As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We are the future, Charles, not them. [X-Men: First Class]

mrmrmrmr nameless protagonistRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
X-men%20Ficlass%20Banner%2011.png

X-Men: First Class is a prequel to the X-Men trilogy of films from 20th Century Fox. The film is directed by Matthew Vaughn and produced by Bryan Singer, who directed X-Men and X2: X-Men United.

From wikipedia:
"Before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were the closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto’s Brotherhood and Professor X’s X-Men."

Besides that, major plot details are scarce, but what is known so far is that the film takes place in 1962, and focuses on Professor X and Magneto discovering the mutant world. This includes finding other mutants, colaborating with researcher Dr. Moira Mactaggert, and dealing with the secret society known as The Hellfire Club. But plenty of characters are known and cast, and they'll be stopping by in a minute.

The name "First Class" was taken from the comic series also called "X-Men: First Class", which dealt with little known adventures of Professor X's first team of mutants, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Angel, and Iceman. This movie apparently has nothing to do with that premise. Let me show you.

The Good Guys (Presumably)
xmfcright.jpg
From left to right:
Nicholas Hoult as Hank McCoy/Beast
Lucas Till as Alex Summers/Havok
Zoe Kravitz as "Angel" Salvadore
Jennifer Lawrence as Raven Darkholme/Mystique
James McAvoy as Charles Xavier

and

The Not-So-Good Guys (mostly)
xmfcleft.jpg
Left to right:
Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto
Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggert (presumably not a villain)
January Jones as Emma Frost/White Queen
Jason Flemyng as Azazel (that's right, Azazel)

But that's not all, here are a few other official shots.

x-men-first-class-cast.jpg
Left to right:
Caleb Landry Jones as Sean Cassidy/Banshee, Magneto, "normal" Mystique, Moira MacTaggert, pre-blue fur Hank McCoy, Professor X, and Havok.

kevin-bacon-and-january-jones-xmen-first-class1.jpg
And here you have Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw, the leader of The Hellfire Club, talking to Emma Frost.

With those images comes a report from the set and some concerns of director Matthew Vaughn.
Right here is a long interview with Kevin Bacon, about being Seb Shaw and the film.
And January Jones sheds some light on her role and other stuff.

And lookit this, a trailer!

Neat!

This film is due out in theaters on June 3rd of this year. Being an X-Men fan I am excited, despite it looking not as good as the first two.

So let's talk about this, and if you want, you can talk about the other films from the series, like

X-Men directed by Bryan Singer
XMen1poster.jpg

X2: X-Men United also by Singer
X2_poster_version2.jpg

Brett Ratner's X-Men: The Last Stand directed by Brett Ratner
or
X-Men Origins: Wolverine directed by Gavin Hood
Wolverine2.gif

So let's get the ball rolling. And let's try not to cause brain hemorrhages by thinking about how this film fits in the already wierd film continuity.

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
p4.png
mrmr on

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This looks like it would be better as a TV series.

Also looking at Frost's costume, they should learn from other movies and not try to copy them straight out of the comic. Emma's makes no sense.

Quid on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm pretty sure the "good guys/bad guys" image is confirmed fake.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's what some are saying.

Cade on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Though I will say, though I'm kind of hesitant to judge from just two pictures, they really aren't trying for the early 60s look very hard.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Emma Frost looks absurd.

So spot on I guess.

-SPI- on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That is a really weird cast of mutants. Havoc and not!Angel alone are pretty weird, but having Azazel? Like... there are a ton of characters who are more popular/fit better.

Z0re on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If it's 1962, then Xavier should already have lost his hair and the use of his legs.

Captain Carrot on
  • Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Quid wrote: »

Also looking at Frost's costume, they should learn from other movies and not try to copy them straight out of the comic. Emma's makes no sense.

When I first saw this picture I really thought it was a TV series. Sad, really.

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mixed feelings.

Fassbender, McAvoy, Bacon = good actors
    Jones, Byrne = eh . . . .
    the rest = generic kids from Abercrombie ads
    Matt Vaughn = decent director, not amazing
    random assortment of 5th-tier characters = meh

Given that Fox, again, listed the release date before the script was finished or the cast/crew was in place doesn't bode well. The last two times they did that we got Wolverine Origins and X3.

