As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D A O holy C ow its still the best PvP!

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
Anyone else still playing Dark Age of Camelot?

I took a break from wow for a while. Best part about resubbing is that they give you 15 days free as a bonus where your credit card isn't charged.

I started playing my old Vampiir on Hib, then I started a bard to pass the time.

Anyone else resub? I'm flat broke in the game including Alb where I used to play. The game still has some of the best PvP of any MMO ever made, including Warhammer online and world of warcraft.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a lot of good DAoC memories (played on Pellinor, the best server in the history of DAoC).

The ToA expansion and/or the time I spent playing Warhammer have soured me on any current/future Mythic products, however (though I'm sure they'll be able to rope me in with DAoC2 in 2015 or whenever).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Being bored with wow I downloaded the 15 day trial for this, I haven't played since vanilla and holy shit have things changed.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a lot of good DAoC memories (played on Pellinor, the best server in the history of DAoC).

The ToA expansion and/or the time I spent playing Warhammer have soured me on any current/future Mythic products, however (though I'm sure they'll be able to rope me in with DAoC2 in 2015 or whenever).

I played DAoC when it first came out, still got the discs for it and Shrouded Isles

I quit around the time Trials of Atlantis came out, what was the big deal with that? I know a lot of people hated it, but I never knew what it changed

I'm doing the 14 day trial now, I see there's an option to turn off ToA trees? I don't understand what this means

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Old school Merlin/Midgard here, was a Shadowblade (played the Critblade style for a long time until it was nerfed). I drifted away just before ToA came out, partly because Shadowbane was about to release, and party because my real life was in a bit of turmoil at the time.

I still have awesome memories of my first artifact raid, steam rolling both the Alb and Hib armies.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I played a Friar on Percival I believe, back in the day

Anyone know a good server now? What's the deal with Ywain1 - 10?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They basically took all of the servers that weren't PVP and PVE and rolled them into one giant cluster.

That and Europe players are playing along side the US players.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I tried getting into this again a few months ago, but it was just downright painful.

I brought up an albion scout and got him partially temped out, but the lag was just so excruciating I couldn't play. Queue up a sniper shot, wait a couple seconds, then before the client would update you'd be 2 shot by some SB perfing you in the face.

The BG's were still kind of fun, if you could find a group. Then you'd stand a little bit of a chance against the ridiculously pimped out characters living there. Especially molvik, ugh.

The rampant side switching was atrocious too. The only time the Mid zerg would ease up would be when they'd log on their hib alts and take over the alb keeps they were sitting in.

Oh and buff pots are still no match for cleric buffs, so bot or gtfo.

Even with rose colored glasses, you should just stay away from daoc at this point. Alas it will only hurt your good memories.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't ever go back to any MMO pre-WoW anymore, the gameplay and interfaces are just too archaic in retrospect. DAoC was a pretty cool game but it was deeply flawed in a lot of ways, particularly all the ways that involve PvE.

Zek on
  • Options
    buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I played DAoC when it first came out, still got the discs for it and Shrouded Isles

I quit around the time Trials of Atlantis came out, what was the big deal with that? I know a lot of people hated it, but I never knew what it changed

I'm doing the 14 day trial now, I see there's an option to turn off ToA trees? I don't understand what this means

ToA forced you to grind for scrolls and other crap in PvE just to compete in PvP. It was a rat race few people wanted, because it detracted from the game's real focus. Other than the population spike with Shrouded Isles, it was the start of a general decline of the game. Mythic could have pulled it together and saved the game, but they'e always been half-assed as far as promotion and responsiveness.

The fixes the game needed always came too little too late.

As for me, I left at Labyrinth. I prefer to have the happy memories of good times gone by on my Friar and Cabby. Maybe one day a DAOC 2 will come out, and Mythic will have learned something from WAR.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I used to play this a ton mainly on Mordred. Quit around the time ToA hit.

I check it out every ~18 months just to see how much its changed/stayed the same. Recently started up again to check out the clustering. Having fun with it as a secondary mmo, just rolling around in bg's now on my 26 merc.

Most of my 50's are either on hib, or on mordred though so I haven't had a chance to play endgame rvr since old frontiers.

Even with the lag, which is still mind boggling in this day and age, I have much more fun in PvP with Daoc than with WoW.

Oh somebody asked about Ywain1-10

All of them are connected and share capital cities and im pretty sure bg's/frontiers. The only thing that matters is a) housing and b) people might have to type out your server name when sending a tell if you aren't on the same one.

The housing thing is a big one, I stupidly put all my albs on Ywain1 before i knew that you can't buy a lot not on your home server. So I had to find some 29 theurg I had and moved him to ywain 4 to buy a house. Anyone on the account can use the house/vault, but they can't bind to it or pay rent. Its not that big of an issue since ywains 4 housing was pretty empty so my house is like 30 seconds from one of the market places.

If anyone is playing alb or hib on ywain let me know. I only play it casually now but a cool guild would be nice.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    buddylee wrote: »
    Maybe one day a DAOC 2 will come out, and Mythic will have learned something from WAR.

Considering that a large percentage of Mythic has been laid off for quite a while, and Mythic itself no longer exists for most intents and purposes, that is unlikely to happen.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I remember I resubbed about a year ago to play again. I logged in, there was no guild master of the guild I was because for some reason when your account goes inactive it removes you as guild master. I petitioned a GM and he's like "Sorry nothing I can do for you, you'll have to make a new guild." and I went on this tirade about shit like that is why they lost people to Blizzard.

Then I canceled my account and went back to WoW and leveled my warrior.

DAoC2 seems like it could be awesome, but, it would need a lot of love I doubt EA is likely to give them. Why bother when you can just release another sims game and make $texas.

I also played on Lancelot, albion.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Going to resub again. If any PAers are playing Hib side ond any Ywain servers, be sure to PM me on the forums. I have an awesome guild that likes to run Lab.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    fuck i just came back and should have realized ywain1's housing is going to be terrible. well looks like my 48 mentalist is sol :(

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST