can walk around the surface of the table to take shots from different angles. This game was also described in a forum post by a British journalist with a 3DS.

Fishing
Your table becomes a fishing pond, and you lower and raise your rod into the water to pull out bigger and bigger fish. Eventually, a shark might pop out of the water (and out of your screen using the 3-D effect). Our source was quite impressed with the control of the fishing rod and the visual effects that transform your surface into a pool of water.

Graffiti
A 3-D drawing application in which you can use several different paintbrushes and other visual effects, including fire. You can then manipulate the resulting 3-D image, using the 3DS buttons to make it spin around or bounce.

Star Pics
Many of the AR Games, including the one that Nintendo demonstrated to Wired.com, are played using a card with an image of a yellow question mark. Star Pics is played with other cards in the package that feature famous Nintendo characters: Mario, Link, Kirby, Samus Aran and Pikmin.

When you point the 3DS’ cameras at these cards, 3-D models of the characters appear on your table. You can pose them in different positions, then save pictures of scenes you create.

Mii Pics
Very similar to Star Pics, but it uses Mii caricatures that players make of themselves. (You can import your Miis from your Wii console into your Nintendo 3DS.) Nintendo made an oblique reference to this game in its official 3DS literature, calling it “an interactive photo shoot with your Mii characters.”
arshotsm.jpg

arfishsm.jpg

I love how these warp the surface.

So altogether, the (mini)games included with the 3DS are:

AR Shot
AR Fishing
AR Target Shooting
Face Raiders
StreetPass Mii RPG
StreetPass Mii Puzzle

And I'd guess it's likely that Flipnote Studio will be available and still free, unless they're developing a 3D version!

Also, supposedly the first round of review scores from Famitsu, in case anyone cares:

nintendogs + cats (3DS) – 10/9/9/10
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (3DS) – 9/9/8/8
Super Street Fighter IV 3D (3DS) – 9/8/8/9
PES 2011 3D (3DS) – 8/8/8/8
Professor Layton and the Mask or Miracle (3DS) – 8/8/8/8
Ridge Racer 3D (3DS) – 8/8/7/9
Super Monkey Ball 3D (3DS) – 9/8/8/7
Shanghai 3D Cube (3DS) – 7/7/7/5
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D (3DS) – 6/6/6/6
Puzzle Bobble 3D (3DS) – 6/6/6/6

Other news:
IGN wrote:
It would be accurate to say that the 3DS is sold out throughout Japan. However, this is one system that won't be totally impossible to find for long. Following the system's launch Saturday morning, we found one retailer that was expecting a new shipment as early as Sunday!

The system did sell out quickly upon release, however. Most shops were pre-order only, but the ones that did have same day units drew lines of up to 1,000. Stock depleted quickly, and in most cases if you hadn't lined up by 9:00, you were out of luck.

Nintendo has officially said that it will have 1.5 million systems shipped to Japanese shops by the end of this fiscal term (March 31). Nikkei has confirmed an initial shipment of just above 400,000 units, a figure that's in line with initial shipments for the Wii and original DS.

Launch titles included Nintendogs + cats (available in three versions), Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Combat of Giants Dinosaur 3D, Ridge Racer 3D, Samurai Warriors Chronicle, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, Winning Eleven 3D and Puzzle Bobble 3D. One major shop in Tokyo told Japanese gaming site Famitsu.com that Ridge Racer, Winning Eleven, Street Fighter and Layton were particularly popular.

Retailers throughout Tokyo have been adding a big 3DS presence to their game areas in the build up to the system's launch. In most cases, displays consist of demo kiosks allowing users to sample the system's launch titles.

Contrary to speculation, the 3DS's digital download store and internet browser will be up and running from launch, Nintendo has confirmed.

A Wired report earlier this week claimed that the new handheld's eStore would not be ready on the day of release and would be added in later via a firmware update.

However, a spokesperson for Nintendo told Eurogamer today that although neither an internet browser nor the eStore would be included in the console's "initial firmware" they will be "updated on day one".

