As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And really the Iphone will be a competitor to the 3ds? Huh? Really? I know everyone and their grandmother has a smart phone these days but come on the games aren't even close to being anywhere as good. They aren't powerful enough, don't have the controls that a dedicated system does, and will never have the same games.

Though I agree with you overall, I think this board in general underestimates the iPhone. Not only is it selling like crazy, but it's selling games like crazy. 10 billion and counting in fact, and nine out of 10 of the top sellers are games. Sure, for most of us the iPhone isn't a replacement for other game devices. It's a supplement at best. But for the casual who just want to game a little, it satisfies their smaller itch for gaming and is more convenient than having two devices in your pocket.

Put it another way: take your paragraph, and replace "iPhone" with "Wii." That was pretty much the argument people gave for why the Wii wouldn't sell well. And we all know how accurate that prediction managed to be.

No no I don't argue that at all. I totally agree the iphone sells tons of games and I have tons of games on my iphone.

However they aren't the same kind of games. Comparing Deathworm or Lightbikes to MGS3 or Ocarina of Time is just pathetic and should never be done. They aren't the same kind of games at all. Much like with the ds there will be games that make people want to buy the system because you just wont be able to get that on an iphone. Things like Phoenix Wright, Layton, Pokemon, even nongamer people own dses for these things and I don't see that being any different with the 3ds.

But on the other hand dismissing his '3DS is a last-gen game machine' argument with games like Ocarina might be proving his point?

Technically, with that example, you could change his inflammatory headline to '3DS is a last-last-gen game machine' even as it is released 5 years into this gen! :P
    And I say that as someone who would happily repurchase OoT.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In any event, one topic I will continue to cover in the site is One Piece. It's my hope that someone will pick up the 3DS game as well as distribute the 3D episodes. Doing both could be what the series needs to be more publicly recognized as Bleach and Naruto (despite being far better than both shows combined).
    I assume you mean in America? In Japan, it's second only to Dragon Ball Z.

I uh, don't see how you couldn't know I was referring to the West. :?

Dunno if Funimation's deal includes the 3D episodes. I can only hope that it does.
    In any event, one topic I will continue to cover in the site is One Piece. It's my hope that someone will pick up the 3DS game as well as distribute the 3D episodes. Doing both could be what the series needs to be more publicly recognized as Bleach and Naruto (despite being far better than both shows combined).

God bless you.

I know you guys got an ongoing thread, but it saddens me that I can never visit it since I'm exclusively following the Anime and not the Manga. Don't want spoilers.
    I had a snot bubble from the latest episode because I was trying not to cry. :(

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Went by Gamestop and switched my preorder to the Aqua Blue. I was originally going for the black, but the display boxes for the systems arrived today and the blue looks REALLY sexy.

Also preordered:
    -Dead or Alive
    -Pilotwings
    -Steel Diver
    -Zelda
    -Star Fox
    -Kid Icarus
    -Mario Kart
    -Paper Mario

All the games but DoA and Samurai Warriors are listing at $39.99 (those 2 are at $49, but I assume that will change before release)

Currently Nintendogs, Steel Diver, Street Fighter, and Pilotwings are all Street Dated for the 27th, and DoA and Samurai warriors look to be launch releases too.

ManetherenWolf on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You can buy an iPhone for $200 and it has practical purposes in addition to letting you play games.
    You can buy a 3DS for $250 and it's just for games.

Which would you choose? On these forums, probably the 3DS. Your average parent? I think they'll lean towards the iPhone.

RainbowDespair on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You can buy an iPhone for $200 and it has practical purposes in addition to letting you play games.

Which would you choose? On these forums, probably the 3DS. Your average parent? I think they'll lean towards the iPhone.

Oh what is the 3DS's monthly fee?

I would never, ever buy my kid a phone with a data plan. Too big of a distraction.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited January 2011
    All the games but DoA and Samurai Warriors are listing at $39.99 (those 2 are at $49, but I assume that will change before release)

Wait, the default price of 3DS games is going to be $40? Not only that, but 3D upscaled ports are going to be $40 as well? Desire to get a 3DS fading, fading, gone.