In short, I'll give it a shot, but I'm not even cautiously optimistic.

Now, if we're talking about the Aronofsky Wolverine, man I'm stoked about that.

Atomika on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    newly released teaser movie poster:

x-men-first-class-teaser.jpg

Times New Roman first class m i rite?

TexiKen on
  • mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I've read different things about the cast pics. They look legit enough, but some report it's fake but some say the newer high-res versions are official.

I think girl Angel is a very silly choice, but at least they didn't go with the full comic representation (hopefully...). And while I think Havok is a neat character, I can't wrap my head around why him and not Cyclops. Or both.

Starting with X-Men 3, I always start out looking at the choices/ideas with the new films and groan. Then, as they get closer to release I get more cautiously excited, then afterwords dissapointed. I bet this will be no different.

mrmr on
    p4.png
    edited January 2011
    If Mystique is seriously portrayed as a teenage student under Xavier I'm going to be pissed. She's practically Wolverine's age, and she's pretty much always been Neutral Evil.

Captain Carrot on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bryan Singer appeared to hit his groove in X2, and then abruptly left it for Superman, which is kind of disappointing since he didn't leave it to reboot Superman, which is, realistically, what he should have been allowed to do. He's a pretty talented director, even though his writing doesn't leave me quite as impressed as with the new Batman movies.

I really wished he's coming back to X men in a really invested way because he seemed to get it even though the fixation on Wolverine in the first two movies seemed a little marketing driven. He apparently wrote this X-Men, so I'm hoping that and the fact he's producing will actually show that he really does care about the franchise from more than a "We're in the money" way.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really don't care for how the entire X-Men franchise has basically jettisoned all but the barest elements of the text in their constant "more mutants = more merchandise" hunt.

I mean, Azazel? Really?

Even acknowledging the budgetary and narrative limitations of making movies, there are so many exciting and fresh stories in the X-Men canon that have gone untold in favor of some boring old rehash and an interchangeable cast of has-been characters.

Atomika on
    edited January 2011
    I'm a fairly big comics dork and I've never heard of Azazel being connected to the X-Men at all. I've barely heard of him in comics, period.

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011
    Azazel is pretty much a "demon" mutant who is also the father of Nightcrawler. I doubt they can fit that into the film and explain it at all.

Also, I read somewhere a while ago that they have cast Darwin and Riptide (finally, some A-Listers). Wikipedia lists them, but really that's all I've heard recently so I dunno how accurate that is.

mrmr on
    p4.png
    edited January 2011
    Wait, I thought Mystique was Nightcrawler's dad. The same way Loki is Fenris's mom.

Captain Carrot on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I know it was definitely at least originally a demon.

Though now I guess they've fleshed out that those demons were mutants.

Quid on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mystique is Nightcrawlers mother. There is no gender ambiguity.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nicholas Hoult and James McAvoy? Good times.

mrmr wrote: »
    And while I think Havok is a neat character, I can't wrap my head around why him and not Cyclops. Or both.
    It's an obvious interesting plot point to try and make Cyclops more interesting.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If Mystique is seriously portrayed as a teenage student under Xavier I'm going to be pissed. She's practically Wolverine's age, and she's pretty much always been Neutral Evil.

The movie version of Mystique has always struck me as being younger and less ambitious. She follows Magneto so loyally while the comics version will never listen to anyone for more than five minutes.

Scooter on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    what the hell is this shit

Azazel? What the fuck?

No Ian McKellen or Stewart in this movie means that it will suck. Those two practically carried the movies on their own.

those teams make no fucking sense whatsoever

DarkCrawler on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Mystique being a student of Xavier's really, really isn't a big deal.

Azaael is a really odd choice, though. The stories with him are pretty terrible, so Christ knows what that character's actually going to be in the movie.

Bogart on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Scooter wrote: »

The movie version of Mystique has always struck me as being younger and less ambitious. She follows Magneto so loyally while the comics version will never listen to anyone for more than five minutes.