According to MCV, Europe is getting 900,000 units of the 3DS console. This news comes via what they call “a number of well connected parties.”

Nintendo have made about four million (probably just under four million) 3DS consoles available at launch, meaning that the US and Japan will be left with about 3 million units between them.

In addition, the UK trade paper – which focuses on the commercial side of the gaming scene – reckons that Nintendo are aiming to get four and a half to five million units out in Europe within year one.

A fuckton of commercials like this to be expected soon!

1UP has the 3DS Launch in Japan Covered:

The 3DS is Now Available - Info Here

987o.jpg

992a.jpg

984t.jpg

991b.jpg

985i.jpg

989om.jpg

979q.jpg

Coming soon:
983m.jpg

3DS Launch Window Games List (link here)
Nintendo said today it will release more than 30 3DS games in the United States during the console's launch window, which takes place between the March 27 launch date and the E3 Expo in June.

A representative clarified to say that specific launch dates for the below games have not been announced yet. Here are the 23 confirmed for the launch window so far:

First-Party Titles:

Pilotwings Resort
Nintendogs + Cats
Steel Diver

Third-Party Titles:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Madden NFL Football
The Sims 3
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Ridge Racer 3D and Dual Pen Sports
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Thor: God of Thunder
CRUSH 3D
BUST-A-MOVE UNIVERSE
Samurai Warriors Chronicles
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Asphalt 3D
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D
Rayman 3D
Rabbids Travel in Time

Nintendo noted the following games are currently "in the works." It's unclear at this time if these titles will be available during the launch window:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Star Fox 64 3D
Kid Icarus: Uprising
New Mario Kart
New Animal Crossing
New Paper Mario series

Links to prominent 3DS related sites:

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds

http://ds.ign.com/

http://www.3dsbuzz.com/

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/

https://sites.google.com/site/nintendomediaground/

NNID: Rehab0
Rehab on

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    $250 is definitely not bad!

Green on
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here's a nice in-game footage compilation of most (all?) playable games from yesterday's conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2NxfInOQ3E&feature=feedu

Catshade on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peter Moore needs to tattoo the release date to his face

Snowblindvictim on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Continued from last thread:
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Taya wrote: »
    My biggest concern is that they'll translate Phoenix Wright vs Layton into English and give it a PAL release only like they did with the Layton movie. That's almost worse than if they keep it in Japan.

I imported Ouendan 1 and 2, and Band Brothers. They are all excellent games but I don't think my life would be any different had I not imported them.

But Phoenix Wright vs Layton.... I need that game.

That's one thing I'm glad I can definitely get my hands on. Layton just sells like hotcakes in Europe so it will get a PAL release guaranteed.

Well, Level 5 recently opened up a US branch, and Layton does sell decently in the US. Every Ace Attorney game gets published as well so it would make little sense if it didn't come to the US.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wish someone would tell me what frame rate Ocarina of Time runs at

somebody who knows about frame rates

also Link's new falling animation is awesome.

mntorankusu on
  • JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    $250 is just high enough to put this out of my price range. I was really hoping they would hit the $200 mark. I understand they are on new ground with this 3D screen, and maybe once I get a chance to hold the thing I will think differently.

Jollus on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jollus wrote: »
    $250 is just high enough to put this out of my price range. I was really hoping they would hit the $200 mark. I understand they are on new ground with this 3D screen, and maybe once I get a chance to hold the thing I will think differently.

It's not just the 3D screen. It also has a lot of graphical power (along with accelerometers and pedometers, among other stuff).

RockinX on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm of a mind to wait for the time being, but I do wonder if it'll be possible to find one at all if one doesn't snatch a 3DS up at the midnight launch. I remember the Wii madness.

I'm not doing that again.

Darlan on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Huh, something that I didn't see anything about before and is pretty cool at that:

Nintendo 3DS supports MP3 and SDHC cards

Nintendo have announced today at their New York conference that the Nintendo 3DS system will support MP3 and AAC audio files. Through the pre-installed 3DS Sound application, you can browse through your tracks, listen to music and even manipulate audio. The Nintendo Wii originally supported MP3 files however an update caused the system to switch to AAC files instead. Going back to MP3 support eliminates the need for an MP3 player and further emphasises the "take your 3DS everywhere with you" ideals.