RainbowDespair on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'm not totally sure about that. I don't know if the average parent knows very much about the applications of the iPhone past that it's an iPod and a phone. Not to mention if the kid loves Mario or Street Fighter Nintendo will probably be pushing those names around constantly. Again, like everyone has been saying it really depends on what kind of gamer the person is.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And really the Iphone will be a competitor to the 3ds? Huh? Really? I know everyone and their grandmother has a smart phone these days but come on the games aren't even close to being anywhere as good. They aren't powerful enough, don't have the controls that a dedicated system does, and will never have the same games.

Though I agree with you overall, I think this board in general underestimates the iPhone. Not only is it selling like crazy, but it's selling games like crazy. 10 billion and counting in fact, and nine out of 10 of the top sellers are games. Sure, for most of us the iPhone isn't a replacement for other game devices. It's a supplement at best. But for the casual who just want to game a little, it satisfies their smaller itch for gaming and is more convenient than having two devices in your pocket.

Put it another way: take your paragraph, and replace "iPhone" with "Wii." That was pretty much the argument people gave for why the Wii wouldn't sell well. And we all know how accurate that prediction managed to be.

No no I don't argue that at all. I totally agree the iphone sells tons of games and I have tons of games on my iphone.

However they aren't the same kind of games. Comparing Deathworm or Lightbikes to MGS3 or Ocarina of Time is just pathetic and should never be done. They aren't the same kind of games at all. Much like with the ds there will be games that make people want to buy the system because you just wont be able to get that on an iphone. Things like Phoenix Wright, Layton, Pokemon, even nongamer people own dses for these things and I don't see that being any different with the 3ds.

I think you missed the point I was making... there are loads of people who don't necessarily WANT Layton or Pokemon or Zelda. They're absolutely fine with Angry Birds. Again, those people aren't us. But we only make up a tiny fraction of the gaming market. It's the casuals that are the true driving force, and they're absolutely fine with not having deeper, more complex games. Simpler, quicker games scratch their itch for gaming. If that wasn't the case, the Wii wouldn't have continued to be the top-selling console for the fourth year running.

I'm not so sure about that. Those kind of people never bought a ds in the first place and would have no interest anyway. People who only play those kinds of quick iphone games don't buy 360s for instance but that still sells.

People who play larger games don't make up such a tiny part of the gaming market that with out people who only play angry birds a device will fail.

Would this scenario apply to the vast majority of people who would buy a DS? Probably not. However, this is the type of competition that nibbles away at the edges and sways those people who bought a DS for the most casual of reasons.

And they're out there. PA did a comic about Gabe's grandmother buying a DS. And when I went to Graceland, I actually saw another grandmother pull out a DS and take pictures of Elvis' jumpsuits. In fact, the extra-large DS was built with the very casual in mind, and came in neutral brown colors specifically to appeal to older people. There is an audience out there, and they can be swayed.

It's the same situation as the Wii vs. the 360. Are they complete 1 to 1 competitors? No. However, the Wii does nibble at the edges of the 360, in that the very casual players who would have bought a PS2 last gen for their very occasional gaming are now turning to the Wii instead of the more traditional gaming systems. The other guys can't afford to ignore that... in fact, that's the very reason we have Move and Kinect. Not because Sony and Microsoft wanted to compete in motion gaming, but because they wanted to compete in areas that the casuals were more interested in.

The same applies to the 3DS and the iPhone. Nintendo (and Sony, for that matter) can't afford to pretend Apple doesn't exist. In fact, Reggie recently said that, for the near term, their biggest competitor isn't Microsoft, it's Apple. And he wasn't talking about the mobile space... he was talking about ALL gaming.

Edit: Xenogears, while the iPhone does have a monthly fee, a bigger and bigger percentage of the cell phone market are now smartphones, which have even bigger monthly fees than regular cell phones. Apparently people don't care about that.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's also the pricing issue - the idea of a game like Etrian Odyssey, or Professor Layton, or Dragon Quest IX selling on the iPod/iPad for $30-$40 is ridiculous. Until prices like that become acceptable on the iPod/iPad, I don't think you're going to see too many in-depth games on those systems. Yes, there will be some, but so far, there really haven't been too many. I do think that day is coming that the prices will start going up, but it will certainly take time. And until those prices start inching upwards, the complex games will still have a home on portable dedicated gaming systems.

One big issue that I have with the Wired article is that it makes a big deal out of something that may actually be there at launch. It could be that Nintendo will release updated firmware on launch day - it's happened before. Now, I certainly agree that Nintendo could do a lot more with their online offerings, but to call it a "last-gen" system because one aspect of the system might not be in place at launch seems rather silly. If Nintendo doesn't get it out until, say, January 2012, then yes, I think there's a problem, but even if the store isn't available until 4-6 weeks after launch, I don't think that it will be that big of a deal, since the early adopters are going to be the ones who are likely to be most knowledgeable about online offerings and will eventually update. Also, unless you turn off StreetPass and don't buy any games outside of the launch window, you can't really avoid firmware updates. And if you do that, you're not likely going to be buying games online anyway, right?

I'm just hoping that NoA works as hard at some of the non-gaming online offerings as NoE seems to be. Get ESPN to offer 3D highlights. Or movie companies to offer 3D trailers (I know that idea's been talked about, but confirmation would be nice). Getting Hulu or Netflix working on it would be amazing.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I assume you mean in America? In Japan, it's second only to Dragon Ball Z.

I uh, don't see how you couldn't know I was referring to the West. :?

Dunno if Funimation's deal includes the 3D episodes. I can only hope that it does.

God bless you.

I know you guys got an ongoing thread, but it saddens me that I can never visit it since I'm exclusively following the Anime and not the Manga. Don't want spoilers.
    I had a snot bubble from the latest episode because I was trying not to cry. :(

It's cool though I'd say half the thread follows the anime and we spoiler everything. At any rate if you even slightly increase the chance of unlimited adventire 3DS coming here you will be a hero to me.

Not that the games are fantastic but fuck Franky in 3D. I need it!

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited January 2011

I would never, ever buy my kid a phone with a data plan. Too big of a distraction.

I wouldn't buy my kid an iPhone either, but judging from all of the teenagers I've seen with one, I'm in the minority here. Anyway, the point being that I can see parents being willing to spend that much money on something sort of useful like a phone. I can see parents spending that much money on a home console that the entire family can use. I have trouble seeing tons of parents spending that much on a portable game system for a single child.

RainbowDespair on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Before or after they've seen the 3D effect in person?

Also, why would any parent ever buy a DSi for their kid when for only $20-30 more they could get a piece of superior tech like the iPhone? They're practically the same price and the DS just doesn't have the features.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't mind paying $40 for a 3DS game or $250 for the console. If I buy a game, that means I expect to be entertained like I would on any console.

Hand held consoles really can push themselves to be equals to a PS3 or 360. Many games do that already, look at Peace Walker. I'm having an easier time saying its the best Metal Gear Solid game than saying its equal to MGS3 or 4.

I'm guessing Kojima had fun with Peace Walker and that's when said hand helds are the future. That being said.... Zone of the Enders for 3DS please.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
    edited January 2011

True story - today at school a kid was talking about the 3DS, very excited - said he was going to save up for one.

I was surprised (he's only 8) and asked him if he knew how much it was going to cost. He didn't.

When I said £230 you should have seen his D: face.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    pslong9 wrote: »
    There's also the pricing issue - the idea of a game like Etrian Odyssey, or Professor Layton, or Dragon Quest IX selling on the iPod/iPad for $30-$40 is ridiculous. Until prices like that become acceptable on the iPod/iPad, I don't think you're going to see too many in-depth games on those systems. Yes, there will be some, but so far, there really haven't been too many. I do think that day is coming that the prices will start going up, but it will certainly take time. And until those prices start inching upwards, the complex games will still have a home on portable dedicated gaming systems.

Well of course. The point that Cloud and others are making is for the most part, casual players don't care about those games. Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, and Cut The Rope, are just good enough for them that it doesn't matter. And once they have that platform, it's harder for them to justify paying for a game system alone.

The kids have the iPhones and iPod Touches already. They're out there in droves.
    Also, why would any parent ever buy a DSi for their kid when for only $20-30 more they could get a piece of superior tech like the iPhone? They're practically the same price and the DS just doesn't have the features.

Sporky, I know you get what we're talking about here. Let's not cloud a realistic discussion, because you believe we speak doom on the 3DS. We're not. But the mobile smartphone platforms are not something that one can ignore, anymore than Sony and Microsoft could ignore the Wii.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you had told an eight year old me what the monthly fee for an iphone was you'd have seen that same face.

My kids are getting burners for phones! Walkie Talkies if they don't behave!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited January 2011

Before or after they've seen the 3D effect in person?

How good is the 3D effect? What percentage of the population will it work with? How many people will get sick if they play a 3DS game for any period of time?

RainbowDespair on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd pick a 3DS over an iPhone but that's just me.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited January 2011

Don't most parents buying DSes for their children go with the cheaper Lite model anyway?

RainbowDespair on
    edited January 2011
    To be honest I don't see many kids (below their teens, say) choosing an iPhone over a 3DS. But adults, buying systems for themselves? That's a whole 'nother story.

cloudeagle on
    edited January 2011

Sporky, I know you get what we're talking about here. Let's not cloud a realistic discussion, because you believe we speak doom on the 3DS. We're not. But the mobile smartphone platforms are not something that one can ignore, anymore than Sony and Microsoft could ignore the Wii.

I'm not trying to cloud anything, the question was just raised as to whether a parent would buy a 3DS or an iPhone. I also raise the question whether they would buy a DS, something we can actually evaluate right now. I think it's totally valid.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited January 2011
    When talking about kids why are we talking about iPhones as if the iPod touch doesn't exist? There is no monthly fee.

Apple iPod touch 8GB (4th Generation) - £173.90

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Apple-iPod-touch-Generation/dp/B0040GIZTI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295559110&sr=1-1

Nintendo 3DS Handheld Console (Cosmos Black) - £219.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Handheld-Console-Cosmos-Black/dp/B004ISLDV0/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295559207&sr=1-3

Hmm. Almost £50 difference. Hells Bells.

Honestly? I'm not sure if the kids I work with would go with the iPod or 3DS. They LOVE smartphones.

Might ask them tomorrow. :rotate:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited January 2011

Don't most parents buying DSes for their children go with the cheaper Lite model anyway?

Do numbers from Japan count, where it's split up by device?

# Nintendo DSi LL - 28,370
    # Nintendo DSi - 26,548
    # Nintendo DS Lite - 1,539

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2011

Do numbers from Japan count, where it's split up by device?

# Nintendo DSi LL - 28,370
    # Nintendo DSi - 26,548
    # Nintendo DS Lite - 1,539

I imagine Japan would be skewed towards the newer models because everyone and their dog already has at least 3 different DSes.

Anyway, the iDevices are serious competition to Nintendo's portable devices - Nintendo themselves have even said so. Although I have no doubt that the 3DS will sell out its initial run fairly quickly, Nintendo pricing the 3DS at a higher price than the competition could end up hurting them in the long run.

RainbowDespair on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The touch isn't a smart phone. Again, the situation totally changes when you're not talking about the competition strictly in a gaming sense. The "casual" gaming market and the "hardcore" gaming audience don't really overlap that much. It's not like the DS would have sold badly if you tothe ok out all the people that were just getting it to buy Brain Age. If you ask ANY kid of weather they'd rather having an iTouch or a 3DS strictly for gaming purposes, and then tell them the line ups of games for each system, they're not going to pick the iTouch, unless the kid only has an interest in games like Angry Birds and Doodle Jump, in which case they were never in the market for the 3DS anyway. The 3DS will have all the titles that the hardcore gamer would be looking for. From a marketing sense they have all the recognizable names. It's the same reason Farmville didn't threaten any of the consoles or handhelds like people kept saying. They're not getting marketed to the same people.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited January 2011
    Do you suppose parents take obsolescence into account at all? Have they not noticed the turnover on iDevices?

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2011

I'm not trying to cloud anything, the question was just raised as to whether a parent would buy a 3DS or an iPhone. I also raise the question whether they would buy a DS, something we can actually evaluate right now. I think it's totally valid.

Fair enough. Momentum is important. A parent is more likely to buy a DSi to replace a broken DS in my opinion.

But standing on it's own and at the price tag given, I can see many parents ultimately making the decision to forgo this new system in lieu or an iPod Touch or iPhone. The utility of the iOS device is perceived as greater, the price is cheaper depending on your option, and with the advent of newer, more robust titles for established console publishers, the perceived (note the stress) gaming quality is the same.

I doubt the 3DS will fail, but it's possible we could see a situation where it settles in as the Xbox 360 of the portable market, while iOS takes the Wii spot.
    Do you suppose parents take obsolescence into account at all? Have they not noticed the turnover on iDevices?

This is part of issue with my issue with Apple, but it doesn't seem to phase average consumers much for some reason. I expect phone contracts have them conditioned to replacing portable consumer electronics every two years. It's totally asinine, but the stuff keeps selling with only minor tweaks every year.

Automaticzen on
    edited January 2011
    And of course the DS line has regular updates as well but rarely does it actually screw over owners of older hardware.

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2011
    What the hell is the PSP2 going to be?

Seriously, that's all I can think of. It's a potential wild card in what will be a predictable launch for the 3DS and a predictable response from Apple (3D iPhone).

edited January 2011

Seriously, that's all I can think of. It's a potential wild card in what will be a predictable launch for the 3DS and a predictable response from Apple (3D iPhone).

They can't do a 3D iPhone without buttons. Touching the 3D screen screws up the visuals.

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2011

It's a "wild card" only if you're playing by special rules that automatically make wild card holders lose the hand.

And honestly, I can't see Apple going 3D anytime soon. They're pretty damn risk-averse to playing the "me-too" game (even when it makes sense. See: lack of iPhone Flash, lack of intuitive two-button Mac mice, etc.).

cloudeagle on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

They do not.

God knows explaining it to them doesn't seem to work either.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited January 2011

Who the hell knows? Sony might be willing to actually play ball, being in third place this cycle, but generally, their arrogance gets in the way of smart business decisions. Their good ideas are hamstrung by random moments of insanity.

Automaticzen on
    edited January 2011
    Don't act like Nintendo isn't bursting with stubbornness.

"Who needs resolutions over 480p?

"No one would ever play online with strangers without friend codes"

"Patches? Let's just have people ship their memory cards to Japan"

• JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not to fucking mention region locking.

Jintor on
    edited January 2011
    Don't act like Nintendo isn't bursting with stubbornness.

"Who needs resolutions over 480p?

"Patches? Let's just have people ship their memory cards to Japan"

Oh they are. It's just in a different direction. Sony makes stupid hardware decisions. Nintendo just doesn't care about online and digital delivery. Microsoft just walks around until someone else does it right and then copies them.

Note: These are low-level generalizations. The companies tend to have more problems than these.

Automaticzen on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    By the way, Snuggles, the weirdness you're having with GAF is primarily that you're trying to see it as a collective entity. It's not; it's just another internet hivemind, albeit an exclusive and well-informed one (most of the time). Also their moderators are considerably... well... more hivemindy than ours.

Jintor on
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Actually, you usually can play online with strangers without friend codes :P But yeah, I know what you mean, Nintendo is and always was pretty stubborn.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

True story - today at school a kid was talking about the 3DS, very excited - said he was going to save up for one.

I was surprised (he's only 8) and asked him if he knew how much it was going to cost. He didn't.

When I said £230 you should have seen his D: face.

Would you call that his.. *puts on sunglasses* no face?

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited January 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    By the way, Snuggles, the weirdness you're having with GAF is primarily that you're trying to see it as a collective entity. It's not; it's just another internet hivemind, albeit an exclusive and well-informed one (most of the time). Also their moderators are considerably... well... more hivemindy than ours.

See, that's what makes it more frightening. There's almost no disagreeing or debating in that forum. Unless it's something completely nonfactual (like Capcom being responsible for Castlevania, which they then turned into a meme and dragged it out because HA HA HA THAT IS SO FUNNY), someone will post an opinion and pretty much everyone else will treat it like some sort of bandwagon to get on.

The best thing about a forum like this is that people have their own opinions but also open to other interpretations. Back and forth dialog over there consists of avatar quoting and emoticons.