Pretty much this, she was more or less in love with Magneto and looked up to him as the savior to mutants everywhere. He leaves her be when she gets turned human, acts like a love struck woman betrayed and betrays him in turn.

She was hardly the cunning or plotting/planning woman as she was in the comics.

Granted the comics has had what, 30 or 40 years to build on her so it might be a tad unfair to compare.

Cade on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is just another CGI movie that will be judged by it's one-liners.

There are too many characters to have a plot.

Xehalus on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Isn't this just something Fox is shitting out so they can keep the license? I'm hoping it's good, but the whole project seems so goddamn weird. It looks more like Torchwood or something than an actual movie.

Edit: I should say that it reminds me of that godawful Generation X TV movie that also had Banshee and Emma Frost in it. Eh, maybe that's a bit harsh.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Quid wrote: »

When I first saw this picture I really thought it was a TV series. Sad, really.

Vaughn, the director didn't want those photos used and doesn't know where they came from:
    “I freaked out on them yesterday. I don’t know where the hell that came from. I don’t think it’s a Fox image. It’s not a pre-approved image. When I found out, I said, what the fuck is this shit, and Fox is running around trying to figure out what happened as well. I agree. It’s like a bad photoshop, which maybe it was by someone. It didn’t reflect the movie. I was shocked when I saw it. I was like ‘Jesus Christ’…"

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to be optimistic about this movie because I really love the franchise.

Everything I see about it makes me die a little inside. Except Kevin Bacon, that is.

Tomanta on
    edited January 2011
    Bogart wrote: »
    Mystique being a student of Xavier's really, really isn't a big deal.
    How? She's seriously never been on their side, much less trained with them, much less been in the first damn group of students he trained.

Captain Carrot on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So is the Wolverine movie being written off as non-canon?

Or I mean what the hell is with this selection of mutants? Are they chosen at random now?

tardcore on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    fuck me... Azazel? Really? Has there ever been a single person who has ever enjoyed that story line in the history of ever? I submit that there is not.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait... is Xavier the same age as all the other X-men? And they're practically teenagers. What the fuck is this? WB's North Salem (North Salem, BTW, is where Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters is located)?

Premier kakos on
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pretty sure that the only reason they brought in Azazel is they needed a mutant who could teleport and looked funny to fit the Nightcrawler niche.

When word that this was being released came out, I had foolishly hoped that it would be an adaptation of either Giant-Size X-Men or X-Men: Deadly Genesis - you know, the foremost story(or retcon, depending) of Xavier's first class of mutants. I see now I was wrong. Very, very wrong.

Ranadiel on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to have a very hard time divorcing James McAvoy from Mr. Tumnus. I just, I can't see that wussy little fawn-man leading the X-Men.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2011
    The whole thing with the floating chair was just a cover to hide Charles' hideous goat legs.

Ranadiel on
    edited January 2011
    Two_More_Images_From_Men_First_Class_Make_For_The_Banner_1295513567.jpg
    New Magneto shot. Hopefully this is when he's still "good" and later they change it when he goes his own way.

Thinking about Deadly Genesis, maybe they might go with the same feeling of failure that Xavier had. Maybe it ends up with his team getting pretty much wiped out, and those who don't leave (Mystique leaving for Magneto, and Beast leaving to wherever if X3 is taken into account). It would explain why most of them don't show up in earlier films.

But, meh, wishful thinking.

mrmr on
    p4.png
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    but the helmet is to protect himself from the prof
    he doesnt need it if he's good
    he just needs a normal hard hat to protect himself from falling debris

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited January 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    but the helmet is to protect himself from the prof
    he doesnt need it if he's good
    he just needs a normal hard hat to protect himself from falling debris

Ugh, I know. I can't help but wonder if these people have ever read the comics.

Ranadiel on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not one to normally engage in the typical fan-boy wankery, but this just looks god awful.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't believe they released the Magneto pic to calm down people after the other pictures. This looks even worse. The helmet looks so damn out of place.

Kyougu on