The Nintendo 3DS will also officially support SDHC cards up to 32GB allowing heaps of room to save downloadable content, game data, 3D photos and audio. Digital downloads from the Nintendo eShop such as the Internet Browser application will all be stored onto the SD card. The Internet Browser will be made available through the eShop at a later date, this application will allow you to browse the net even in the middle of playing a game.

Rehab on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SDHC also includes SD cards right?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Someone told me that the OOT remake will have new content (dungeons etc).

Were they just bullshitting?

Shurakai on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The DSi worked with SDHC cards. I've got a 16GB card sitting in it with a large portion of my music library. I had to convert everything to AAC so it's nice to hear the 3DS will support MP3.

SirToasty on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shurakai wrote: »

I have not heard this, nor do I want this to be the case.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RockinX wrote: »

It's not just the 3D screen. It also has a lot of graphical power (along with accelerometers and pedometers, among other stuff).

Woah, wait. So we could see built in Pokewalker like functionality to the next gen of games? I thought it was a neat addition. Combine that with DQ9's tag mode (now built into the 3DS firmware) and... yay!

KiTA on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KiTA wrote: »

Woah, wait. So we could see built in Pokewalker like functionality to the next gen of games? I thought it was a neat addition. Combine that with DQ9's tag mode (now built into the 3DS firmware) and... yay!

the pedometer is always on, actually. a certain amount of steps translates into coins that the machine gives you. devs can allow you to spend those coins on unlockables or in game features.

at least, that's how i understand it's going to be implemented

Guek on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Friend codes?

YodaTuna on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One per system.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I already said this in the Game Industry thread, but Australian retailers (EB and Game) have pre-orders set at Aus$348 and Aus$388 respectively. While we're not yet certain if those are still placeholder prices that haven't yet been updated or not, one thing's for certain: we're going to get reamed.

Jintor on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Definitely not getting it at launch then

Or if so gonna import it.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One per system.

Yea they said that about the Wii too. Fuck.

YodaTuna on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hope this isn't region locked then D:

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    One per system.

They never said you'd be able to play games with each other using the Wii system code.

Reggie specifically mentioned this time that individual games no longer have their own friend codes, and that you'll be able to see what games your friends are playing and join them easily just after registering their system friend code.

mntorankusu on
    edited January 2011
    One per system.

no, it's definitely one per system now. you have a unified friends list and you can see when friends log on any time in the middle of a game by pressing the home button (it can multi-task). how long those friend codes are is unknown, though it's probably wishful thinking that nintendo would do something like the 3 digit code in battle.net.

you can also send friend requests and add friends instantly if you're playing with them locally

Guek on
    edited January 2011
    I think Nintendo has already officially announced that shit's going to be region locked, right? :T

Jintor on
    edited January 2011

it seems that the consensus is that region locking is up to the publishers...meaning most will likely region lock their games

Guek on
  • iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here in the UK I just got an Email from HMV for preorders - £229.99

iMatt on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    I already said this in the Game Industry thread, but Australian retailers (EB and Game) have pre-orders set at Aus$348 and Aus$388 respectively. While we're not yet certain if those are still placeholder prices that haven't yet been updated or not, one thing's for certain: we're going to get reamed.

Game is struggling at the moment, I wonder if that $388 is going to be some forced bundle bullshit. EB are the recommended retail price specialists, so I'd go with $350 being the RRP. That said, given that the US price converts to ~$251.50 before tax, and therefore ~$276.50 after GST, we're paying an additional ~$75 (a markup of ~27%). It has been worse for us, but it still sucks.

Also, compared to the Japanese price (25000 yen), the markup is 14%, assuming the japanese price includes tax.

edit: Europe are no doubt having a much higher % markup than Australia is.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Am I remembering incorrectly, or did Reggie also say something about not needing to mutually exchange codes anymore? It'd be nice if only one player needs to input the other player's code, to send a friend request. That cuts the amount of shit that has to be done to play with each other in half.

mntorankusu on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guek wrote: »

it seems that the consensus is that region locking is up to the publishers...meaning most will likely region lock their games

I asked in the other thread, but wanted to here: seeing as this is the same as it was for the 360, who tends to lock and who tends not to lock on the 360? Are quirky japanese games with no large international market likely to be locked? Do the big puclishers always lock, while the smaller ones perhaps don't?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Guek wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »

the pedometer is always on, actually. a certain amount of steps translates into coins that the machine gives you. devs can allow you to spend those coins on unlockables or in game features.

at least, that's how i understand it's going to be implemented

Indeed, some information on that and other stuff pulled from the last thread:
    1up has a decent podcast on their site focusing on the 3DS and the Nintendo World 2011 event that went on recently.

Some of the more interesting things they brought up:
    • Bundled software: 3DS camera, 3DS sound, built-in Street Pass, Mii lobby and parade, Mii games (apparently one called Mii Legends came up, an RPG featuring Miis, that uses Street Pass), Mii player cards (not sure), AR games, a notepad that stores information such as game times and collected data from Street Pass of other players (has a pedometer built-in and features something called Game Coins which you collect as you walk around and can then use "supposedly" to purchase items in games), and Face Shooting (takes a picture of your face and then maps a mouth and eyes to it, creating a sort of boss like Andross from Starfox which you then shoot at in AR).

• Pack-in stuff: system, charging dock, A/C adapter, a 2 gigabyte SD memory card, six AR cards (used in AR games), easy start guide, instruction manuel, and warranty info.

• The Virtual Console is going to be Game Boy and Game Boy Color games only for now. Advance games are almost guaranteed to be introduced later on though.

• Metal Gear Solid 3D, Resident Evil Revelations, and Super Street Fighter 4 seem to the games that use 3D the best so far. The new Pilotwings and Kid Icarus displayed impressive use of 3D as well.

• The Circle Pad is apparently pretty awesome and made controlling your character in all of the games great. Everyone unanimously agreed on that.

• Resident Evil Revelations looks somewhere between Resident Evil 4 and 5 but is said to have more horror elements in line with the first game.

• Dead or Alive: Dimension will run at 30 FPS in 3D and 60 FPS in 2D.

• Kind of funny, in Nintendogs + Cats the dog will recognize your face and if you put it close to the screen it will lick you. If someone that the dog doesn't know were to open the 3DS though the dog will start barking at them. Supports Augument Reality so that if you put a card in your room you can have the dog run around in your room. Apparently it knows where walls are and you can take pictures of the dog in your room as it shows up on the screen during AR mode.

• In Ocarina of Time 3D when using the slingshot, you can physically move the 3DS to aim using the gyroscope.

• Steel Diver has two different modes to it. One os a sort of shooter mode aiming with the periscope like you aim with the slingshot in Zelda and the other is a side-scrolling mode that involves maneuvering and firing.

• Nintendo is trying to space out software releases, I guess we'll see how that goes.

And Iwata Asks talked about it too:
    Konno: That's an element of the StreetPass feature, too. The walk mode uses your Mii character, so your Mii character walks whatever dog you set it for.

(StreetPass™: A communication system that allows users who walk around with their Nintendo 3DS system turned on to exchange game data with other Nintendo 3DS users that they pass on the street)

Itoi: Hey, that's pretty nice!

Konno: And with nintendogs + cats, when you're using StreetPass and exchange data with someone, in walk mode, that person's Mii is walking whatever puppy he or she has chosen. Then your Miis and puppies talk and exchange gifts.
    Miyamoto: When people with dogs exchange game data, it will be intriguingly realistic.

Iwata: And the very way that you connect in StreetPass this time has evolved quite a lot.

Konno: Right. The earlier Nintendogs games were the first to have a Bark Mode of Nintendo DS, and in the new one, that function is even better. To put it simply, StreetPass is a standard feature of the Nintendo 3DS.

Itoi: Oh?

Iwata: In other words, it's in StreetPass even if you don't set it in the software. Until now, people playing a particular game had to actually physically come near each other in Bark Mode, so lots of people needed to be playing the same game. Right after a game went on sale, you might run across other players fairly often, but as time passed, the number would drop off.

Itoi: Right.

Iwata: We wanted to make it so that people who used to play a certain game then stopped could still exchange information. That way people who are playing the game will be happy, but others who have been taking a break may find an occasion to begin again.

Itoi: Oh, I see!

Konno: So this time, we included the Street Pass within the Nintendo 3DS system itself, rather than having it just be in specific games. Now, for example, when you play a game like Nintendogs or Animal Crossing or Pokémon, if you turn StreetPass on, you will exchange game data with other users five, six, seven times for multiple games just by walking around with your Nintendo 3DS.

Itoi: So game data for each of the games I play is in the system, and, if StreetPass is on, every time I pass someone, it exchanges information for all those games all on its own?

Iwata: Yes.

Itoi: Really?

Konno: For example, suppose you haven't been playing nintendogs + cats for about one month. Game data from when you played before, however, is stored in your Nintendo 3DS. Then when you play the game again, a new puppy has come, and it has a present for you! Things like that will happen.

Rehab on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nice OP. Especially like the picture links

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    plufim wrote: »

Game is struggling at the moment, I wonder if that $388 is going to be some forced bundle bullshit. EB are the recommended retail price specialists, so I'd go with $350 being the RRP. That said, given that the US price converts to ~$251.50 before tax, and therefore ~$276.50 after GST, we're paying an additional ~$75 (a markup of ~27%). It has been worse for us, but it still sucks.

Also, compared to the Japanese price (25000 yen), the markup is 14%, assuming the japanese price includes tax.

edit: Europe are no doubt having a much higher % markup than Australia is.

I think I could stomach around $300 with no game, but $350 is just out of reach without a pack-in. That said, I'm still glad not to be in Europe, but I think they might have a wider variety of choices of retailers to go to. That that said, we haven't seen our Department stores come out with a price just yet, so...

Jintor on
    edited January 2011
    Though CSI-like analysis of Nintendo World Report's video of Ocarina of Time 3D, I have concluded that it runs at 30fps. Probably.

Maybe.

mntorankusu on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

What the fuck. This is just completely and utterly fucked up the ass.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    edited January 2011
    Shurakai wrote: »

More than likely. Pulled from an IGN article:

There's certainly no indication of new enemies, dungeons, or gameplay concepts... and I'm not sure if that comes as a relief or a bit of a disappointment.
    Friend codes?

Oh yeah, I'll go back and make that a bullet point as I add some more info here.

Really pleased about that though. I pretty much just didn't bother with online at all before honesly.

Rehab on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do we know what games are at launch and which are just near launch yet?

I had read that SSF4 is a launch title, but apparently that's just for Japan and the release date for other places hasn't been announced.

Peewi on
  • KwornKworn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Though CSI-like analysis of Nintendo World Report's video of Ocarina of Time 3D, I have concluded that it runs at 30fps. Probably.

Maybe.

Did you zoom and also enhance?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Even if the 3D didn't interest me, the extra graphical and processing power would. Chances are that I'd have it set to 2D most of the time to conserve the battery and get more fps anyway.

And were those dinosaurs I saw fighting?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited January 2011

Maybe.

Did you zoom and also enhance?

Yes. I zoomed into Gohma's eyeball to discover a reflection of Shigeru Miyamoto holding a sign. After enhancing it, I was able to see that the sign reads "We will never release a 3D Zelda game that runs at 60fps"
    If you're actually interested, you can tell just by looking at the way the frames are blended together from (in-game) motion blur effects or the camera's exposure time. If it ran at 60fps, every frame of the 30fps camera video should include two unique frames blended together, but they don't.

It could just be a badly encoded video, though. Who knows?

mntorankusu on